|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony warn them of once they get to the inn?
(a) The owner will introduce them to his talkative wife.
(b) The owner will warn them about touching his daughter.
(c) The owner will want to sit and talk with them.
(d) The food will be very bad.
2. What does Tony tell Marlow and Hastings about the owner of the inn?
(a) He tells them that the owner is away and there are imposters in the inn.
(b) He tells them that the old man is a lunatic.
(c) He tells them that the old man loves to play tricks on his guests.
(d) He says that he is closing the inn and fancies himself a country gentleman.
3. What does Tony urge his mother to tell Constance about the jewels?
(a) That she will give them to her when she marries Tony.
(b) That she sold them and the money is spent.
(c) That they are lost and he will bear witness.
(d) That she had them appraised and they are all fake.
4. What does Mr. Hardcastle call his home?
(a) Inn and Out.
(b) Hardcastle Castle.
(c) Liberty Hall.
(d) Upson Downs.
5. What does Tony come running into the room to announce?
(a) That the barn is on fire.
(b) That he overheard Hastings and Constance planning an elopement.
(c) That he has Constance's jewels to give her.
(d) That his mother will not release the jewels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so amusing about the way Kate and her father describe Marlow?
2. What is the one thing about the man whose name is Marlow that Kate does not particularly like?
3. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
4. What has Kate promised her father about her dress in the evenings?
5. What is Tony's reply when Hastings asks how he managed to get the jewels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
2. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
3. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
4. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
5. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
6. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
7. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
8. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
9. When Mrs. Hardcastle sees Tony and Constance together, what does she assume?
10. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)