|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
(a) That he is in Hardcastle's house and not an inn.
(b) That Marlow is madly in love with Kate.
(c) That Constance will forget her jewels and elope with Hastings.
(d) That Tony Lumpkin had nothing to do with the joke.
2. Who does Mrs. Hardcastle dote on?
(a) Tony Lumpkin, her son by her late first husband.
(b) Young Marlow, Sir Charles Marlow's son.
(c) Kate, Mr. Hardcastle's daughter.
(d) Miss Neville, Mrs. Hardcastle's niece.
3. What funny comment does Hardcastle make to the audience about the behavior of Marlow and Hastings?
(a) It may be modern modesty but looks like old-fashioned impudence.
(b) If he were not Sir Charles' son, I'd send him packing.
(c) Next thing he'll want me to fluff his pillows.
(d) No wonder Sir Charles was anxious to send his son to the country.
4. What is Marlow's experience with proper young ladies?
(a) None whatsoever because he has been in all-boy schools.
(b) Only experience with his cousins.
(c) A lot of experience that always ends badly.
(d) Hardly no experience with ladies of the upper class.
5. How does Hardcastle say the servants are like their betters?
(a) They want some staff to be under them.
(b) They are arguing over places of importance.
(c) They are too concerned about their dress.
(d) They are only interested in the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
2. What does Tony come running into the room to announce?
3. What is Tony's reply when Hastings asks how he managed to get the jewels?
4. Hardcastle is stunned by their rudeness but offers what service?
5. Giving up on following Tony's directions, what does Marlow do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the audience get a picture of Tony Lumpkin before he even enters the stage?
2. Describe how Tony sees his chance to get back at his stepfather when the landlord says there are two gentlemen looking for Hardcastle's house.
3. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
4. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
5. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
6. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
7. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
8. Describe the argument Tony has with Mrs. Hardcastle in front of Constance and Hastings.
9. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
10. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)