|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
(a) She says that she hears Mr. Hardcastle coming.
(b) She snatches the letter away and pretends to read.
(c) She calls Mrs. Hardcastle mother and says she should help her.
(d) She faints.
2. What is Constance resolved to do at this point?
(a) Appeal to the Bishop of Canterbury.
(b) Appeal to Mr. Hardcastle.
(c) Take Mrs. Hardcastle to court.
(d) Appeal to Mrs. Hardcastle's mother instincts.
3. What does Marlow say that Kate overhears?
(a) That Miss Hardcastle is too grave and sentimental for him.
(b) That Miss Hardcastle wears ridiculous clothes.
(c) That Miss Hardcastle hides her face under a bonnet.
(d) That Miss Hardcastle talks too much.
4. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
(a) The house barmaid.
(b) Mrs. Hardcastle's personal servant.
(c) A poor relation working for Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) Tony Lumpkin's cousin.
5. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
(a) He says the servants are impossible.
(b) He says he cannot find Hastings.
(c) He says he cannot get any repose in the house.
(d) He says the innkeeper is rude.
6. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
(a) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance have returned.
(b) That a maid dressed in Constance's clothes is in the carriage with Mrs. Hardcastle.
(c) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance are thirty miles away already.
(d) That the post carriage broke down about a mile from the house.
7. What does Mrs. Hardcastle think when she catches Tony and Constance together?
(a) That they need to be separated.
(b) That they are only after the jewels.
(c) That they are playing games with her.
(d) That they are in love with each other.
8. Why are Hardcastle and Sir Charles amazed at Marlow's quick departure?
(a) What he says does not match up with what Kate told her father.
(b) They do not understand what he says about Kate.
(c) They think he is too sensitive to the joke that was played on him.
(d) They cannot believe young Marlow actually saw Kate.
9. What does Kate say to herself about Marlow.
(a) That her father will not believe his story.
(b) That he must leave at once.
(c) That he is worse than she thought.
(d) That he was the one she had stooped to conquer.
10. What keeps Marlow from leaving Liberty Hall?
(a) An axle is broken on the carriage.
(b) The horses are not rested enough.
(c) There comes a sudden downpour.
(d) He is smitten with the barmaid, still not knowing it is Kate.
11. Why is Marlow so sure that Kate will surrender herself to him?
(a) She invited him up to see her embroidery which he takes as a sexual meaning.
(b) Her eyes tell him that she is interested in him.
(c) She is toying with him by not allowing him to kiss her.
(d) She sent him a note to meet her later.
12. When Hardcastle runs into Marlow, why is he upset?
(a) Marlow's servants are chasing Hardcastle's servant girls.
(b) Marlow's servants are getting drunk in Hardcastle's wine cellar.
(c) Marlow has not paid his room rent.
(d) Marlows servants are causing fights in the servants' quarters.
13. Where is Hastings waiting for Tony?
(a) At the Three Pigeons.
(b) In his room.
(c) In the back of the garden.
(d) In front of the house.
14. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
(a) That he wants to meet Kate.
(b) That he cannot believe reports about his son.
(c) That he is coming to Hardcastle's house.
(d) That he is too busy to come to Liberty Hall.
15. How many times does Marlow insist he had an interview with Kate?
(a) Three or four.
(d) Only two.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony say to Constance about the jewels now back with his mother.
2. What does Mrs. Hardcastle not recognize as Tony and Constance banter back and forth?
3. What is in the letter?
4. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
5. Why does Hastings say they must hurry if they plan to elope?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)