|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refreshment does Marlow ask of Hardcastle?
(a) A glass of warm punch.
(b) Milk and biscuits.
(c) A gin and tonic.
(d) An Irish whisky.
2. Why is Mrs. Hardcastle trying to make a match between Tony and Constance?
(a) Tony has never been able to attract a woman.
(b) Tony needs to settle down before he gets too old.
(c) Constance inherited a fortune in jewels.
(d) Constance stands to inherit a title.
3. When Marlow and Hastings enter the Three Pigeons, Marlow is complaining about the distance they came. What does Hastings say?
(a) It was because he would not stop and ask directions.
(b) It was because a wheel broke on the carriage and they had to haul it to London.
(c) It was because he forgot his top hat and had to go back for it.
(d) It was because they had no roadmap to the Hardcastle estate.
4. What does Hardcastle assume from Kate's comments about Marlow?
(a) That Marlow knows how to speak with a lady.
(b) That her judgement is failing her.
(c) That she must have met someone else.
(d) That she finds him as objectionable as he does.
5. What does Mr. Hardcastle call his home?
(a) Inn and Out.
(b) Liberty Hall.
(c) Hardcastle Castle.
(d) Upson Downs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What argument does the subject of age bring up between the Hardcastles?
2. What is Hardcastle's reaction when Kate enters the room?
3. What does Tony do when he discovers that Marlow and Hastings are hopelessly lost?
4. How is Mr. Hardcastle astonished by Kate's conversation?
5. What is Marlow's reaction when he sees the menu for the night's supper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
2. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
3. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
4. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
5. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
6. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
7. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
8. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
9. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
10. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)