|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Hardcastle's complaint with her husband?
(a) They never have company come to the house.
(b) They do not travel to town now and then.
(c) He doesn't dress for dinner.
(d) He has no taste in furniture.
2. What dichotomy does Marlow bewail?
(a) Lower class women do not expect marriage like the upper class.
(b) An impudent man may fake modesty, but a modest man cannot fake impudence.
(c) You cannot pay upper class women the same as you do the lower class.
(d) Low class women are not bound by the reserve of upper class women.
3. What is Hardcastle's reaction when Kate enters the room?
(a) He is pleased with the modesty of her dress as they had agreed.
(b) That she must leave at once and go to London.
(c) That she will hate him for recommending Marlow to her.
(d) That she must stay in her room until Marlow departs.
4. What names has Mr. Hardcastle been calling Tony for almost a year?
(a) Fat and sassy.
(b) Pigeon lover and turkey neck.
(c) Whelp and hound.
(d) Dumb and dirty.
5. Before offering to give directions to Marlow and Hastings, what does Tony want to know?
(a) If they know where they are and how they got there.
(b) If they have servants traveling with them.
(c) If they need to see Hardcastle right away.
(d) If they have an invitation to the Hardcastle mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kate agrees to accept the young man if he asks for her hand, how does her father tease her?
2. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
3. When Hastings offers them something already made up, what is Marlow's aside to Hastings?
4. What is Marlow's reaction when he sees the menu for the night's supper?
5. Giving up on following Tony's directions, what does Marlow do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
2. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
3. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
4. Describe the landlord's reaction when Tony gives Marlow and Hastings directions to an inn which he calls Buck's Head.
5. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
6. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
7. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
8. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
9. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
10. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)