|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Nine: The Smoking Gun, Experimental Signatures.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following qualities must a physical law have in order to be considered symmetric?
(a) It is valid for both matter and energy.
(b) It does not depend on where or when it is applied.
(c) It is valid for both matter and anti-matter.
(d) It works regardless of the spin of the particles involved.
2. Which of the follow best describes a boson?
(a) The super-partner of a proton.
(b) The supersymmetric version of a proton.
(c) A particle of matter.
(d) A particle of energy, a messenger particle for a force.
3. What is the quantum, or messenger particle, of the weak force?
(a) The Higgs boson.
(b) The weak gauge boson.
(c) The up quark.
(d) The neutrino.
4. Which of the following is a correct statement, based on the theory of special relativity?
(a) Time is always the same to all observers, but space is not.
(b) Time and space are not experienced exactly the same by all observers
(c) Movement can only be measured relative to very massive objects, such as stars.
(d) Energy only exists relative to mass.
5. Which of the following theory was NOT developed in order to try to resolve the conflicts between quantum mechanics and general relativity?
(a) Quantum electrodynamics.
(b) Quantum field theory.
(c) Inflationary theory.
(d) Superstring theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first version of string theory did not include any particles of _____.
2. Richard Feynman's "sum over paths" theory states that in the double-slit experiment, an electron behaves in what way?
3. What is the quantum, or messenger particle, of the strong force?
4. Why can the objects predicted by string theory not be observed?
5. According to special relativity, which of the following is true about the passage of time for an observer moving near the speed of light?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)