|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How interested is Hardcastle in politics?
2. What argument does the subject of age bring up between the Hardcastles?
3. What is Hardcastle's reaction when Kate enters the room?
4. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
5. How does Hardcastle say the servants are like their betters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
2. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
3. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
4. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
5. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
6. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
7. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
8. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
9. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
10. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three of four scenes in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER that you consider to be very funny. Write about the words and actions that make the scenes comical in nature. Compare those scenes to movie or TV comedies today and show how early writers like Goldsmith influenced our ideas of what is funny in a play or film.
Essay Topic 2
Jumping to conclusions is a thread that runs throughout the play. Select several instances of this and write a paper discussing the fallacy of jumping to conclusions. In your paper evaluate whether that is a fairly universal human trait. Give at least one example other than from the play when someone jumped to wrong conclusions and the effect it had on the people involved.
Essay Topic 3
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is filled with complex sub plots. Write a paper on how these various plots play against each other in the play. Specifically draw your illustrations from the plot of Mrs. Hardcastle to marry Tony off to Constance against Constance's determination to marry Hastings. The main plot of getting Kate and Marlow together is complicated by the reasons various characters have to continue the deception with Marlow. Draw a parallel between Hardcastle and Marlow since he does not find out about Tony's trick until late in the play. Explain in your paper how each of these complications is necessary to the story.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)