|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Hardcastle's complaint with her husband?
2. What does Hardcastle assume from Kate's comments about Marlow?
3. When Mrs. Hardcastle tries to get Tony to say home one night, where is he planning to go?
4. What is Hardcastle's toast after passing out the punch?
5. When Hastings offers them something already made up, what is Marlow's aside to Hastings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hastings insist that Constance continue the ruse that they are in an inn?
2. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
3. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
4. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
5. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
6. What is Mr. Hardcastle's first impression of Marlow and his friend Hastings?
7. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
8. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
9. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
10. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
Essay Topic 2
The jewels are an important element in the story, although they are never seen. Using this example, write an essay about how valuables often become more important than people. Use Mrs. Hardcastle to show that her greed for keeping the jewels in her family was actually more important to her than Tony's happiness.
Essay Topic 3
Fashion wigs were the style in the 18th century. Research their construction, upkeep, various types, and prices. Write about the process of making a fashion wig. Then give your impression of what Mrs. Hardcastle's homemade wig might have looked like. Kate and Miss Deville would wear wigs when they dressed for society. Very likely Sir Charles wore a powdered wig. Marlow and Hastings wigs were probably a natural color. Describe in your paper what the wigs of each of these characters probably looked like.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)