|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Nine: The Smoking Gun, Experimental Signatures.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following theory was NOT developed in order to try to resolve the conflicts between quantum mechanics and general relativity?
(a) Quantum field theory.
(b) Inflationary theory.
(c) Superstring theory.
(d) Quantum electrodynamics.
2. What is the quantum, or messenger particle, of gravity?
(a) The gravino.
(b) The graviton.
(c) The Calabi-Yau particle.
(d) The Einstein boson.
3. What is quantum foam?
(a) Particles that are scattered from their normal positions by quantum interference.
(b) The rapidly changing spatial distortions at the Planck length.
(c) The faint material ejected by black holes.
(d) The mixture of short-lived particles observed after a matter and anti-matter collision.
4. Which of the following methods has been used to determine the shape of the Calabi-Yau space?
(a) The finite elements method.
(b) Matrix manipulation.
(c) Discrete mathematics.
(d) Perturbation theory.
5. Which of the following accurately describes the phenomenon of "quantum tunneling"?
(a) Particles can sometimes "borrow" energy to move in ways impossible in classical physics.
(b) Particles with high energy can vanish in one location, instantly appearing in another.
(c) Some particles are linked together, no matter how much space separates them.
(d) High-energy waves can penetrate the fabric of space-time for very short periods of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the difficulties in determining the shape of the Calabi-Yau space?
2. What is the traditional method of testing theories in physics?
3. If a clock were accelerated to nearly the speed of light for a year's time, which of the following would be true of its reading at the end of that time?
4. What property did the double-slit experiment demonstrate that light has?
5. What rule did Max Planck discover the electromagnetic waves bounded in a container, such as an oven, must follow?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)