|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who puts Marlow straight about the house?
(c) Miss Hardcastle.
2. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
(a) He orders a sandwich.
(b) He starts stammering again.
(c) He becomes quite flirtatious.
(d) He pauses trying to remember who she is.
3. Why can't Hastings explain the problem of giving the jewels to Mrs. Hardcastle?
(a) He has to tell Constance first.
(b) Marlow will do something violent if he finds out what he did.
(c) Marlow still doesn't know they are in Hardcastle's house.
(d) Marlow will be angry that Hastings did not tell him what was in the casket.
4. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
(b) Losing Constance to Tony.
(c) Waiting three years before they can marry.
(d) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
5. How does Mrs. Hardcastle show her blind love of her son, Tony?
(a) She says he could charm the birds from the trees.
(b) She buys him the latest fashion clothes.
(c) She orders a painting done of him.
(d) She gives him a fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marlow conspire to get closer to Kate?
2. What does Sir Charles say will happen if what Kate has said turns out to be true?
3. Who enters while Kate is struggling to get her hand away from Marlow?
4. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
5. When Hardcastle runs into Marlow, why is he upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
2. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
3. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
4. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
5. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
6. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
7. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
8. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
9. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
10. Explain how the jewels end back up with Mrs. Hardcastle.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)