|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
(a) That Sir Charles always allowd them to get drunk at an inn.
(b) That the barmaid gave them the keys to the cellar.
(c) That the Hardcastle servant girls where getting them drunk for sport.
(d) That Marlow ordered his servants to drink.
2. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
(a) Tony Lumpkin's cousin.
(b) A poor relation working for Mr. Hardcastle.
(c) The house barmaid.
(d) Mrs. Hardcastle's personal servant.
3. What does Mrs. Hardcastle not recognize as Tony and Constance banter back and forth?
(a) The sarcasm in their declarations of love for each other.
(b) How nervous they are around her.
(c) How they do not seem to listen to one another.
(d) How their faces reveal their true love.
4. Why is Marlow so sure that Kate will surrender herself to him?
(a) She is toying with him by not allowing him to kiss her.
(b) She sent him a note to meet her later.
(c) She invited him up to see her embroidery which he takes as a sexual meaning.
(d) Her eyes tell him that she is interested in him.
5. How does Marlow conspire to get closer to Kate?
(a) He moves in quickly when she looks away.
(b) He pretends to trip on the carpet.
(c) He tries guessing her age and must come for a closer look.
(d) He asks her to dance with him.
6. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
(a) Weary, booted, and splattered with mud.
(b) Excited and jumping with joy.
(c) Confused and unhappy.
(d) Angry and covered with straw.
7. What does Constance attempt to do?
(a) Knock the letter into the fireplace.
(b) Get Mrs. Hardcastle away by telling her a story about Tony.
(c) Pour water on the letter so that the ink runs.
(d) Get Tony to read the letter later.
8. How does Marlow ask Kate for a kiss?
(a) He asks her to kiss him for good luck when he meets Miss Hardcastle later.
(b) He pulls her to him and tells her to close her eyes.
(c) He talks about the nectar of her lips and he wants a taste.
(d) He asks her to kiss him so he knows he's not dreaming.
9. How is Hastings shocked by Marlow?
(a) He finds out that Marlow sent the casket of jewels to the landlady.
(b) He learns that Marlow is leaving Liberty Hall with the barmaid.
(c) He sees that Marlow has no intention of marrying Miss Hardcastle.
(d) Marlow tells him that the barmaid is waiting for him in his room.
10. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
(b) Losing Constance to Tony.
(c) Waiting three years before they can marry.
(d) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
11. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
(b) Mrs. Hardcastle.
(d) Mr. Hardcastle.
12. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
(a) She says that she hears Mr. Hardcastle coming.
(b) She snatches the letter away and pretends to read.
(c) She calls Mrs. Hardcastle mother and says she should help her.
(d) She faints.
13. What does Mrs. Hardcastle discover when she goes to help Tony with the robber?
(a) Tony is fighting a bush.
(b) It is Hastings and Constance trying to get away.
(c) There are three men jumping on Tony.
(d) It is Mr. Hardcastle and not a robber at all.
14. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
(a) Just on the outskirts of London but they need help.
(b) About twenty miles from their house where the road made a hard turn they had missed.
(c) He tells her he has no idea where they are because things happened so fast.
(d) About forty miles from home in a dangerous place for robbers.
15. Where is Mr. Hardcastle while Mrs. Hardcastle is leaving with Constance?
(a) He is in the pantry eating a second breakfast.
(b) He is laughing with Sir Charles over the joke that was played on young Marlow.
(c) He is trying to find Marlow and put him at ease.
(d) He is out looking for Kate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kate's plan for Marlow?
2. What does Hardcastle say that girls like?
3. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
4. How does Marlow say he saw Kate?
5. Who enters while Kate is struggling to get her hand away from Marlow?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)