|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
(a) He tells her to go back to the horsepond and wait for him.
(b) He tells her a highwayman is coming and she should hide in the thicket.
(c) He tells her to hide and he will stand guard.
(d) He tells her there are a gang of thieves headed their way.
2. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
(a) By telling him she hears the servant bell ringing for her.
(b) By saying she will scream if he tries to touch her.
(c) By saying that she sees Miss Hardcastle coming.
(d) By telling him how she thinks he acted with Miss Hardcastle exactly like it happened.
3. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
(a) A poor relation working for Mr. Hardcastle.
(b) The house barmaid.
(c) Tony Lumpkin's cousin.
(d) Mrs. Hardcastle's personal servant.
4. What does Marlow now fear?
(a) That his father will disinherit him.
(b) That Kate will not show him her embroidery.
(c) That now he will be forced to marry Miss Hardcastle.
(d) That he will be drawn in characature and made fun of.
5. Who puts Marlow straight about the house?
(a) Miss Hardcastle.
6. What is in the letter?
(a) A bill for Tony's gambling debts.
(b) A court summons in a murder case.
(c) A message from Hastings about the elopement.
(d) A message about finding the jewels again.
7. How many times does Marlow insist he had an interview with Kate?
(a) Three or four.
(b) Only two.
8. What keeps Marlow from leaving Liberty Hall?
(a) An axle is broken on the carriage.
(b) He is smitten with the barmaid, still not knowing it is Kate.
(c) The horses are not rested enough.
(d) There comes a sudden downpour.
9. What does Sir Charles say will happen if what Kate has said turns out to be true?
(a) He will allow Hardcastle to chastize his son.
(b) He will confront his son with a pistol.
(c) All his happiness with his son shall come to an end.
(d) He will send his son to an asylum.
10. What does Mrs. Hardcastle think when she catches Tony and Constance together?
(a) That they are in love with each other.
(b) That they are playing games with her.
(c) That they need to be separated.
(d) That they are only after the jewels.
11. What does Kate convince her father to do?
(a) Invite Marlow to return to the house as often as he likes.
(b) Give her time to prove that Marlow really is a modest gentleman.
(c) Let her have her fun with Marlow before telling him who she is.
(d) Help her make Marlow make a fool of himself.
12. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
(a) About forty miles from home in a dangerous place for robbers.
(b) About twenty miles from their house where the road made a hard turn they had missed.
(c) He tells her he has no idea where they are because things happened so fast.
(d) Just on the outskirts of London but they need help.
13. What does the maid question about Kate's plan?
(a) Whether Constance will go along with the sceme.
(b) Whether she can act the part of a barmaid.
(c) Whether Kate can get her father to agree to her plan.
(d) Whether Marlow will stay in the house.
14. Who tells Kate that Marlow thinks the house is an inn?
(b) Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) The maid.
15. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
(a) She snatches the letter away and pretends to read.
(b) She calls Mrs. Hardcastle mother and says she should help her.
(c) She faints.
(d) She says that she hears Mr. Hardcastle coming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate say to herself about Marlow.
2. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
3. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
4. How is Hastings shocked by Marlow?
5. What has Tony arranged for Hastings and Constance?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)