|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hardcastle not recognize as Tony and Constance banter back and forth?
(a) How their faces reveal their true love.
(b) How they do not seem to listen to one another.
(c) How nervous they are around her.
(d) The sarcasm in their declarations of love for each other.
2. What is in the letter?
(a) A bill for Tony's gambling debts.
(b) A message about finding the jewels again.
(c) A message from Hastings about the elopement.
(d) A court summons in a murder case.
3. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
(a) The house barmaid.
(b) Mrs. Hardcastle's personal servant.
(c) Tony Lumpkin's cousin.
(d) A poor relation working for Mr. Hardcastle.
4. What does Mrs. Hardcastle discover when she goes to help Tony with the robber?
(a) It is Hastings and Constance trying to get away.
(b) There are three men jumping on Tony.
(c) Tony is fighting a bush.
(d) It is Mr. Hardcastle and not a robber at all.
5. What time-consuming action had Tony taken on the ride?
(a) Stopped frequently to ask directions.
(b) Getting stuck in ponds ending up in the horsepond behind the garden.
(c) Slowed the horses down to a walk.
(d) Tied up Mrs. Hardcastle and put a gag in her mouth.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hardcastle runs into Marlow, why is he upset?
2. What does Marlow say that Kate overhears?
3. Why can't Hastings explain the problem of giving the jewels to Mrs. Hardcastle?
4. What does Marlow do with the jewels?
5. What does Mrs. Hardcastle propose to do after she learns the truth about Constance and Hastings?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
2. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
3. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
4. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
5. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
6. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
7. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
8. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
9. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
10. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)