|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlow and Hastings enter the Three Pigeons, Marlow is complaining about the distance they came. What does Hastings say?
2. What funny comment does Hardcastle make to the audience about the behavior of Marlow and Hastings?
3. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
4. What argument does the subject of age bring up between the Hardcastles?
5. What is Tony's reply when Hastings asks how he managed to get the jewels?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Hardcastle sees Tony and Constance together, what does she assume?
2. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
3. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
4. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
5. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
6. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
7. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
8. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
9. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
10. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asides are devices used in many plays and melodramas. They are used to let the audience know what a character is thinking, to let the audience know what has happened off stage, and to whisper something to another character onstage without letting other characters know what is being said. Write a paper using asides from SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER and give your opinion as to their effectiveness and contribution to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Words have changed their meaning since Goldsmith wrote this play. For example, the word modesty is used in an entirely different way from the way we use it today. Find at least ten examples of words that have a different meaning today and write a paper showing how they are used in the play and how we might use those words today. In some cases, it might be that the word in the play is no longer used and you will need to provide a modern word that expresses the same idea.
Essay Topic 3
From the old adage, "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive," write a paper on the way lies keep complicating the plot of SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER. Use the lies and deceptions on the character of Marlow to address your point. Discuss how there might have been another way to handle Marlow by telling him the truth and asking his help in the elopement. Notice how Hastings' insistence on maintaining the prank is based on his assumption of how Marlow would react to the truth.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)