|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the landlord say about available accommodations?
(a) He says they are welcome to sleep in the barn.
(b) He says they can have the bridal suite.
(c) He says there is only one bed with three men in it already.
(d) He says they can sit down and put their heads on a table.
2. What does Tony warn them of once they get to the inn?
(a) The food will be very bad.
(b) The owner will want to sit and talk with them.
(c) The owner will introduce them to his talkative wife.
(d) The owner will warn them about touching his daughter.
3. What is Hardcastle's reaction when Kate enters the room?
(a) He is pleased with the modesty of her dress as they had agreed.
(b) That she must stay in her room until Marlow departs.
(c) That she must leave at once and go to London.
(d) That she will hate him for recommending Marlow to her.
4. How is the scene in the Three Pigeons a satire on sentimental comedy?
(a) The sentiments are only on drinking.
(b) The characters serve as a chorus as in Greek comedy.
(c) The dialogue is high toned.
(d) The characters are all commoners and not genteel.
5. What does Mr. Hardcastle call his home?
(a) Upson Downs.
(b) Inn and Out.
(c) Hardcastle Castle.
(d) Liberty Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
2. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
3. What does Tony do when he discovers that Marlow and Hastings are hopelessly lost?
4. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
5. What does Kate say about Marlow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
2. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
3. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
4. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
5. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
6. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
7. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
8. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
9. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
10. When Mrs. Hardcastle sees Tony and Constance together, what does she assume?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)