|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Marlow from leaving Liberty Hall?
(a) He is smitten with the barmaid, still not knowing it is Kate.
(b) The horses are not rested enough.
(c) An axle is broken on the carriage.
(d) There comes a sudden downpour.
2. Why are Hardcastle and Sir Charles amazed at Marlow's quick departure?
(a) They do not understand what he says about Kate.
(b) They think he is too sensitive to the joke that was played on him.
(c) What he says does not match up with what Kate told her father.
(d) They cannot believe young Marlow actually saw Kate.
3. What does Marlow do in front of his father?
(a) Rant at the cruelty of his deception.
(b) Demand to see the barmaid.
(c) Asks Mr. Hardcastle's forgiveness one more time.
(d) Offer to pay for any damages done to Hardcastle's property.
4. What does Tony suggest to Hastings?
(a) Wait until Mrs. Hardcastle falls alseep from exhaustion and then get Constance.
(b) Get his horses, go to the pond for Constance, and ride away.
(c) Go and bargain with Mrs. Hardcastle or you will leave her in the pond.
(d) Go collect Constance and bring Mr. Hardcastle along.
5. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
(a) That the Hardcastle servant girls where getting them drunk for sport.
(b) That Sir Charles always allowd them to get drunk at an inn.
(c) That Marlow ordered his servants to drink.
(d) That the barmaid gave them the keys to the cellar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters with a letter for Tony?
2. Why does Marlow insist the house is his?
3. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
4. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
5. What is Kate's plan for Marlow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
2. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
3. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
4. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
5. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
6. How does Constance attempt to stop Mrs. Hardcastle from reading the note?
7. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
8. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
9. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
10. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)