|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
(a) That Marlow ordered his servants to drink.
(b) That the Hardcastle servant girls where getting them drunk for sport.
(c) That Sir Charles always allowd them to get drunk at an inn.
(d) That the barmaid gave them the keys to the cellar.
2. What is Tony's problem with the letter?
(a) He doesn't have his glasses.
(b) He cannot read handwriting.
(c) He doesn't read French.
(d) It is too dark in the room.
3. What does Marlow do with the jewels?
(a) He puts them in his locked luggage.
(b) He puts them in thleir carriage.
(c) He hides them under the bed.
(d) Not knowing what they are, he deposits them with Mrs. Hardcastle.
4. Why is Marlow so sure that Kate will surrender herself to him?
(a) She sent him a note to meet her later.
(b) She invited him up to see her embroidery which he takes as a sexual meaning.
(c) Her eyes tell him that she is interested in him.
(d) She is toying with him by not allowing him to kiss her.
5. What is in the letter?
(a) A bill for Tony's gambling debts.
(b) A message from Hastings about the elopement.
(c) A court summons in a murder case.
(d) A message about finding the jewels again.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Hardcastle drags herself to where Tony is, what does he try to make her believe?
2. Why are Hardcastle and Sir Charles amazed at Marlow's quick departure?
3. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
4. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
5. What does Hardcastle say that girls like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
2. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
3. Explain how the jewels end back up with Mrs. Hardcastle.
4. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
5. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
6. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
7. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
8. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
9. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
10. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)