|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing about the man whose name is Marlow that Kate does not particularly like?
2. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
3. Who is Hardcastle reminded of when he hears the word retreat?
4. Why does Constance not believe that Mrs. Hardcastle has lost her jewels?
5. What suggestion is made that the landlady might do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
2. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
3. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
4. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
5. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
6. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
7. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
8. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
9. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
10. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
Essay Topic 1
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is a farce comedy. Explain what makes it a farce. Use selections from the play to point out improbable events and situations. Point out the characters who give the play a comical tone. Make mention of the plot twists and turns that would not happen in real life. Explain the need for an audience to suspend rational thought to enjoy a farce.
Essay Topic 2
Staging of plays in Goldsmith's day was much different from the way it is today. There was no curtain. At the end of a scene, the actors all walked off the stage and the stagehands came in and changed the backdrop and the furniture. SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER has stood the test of time, however, and is still staged today. Write a paper about how you would stage the play and handle the different scene changes.
Essay Topic 3
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
This section contains 2,128 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)