|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Marlow from leaving Liberty Hall?
(a) An axle is broken on the carriage.
(b) There comes a sudden downpour.
(c) He is smitten with the barmaid, still not knowing it is Kate.
(d) The horses are not rested enough.
2. What does Mrs. Hardcastle not recognize as Tony and Constance banter back and forth?
(a) The sarcasm in their declarations of love for each other.
(b) How they do not seem to listen to one another.
(c) How nervous they are around her.
(d) How their faces reveal their true love.
3. Where is Mr. Hardcastle while Mrs. Hardcastle is leaving with Constance?
(a) He is in the pantry eating a second breakfast.
(b) He is trying to find Marlow and put him at ease.
(c) He is laughing with Sir Charles over the joke that was played on young Marlow.
(d) He is out looking for Kate.
4. How many times does Marlow insist he had an interview with Kate?
(a) Three or four.
(c) Only two.
5. What is Tony's problem with the letter?
(a) He doesn't read French.
(b) He doesn't have his glasses.
(c) It is too dark in the room.
(d) He cannot read handwriting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
2. What does Marlow now fear?
3. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
4. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
5. Why can't Hastings explain the problem of giving the jewels to Mrs. Hardcastle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
2. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
3. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
4. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
5. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
6. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
7. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
8. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
9. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
10. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)