|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
2. Does Mr. Hardcastle think he might change his mind about Marlow?
3. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
4. What is Hardcastle's toast after passing out the punch?
5. What is Tony's one word admonition to the landlord of the pub?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
2. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
3. Why does Hastings insist that Constance continue the ruse that they are in an inn?
4. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
5. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
6. What is Mr. Hardcastle's first impression of Marlow and his friend Hastings?
7. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
8. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
9. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
10. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Words have changed their meaning since Goldsmith wrote this play. For example, the word modesty is used in an entirely different way from the way we use it today. Find at least ten examples of words that have a different meaning today and write a paper showing how they are used in the play and how we might use those words today. In some cases, it might be that the word in the play is no longer used and you will need to provide a modern word that expresses the same idea.
Essay Topic 2
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
Essay Topic 3
Tony is unmoved by his mother's attempts to marry him off to Constance. He only has eyes for the barmaid Bet Bouncer. Marlow dislikes Kate when they first meet but falls hard for Kate as a barmaid. Using those examples, write an essay entitled Beauty Is in the Eye of the Beholder.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)