|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Inda think you never sleep with?
2. What makes Chiquita want to drown in the Pacific?
3. What stops Inda from pulling out her gun?
4. What does Inda think is going on between her brother and Chiquita?
5. Which item of Daniel's furniture does Valerie feel is waiting for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michael reveal himself?
2. Does Chiquita believe her story?
3. What happens in the mall?
4. What motivates Chiquita to find her mother?
5. How does this meeting between Chiquita and Bae-Bae go?
6. When does Valerie light the match?
7. Why does the fire not start?
8. How does Chiquita explain the situation?
9. What did Chiquita and Brown actually do?
10. What has happens in the next few months?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Valerie give up her dreams? How does she come to the realization that she is holding herself back?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure of the book:
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story?
How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)