|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hardcastle say the servants are like their betters?
2. What does Mr. Hardcastle tell his wife when she suggests that Tony is consumptive.
3. What is Tony looking forward to in the near future?
4. What dichotomy does Marlow bewail?
5. When Hardcastle enters the room, how does Marlow indicate he is dismissed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Constance attempt to stop Mrs. Hardcastle from reading the note?
2. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
3. How is the scene set up when Marlow arrives to speak with Kate?
4. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
5. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
6. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
7. Why does Hastings insist that Constance continue the ruse that they are in an inn?
8. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
9. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
10. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
Essay Topic 2
Unseen central objects in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER are the jewels. These jewels were not very secure in Mrs. Hardcastle's locked bureau drawer. The British obsession with jewels goes back many centuries and may be best illustrated by the Royal Crown jewels of the monarchs. Research some of the most spectacular crown jewels and write a paper about their value and how they are kept safe.
Essay Topic 3
Select three of four scenes in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER that you consider to be very funny. Write about the words and actions that make the scenes comical in nature. Compare those scenes to movie or TV comedies today and show how early writers like Goldsmith influenced our ideas of what is funny in a play or film.
This section contains 2,151 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)