|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony urge his mother to tell Constance about the jewels?
2. What does Tony do when he discovers that Marlow and Hastings are hopelessly lost?
3. What does Mr. Hardcastle tell his wife when she suggests that Tony is consumptive.
4. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
5. What suggestion is made that the landlady might do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
2. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
3. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
4. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
5. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
6. Why does Hastings insist that Constance continue the ruse that they are in an inn?
7. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
8. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
9. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
10. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fashion wigs were the style in the 18th century. Research their construction, upkeep, various types, and prices. Write about the process of making a fashion wig. Then give your impression of what Mrs. Hardcastle's homemade wig might have looked like. Kate and Miss Deville would wear wigs when they dressed for society. Very likely Sir Charles wore a powdered wig. Marlow and Hastings wigs were probably a natural color. Describe in your paper what the wigs of each of these characters probably looked like.
Essay Topic 2
Research the 18th century British carriages. Specifically look up the post or mail coach that is mentioned several times in the play. In your paper describe the carriages and the social implications in the culture of the times. Write about how these carriages were precursors of modern luxury means of transportation.
Essay Topic 3
The jewels are an important element in the story, although they are never seen. Using this example, write an essay about how valuables often become more important than people. Use Mrs. Hardcastle to show that her greed for keeping the jewels in her family was actually more important to her than Tony's happiness.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)