|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before offering to give directions to Marlow and Hastings, what does Tony want to know?
2. What does Tony tell Marlow and Hastings about the owner of the inn?
3. What does Tony do when he discovers that Marlow and Hastings are hopelessly lost?
4. Who comes to visit Kate as she is contemplating the evening and meeting Marlow?
5. As soon as Hardcastle is out of sight, what do the servants begin saying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
2. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
3. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
4. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
5. When Mrs. Hardcastle sees Tony and Constance together, what does she assume?
6. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
7. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
8. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
9. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
10. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unseen central objects in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER are the jewels. These jewels were not very secure in Mrs. Hardcastle's locked bureau drawer. The British obsession with jewels goes back many centuries and may be best illustrated by the Royal Crown jewels of the monarchs. Research some of the most spectacular crown jewels and write a paper about their value and how they are kept safe.
Essay Topic 2
What is often called a practical joke is more often something that causes great pain and embarrassment to an innocent victim. Tony's joke about the inn was really meant to embarrass Mr. Hardcastle, however, it caused suffering to Marlow and nearly wrecked any possibility of his marrying Kate. Using examples of jokes and tricks from the play, write an essay about how they are usually not funny and can often be very harmful.
Essay Topic 3
In the 18th century, women, especially unmarried women, had almost no civil rights. Using Miss Neville as an example, explain how she had almost no control over her own affairs. Also, explain why Mrs. Hardcastle came to be her guardian and have control over her inheritance. Explain why Mr. Hardcastle had nothing to do with Miss Neville's situation. Contrast Tony's situation to Miss Neville's. His mother controlled his inheritance, but he had the promise of getting out from under that control even without marrying. What is the difference?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)