|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the meal problem is settled, what demands do Marlow and Hastings make?
(a) That they go see to the making of their beds.
(b) That their bed chambers are aired out properly.
(c) That their beds are positioned facing East.
(d) That new mattresses be placed on their beds.
2. What is Tony's reply when Hastings asks how he managed to get the jewels?
(a) Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no fibs.
(b) I told her I would keep them in my vault.
(c) I told her you and Constance wer trying to find them and I should hide them for her.
(d) I said if she gave me the jewels I'd marry Constance.
3. What is Mr. Hardcastle attempting to do with his servants?
(a) Get them to work for less money.
(b) Teach them how to walk.
(c) Train them for fine service before Marlow arrives.
(d) Measure them for new uniforms.
4. How interested is Hardcastle in politics?
(a) Not at all because it frets him.
(b) He is an avid Liberal.
(c) He is an avid follower of politics.
(d) He favors the Tories.
5. What is Hastings' double entendre about the calf brains on the menu?
(a) Let your brains be knocked out, sir, I don't like them.
(b) Do you suggest we lack brains, sir?
(c) A brain is something missing in most houses.
(d) I supposed you had only a half a brain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hardcastle finally get the attention of Marlow and Hastings?
2. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
3. As the play opens, who are the two characters who enter from the right?
4. What is Mrs. Hardcastle's complaint with her husband?
5. What hinders Marlow from seeking a wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
2. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
3. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
4. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
5. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
6. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
7. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
8. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
9. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
10. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)