|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Hardcastle tries to get Tony to say home one night, where is he planning to go?
2. As soon as Hardcastle is out of sight, what do the servants begin saying?
3. What happens when Hardcastle asks the servants about serving wine?
4. Hardcastle does not recognize the insults at first and attempts to do what?
5. What does Hastings say about Marlow in the company of women of reputation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
2. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
3. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
4. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
5. What is Mr. Hardcastle's first impression of Marlow and his friend Hastings?
6. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
7. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
8. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
9. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
10. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is filled with complex sub plots. Write a paper on how these various plots play against each other in the play. Specifically draw your illustrations from the plot of Mrs. Hardcastle to marry Tony off to Constance against Constance's determination to marry Hastings. The main plot of getting Kate and Marlow together is complicated by the reasons various characters have to continue the deception with Marlow. Draw a parallel between Hardcastle and Marlow since he does not find out about Tony's trick until late in the play. Explain in your paper how each of these complications is necessary to the story.
Essay Topic 2
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
Essay Topic 3
Jumping to conclusions is a thread that runs throughout the play. Select several instances of this and write a paper discussing the fallacy of jumping to conclusions. In your paper evaluate whether that is a fairly universal human trait. Give at least one example other than from the play when someone jumped to wrong conclusions and the effect it had on the people involved.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)