|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Marlow envy Hastings?
2. What does Mr. Hardcastle say Marlow has to do?
3. Hardcastle does not recognize the insults at first and attempts to do what?
4. How do Hastings and Marlow continue to ignore Hardcastle?
5. What happens when Hardcastle asks the servants about serving wine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
2. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
3. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
4. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
5. Why does Hastings insist that Constance continue the ruse that they are in an inn?
6. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
7. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
8. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
9. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
10. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jumping to conclusions is a thread that runs throughout the play. Select several instances of this and write a paper discussing the fallacy of jumping to conclusions. In your paper evaluate whether that is a fairly universal human trait. Give at least one example other than from the play when someone jumped to wrong conclusions and the effect it had on the people involved.
Essay Topic 2
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is filled with complex sub plots. Write a paper on how these various plots play against each other in the play. Specifically draw your illustrations from the plot of Mrs. Hardcastle to marry Tony off to Constance against Constance's determination to marry Hastings. The main plot of getting Kate and Marlow together is complicated by the reasons various characters have to continue the deception with Marlow. Draw a parallel between Hardcastle and Marlow since he does not find out about Tony's trick until late in the play. Explain in your paper how each of these complications is necessary to the story.
Essay Topic 3
The jewels are an important element in the story, although they are never seen. Using this example, write an essay about how valuables often become more important than people. Use Mrs. Hardcastle to show that her greed for keeping the jewels in her family was actually more important to her than Tony's happiness.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)