|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Hardcastle trying to make a match between Tony and Constance?
(a) Constance inherited a fortune in jewels.
(b) Tony has never been able to attract a woman.
(c) Constance stands to inherit a title.
(d) Tony needs to settle down before he gets too old.
2. What is Tony's composition he leads at the Three Pigeons?
(a) A raunchy limerick.
(b) A drinking song.
(c) A pledge of allegiance.
(d) An epic poem.
3. What does the landlord say about available accommodations?
(a) He says they can have the bridal suite.
(b) He says they are welcome to sleep in the barn.
(c) He says they can sit down and put their heads on a table.
(d) He says there is only one bed with three men in it already.
4. What does Tony tell Marlow and Hastings about the owner of the inn?
(a) He tells them that the old man loves to play tricks on his guests.
(b) He tells them that the old man is a lunatic.
(c) He tells them that the owner is away and there are imposters in the inn.
(d) He says that he is closing the inn and fancies himself a country gentleman.
5. Where does Diggory say he learned how to hold his hands?
(a) In prison.
(b) In church.
(c) In the militia.
(d) In the university.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hardcastle finally get the attention of Marlow and Hastings?
2. What names has Mr. Hardcastle been calling Tony for almost a year?
3. What has Kate promised her father about her dress in the evenings?
4. Anxious to be off, what does Marlow ask Tony?
5. How is Mr. Hardcastle astonished by Kate's conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hastings really want to discuss with Tony?
2. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
3. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
4. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
5. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
6. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
7. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
8. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
9. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
10. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)