Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing about the man whose name is Marlow that Kate does not particularly like?
2. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
3. Who is Hardcastle reminded of when he hears the word retreat?
4. Why does Constance not believe that Mrs. Hardcastle has lost her jewels?
5. What suggestion is made that the landlady might do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
2. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
3. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
4. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
5. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
6. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
7. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
8. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
9. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
10. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
Fashion wigs were the style in the 18th century. Research their construction, upkeep, various types, and prices. Write about the process of making a fashion wig. Then give your impression of what Mrs. Hardcastle's homemade wig might have looked like. Kate and Miss Deville would wear wigs when they dressed for society. Very likely Sir Charles wore a powdered wig. Marlow and Hastings wigs were probably a natural color. Describe in your paper what the wigs of each of these characters probably looked like.
From the old adage, "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive," write a paper on the way lies keep complicating the plot of SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER. Use the lies and deceptions on the character of Marlow to address your point. Discuss how there might have been another way to handle Marlow by telling him the truth and asking his help in the elopement. Notice how Hastings' insistence on maintaining the prank is based on his assumption of how Marlow would react to the truth.
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)