|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pantheon: Who are the only beings these gods can empathize with?
2. Narcisuss: What is the purpose of life in this story?
3. Blueprints: What do the Punishers use the code for?
4. Will-o-the-Wisp: What are the viewers in the lounge not allowed to see?
5. Conservation: What happens to the afterlife in this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Microbe: Why doesn't God know that man exists in this afterlife?
2. Ineffable: In this afterlife everything dies. People die, plays die, furniture dies. However, what is unique about these things in the afterlife?
3. Death Watch: Why would anyone feel the need to install a death switch on someone's computer?
4. Death Watch: How did the death switch become a problem for those who are alive?
5. Narcissus: What was the purpose of creation in this afterlife?
6. Absence: How does the absence of God contribute to the wars that break out in the afterlife?
7. Prism: God decided to allow people to display different images of themselves in the afterlife. Much like light splitting through a prism. However, he soon discovered that this wouldn't work. Why not?
8. Reversal: What is the difference between your remembered life and your second life that causes grief for many when they live the second time?
9. Quantum: What is so confusing about this afterlife?
10. Conservation: Eventually the quark must rest and recover the energy it needs to keep the universe going. What happens to the afterlife when the quark goes into the period of "incompleteness"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
God has slipped into seclusion because he is afraid that he will disappoint man. You see, he created man by complete accident. As man becomes smarter it is harder for God to impress him.
What do you think about this? Do you think science has made it harder for people to be impressed by God? Why or why not? Should God feel like an amateur magician because his creation of man was a mistake? Should he feel good because man is a great creation? Why do you feel the way you do?
Please keep your answers within the context of the story.
Essay Topic 2
God is missing and no one knows where he is. To make matters worse, God has been gone for so long some in Heaven are beginning to believe he never existed to begin with. As a result wars break out that mirror the religious wars on earth. Why does this happen? What are the people in Heaven fighting over? What do the people on earth fight over? Do you think it is important for those of Heaven and earth to have a God? Why or why not?
Please base your answers on the context of the story, not on your personal religious beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
The Collectors have created human beings in an effort to understand why some things stick together. They study man to discover why some human relationships work while others fail. So far their experiment has been both costly and time consuming as they still are baffled by human relationships.
1) List the reasons in the story that people stay together in relationships.
2) List the reasons in the story that people break off relationships.
Pretend you are the Collector who must come to a final conclusion about human adhesion once and for all. What do you conclude is the reason man forms lasting relationships? Why do they form impermanent ones? Explain your answer using evidence the Collectors have in the story.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)