|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What funny comment does Hardcastle make to the audience about the behavior of Marlow and Hastings?
(a) It may be modern modesty but looks like old-fashioned impudence.
(b) No wonder Sir Charles was anxious to send his son to the country.
(c) If he were not Sir Charles' son, I'd send him packing.
(d) Next thing he'll want me to fluff his pillows.
2. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
(a) That Marlow is madly in love with Kate.
(b) That Constance will forget her jewels and elope with Hastings.
(c) That Tony Lumpkin had nothing to do with the joke.
(d) That he is in Hardcastle's house and not an inn.
3. What does Tony say his mother would part with before she gave up the jewels?
(a) The last sound tooth in her head.
(b) Her favorite son.
(c) Her husband, Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) Her latest Paris fashions.
4. What does Tony do when he discovers that Marlow and Hastings are hopelessly lost?
(a) He gives them long, complicated directions to Hardcastle mansion.
(b) He sends them headed back toward London.
(c) He tells them no one in those parts know a Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) He offers to go with them to show the way.
5. What does the landlord say about available accommodations?
(a) He says they can sit down and put their heads on a table.
(b) He says they are welcome to sleep in the barn.
(c) He says there is only one bed with three men in it already.
(d) He says they can have the bridal suite.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
2. Why does Constance not believe that Mrs. Hardcastle has lost her jewels?
3. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
4. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
5. How does Tony calm down Constance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
2. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
3. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
4. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
5. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
6. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
7. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
8. Why does Hastings insist that Constance continue the ruse that they are in an inn?
9. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
10. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)