|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony come running into the room to announce?
(a) That his mother will not release the jewels.
(b) That the barn is on fire.
(c) That he has Constance's jewels to give her.
(d) That he overheard Hastings and Constance planning an elopement.
2. What does Mr. Hardcastle expect from Diggory who was brought into the house from his work in the barn?
(a) To dance and entertain the guests.
(b) To make a show at the side table.
(c) To act as doorman.
(d) To perform the duties of butler.
3. As soon as Hardcastle is out of sight, what do the servants begin saying?
(a) None of them can remember his or her job.
(b) They say they are going back to their old jobs.
(c) They begin arguing over which one is most important.
(d) They say the master has lost his mind.
4. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
(a) It looks too much like a regular house.
(b) It is better than they had hoped for.
(c) It has fallen into a state of ruin.
(d) It is well-looking and credible.
5. What does Mrs. Hardcastle say their mansion looks like?
(a) An inn.
(b) A barracks.
(c) A museum.
(d) A barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before offering to give directions to Marlow and Hastings, what does Tony want to know?
2. What does Hastings say about Marlow in the company of women of reputation?
3. What does the landlord say about available accommodations?
4. Who does Mrs. Hardcastle dote on?
5. What hinders Marlow from seeking a wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mr. Hardcastle's first impression of Marlow and his friend Hastings?
2. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
3. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
4. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
5. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
6. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
7. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
8. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
9. When Mrs. Hardcastle sees Tony and Constance together, what does she assume?
10. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)