|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Hardcastle attempting to do with his servants?
2. When Kate agrees to accept the young man if he asks for her hand, how does her father tease her?
3. Before offering to give directions to Marlow and Hastings, what does Tony want to know?
4. What does Tony urge his mother to tell Constance about the jewels?
5. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
2. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
3. When Mrs. Hardcastle sees Tony and Constance together, what does she assume?
4. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
5. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
6. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
7. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
8. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
9. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
10. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three of four scenes in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER that you consider to be very funny. Write about the words and actions that make the scenes comical in nature. Compare those scenes to movie or TV comedies today and show how early writers like Goldsmith influenced our ideas of what is funny in a play or film.
Essay Topic 2
The jewels are an important element in the story, although they are never seen. Using this example, write an essay about how valuables often become more important than people. Use Mrs. Hardcastle to show that her greed for keeping the jewels in her family was actually more important to her than Tony's happiness.
Essay Topic 3
Words have changed their meaning since Goldsmith wrote this play. For example, the word modesty is used in an entirely different way from the way we use it today. Find at least ten examples of words that have a different meaning today and write a paper showing how they are used in the play and how we might use those words today. In some cases, it might be that the word in the play is no longer used and you will need to provide a modern word that expresses the same idea.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)