Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing about the man whose name is Marlow that Kate does not particularly like?
2. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
3. Who is Hardcastle reminded of when he hears the word retreat?
4. Why does Constance not believe that Mrs. Hardcastle has lost her jewels?
5. What suggestion is made that the landlady might do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
2. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
3. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
4. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
5. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
6. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
7. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
8. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
9. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
10. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
Essay Topic 1
Fashion wigs were the style in the 18th century. Research their construction, upkeep, various types, and prices. Write about the process of making a fashion wig. Then give your impression of what Mrs. Hardcastle's homemade wig might have looked like. Kate and Miss Deville would wear wigs when they dressed for society. Very likely Sir Charles wore a powdered wig. Marlow and Hastings wigs were probably a natural color. Describe in your paper what the wigs of each of these characters probably looked like.
Essay Topic 2
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is filled with complex sub plots. Write a paper on how these various plots play against each other in the play. Specifically draw your illustrations from the plot of Mrs. Hardcastle to marry Tony off to Constance against Constance's determination to marry Hastings. The main plot of getting Kate and Marlow together is complicated by the reasons various characters have to continue the deception with Marlow. Draw a parallel between Hardcastle and Marlow since he does not find out about Tony's trick until late in the play. Explain in your paper how each of these complications is necessary to the story.
Essay Topic 3
What is often called a practical joke is more often something that causes great pain and embarrassment to an innocent victim. Tony's joke about the inn was really meant to embarrass Mr. Hardcastle, however, it caused suffering to Marlow and nearly wrecked any possibility of his marrying Kate. Using examples of jokes and tricks from the play, write an essay about how they are usually not funny and can often be very harmful.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)