|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
(a) That Marlow ordered his servants to drink.
(b) That Sir Charles always allowd them to get drunk at an inn.
(c) That the Hardcastle servant girls where getting them drunk for sport.
(d) That the barmaid gave them the keys to the cellar.
2. What does Tony do when his mother is so upset?
(a) Pretends she is joking and tells her to keep it up.
(b) Mocks her.
(d) Starts screaming at her for being stupid.
3. What does Sir Charles say will happen if what Kate has said turns out to be true?
(a) All his happiness with his son shall come to an end.
(b) He will send his son to an asylum.
(c) He will confront his son with a pistol.
(d) He will allow Hardcastle to chastize his son.
4. Why are Hardcastle and Sir Charles amazed at Marlow's quick departure?
(a) What he says does not match up with what Kate told her father.
(b) They think he is too sensitive to the joke that was played on him.
(c) They cannot believe young Marlow actually saw Kate.
(d) They do not understand what he says about Kate.
5. How does Marlow ask Kate for a kiss?
(a) He asks her to kiss him so he knows he's not dreaming.
(b) He asks her to kiss him for good luck when he meets Miss Hardcastle later.
(c) He pulls her to him and tells her to close her eyes.
(d) He talks about the nectar of her lips and he wants a taste.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hardcastle not recognize as Tony and Constance banter back and forth?
2. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
3. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
4. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
5. What does Tony say to Constance about the jewels now back with his mother.
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
2. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
3. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
4. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
5. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
6. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
7. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
8. How does Mrs. Hardcastle make an appearance in the garden.
9. How does Constance attempt to stop Mrs. Hardcastle from reading the note?
10. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)