|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Marlow so sure that Kate will surrender herself to him?
(a) She is toying with him by not allowing him to kiss her.
(b) Her eyes tell him that she is interested in him.
(c) She invited him up to see her embroidery which he takes as a sexual meaning.
(d) She sent him a note to meet her later.
2. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
(a) That he cannot believe reports about his son.
(b) That he is coming to Hardcastle's house.
(c) That he is too busy to come to Liberty Hall.
(d) That he wants to meet Kate.
3. What does the maid tell Kate that Marlow thinks.
(a) He thinks he is a fool for coming here.
(b) He thinks it is all a joke.
(c) He thinks Kate is the barmaid.
(d) He thinks Miss Neville is Kate.
4. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
(a) That he will be furious with Tony and Hastings.
(b) That he will laugh Marlow out of his resolve to leave.
(c) That he won't believe a word of it.
(d) That he will have a heart attack and die.
5. What keeps Marlow from leaving Liberty Hall?
(a) He is smitten with the barmaid, still not knowing it is Kate.
(b) An axle is broken on the carriage.
(c) The horses are not rested enough.
(d) There comes a sudden downpour.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hastings waiting for Tony?
2. What does Marlow do with the jewels?
3. What has Tony arranged for Hastings and Constance?
4. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
5. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
2. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
3. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
4. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
5. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
6. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
7. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
8. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
9. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
10. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)