|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony say to Constance about the jewels now back with his mother.
(a) That his mother will force them to marry now that she has the jewels.
(b) That he doesn't know where she has put them this time.
(c) That Hastings will have to steal them again.
(d) That she can steal them this time.
2. What is Kate's plan for Marlow?
(a) She plans to trick Marlow into marrying her.
(b) She plans to keep up his delusion.
(c) She plans to pretend to be Kate's sister.
(d) She plans to make Marlow think she loves Hastings.
3. How does Marlow conspire to get closer to Kate?
(a) He tries guessing her age and must come for a closer look.
(b) He moves in quickly when she looks away.
(c) He asks her to dance with him.
(d) He pretends to trip on the carpet.
4. What is in the letter?
(a) A court summons in a murder case.
(b) A message from Hastings about the elopement.
(c) A message about finding the jewels again.
(d) A bill for Tony's gambling debts.
5. What does Tony suggest to Hastings?
(a) Go and bargain with Mrs. Hardcastle or you will leave her in the pond.
(b) Wait until Mrs. Hardcastle falls alseep from exhaustion and then get Constance.
(c) Get his horses, go to the pond for Constance, and ride away.
(d) Go collect Constance and bring Mr. Hardcastle along.
6. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
(a) That a maid dressed in Constance's clothes is in the carriage with Mrs. Hardcastle.
(b) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance have returned.
(c) That the post carriage broke down about a mile from the house.
(d) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance are thirty miles away already.
7. How does Marlow ask Kate for a kiss?
(a) He talks about the nectar of her lips and he wants a taste.
(b) He pulls her to him and tells her to close her eyes.
(c) He asks her to kiss him for good luck when he meets Miss Hardcastle later.
(d) He asks her to kiss him so he knows he's not dreaming.
8. Why does Hastings say they must hurry if they plan to elope?
(a) Because Sir Charles knows Hastings and would say too much.
(b) Because everyone will be watching closely when Sir Charles arrives.
(c) Because there will be guards when Sir Charles arrives.
(d) Because young Marlow will discover his mistake and be angry.
9. What does the maid question about Kate's plan?
(a) Whether Constance will go along with the sceme.
(b) Whether she can act the part of a barmaid.
(c) Whether Kate can get her father to agree to her plan.
(d) Whether Marlow will stay in the house.
10. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
(b) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
(c) Losing Constance to Tony.
(d) Waiting three years before they can marry.
11. What does Kate convince her father to do?
(a) Let her have her fun with Marlow before telling him who she is.
(b) Give her time to prove that Marlow really is a modest gentleman.
(c) Help her make Marlow make a fool of himself.
(d) Invite Marlow to return to the house as often as he likes.
12. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
(a) Confused and unhappy.
(b) Angry and covered with straw.
(c) Weary, booted, and splattered with mud.
(d) Excited and jumping with joy.
13. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
(a) He says the innkeeper is rude.
(b) He says the servants are impossible.
(c) He says he cannot find Hastings.
(d) He says he cannot get any repose in the house.
14. What does Marlow now fear?
(a) That now he will be forced to marry Miss Hardcastle.
(b) That Kate will not show him her embroidery.
(c) That his father will disinherit him.
(d) That he will be drawn in characature and made fun of.
15. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
(a) She says that she hears Mr. Hardcastle coming.
(b) She faints.
(c) She calls Mrs. Hardcastle mother and says she should help her.
(d) She snatches the letter away and pretends to read.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
2. When Sir Charles questions Kate, what does she say about his son's behavior toward her?
3. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
4. What does Hardcastle say that girls like?
5. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)