|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anxious to be off, what does Marlow ask Tony?
(a) Can we purchase some torches here?
(b) How much do you think they will charge?
(c) We are to turn right, did you say?
(d) Are there any bridges to cross?
2. What does Mr. Hardcastle tell his wife when she suggests that Tony is consumptive.
(a) No, my dear, he's just in love.
(b) Yes, but he won't see a doctor.
(c) Yes, if growing fat is one of the symptoms.
(d) No, wife, his clothes are too large for him.
3. What does Mr. Hardcastle expect from Diggory who was brought into the house from his work in the barn?
(a) To perform the duties of butler.
(b) To dance and entertain the guests.
(c) To make a show at the side table.
(d) To act as doorman.
4. What refreshment does Marlow ask of Hardcastle?
(a) Milk and biscuits.
(b) A glass of warm punch.
(c) A gin and tonic.
(d) An Irish whisky.
5. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
(a) That he cannot understand Sir Charles playing such a joke on him.
(b) That he must not let Kate meet the young man.
(c) He is the most impudent piece of brass that ever spoke with a tongue.
(d) That he should run him off with a pitchfork.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Diggory say he learned how to hold his hands?
2. What does Hardcastle say about the servants overhearing one of his funny stories?
3. What does Tony do when he discovers that Marlow and Hastings are hopelessly lost?
4. How does Hardcastle finally get the attention of Marlow and Hastings?
5. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
2. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
3. Why does Hastings insist that Constance continue the ruse that they are in an inn?
4. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
5. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
6. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
7. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
8. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
9. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
10. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)