|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony say to Constance about the jewels now back with his mother.
(a) That she can steal them this time.
(b) That his mother will force them to marry now that she has the jewels.
(c) That Hastings will have to steal them again.
(d) That he doesn't know where she has put them this time.
2. What does Mrs. Hardcastle propose to do after she learns the truth about Constance and Hastings?
(a) She plans to lock Constance in her room until Hastings leaves.
(b) She plans to call the vicar and have Constance and Tony marry immediately.
(c) She plans to take Constance to her Aunt Pedigree in London.
(d) She plans to charge Hastings with stealing the jewels.
3. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
(a) He says he cannot get any repose in the house.
(b) He says the servants are impossible.
(c) He says he cannot find Hastings.
(d) He says the innkeeper is rude.
4. When Sir Charles questions Kate, what does she say about his son's behavior toward her?
(a) She says he gave the standard courtship speech and professed his love.
(b) She says that he talked like he would talk to a barmaid.
(c) She says he pressed her to elope with him.
(d) She says he stammered and stuttered and made eyes at her.
5. Tony thinks Constance has not read all of the letter, so what does he do?
(a) He gives it to his mother to finish reading.
(b) He sits down and tries to read it himself.
(c) He has a temper tantrum.
(d) He puts the letter in his pocket to read later.
6. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Losing Constance to Tony.
(b) Waiting three years before they can marry.
(c) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
(d) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
7. Why does Marlow insist the house is his?
(a) He thinks the house belongs to his father.
(b) He thinks he has bought the house.
(c) He still thinks it is an inn and that he is paying for everything.
(d) He thinks the real owner will put Hardcastle out.
8. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
(a) That he cannot believe reports about his son.
(b) That he is too busy to come to Liberty Hall.
(c) That he is coming to Hardcastle's house.
(d) That he wants to meet Kate.
9. What does Constance attempt to do?
(a) Knock the letter into the fireplace.
(b) Pour water on the letter so that the ink runs.
(c) Get Tony to read the letter later.
(d) Get Mrs. Hardcastle away by telling her a story about Tony.
10. What does Marlow do with the jewels?
(a) He puts them in thleir carriage.
(b) He hides them under the bed.
(c) He puts them in his locked luggage.
(d) Not knowing what they are, he deposits them with Mrs. Hardcastle.
11. Where is Hastings waiting for Tony?
(a) At the Three Pigeons.
(b) In his room.
(c) In the back of the garden.
(d) In front of the house.
12. Why is Marlow so sure that Kate will surrender herself to him?
(a) She is toying with him by not allowing him to kiss her.
(b) She invited him up to see her embroidery which he takes as a sexual meaning.
(c) Her eyes tell him that she is interested in him.
(d) She sent him a note to meet her later.
13. How does Marlow say he saw Kate?
(a) He saw her as a simple-minded gold digger.
(b) He saw her without emotion and parted without regret.
(c) He saw her as a witless girl.
(d) He saw her only as a bonnet.
14. What has Tony arranged for Hastings and Constance?
(a) Disguises to make their getaway.
(b) A wedding trip to Paris.
(c) The key to his mother's bureau.
(d) A pair of fast horses.
15. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
(a) That he will laugh Marlow out of his resolve to leave.
(b) That he will be furious with Tony and Hastings.
(c) That he will have a heart attack and die.
(d) That he won't believe a word of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters while Kate is struggling to get her hand away from Marlow?
2. When Hastings accuses Marlow of planning to rob the barmaid of her honor, what does Marlow reply?
3. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
4. What time-consuming action had Tony taken on the ride?
5. Where is Mr. Hardcastle while Mrs. Hardcastle is leaving with Constance?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)