|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sir Charles questions Kate, what does she say about his son's behavior toward her?
(a) She says he gave the standard courtship speech and professed his love.
(b) She says he stammered and stuttered and made eyes at her.
(c) She says he pressed her to elope with him.
(d) She says that he talked like he would talk to a barmaid.
2. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
(a) She calls Mrs. Hardcastle mother and says she should help her.
(b) She snatches the letter away and pretends to read.
(c) She says that she hears Mr. Hardcastle coming.
(d) She faints.
3. What does Marlow now fear?
(a) That his father will disinherit him.
(b) That now he will be forced to marry Miss Hardcastle.
(c) That Kate will not show him her embroidery.
(d) That he will be drawn in characature and made fun of.
4. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
(a) Knocked them unconscious and brought them back.
(b) Driven them around in circles for hours and returned home.
(c) He put his mother out fifteen miles away and returned with Constance.
(d) Tied them to a tree about twenty miles away.
5. How is Hastings shocked by Marlow?
(a) He learns that Marlow is leaving Liberty Hall with the barmaid.
(b) He finds out that Marlow sent the casket of jewels to the landlady.
(c) Marlow tells him that the barmaid is waiting for him in his room.
(d) He sees that Marlow has no intention of marrying Miss Hardcastle.
6. What does Hardcastle tell Kate he plans to do?
(a) Send Marlow back to his father.
(b) Have Diggory watch Marlow's every move.
(c) Send for Sir Charles Marlow to come.
(d) Challenge Marlow to a duel.
7. How does Mrs. Hardcastle show her blind love of her son, Tony?
(a) She orders a painting done of him.
(b) She gives him a fortune.
(c) She says he could charm the birds from the trees.
(d) She buys him the latest fashion clothes.
8. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
(a) That he will have a heart attack and die.
(b) That he will be furious with Tony and Hastings.
(c) That he won't believe a word of it.
(d) That he will laugh Marlow out of his resolve to leave.
9. What does Tony say to Constance about the jewels now back with his mother.
(a) That Hastings will have to steal them again.
(b) That his mother will force them to marry now that she has the jewels.
(c) That he doesn't know where she has put them this time.
(d) That she can steal them this time.
10. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
(a) He tells her there are a gang of thieves headed their way.
(b) He tells her to go back to the horsepond and wait for him.
(c) He tells her a highwayman is coming and she should hide in the thicket.
(d) He tells her to hide and he will stand guard.
11. After Marlow runs from the room, how does Hardcastle confront his daughter.
(a) He laughs at the ridiculous scene he just witnessed.
(b) He tells her to go put on her finery.
(c) He asks what she is up to.
(d) He shames her for lying to him.
12. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react to Tony's flippant attitude toward her?
(a) She falls into his arms crying.
(b) She calls him a blockhead.
(c) She storms out of the room.
(d) She slaps him.
13. Why can't Hastings explain the problem of giving the jewels to Mrs. Hardcastle?
(a) Marlow will be angry that Hastings did not tell him what was in the casket.
(b) He has to tell Constance first.
(c) Marlow will do something violent if he finds out what he did.
(d) Marlow still doesn't know they are in Hardcastle's house.
14. When Hastings accuses Marlow of planning to rob the barmaid of her honor, what does Marlow reply?
(a) There is nothing in this house I do not intend to pay for.
(b) He will marry her if she gets pregnant.
(c) You can't rob something that is freely given.
(d) Pshaw, you know barmaids don't worry about honor.
15. Where is Hastings waiting for Tony?
(a) At the Three Pigeons.
(b) In the back of the garden.
(c) In front of the house.
(d) In his room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marlow insist the house is his?
2. Who tells Kate that Marlow thinks the house is an inn?
3. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
4. How many times does Marlow insist he had an interview with Kate?
5. What does the maid tell Kate that Marlow thinks.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)