|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Marlow's experience with proper young ladies?
(a) A lot of experience that always ends badly.
(b) None whatsoever because he has been in all-boy schools.
(c) Only experience with his cousins.
(d) Hardly no experience with ladies of the upper class.
2. What admonition does Hardcastle give the servants for when guests arrive?
(a) Not to scratch themselves in public.
(b) Not to speak unless spoken to.
(c) Not to pop in, stare, and run like scared rabbits.
(d) Not to ask guests for tips.
3. What is the one thing about the man whose name is Marlow that Kate does not particularly like?
(a) He father says that Marlow occasionally drinks too much.
(b) Her father says Marlow is reserved and shy.
(c) Her father says that Marlow is reputed to be quite vain.
(d) He father says that Marlow takes snuff.
4. What does Tony tell Marlow and Hastings about the owner of the inn?
(a) He says that he is closing the inn and fancies himself a country gentleman.
(b) He tells them that the owner is away and there are imposters in the inn.
(c) He tells them that the old man is a lunatic.
(d) He tells them that the old man loves to play tricks on his guests.
5. What does Hastings say about Marlow in the company of women of reputation?
(a) He is a trembler looking like he wants to steal out of the room.
(b) He gets grand and ignores the women.
(c) He turns red and cannot speak.
(d) He puts on airs that the women can see right through.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
2. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
3. What does Mr. Hardcastle say the neighbors bring back from their trips to town?
4. Before offering to give directions to Marlow and Hastings, what does Tony want to know?
5. What is Mr. Hardcastle's response to Mrs. Hardcastle's complaining that he only likes old things.
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
2. What is Mr. Hardcastle's first impression of Marlow and his friend Hastings?
3. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
4. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
5. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
6. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
7. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
8. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
9. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
10. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)