|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hardcastle tell Kate he plans to do?
(a) Have Diggory watch Marlow's every move.
(b) Send for Sir Charles Marlow to come.
(c) Send Marlow back to his father.
(d) Challenge Marlow to a duel.
2. What is Tony's problem with the letter?
(a) It is too dark in the room.
(b) He doesn't read French.
(c) He doesn't have his glasses.
(d) He cannot read handwriting.
3. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
(a) Just on the outskirts of London but they need help.
(b) About forty miles from home in a dangerous place for robbers.
(c) He tells her he has no idea where they are because things happened so fast.
(d) About twenty miles from their house where the road made a hard turn they had missed.
4. How many times does Marlow insist he had an interview with Kate?
(b) Three or four.
(d) Only two.
5. Who comes up with a plan to save the day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the letter?
2. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
3. Why does Marlow insist the house is his?
4. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
5. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
2. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
3. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
4. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
5. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
6. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
7. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
8. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
9. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
10. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)