|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Search: What happens at the moment of death?
2. Seed: What did humans develop from?
3. Ineffable: What is not generally known about what happens when these things die?
4. Prism: How does God solve his problem?
5. Incentive: What are the people called who are unaware that death does not exist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Blueprints: How can the numbers in this story be both a reward and a punishment?
2. Impulse: In this afterlife people are the same as computer chips. What happened to people that was not anticipated by the Programmers who created them?
3. Microbe: Why doesn't God know that man exists in this afterlife?
4. Apostasy: In this afterlife God is anxious to reveal the Book of Truth to everyone who enters. She has always feared that some people would figure out the answers to life before she could tell them. Why does she banish apostates from her Heaven?
5. Subjunctive: How is a person judged in this afterlife?
6. Death Watch: Why would anyone feel the need to install a death switch on someone's computer?
7. Reversal: What is the difference between your remembered life and your second life that causes grief for many when they live the second time?
8. Seed: In this story man was created by accident. How did that happen?
9. Subjunctive: What is the punishment a person faces in the afterlife if they are a failure during their living life?
10. Will-o-the-Wisp: People in this afterlife get to watch the happenings on earth. Many people enjoy watching so much that they become angry when they must leave. What is it that these people don't know about what they are seeing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Man has come up with a way to create his own afterlife. People in this story design the afterlife of their dreams and eagerly anticipate the moment when they can spend eternity in their ideal Heaven. However, after death they find out that this isn't true; their great expectations are not met.
1) How does God feel about man's disappointment?
2) What does God think has caused this?
3) How has man's blind faith in an afterlife ruined his experience once he arrives in the afterlife?
Essay Topic 2
The Collectors have created human beings in an effort to understand why some things stick together. They study man to discover why some human relationships work while others fail. So far their experiment has been both costly and time consuming as they still are baffled by human relationships.
1) List the reasons in the story that people stay together in relationships.
2) List the reasons in the story that people break off relationships.
Pretend you are the Collector who must come to a final conclusion about human adhesion once and for all. What do you conclude is the reason man forms lasting relationships? Why do they form impermanent ones? Explain your answer using evidence the Collectors have in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Man wakes up to confusion in this afterlife. They have died the first death and are now in Purgatory awaiting the second, and final, death. What causes the final death here? Why would this kill a person? What do you think happens after this death?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)