|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
2. When Hardcastle enters the room, how does Marlow indicate he is dismissed?
3. When Hastings offers them something already made up, what is Marlow's aside to Hastings?
4. Who does Mrs. Hardcastle dote on?
5. What refreshment does Marlow ask of Hardcastle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
2. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
3. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
4. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
5. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
6. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
7. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
8. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
9. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
10. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
Essay Topic 2
Staging of plays in Goldsmith's day was much different from the way it is today. There was no curtain. At the end of a scene, the actors all walked off the stage and the stagehands came in and changed the backdrop and the furniture. SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER has stood the test of time, however, and is still staged today. Write a paper about how you would stage the play and handle the different scene changes.
Essay Topic 3
Jumping to conclusions is a thread that runs throughout the play. Select several instances of this and write a paper discussing the fallacy of jumping to conclusions. In your paper evaluate whether that is a fairly universal human trait. Give at least one example other than from the play when someone jumped to wrong conclusions and the effect it had on the people involved.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)