|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
(a) She says that they have met many times.
(b) She says that they never met.
(c) She says that he insulted her.
(d) She says that he proposed marriage and she turned him down.
2. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
(a) He says the servants are impossible.
(b) He says he cannot find Hastings.
(c) He says the innkeeper is rude.
(d) He says he cannot get any repose in the house.
3. When Sir Charles questions Kate, what does she say about his son's behavior toward her?
(a) She says he pressed her to elope with him.
(b) She says he gave the standard courtship speech and professed his love.
(c) She says he stammered and stuttered and made eyes at her.
(d) She says that he talked like he would talk to a barmaid.
4. Who comes up with a plan to save the day?
5. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
(a) He tells her to go back to the horsepond and wait for him.
(b) He tells her a highwayman is coming and she should hide in the thicket.
(c) He tells her to hide and he will stand guard.
(d) He tells her there are a gang of thieves headed their way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
2. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
3. What does the maid question about Kate's plan?
4. Why does Marlow insist the house is his?
5. What does Kate propose that her father and Sir Charles do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
2. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
3. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
4. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
5. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
6. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
7. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
8. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
9. How does Constance attempt to stop Mrs. Hardcastle from reading the note?
10. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)