|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Hardcastle attempting to do with his servants?
2. After the meal problem is settled, what demands do Marlow and Hastings make?
3. Left behind as Hardcastle and Marlow go to the bedrooms, who does Hastings see?
4. When Marlow and Hastings enter the Three Pigeons, Marlow is complaining about the distance they came. What does Hastings say?
5. As the play opens, who are the two characters who enter from the right?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
2. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
3. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
4. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
5. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
6. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
7. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
8. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
9. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
10. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the old adage, "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive," write a paper on the way lies keep complicating the plot of SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER. Use the lies and deceptions on the character of Marlow to address your point. Discuss how there might have been another way to handle Marlow by telling him the truth and asking his help in the elopement. Notice how Hastings' insistence on maintaining the prank is based on his assumption of how Marlow would react to the truth.
Essay Topic 2
Tony is unmoved by his mother's attempts to marry him off to Constance. He only has eyes for the barmaid Bet Bouncer. Marlow dislikes Kate when they first meet but falls hard for Kate as a barmaid. Using those examples, write an essay entitled Beauty Is in the Eye of the Beholder.
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are a writer for an 18th-century newspaper and write a critique of Mr. Goldsmith's play. In your critique be sure to mention Goldsmith's departure from the sentimental comedy of his day. Note the passages in the play that would border on the scandalous in his time. Discuss the continuity of the play and the use of subplots. Detail your opinion about the believability of the characters.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)