|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marlow ask Kate for a kiss?
(a) He pulls her to him and tells her to close her eyes.
(b) He talks about the nectar of her lips and he wants a taste.
(c) He asks her to kiss him so he knows he's not dreaming.
(d) He asks her to kiss him for good luck when he meets Miss Hardcastle later.
2. What is in the letter?
(a) A bill for Tony's gambling debts.
(b) A message from Hastings about the elopement.
(c) A court summons in a murder case.
(d) A message about finding the jewels again.
3. How does Mrs. Hardcastle show her blind love of her son, Tony?
(a) She gives him a fortune.
(b) She orders a painting done of him.
(c) She says he could charm the birds from the trees.
(d) She buys him the latest fashion clothes.
4. What does Marlow now fear?
(a) That now he will be forced to marry Miss Hardcastle.
(b) That Kate will not show him her embroidery.
(c) That his father will disinherit him.
(d) That he will be drawn in characature and made fun of.
5. What does Kate say to herself about Marlow.
(a) That he is worse than she thought.
(b) That he was the one she had stooped to conquer.
(c) That he must leave at once.
(d) That her father will not believe his story.
6. What does Marlow do in front of his father?
(a) Demand to see the barmaid.
(b) Offer to pay for any damages done to Hardcastle's property.
(c) Asks Mr. Hardcastle's forgiveness one more time.
(d) Rant at the cruelty of his deception.
7. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
(a) He pauses trying to remember who she is.
(b) He becomes quite flirtatious.
(c) He orders a sandwich.
(d) He starts stammering again.
8. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
(a) That the Hardcastle servant girls where getting them drunk for sport.
(b) That the barmaid gave them the keys to the cellar.
(c) That Marlow ordered his servants to drink.
(d) That Sir Charles always allowd them to get drunk at an inn.
9. What does Hardcastle tell Kate he plans to do?
(a) Challenge Marlow to a duel.
(b) Send for Sir Charles Marlow to come.
(c) Have Diggory watch Marlow's every move.
(d) Send Marlow back to his father.
10. When Hardcastle cannot stand any more, what does he do?
(a) He challenges Marlow to a duel.
(b) He gets drunk himself.
(c) He sends for the sheriff.
(d) He orders Marlow to leave his house.
11. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
(a) That the post carriage broke down about a mile from the house.
(b) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance are thirty miles away already.
(c) That a maid dressed in Constance's clothes is in the carriage with Mrs. Hardcastle.
(d) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance have returned.
12. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
(a) She says that he proposed marriage and she turned him down.
(b) She says that they have met many times.
(c) She says that they never met.
(d) She says that he insulted her.
13. What is Kate's response as Marlow moves closer to her?
(a) She asks of he thinks she's wearing a mask.
(b) She runs behind a large chair.
(c) She asks if he is trying to guess her age the way they do horses.
(d) She asks if he is in need of glasses.
14. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
(a) Driven them around in circles for hours and returned home.
(b) He put his mother out fifteen miles away and returned with Constance.
(c) Tied them to a tree about twenty miles away.
(d) Knocked them unconscious and brought them back.
15. Where is Mr. Hardcastle while Mrs. Hardcastle is leaving with Constance?
(a) He is in the pantry eating a second breakfast.
(b) He is trying to find Marlow and put him at ease.
(c) He is laughing with Sir Charles over the joke that was played on young Marlow.
(d) He is out looking for Kate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hardcastle discover when she goes to help Tony with the robber?
2. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
3. What does Mrs. Hardcastle propose to do after she learns the truth about Constance and Hastings?
4. What does Sir Charles say will happen if what Kate has said turns out to be true?
5. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)