|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marlow insist the house is his?
(a) He thinks he has bought the house.
(b) He still thinks it is an inn and that he is paying for everything.
(c) He thinks the house belongs to his father.
(d) He thinks the real owner will put Hardcastle out.
2. What does Marlow say that Kate overhears?
(a) That Miss Hardcastle hides her face under a bonnet.
(b) That Miss Hardcastle wears ridiculous clothes.
(c) That Miss Hardcastle is too grave and sentimental for him.
(d) That Miss Hardcastle talks too much.
3. How does Marlow conspire to get closer to Kate?
(a) He pretends to trip on the carpet.
(b) He moves in quickly when she looks away.
(c) He asks her to dance with him.
(d) He tries guessing her age and must come for a closer look.
4. How does Miss Neville know who the letter is from?
(a) She recognizes the handwriting.
(b) She snatches the letter from Tony's hand.
(c) She reads the letter for Tony.
(d) She knows Hastings is going to write.
5. What is in the letter?
(a) A bill for Tony's gambling debts.
(b) A court summons in a murder case.
(c) A message from Hastings about the elopement.
(d) A message about finding the jewels again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony do when his mother is so upset?
2. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
3. Where is Mr. Hardcastle while Mrs. Hardcastle is leaving with Constance?
4. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
5. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
2. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
3. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
4. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
5. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
6. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
7. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
8. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
9. How does Constance attempt to stop Mrs. Hardcastle from reading the note?
10. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)