|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
2. How does Tony calm down Constance?
3. Hardcastle is stunned by their rudeness but offers what service?
4. What does Tony come running into the room to announce?
5. What is Hastings' double entendre about the calf brains on the menu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
2. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
3. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
4. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
5. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
6. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
7. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
8. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
9. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
10. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unseen central objects in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER are the jewels. These jewels were not very secure in Mrs. Hardcastle's locked bureau drawer. The British obsession with jewels goes back many centuries and may be best illustrated by the Royal Crown jewels of the monarchs. Research some of the most spectacular crown jewels and write a paper about their value and how they are kept safe.
Essay Topic 2
In the 18th century, women, especially unmarried women, had almost no civil rights. Using Miss Neville as an example, explain how she had almost no control over her own affairs. Also, explain why Mrs. Hardcastle came to be her guardian and have control over her inheritance. Explain why Mr. Hardcastle had nothing to do with Miss Neville's situation. Contrast Tony's situation to Miss Neville's. His mother controlled his inheritance, but he had the promise of getting out from under that control even without marrying. What is the difference?
Essay Topic 3
Select three of four scenes in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER that you consider to be very funny. Write about the words and actions that make the scenes comical in nature. Compare those scenes to movie or TV comedies today and show how early writers like Goldsmith influenced our ideas of what is funny in a play or film.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)