|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
(a) It has fallen into a state of ruin.
(b) It is well-looking and credible.
(c) It looks too much like a regular house.
(d) It is better than they had hoped for.
2. What is Mr. Hardcastle attempting to do with his servants?
(a) Teach them how to walk.
(b) Train them for fine service before Marlow arrives.
(c) Get them to work for less money.
(d) Measure them for new uniforms.
3. As soon as Hardcastle is out of sight, what do the servants begin saying?
(a) None of them can remember his or her job.
(b) They begin arguing over which one is most important.
(c) They say the master has lost his mind.
(d) They say they are going back to their old jobs.
4. What does Kate say to Constance about her brother Tony?
(a) She says that Tony will do anything to marry Constance.
(b) She says that she could almost love him for hating Constance so.
(c) She tells Constance that Tony walks in his sleep.
(d) She says that Tony fancies he will marry a duchess.
5. When Mrs. Hardcastle tries to get Tony to say home one night, where is he planning to go?
(a) The theater.
(b) The Three Pigeons pub.
(c) To church.
(d) The Cock and Bull pub.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
2. What does Mr. Hardcastle say the neighbors bring back from their trips to town?
3. What is Hastings' double entendre about the calf brains on the menu?
4. What hinders Marlow from seeking a wife?
5. What do Hastings and Marlow believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
2. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
3. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
4. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
5. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
6. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
7. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
8. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
9. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
10. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)