|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hardcastle finally get the attention of Marlow and Hastings?
(a) By kicking them.
(b) By mentioning sex.
(c) By talking louder.
(d) By firing a pistol.
2. What is Hastings' double entendre about the calf brains on the menu?
(a) I supposed you had only a half a brain.
(b) A brain is something missing in most houses.
(c) Let your brains be knocked out, sir, I don't like them.
(d) Do you suggest we lack brains, sir?
3. As soon as Hardcastle is out of sight, what do the servants begin saying?
(a) They say they are going back to their old jobs.
(b) None of them can remember his or her job.
(c) They begin arguing over which one is most important.
(d) They say the master has lost his mind.
4. What does Tony do when he discovers that Marlow and Hastings are hopelessly lost?
(a) He sends them headed back toward London.
(b) He gives them long, complicated directions to Hardcastle mansion.
(c) He tells them no one in those parts know a Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) He offers to go with them to show the way.
5. Hardcastle does not recognize the insults at first and attempts to do what?
(a) Get them to sit at a table.
(b) Order Marlow and Hastings to sit down.
(c) Enter into a conversation with Marlow and Hastings.
(d) Advise them about their dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hardcastle say about the servants overhearing one of his funny stories?
2. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
3. What funny comment does Hardcastle make to the audience about the behavior of Marlow and Hastings?
4. What is Marlow's experience with proper young ladies?
5. Where does Diggory say he learned how to hold his hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
2. When Mrs. Hardcastle sees Tony and Constance together, what does she assume?
3. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
4. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
5. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
6. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
7. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
8. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
9. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
10. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)