|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Hardcastle tell his wife when she suggests that Tony is consumptive.
2. Seeing the good furniture, what does Hasting fear?
3. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
4. What is the one area of agreement between Kate and Mr. Hardcastle about Marlow?
5. What is Mrs. Hardcastle's complaint with her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Later when Constance and Hastings come in asking permission to marry, Mr. Hardcastle sees no problem and Sir Charles praises Hastings as a fine upstanding young man. How does Mrs. Hardcastle attempt to pour cold water on the situation?
2. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
3. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
4. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
5. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
6. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
7. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
8. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
9. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
10. How does Mrs. Hardcastle make an appearance in the garden.
Essay Topic 1
Sarcasm is often a stock-in-trade in comedies. Sarcasm usually takes the form of using words with an underlying meaning just the opposite of what is being said. Using the dialogue between Mr. Hardcastle and his wife when they are talking about Tony, and the dialogue between Mr. Hardcastle and Kate when they are talking about Marlow, identify the sarcasm and explain why it is so funny in each case.
Essay Topic 2
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
Essay Topic 3
Fashion wigs were the style in the 18th century. Research their construction, upkeep, various types, and prices. Write about the process of making a fashion wig. Then give your impression of what Mrs. Hardcastle's homemade wig might have looked like. Kate and Miss Deville would wear wigs when they dressed for society. Very likely Sir Charles wore a powdered wig. Marlow and Hastings wigs were probably a natural color. Describe in your paper what the wigs of each of these characters probably looked like.
This section contains 2,221 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)