|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
2. What argument does the subject of age bring up between the Hardcastles?
3. How does Tony calm down Constance?
4. Who is Hardcastle reminded of when he hears the word retreat?
5. What is Mr. Hardcastle attempting to do with his servants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
2. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
3. When Mrs. Hardcastle sees Tony and Constance together, what does she assume?
4. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
5. What is Mr. Hardcastle's first impression of Marlow and his friend Hastings?
6. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
7. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
8. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
9. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
10. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the 18th century British carriages. Specifically look up the post or mail coach that is mentioned several times in the play. In your paper describe the carriages and the social implications in the culture of the times. Write about how these carriages were precursors of modern luxury means of transportation.
Essay Topic 2
Staging of plays in Goldsmith's day was much different from the way it is today. There was no curtain. At the end of a scene, the actors all walked off the stage and the stagehands came in and changed the backdrop and the furniture. SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER has stood the test of time, however, and is still staged today. Write a paper about how you would stage the play and handle the different scene changes.
Essay Topic 3
Education in the 18th century was limited almost exclusively to the upper classes. Using Mr. Hardcastle's servants and Tony's inability to read Hastings' letter, write a paper on the disadvantages of illiteracy. Carry the idea on to the 21st century and how important education is today.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)