|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Hardcastle's response to Mrs. Hardcastle's complaining that he only likes old things.
(a) He says she knows he just bought a new horse.
(b) He says she just does not know the value of antiques.
(c) He says she will have to own that he is pretty fond of an old wife.
(d) He says she thinks anything bought last month is old.
2. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
(a) To speak in a refined manner.
(b) To walk without tripping over his feet.
(c) To keep his hands off the sherry.
(d) To see people eating at the table and not be able to eat himself.
3. What does Tony urge his mother to tell Constance about the jewels?
(a) That they are lost and he will bear witness.
(b) That she will give them to her when she marries Tony.
(c) That she had them appraised and they are all fake.
(d) That she sold them and the money is spent.
4. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
(a) He demands to know what's for supper.
(b) He offers Hardcastle a tip for the punch.
(c) He demands to be taken to the dining room.
(d) He orders Hardcastle to unpack his bags.
5. When Hastings offers them something already made up, what is Marlow's aside to Hastings?
(a) In Liberty Hall we have only what he pleases.
(b) I wonder how long it has sat there?
(c) I hope this is fit to drink.
(d) Do you suppose the wine is soured?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
2. What does Mr. Hardcastle tell his wife when she suggests that Tony is consumptive.
3. What does Tony warn them of once they get to the inn?
4. What is so amusing about the way Kate and her father describe Marlow?
5. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
2. What is Mr. Hardcastle's first impression of Marlow and his friend Hastings?
3. Why does Hastings insist that Constance continue the ruse that they are in an inn?
4. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
5. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
6. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
7. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
8. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
9. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
10. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)