|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlow do in front of his father?
(a) Offer to pay for any damages done to Hardcastle's property.
(b) Demand to see the barmaid.
(c) Asks Mr. Hardcastle's forgiveness one more time.
(d) Rant at the cruelty of his deception.
2. Why does Hastings say they must hurry if they plan to elope?
(a) Because young Marlow will discover his mistake and be angry.
(b) Because there will be guards when Sir Charles arrives.
(c) Because Sir Charles knows Hastings and would say too much.
(d) Because everyone will be watching closely when Sir Charles arrives.
3. Why does Mr. Hardcastle not go back into the house?
(a) He thinks there is someone with a gun in the thicket.
(b) He wants to find out how Tony got so muddy.
(c) He is sure he heard two voices and wants to know who else is there.
(d) He hasn't finished his walk.
4. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
(a) Knocked them unconscious and brought them back.
(b) He put his mother out fifteen miles away and returned with Constance.
(c) Driven them around in circles for hours and returned home.
(d) Tied them to a tree about twenty miles away.
5. When Hastings accuses Marlow of planning to rob the barmaid of her honor, what does Marlow reply?
(a) There is nothing in this house I do not intend to pay for.
(b) Pshaw, you know barmaids don't worry about honor.
(c) You can't rob something that is freely given.
(d) He will marry her if she gets pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
2. When Hardcastle runs into Marlow, why is he upset?
3. How does Miss Neville know who the letter is from?
4. What is in the letter?
5. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
2. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
3. How does Mrs. Hardcastle make an appearance in the garden.
4. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
5. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
6. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
7. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
8. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
9. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
10. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)