Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing about the man whose name is Marlow that Kate does not particularly like?
2. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
3. Who is Hardcastle reminded of when he hears the word retreat?
4. Why does Constance not believe that Mrs. Hardcastle has lost her jewels?
5. What suggestion is made that the landlady might do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
2. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
3. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
4. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
5. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
6. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
7. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
8. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
9. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
10. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
Essay Topic 1
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research about 18th century English inns. From your research, explain how Mr. Hardcastle's house could have reasonably been taken for an inn. Continue your paper to show how this kind of plot would not work today. Then come up with an idea of how you could mislead someone about a private residence today, e.g., a rooming house.
Essay Topic 3
Fashion wigs were the style in the 18th century. Research their construction, upkeep, various types, and prices. Write about the process of making a fashion wig. Then give your impression of what Mrs. Hardcastle's homemade wig might have looked like. Kate and Miss Deville would wear wigs when they dressed for society. Very likely Sir Charles wore a powdered wig. Marlow and Hastings wigs were probably a natural color. Describe in your paper what the wigs of each of these characters probably looked like.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)