|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
(a) He orders a sandwich.
(b) He pauses trying to remember who she is.
(c) He becomes quite flirtatious.
(d) He starts stammering again.
2. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
(a) She says that they have met many times.
(b) She says that he insulted her.
(c) She says that he proposed marriage and she turned him down.
(d) She says that they never met.
3. What does Tony do when his mother is so upset?
(a) Mocks her.
(b) Pretends she is joking and tells her to keep it up.
(d) Starts screaming at her for being stupid.
4. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
(a) He tells her there are a gang of thieves headed their way.
(b) He tells her to go back to the horsepond and wait for him.
(c) He tells her a highwayman is coming and she should hide in the thicket.
(d) He tells her to hide and he will stand guard.
5. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
(a) He says the innkeeper is rude.
(b) He says he cannot get any repose in the house.
(c) He says he cannot find Hastings.
(d) He says the servants are impossible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
2. What subterfuge do Constance and Tony carry out when Mrs. Hardcastle is in the room?
3. Why does Marlow insist the house is his?
4. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
5. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
2. Explain how the jewels end back up with Mrs. Hardcastle.
3. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
4. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
5. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
6. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
7. How does Constance attempt to stop Mrs. Hardcastle from reading the note?
8. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
9. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
10. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)