|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Hardcastle and Sir Charles amazed at Marlow's quick departure?
(a) What he says does not match up with what Kate told her father.
(b) They think he is too sensitive to the joke that was played on him.
(c) They cannot believe young Marlow actually saw Kate.
(d) They do not understand what he says about Kate.
2. What subterfuge do Constance and Tony carry out when Mrs. Hardcastle is in the room?
(a) They act shy around each other.
(b) They pretend to court one another.
(c) They go to opposite sides of the room.
(d) They pretend they are planning a wedding.
3. What does Hardcastle say that girls like?
(a) To be offered expensive jewels.
(b) To think that they are tormenting a man.
(c) To be put in their place.
(d) To be played with and rumpled a little, too.
4. Tony thinks Constance has not read all of the letter, so what does he do?
(a) He gives it to his mother to finish reading.
(b) He has a temper tantrum.
(c) He sits down and tries to read it himself.
(d) He puts the letter in his pocket to read later.
5. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
(a) She says that he proposed marriage and she turned him down.
(b) She says that he insulted her.
(c) She says that they have met many times.
(d) She says that they never met.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
2. Where is Mr. Hardcastle while Mrs. Hardcastle is leaving with Constance?
3. What does Marlow do in front of his father?
4. What does the maid question about Kate's plan?
5. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
2. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
3. How does Constance attempt to stop Mrs. Hardcastle from reading the note?
4. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
5. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
6. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
7. Explain how the jewels end back up with Mrs. Hardcastle.
8. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
9. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
10. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)