|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tony suddenly brave enough to play a prank on Hardcastle and his guests.
(a) He has grown much larger than Hardcastle.
(b) He is leaving for Europe soon.
(c) His mother will defend him.
(d) He is soon to come into his inheritance.
2. What happens when Hardcastle hears a coach drive up in front of the house?
(a) He hurries out to greet Marlow.
(b) He rushes the servants through their jobs one more time.
(c) He thinks it is the mail coach.
(d) He runs to sit down in the living room.
3. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
(a) They are for looking at and not for wearing.
(b) Only when she has paste copies of them.
(c) When she is in her forties and her beauty needs repairing.
(d) Only when she's presented at court.
4. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
(a) It has fallen into a state of ruin.
(b) It is better than they had hoped for.
(c) It is well-looking and credible.
(d) It looks too much like a regular house.
5. What is Marlow's reaction when he sees the menu for the night's supper?
(a) He cannot eat rich food at night.
(b) He is shocked, thinking it will be expensive.
(c) He does not believe the menu is correct.
(d) He thinks it is rustic food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Mr. Hardcastle think he might change his mind about Marlow?
2. How does Tony calm down Constance?
3. Left behind as Hardcastle and Marlow go to the bedrooms, who does Hastings see?
4. What names has Mr. Hardcastle been calling Tony for almost a year?
5. What is Marlow's plan for meeting Kate Hardcastle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
2. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
3. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
4. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
5. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
6. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
7. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
8. When Mrs. Hardcastle sees Tony and Constance together, what does she assume?
9. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
10. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)