|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hardcastle reminded of when he hears the word retreat?
(a) General Custer.
(b) The Duke of Marlborough.
(c) Napoleon Bonepart.
(d) The Earl of Bath.
2. What does Tony come running into the room to announce?
(a) That he has Constance's jewels to give her.
(b) That his mother will not release the jewels.
(c) That he overheard Hastings and Constance planning an elopement.
(d) That the barn is on fire.
3. Does Mr. Hardcastle think he might change his mind about Marlow?
(a) Yes, because Kate might end up being an old maid.
(b) No, because he will not give him a chance to apologize.
(c) Yes, if Sir Charles comes and straightens his son out.
(d) No, he trusts his first impression.
4. As soon as Hardcastle is out of sight, what do the servants begin saying?
(a) They say the master has lost his mind.
(b) They say they are going back to their old jobs.
(c) They begin arguing over which one is most important.
(d) None of them can remember his or her job.
5. What sort of sales pitch does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter?
(a) He wants her to learn to cook.
(b) He praises a young man who is coming to visit.
(c) He begs her to spend less on clothes.
(d) He offers to send her to the university.
Short Answer Questions
1. What funny comment does Hardcastle make to the audience about the behavior of Marlow and Hastings?
2. Why is Tony suddenly brave enough to play a prank on Hardcastle and his guests.
3. What dichotomy does Marlow bewail?
4. Why is Mrs. Hardcastle trying to make a match between Tony and Constance?
5. Giving up on following Tony's directions, what does Marlow do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening simultaneously as Tony runs in with the casket of jewels?
2. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
3. When Mrs. Hardcastle sees Tony and Constance together, what does she assume?
4. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
5. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
6. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
7. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
8. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
9. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
10. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)