|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Tony arranged for Hastings and Constance?
(a) Disguises to make their getaway.
(b) A wedding trip to Paris.
(c) The key to his mother's bureau.
(d) A pair of fast horses.
2. What does Mrs. Hardcastle discover when she goes to help Tony with the robber?
(a) It is Mr. Hardcastle and not a robber at all.
(b) Tony is fighting a bush.
(c) It is Hastings and Constance trying to get away.
(d) There are three men jumping on Tony.
3. Who enters with a letter for Tony?
(d) Mr. Hardcastle.
4. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
(a) That Marlow ordered his servants to drink.
(b) That Sir Charles always allowd them to get drunk at an inn.
(c) That the barmaid gave them the keys to the cellar.
(d) That the Hardcastle servant girls where getting them drunk for sport.
5. What does Mrs. Hardcastle propose to do after she learns the truth about Constance and Hastings?
(a) She plans to charge Hastings with stealing the jewels.
(b) She plans to take Constance to her Aunt Pedigree in London.
(c) She plans to lock Constance in her room until Hastings leaves.
(d) She plans to call the vicar and have Constance and Tony marry immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlow do with the jewels?
2. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
3. What does the maid question about Kate's plan?
4. What does Hardcastle tell Kate he plans to do?
5. How does Marlow ask Kate for a kiss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
2. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
3. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
4. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
5. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
6. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
7. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
8. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
9. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
10. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)