|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of sales pitch does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter?
(a) He wants her to learn to cook.
(b) He praises a young man who is coming to visit.
(c) He begs her to spend less on clothes.
(d) He offers to send her to the university.
2. What does Hastings say about Marlow in the company of women of reputation?
(a) He gets grand and ignores the women.
(b) He turns red and cannot speak.
(c) He is a trembler looking like he wants to steal out of the room.
(d) He puts on airs that the women can see right through.
3. How does Hardcastle say the servants are like their betters?
(a) They are too concerned about their dress.
(b) They are only interested in the money.
(c) They are arguing over places of importance.
(d) They want some staff to be under them.
4. What happens when Hardcastle asks the servants about serving wine?
(a) They all say that they prefer ale.
(b) They all start wishing for a glass of wine.
(c) They all rush out to get the wine.
(d) No one moves to get the wine.
5. Giving up on following Tony's directions, what does Marlow do?
(a) He tells Hastings that this is why he never stopped to ask directions.
(b) He asks the landlord for a room for the night.
(c) He says they can sleep in the carriage.
(d) He suggests they return to London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony tell Marlow and Hastings about the owner of the inn?
2. What does Mrs. Hardcastle say their mansion looks like?
3. What is Hastings' double entendre about the calf brains on the menu?
4. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
5. How do Hastings and Marlow continue to ignore Hardcastle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mr. Hardcastle's first impression of Marlow and his friend Hastings?
2. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
3. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
4. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
5. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
6. What does Marlow say to Hastings about his ability with women?
7. Using Mr. Hardcastle's speech at the beginning of act 3, define and explain the soliloquy.
8. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
9. Tell how Tony describes the Hardcastle family.
10. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)