|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Hardcastle attempting to do with his servants?
2. Hardcastle does not recognize the insults at first and attempts to do what?
3. What is Hardcastle's reaction when Kate enters the room?
4. What does Kate say to Constance about her brother Tony?
5. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
2. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
3. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
4. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
5. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
6. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
7. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
8. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
9. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
10. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is a farce comedy. Explain what makes it a farce. Use selections from the play to point out improbable events and situations. Point out the characters who give the play a comical tone. Make mention of the plot twists and turns that would not happen in real life. Explain the need for an audience to suspend rational thought to enjoy a farce.
Essay Topic 2
Staging of plays in Goldsmith's day was much different from the way it is today. There was no curtain. At the end of a scene, the actors all walked off the stage and the stagehands came in and changed the backdrop and the furniture. SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER has stood the test of time, however, and is still staged today. Write a paper about how you would stage the play and handle the different scene changes.
Essay Topic 3
The jewels are an important element in the story, although they are never seen. Using this example, write an essay about how valuables often become more important than people. Use Mrs. Hardcastle to show that her greed for keeping the jewels in her family was actually more important to her than Tony's happiness.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)