|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the letter?
(a) A message about finding the jewels again.
(b) A message from Hastings about the elopement.
(c) A bill for Tony's gambling debts.
(d) A court summons in a murder case.
2. What does Marlow tell Kate the barmaid his name is?
(a) Mr. Danbury.
(b) Mr. Rattles.
(c) Mr. Hastings.
(d) Mr. Solomons.
3. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
(a) By saying that she sees Miss Hardcastle coming.
(b) By telling him she hears the servant bell ringing for her.
(c) By telling him how she thinks he acted with Miss Hardcastle exactly like it happened.
(d) By saying she will scream if he tries to touch her.
4. What does Marlow do in front of his father?
(a) Demand to see the barmaid.
(b) Offer to pay for any damages done to Hardcastle's property.
(c) Rant at the cruelty of his deception.
(d) Asks Mr. Hardcastle's forgiveness one more time.
5. What does Mrs. Hardcastle promise to give Constance right away?
(a) The jewels.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) Her garnets.
(d) A trip to her aunt's house in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Marlow insist he had an interview with Kate?
2. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
3. What is Constance resolved to do at this point?
4. What seems to be the only solution for Constance and Hastings?
5. Why can't Hastings explain the problem of giving the jewels to Mrs. Hardcastle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
2. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
3. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
4. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
5. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
6. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
7. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
8. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
9. How does Mrs. Hardcastle make an appearance in the garden.
10. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)