|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hardcastle assume from Kate's comments about Marlow?
2. What is Marlow's reaction when he sees the menu for the night's supper?
3. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
4. What does Mr. Hardcastle say Marlow has to do?
5. What happens when Hardcastle hears a coach drive up in front of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
2. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
3. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
4. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
5. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
6. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
7. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
8. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
9. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
10. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Words have changed their meaning since Goldsmith wrote this play. For example, the word modesty is used in an entirely different way from the way we use it today. Find at least ten examples of words that have a different meaning today and write a paper showing how they are used in the play and how we might use those words today. In some cases, it might be that the word in the play is no longer used and you will need to provide a modern word that expresses the same idea.
Essay Topic 2
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is filled with complex sub plots. Write a paper on how these various plots play against each other in the play. Specifically draw your illustrations from the plot of Mrs. Hardcastle to marry Tony off to Constance against Constance's determination to marry Hastings. The main plot of getting Kate and Marlow together is complicated by the reasons various characters have to continue the deception with Marlow. Draw a parallel between Hardcastle and Marlow since he does not find out about Tony's trick until late in the play. Explain in your paper how each of these complications is necessary to the story.
Essay Topic 3
In the 18th century, women, especially unmarried women, had almost no civil rights. Using Miss Neville as an example, explain how she had almost no control over her own affairs. Also, explain why Mrs. Hardcastle came to be her guardian and have control over her inheritance. Explain why Mr. Hardcastle had nothing to do with Miss Neville's situation. Contrast Tony's situation to Miss Neville's. His mother controlled his inheritance, but he had the promise of getting out from under that control even without marrying. What is the difference?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)