|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hardcastle's toast after passing out the punch?
2. What does Tony urge his mother to tell Constance about the jewels?
3. Why is Mrs. Hardcastle trying to make a match between Tony and Constance?
4. What is so amusing about the way Kate and her father describe Marlow?
5. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
2. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
3. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
4. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
5. When Mrs. Hardcastle sees Tony and Constance together, what does she assume?
6. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
7. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
8. What is Mr. Hardcastle's first impression of Marlow and his friend Hastings?
9. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
10. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is filled with complex sub plots. Write a paper on how these various plots play against each other in the play. Specifically draw your illustrations from the plot of Mrs. Hardcastle to marry Tony off to Constance against Constance's determination to marry Hastings. The main plot of getting Kate and Marlow together is complicated by the reasons various characters have to continue the deception with Marlow. Draw a parallel between Hardcastle and Marlow since he does not find out about Tony's trick until late in the play. Explain in your paper how each of these complications is necessary to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Tony is unmoved by his mother's attempts to marry him off to Constance. He only has eyes for the barmaid Bet Bouncer. Marlow dislikes Kate when they first meet but falls hard for Kate as a barmaid. Using those examples, write an essay entitled Beauty Is in the Eye of the Beholder.
Essay Topic 3
The jewels are an important element in the story, although they are never seen. Using this example, write an essay about how valuables often become more important than people. Use Mrs. Hardcastle to show that her greed for keeping the jewels in her family was actually more important to her than Tony's happiness.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)