|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What argument does the subject of age bring up between the Hardcastles?
(a) The leaks in the roof.
(b) How long they have had the same furniture.
(c) Mrs. Hardcastle's age.
(d) The holes in the carpet.
2. What refreshment does Marlow ask of Hardcastle?
(a) A glass of warm punch.
(b) Milk and biscuits.
(c) An Irish whisky.
(d) A gin and tonic.
3. Hardcastle is stunned by their rudeness but offers what service?
(a) To alter anything on the menu.
(b) To feed them only bread and water.
(c) To let them go to the kitchen and prepare their own supper.
(d) To send out for their supper.
4. Left behind as Hardcastle and Marlow go to the bedrooms, who does Hastings see?
(a) Mrs. Hardcastle.
(b) Kate Hardcastle.
(c) Constance Neville.
5. What does Mr. Hardcastle call his home?
(a) Upson Downs.
(b) Hardcastle Castle.
(c) Inn and Out.
(d) Liberty Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Hardcastle's state of mind when she returns to the living room?
2. What happens when Hardcastle hears a coach drive up in front of the house?
3. What happens when Hardcastle asks the servants about serving wine?
4. What dichotomy does Marlow bewail?
5. What does Kate say to Constance about her brother Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
2. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
3. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
4. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
5. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
6. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
7. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
8. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
9. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
10. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)