|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Mr. Hardcastle think he might change his mind about Marlow?
(a) No, because he will not give him a chance to apologize.
(b) Yes, because Kate might end up being an old maid.
(c) Yes, if Sir Charles comes and straightens his son out.
(d) No, he trusts his first impression.
2. After the meal problem is settled, what demands do Marlow and Hastings make?
(a) That they go see to the making of their beds.
(b) That their beds are positioned facing East.
(c) That their bed chambers are aired out properly.
(d) That new mattresses be placed on their beds.
3. What is the one area of agreement between Kate and Mr. Hardcastle about Marlow?
(a) Maybe he is just tired from the long trip from London.
(b) If he is what they saw of him on first meeting, neither of them will consent to a marriage.
(c) He is a man with a split personality.
(d) They think they can change him to be a respectable gentleman.
4. What sort of sales pitch does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter?
(a) He praises a young man who is coming to visit.
(b) He begs her to spend less on clothes.
(c) He wants her to learn to cook.
(d) He offers to send her to the university.
5. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
(a) He is the most impudent piece of brass that ever spoke with a tongue.
(b) That he should run him off with a pitchfork.
(c) That he must not let Kate meet the young man.
(d) That he cannot understand Sir Charles playing such a joke on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
2. What does Mr. Hardcastle say Marlow has to do?
3. What is Mr. Hardcastle attempting to do with his servants?
4. How does Tony calm down Constance?
5. What is Marlow's reaction when he sees the menu for the night's supper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
2. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
3. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
4. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
5. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
6. Why is Mr. Hardcastle training his servants?
7. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
8. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
9. Tony has the landlord give the directions which no one could possibly follow. What fun do they have when Marlow asks for a room at the Three Pigeons?
10. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)