|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marlow ask Kate for a kiss?
(a) He talks about the nectar of her lips and he wants a taste.
(b) He pulls her to him and tells her to close her eyes.
(c) He asks her to kiss him so he knows he's not dreaming.
(d) He asks her to kiss him for good luck when he meets Miss Hardcastle later.
2. How is Hastings shocked by Marlow?
(a) He learns that Marlow is leaving Liberty Hall with the barmaid.
(b) Marlow tells him that the barmaid is waiting for him in his room.
(c) He sees that Marlow has no intention of marrying Miss Hardcastle.
(d) He finds out that Marlow sent the casket of jewels to the landlady.
3. Why can't Hastings explain the problem of giving the jewels to Mrs. Hardcastle?
(a) Marlow will do something violent if he finds out what he did.
(b) Marlow will be angry that Hastings did not tell him what was in the casket.
(c) He has to tell Constance first.
(d) Marlow still doesn't know they are in Hardcastle's house.
4. How does Marlow conspire to get closer to Kate?
(a) He moves in quickly when she looks away.
(b) He pretends to trip on the carpet.
(c) He tries guessing her age and must come for a closer look.
(d) He asks her to dance with him.
5. What is Kate's plan for Marlow?
(a) She plans to make Marlow think she loves Hastings.
(b) She plans to keep up his delusion.
(c) She plans to pretend to be Kate's sister.
(d) She plans to trick Marlow into marrying her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
2. How many times does Marlow insist he had an interview with Kate?
3. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react to Tony's flippant attitude toward her?
4. Why does Marlow insist the house is his?
5. What is Kate's response as Marlow moves closer to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
2. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
3. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
4. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
5. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
6. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
7. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
8. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
9. How does Mrs. Hardcastle make an appearance in the garden.
10. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)