|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
(a) He tells her a highwayman is coming and she should hide in the thicket.
(b) He tells her to go back to the horsepond and wait for him.
(c) He tells her to hide and he will stand guard.
(d) He tells her there are a gang of thieves headed their way.
2. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
(a) Suggesting he has been flirting with the barmaid.
(b) Insisting that he pay for the wine his servants drank.
(c) Insisting that he knows what has passed between him and Kate.
(d) Saying that Sir Charles has already committed him to marry Kate.
3. What does Marlow now fear?
(a) That now he will be forced to marry Miss Hardcastle.
(b) That his father will disinherit him.
(c) That he will be drawn in characature and made fun of.
(d) That Kate will not show him her embroidery.
4. What does Marlow tell Hardcastle about his servants.
(a) They are just playing drunk for some fun.
(b) He will discipline them harshly.
(c) They are under his orders to drink as much as they can.
(d) They are his father's servants and he cannot control them.
5. Who enters while Kate is struggling to get her hand away from Marlow?
(b) Mr. Hardcastle.
(c) Lady Betty Blackleg.
(d) Tony Lumpkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony do when his mother is so upset?
2. Who comes up with a plan to save the day?
3. Why can't Hastings explain the problem of giving the jewels to Mrs. Hardcastle?
4. What does Marlow say that Kate overhears?
5. What is Kate's plan for Marlow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
2. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
3. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
4. Explain how the jewels end back up with Mrs. Hardcastle.
5. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
6. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
7. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
8. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
9. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
10. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)