|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of sales pitch does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter?
2. Why is Tony suddenly brave enough to play a prank on Hardcastle and his guests.
3. What is Marlow's experience with proper young ladies?
4. What does Tony warn them of once they get to the inn?
5. What does Mrs. Hardcastle say their mansion looks like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
2. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
3. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
4. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
5. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
6. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
7. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
8. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
9. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
10. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
Essay Topic 1
Research the 18th century British carriages. Specifically look up the post or mail coach that is mentioned several times in the play. In your paper describe the carriages and the social implications in the culture of the times. Write about how these carriages were precursors of modern luxury means of transportation.
Essay Topic 2
Staging of plays in Goldsmith's day was much different from the way it is today. There was no curtain. At the end of a scene, the actors all walked off the stage and the stagehands came in and changed the backdrop and the furniture. SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER has stood the test of time, however, and is still staged today. Write a paper about how you would stage the play and handle the different scene changes.
Essay Topic 3
What is often called a practical joke is more often something that causes great pain and embarrassment to an innocent victim. Tony's joke about the inn was really meant to embarrass Mr. Hardcastle, however, it caused suffering to Marlow and nearly wrecked any possibility of his marrying Kate. Using examples of jokes and tricks from the play, write an essay about how they are usually not funny and can often be very harmful.
This section contains 2,120 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)