|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hinders Marlow from seeking a wife?
(a) He fears he cannot endure an arranged marriage.
(b) His preference for barmaids.
(c) Going through the terrors of a formal courtship.
(d) He has no one to arrange a marriage for him.
2. Of what does Marlow envy Hastings?
(a) His skill at writing love poems.
(b) His wealth and title.
(c) His ability to play the lute and sing.
(d) His ability to captivate any woman.
3. How does Tony calm down Constance?
(a) He tells her that Hastings has the jewels.
(b) He makes a joke to make her laugh.
(c) He promises to find the jewels.
(d) He gives her brandy to drink.
4. What joke does Tony play on Hastings and Marlow?.
(a) He gives them directions to Hardcastle's house but tells them it is an inn.
(b) He tells them that Hardcastle and his daughter have gone to Paris.
(c) He puts something in their ale that will put them to sleep.
(d) He sends someone out to loosen the reins on their horses.
5. When Mrs. Hardcastle tries to get Tony to say home one night, where is he planning to go?
(a) The theater.
(b) The Three Pigeons pub.
(c) To church.
(d) The Cock and Bull pub.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mr. Hardcastle astonished by Kate's conversation?
2. What is Hardcastle's reaction when Kate enters the room?
3. What does Mr. Hardcastle expect from Diggory who was brought into the house from his work in the barn?
4. What does the landlord say about available accommodations?
5. Who is Hardcastle reminded of when he hears the word retreat?
Short Essay Questions
1. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
2. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
3. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
4. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
5. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
6. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
7. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
8. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
9. Why does Hastings insist that Constance continue the ruse that they are in an inn?
10. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)