|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony say his mother would part with before she gave up the jewels?
2. Why is Tony suddenly brave enough to play a prank on Hardcastle and his guests.
3. As the play opens, who are the two characters who enter from the right?
4. When Marlow and Hastings enter the Three Pigeons, Marlow is complaining about the distance they came. What does Hastings say?
5. What does Tony come running into the room to announce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
2. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
3. Why does Hastings insist that Constance continue the ruse that they are in an inn?
4. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
5. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
6. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
7. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
8. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
9. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
10. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unseen central objects in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER are the jewels. These jewels were not very secure in Mrs. Hardcastle's locked bureau drawer. The British obsession with jewels goes back many centuries and may be best illustrated by the Royal Crown jewels of the monarchs. Research some of the most spectacular crown jewels and write a paper about their value and how they are kept safe.
Essay Topic 2
Fashion wigs were the style in the 18th century. Research their construction, upkeep, various types, and prices. Write about the process of making a fashion wig. Then give your impression of what Mrs. Hardcastle's homemade wig might have looked like. Kate and Miss Deville would wear wigs when they dressed for society. Very likely Sir Charles wore a powdered wig. Marlow and Hastings wigs were probably a natural color. Describe in your paper what the wigs of each of these characters probably looked like.
Essay Topic 3
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)