|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Marlow's experience with proper young ladies?
(a) Hardly no experience with ladies of the upper class.
(b) Only experience with his cousins.
(c) A lot of experience that always ends badly.
(d) None whatsoever because he has been in all-boy schools.
2. What is the one area of agreement between Kate and Mr. Hardcastle about Marlow?
(a) If he is what they saw of him on first meeting, neither of them will consent to a marriage.
(b) Maybe he is just tired from the long trip from London.
(c) They think they can change him to be a respectable gentleman.
(d) He is a man with a split personality.
3. What joke does Tony play on Hastings and Marlow?.
(a) He gives them directions to Hardcastle's house but tells them it is an inn.
(b) He puts something in their ale that will put them to sleep.
(c) He tells them that Hardcastle and his daughter have gone to Paris.
(d) He sends someone out to loosen the reins on their horses.
4. Before offering to give directions to Marlow and Hastings, what does Tony want to know?
(a) If they know where they are and how they got there.
(b) If they have an invitation to the Hardcastle mansion.
(c) If they need to see Hardcastle right away.
(d) If they have servants traveling with them.
5. What does Mr. Hardcastle tell his wife when she suggests that Tony is consumptive.
(a) No, my dear, he's just in love.
(b) Yes, if growing fat is one of the symptoms.
(c) Yes, but he won't see a doctor.
(d) No, wife, his clothes are too large for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Hastings and Marlow continue to ignore Hardcastle?
2. How does Tony calm down Constance?
3. Who does Mrs. Hardcastle dote on?
4. What do Hastings and Marlow believe?
5. What does Tony tell Marlow and Hastings about the owner of the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the initial conversation between Hastings and Mrs. Hardcastle.
2. How do Marlow and Hastings treat Mr. Hardcastle at what they suppose is an inn?
3. What does the audience learn right away of Kate Hardcastle's character.
4. Explain Tony's trickery with Mrs. Hardcastle when Constance is pressing her to relinquish her jewels.
5. Describe Tony Lumpkins' problem with his mother and Miss Neville.
6. What is the news Mr. Hardcastle gives his daughter about her future?
7. How does Hastings inject himself into the argument between Tony and his mother?
8. Explain why Tony is so sure he can handle Mrs. Hardcastle.
9. How is Mr. Hardcastle different from his wife?
10. How does the dialogue of the opening scene give the audience a clue as to Mrs. Hardcastle's character?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)