|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Death Watch: What happens when a computer has been idle for a number of days?
2. Conservation: What happens to the afterlife in this story?
3. Quantum: What does the angel notice about the people in this afterlife?
4. Will-o-the-Wisp: What are the viewers in the lounge not allowed to see?
5. Graveyard of the Gods: How many gods are in the afterlife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Absence: What has happened to the afterlife in this story?
2. Death Watch: Why would anyone feel the need to install a death switch on someone's computer?
3. Prism: God decided to allow people to display different images of themselves in the afterlife. Much like light splitting through a prism. However, he soon discovered that this wouldn't work. Why not?
4. Conservation: Eventually the quark must rest and recover the energy it needs to keep the universe going. What happens to the afterlife when the quark goes into the period of "incompleteness"?
5. Incentive: Why do actors often resent their job?
6. Pantheon: There are many gods in this afterlife. In fact, there is a god of just about everything you can think of. As a result, these gods do a lot of fighting with each other. Why is it that these gods can empathize with humans?
7. Will-o-the-Wisp: People in this afterlife get to watch the happenings on earth. Many people enjoy watching so much that they become angry when they must leave. What is it that these people don't know about what they are seeing?
8. Absence: How does the absence of God contribute to the wars that break out in the afterlife?
9. Quantum: What scenario do people find the most familiar in this afterlife?
10. Incentive: Why do the actors in this afterlife wish to be Beneficiaries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
God has slipped into seclusion because he is afraid that he will disappoint man. You see, he created man by complete accident. As man becomes smarter it is harder for God to impress him.
What do you think about this? Do you think science has made it harder for people to be impressed by God? Why or why not? Should God feel like an amateur magician because his creation of man was a mistake? Should he feel good because man is a great creation? Why do you feel the way you do?
Please keep your answers within the context of the story.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of this story the man behind the curtain tells the brave man that true bravery is measured by whether a person can face the absence of the Creator. How do you feel about this? How would you feel if you believed all your life there was a Creator and suddenly found out there wasn't? Would you be scared? Happy? Nervous? Why would you feel the way you do? How does facing this reality show that someone is brave?
Essay Topic 3
God is missing and no one knows where he is. To make matters worse, God has been gone for so long some in Heaven are beginning to believe he never existed to begin with. As a result wars break out that mirror the religious wars on earth. Why does this happen? What are the people in Heaven fighting over? What do the people on earth fight over? Do you think it is important for those of Heaven and earth to have a God? Why or why not?
Please base your answers on the context of the story, not on your personal religious beliefs.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)