|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony come running into the room to announce?
(a) That he has Constance's jewels to give her.
(b) That his mother will not release the jewels.
(c) That he overheard Hastings and Constance planning an elopement.
(d) That the barn is on fire.
2. What is Tony looking forward to in the near future?
(a) Coming into his inheritance of 1,500 pounds a year.
(b) Being presented at court.
(c) Going abraod for an extended vacation.
(d) Getting even with Kate for standing between him and Constance.
3. Who comes to visit Kate as she is contemplating the evening and meeting Marlow?
(a) Mrs. Hardcastle wanting to know what her husband told Kate.
(b) Tony Lumpkin, her stepbrother.
(c) The maid with a glass of milk.
(d) Constance Neville, her best friend.
4. Does Mr. Hardcastle think he might change his mind about Marlow?
(a) Yes, if Sir Charles comes and straightens his son out.
(b) Yes, because Kate might end up being an old maid.
(c) No, because he will not give him a chance to apologize.
(d) No, he trusts his first impression.
5. What does Mr. Hardcastle say Marlow has to do?
(a) Crawl on his hands and knees.
(b) Work in the inn for one year.
(c) Give up playing jokes on his host.
(d) Reconcile contradictions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Hardcastle hears a coach drive up in front of the house?
2. What is Mrs. Hardcastle's state of mind when she returns to the living room?
3. What does Hastings say about Marlow in the company of women of reputation?
4. Why does Constance not believe that Mrs. Hardcastle has lost her jewels?
5. What sort of sales pitch does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
2. How do we know that Kate is actually excited at the prospect of a handsome, well-mannered husband-to-be?
3. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
4. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
5. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
6. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
7. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
8. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
9. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
10. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)