|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hastings accuses Marlow of planning to rob the barmaid of her honor, what does Marlow reply?
(a) Pshaw, you know barmaids don't worry about honor.
(b) There is nothing in this house I do not intend to pay for.
(c) You can't rob something that is freely given.
(d) He will marry her if she gets pregnant.
2. What does Constance attempt to do?
(a) Get Tony to read the letter later.
(b) Get Mrs. Hardcastle away by telling her a story about Tony.
(c) Knock the letter into the fireplace.
(d) Pour water on the letter so that the ink runs.
3. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
(a) Suggesting he has been flirting with the barmaid.
(b) Insisting that he knows what has passed between him and Kate.
(c) Insisting that he pay for the wine his servants drank.
(d) Saying that Sir Charles has already committed him to marry Kate.
4. When Mrs. Hardcastle drags herself to where Tony is, what does he try to make her believe?
(a) The horses were trained to find the way home.
(b) They are near London and should get help getting the carriage out of the pond.
(c) The road to London had washed out in a flash flood.
(d) It was her fault for insisting on leaving in the middle of the night.
5. Why can't Hastings explain the problem of giving the jewels to Mrs. Hardcastle?
(a) Marlow still doesn't know they are in Hardcastle's house.
(b) He has to tell Constance first.
(c) Marlow will be angry that Hastings did not tell him what was in the casket.
(d) Marlow will do something violent if he finds out what he did.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlow say that Kate overhears?
2. How does Mrs. Hardcastle show her blind love of her son, Tony?
3. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
4. What does Mrs. Hardcastle think when she catches Tony and Constance together?
5. What does Hardcastle say that girls like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
2. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
3. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
4. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
5. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
6. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
7. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
8. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
9. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
10. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)