|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Hastings waiting for Tony?
(a) At the Three Pigeons.
(b) In front of the house.
(c) In the back of the garden.
(d) In his room.
2. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
(a) Insisting that he pay for the wine his servants drank.
(b) Suggesting he has been flirting with the barmaid.
(c) Insisting that he knows what has passed between him and Kate.
(d) Saying that Sir Charles has already committed him to marry Kate.
3. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
(a) Weary, booted, and splattered with mud.
(b) Excited and jumping with joy.
(c) Confused and unhappy.
(d) Angry and covered with straw.
4. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
(a) He starts stammering again.
(b) He orders a sandwich.
(c) He pauses trying to remember who she is.
(d) He becomes quite flirtatious.
5. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
(b) Mrs. Hardcastle.
(c) Mr. Hardcastle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hardcastle show her blind love of her son, Tony?
2. Who enters while Kate is struggling to get her hand away from Marlow?
3. What is Kate's plan for Marlow?
4. What does Tony say to Constance about the jewels now back with his mother.
5. Tony thinks Constance has not read all of the letter, so what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
2. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
3. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
4. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
5. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
6. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
7. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
8. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
9. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
10. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)