|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
(a) He starts stammering again.
(b) He becomes quite flirtatious.
(c) He orders a sandwich.
(d) He pauses trying to remember who she is.
2. When Hardcastle runs into Marlow, why is he upset?
(a) Marlows servants are causing fights in the servants' quarters.
(b) Marlow's servants are getting drunk in Hardcastle's wine cellar.
(c) Marlow has not paid his room rent.
(d) Marlow's servants are chasing Hardcastle's servant girls.
3. What does Kate say to herself about Marlow.
(a) That he was the one she had stooped to conquer.
(b) That he is worse than she thought.
(c) That he must leave at once.
(d) That her father will not believe his story.
4. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
(a) That he wants to meet Kate.
(b) That he is coming to Hardcastle's house.
(c) That he is too busy to come to Liberty Hall.
(d) That he cannot believe reports about his son.
5. What does Tony suggest to Hastings?
(a) Go collect Constance and bring Mr. Hardcastle along.
(b) Wait until Mrs. Hardcastle falls alseep from exhaustion and then get Constance.
(c) Get his horses, go to the pond for Constance, and ride away.
(d) Go and bargain with Mrs. Hardcastle or you will leave her in the pond.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
2. What does Hardcastle tell Kate he plans to do?
3. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
4. Why does Hastings say they must hurry if they plan to elope?
5. What does Marlow tell Hardcastle about his servants.
Short Essay Questions
1. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
2. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
3. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
4. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
5. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
6. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
7. How does Constance attempt to stop Mrs. Hardcastle from reading the note?
8. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
9. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
10. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)