|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Nine: The Smoking Gun, Experimental Signatures.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would an outside observer notice about an object moving near the speed of light?
(a) It would appear vastly larger than it would at rest.
(b) It would appear to move slower near a gravitational field.
(c) It would be shorted in the direction of its movement.
(d) It would not be observable under any circumstances.
2. What spin do all particles of matter have?
3. Which of the following methods has been used to determine the shape of the Calabi-Yau space?
(a) Perturbation theory.
(b) Matrix manipulation.
(c) The finite elements method.
(d) Discrete mathematics.
4. What discovery was made that incorporated gravitational force into quantum mechanics via string theory?
(a) A vibrational pattern with the properties of the graviton was discovered.
(b) Gravity was found to be supersymmetric.
(c) At extremely small scales, gravity is fused with the strong force.
(d) Gravity could be made symmetric only if the graviton is a string.
5. In quantum mechanics, what is symmetry breaking?
(a) When two fused fundamental forces become separated out.
(b) When the symmetry between a electrical and magnetic field is broken at high energy levels.
(c) When an asymmetrical matter and anti-matter pair is created.
(d) The primary reason that the theory is incompatible with general relativity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was the first string theory?
2. Which of the following is true regarding the mass and spin of a pair of superpartners?
3. Why are the fluctuations that quantum physics predicts not observable in everyday life?
4. What type of motion cannot be felt or sensed by the moving observer?
5. What is the quantum, or messenger particle, of gravity?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)