|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anxious to be off, what does Marlow ask Tony?
2. How is the scene in the Three Pigeons a satire on sentimental comedy?
3. Hardcastle is stunned by their rudeness but offers what service?
4. What admonition does Hardcastle give the servants for when guests arrive?
5. What does Tony tell Marlow and Hastings about the owner of the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
2. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
3. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
4. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
5. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
6. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
7. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
8. Why does Hastings insist that Constance continue the ruse that they are in an inn?
9. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
10. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pretend you are a writer for an 18th-century newspaper and write a critique of Mr. Goldsmith's play. In your critique be sure to mention Goldsmith's departure from the sentimental comedy of his day. Note the passages in the play that would border on the scandalous in his time. Discuss the continuity of the play and the use of subplots. Detail your opinion about the believability of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is a farce comedy. Explain what makes it a farce. Use selections from the play to point out improbable events and situations. Point out the characters who give the play a comical tone. Make mention of the plot twists and turns that would not happen in real life. Explain the need for an audience to suspend rational thought to enjoy a farce.
Essay Topic 3
Unseen central objects in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER are the jewels. These jewels were not very secure in Mrs. Hardcastle's locked bureau drawer. The British obsession with jewels goes back many centuries and may be best illustrated by the Royal Crown jewels of the monarchs. Research some of the most spectacular crown jewels and write a paper about their value and how they are kept safe.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)