|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tony's one word admonition to the landlord of the pub?
(c) Don't forget!
2. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
(a) They are for looking at and not for wearing.
(b) Only when she has paste copies of them.
(c) Only when she's presented at court.
(d) When she is in her forties and her beauty needs repairing.
3. What is so amusing about the way Kate and her father describe Marlow?
(a) It sounds as though they are not talking about the same man.
(b) They agree completely about Marlow.
(c) They can hardly contain their laughter at the man.
(d) They are not listening to each other.
4. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
(a) He says they have hard beds and sour wine.
(b) He says they get their guests out of bed when the rooster crows each morning.
(c) He says there is a rumor that they steal from their guests while they sleep.
(d) He says they have good beds and fine wine.
5. What does Mr. Hardcastle tell his wife when she suggests that Tony is consumptive.
(a) No, my dear, he's just in love.
(b) Yes, if growing fat is one of the symptoms.
(c) No, wife, his clothes are too large for him.
(d) Yes, but he won't see a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What argument does the subject of age bring up between the Hardcastles?
2. What does Tony volunteer to do as Marlow and Hastings head out the door of the Three Pigeons?
3. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
4. How do Hastings and Marlow continue to ignore Hardcastle?
5. What does Mr. Hardcastle expect from Diggory who was brought into the house from his work in the barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
2. Explain the hilarity when Mrs. Hardcastle discovers that the jewels are not where she left them.
3. Explain how the scene in the Three Pigeons is typical of an English pub.
4. What clue does the landlord give in the muttered line that Tony is a damn'd mischievous son of a whore?
5. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
6. After looking at the night's menu, what does Marlow do?
7. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
8. What is so humorous about the conversation Kate and her father have about Marlow?
9. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
10. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)