|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Hardcastle's response to Mrs. Hardcastle's complaining that he only likes old things.
2. What does Hardcastle say about the servants overhearing one of his funny stories?
3. What does Tony tell Marlow and Hastings about the owner of the inn?
4. What is Mrs. Hardcastle's state of mind when she returns to the living room?
5. Before offering to give directions to Marlow and Hastings, what does Tony want to know?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
2. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
3. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
4. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
5. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
6. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
7. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
8. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
9. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
10. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tony is unmoved by his mother's attempts to marry him off to Constance. He only has eyes for the barmaid Bet Bouncer. Marlow dislikes Kate when they first meet but falls hard for Kate as a barmaid. Using those examples, write an essay entitled Beauty Is in the Eye of the Beholder.
Essay Topic 2
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is filled with complex sub plots. Write a paper on how these various plots play against each other in the play. Specifically draw your illustrations from the plot of Mrs. Hardcastle to marry Tony off to Constance against Constance's determination to marry Hastings. The main plot of getting Kate and Marlow together is complicated by the reasons various characters have to continue the deception with Marlow. Draw a parallel between Hardcastle and Marlow since he does not find out about Tony's trick until late in the play. Explain in your paper how each of these complications is necessary to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Education in the 18th century was limited almost exclusively to the upper classes. Using Mr. Hardcastle's servants and Tony's inability to read Hastings' letter, write a paper on the disadvantages of illiteracy. Carry the idea on to the 21st century and how important education is today.
This section contains 2,233 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)