|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Hastings and Marlow believe?
(a) That they might stay over one more night.
(b) That what Tony told them about the innkeeper is true.
(c) That they must get away from Hardcastle.
(d) That Hardcastle can tell them which way to go to find Kate.
2. How is Mr. Hardcastle astonished by Kate's conversation?
(a) She says that Marlow spoke well and was very courteous.
(b) She says Marlow was timid and had a bashful manner.
(c) She says that Marlow was as much a gentleman as Hastings.
(d) She says that Marlow is the very image of a grand gentleman.
3. When Hastings offers them something already made up, what is Marlow's aside to Hastings?
(a) In Liberty Hall we have only what he pleases.
(b) I hope this is fit to drink.
(c) I wonder how long it has sat there?
(d) Do you suppose the wine is soured?
4. What funny comment does Hardcastle make to the audience about the behavior of Marlow and Hastings?
(a) No wonder Sir Charles was anxious to send his son to the country.
(b) Next thing he'll want me to fluff his pillows.
(c) It may be modern modesty but looks like old-fashioned impudence.
(d) If he were not Sir Charles' son, I'd send him packing.
5. What does Mr. Hardcastle say Marlow has to do?
(a) Crawl on his hands and knees.
(b) Give up playing jokes on his host.
(c) Reconcile contradictions.
(d) Work in the inn for one year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Marlow envy Hastings?
2. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
3. What does Mr. Hardcastle say the neighbors bring back from their trips to town?
4. What does the landlord say about available accommodations?
5. What does Tony warn them of once they get to the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
2. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
3. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
4. What is Mr. Hardcastle's first impression of Marlow and his friend Hastings?
5. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
6. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
7. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
8. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
9. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
10. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)