|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
(b) Waiting three years before they can marry.
(c) Losing Constance to Tony.
(d) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
2. Where is Hastings waiting for Tony?
(a) In the back of the garden.
(b) In front of the house.
(c) At the Three Pigeons.
(d) In his room.
3. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
(a) That Marlow ordered his servants to drink.
(b) That the barmaid gave them the keys to the cellar.
(c) That Sir Charles always allowd them to get drunk at an inn.
(d) That the Hardcastle servant girls where getting them drunk for sport.
4. What does Marlow say that Kate overhears?
(a) That Miss Hardcastle wears ridiculous clothes.
(b) That Miss Hardcastle hides her face under a bonnet.
(c) That Miss Hardcastle is too grave and sentimental for him.
(d) That Miss Hardcastle talks too much.
5. How does Miss Neville know who the letter is from?
(a) She knows Hastings is going to write.
(b) She snatches the letter from Tony's hand.
(c) She reads the letter for Tony.
(d) She recognizes the handwriting.
6. What does Mrs. Hardcastle discover when she goes to help Tony with the robber?
(a) It is Hastings and Constance trying to get away.
(b) It is Mr. Hardcastle and not a robber at all.
(c) There are three men jumping on Tony.
(d) Tony is fighting a bush.
7. When Hastings accuses Marlow of planning to rob the barmaid of her honor, what does Marlow reply?
(a) He will marry her if she gets pregnant.
(b) You can't rob something that is freely given.
(c) Pshaw, you know barmaids don't worry about honor.
(d) There is nothing in this house I do not intend to pay for.
8. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
(a) A poor relation working for Mr. Hardcastle.
(b) Tony Lumpkin's cousin.
(c) The house barmaid.
(d) Mrs. Hardcastle's personal servant.
9. What does Marlow do with the jewels?
(a) He hides them under the bed.
(b) He puts them in thleir carriage.
(c) Not knowing what they are, he deposits them with Mrs. Hardcastle.
(d) He puts them in his locked luggage.
10. Who comes up with a plan to save the day?
11. How does Mrs. Hardcastle show her blind love of her son, Tony?
(a) She buys him the latest fashion clothes.
(b) She gives him a fortune.
(c) She orders a painting done of him.
(d) She says he could charm the birds from the trees.
12. What is Tony's problem with the letter?
(a) He doesn't have his glasses.
(b) He doesn't read French.
(c) He cannot read handwriting.
(d) It is too dark in the room.
13. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
(a) That the post carriage broke down about a mile from the house.
(b) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance are thirty miles away already.
(c) That a maid dressed in Constance's clothes is in the carriage with Mrs. Hardcastle.
(d) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance have returned.
14. What does Hardcastle say that girls like?
(a) To think that they are tormenting a man.
(b) To be offered expensive jewels.
(c) To be played with and rumpled a little, too.
(d) To be put in their place.
15. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
(a) That he will laugh Marlow out of his resolve to leave.
(b) That he will be furious with Tony and Hastings.
(c) That he won't believe a word of it.
(d) That he will have a heart attack and die.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subterfuge do Constance and Tony carry out when Mrs. Hardcastle is in the room?
2. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
3. How many times does Marlow insist he had an interview with Kate?
4. Who tells Kate that Marlow thinks the house is an inn?
5. How does Marlow conspire to get closer to Kate?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)