|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hardcastle promise to give Constance right away?
(a) A trip to her aunt's house in London.
(b) Her garnets.
(c) A wedding dress.
(d) The jewels.
2. Who enters with a letter for Tony?
(d) Mr. Hardcastle.
3. What has Tony arranged for Hastings and Constance?
(a) Disguises to make their getaway.
(b) A pair of fast horses.
(c) The key to his mother's bureau.
(d) A wedding trip to Paris.
4. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
(b) Losing Constance to Tony.
(c) Waiting three years before they can marry.
(d) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
5. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
(a) That he will have a heart attack and die.
(b) That he will be furious with Tony and Hastings.
(c) That he will laugh Marlow out of his resolve to leave.
(d) That he won't believe a word of it.
6. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
(a) That he wants to meet Kate.
(b) That he is coming to Hardcastle's house.
(c) That he is too busy to come to Liberty Hall.
(d) That he cannot believe reports about his son.
7. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
(a) By telling him she hears the servant bell ringing for her.
(b) By telling him how she thinks he acted with Miss Hardcastle exactly like it happened.
(c) By saying that she sees Miss Hardcastle coming.
(d) By saying she will scream if he tries to touch her.
8. How does Mrs. Hardcastle show her blind love of her son, Tony?
(a) She gives him a fortune.
(b) She orders a painting done of him.
(c) She says he could charm the birds from the trees.
(d) She buys him the latest fashion clothes.
9. What is Constance resolved to do at this point?
(a) Appeal to the Bishop of Canterbury.
(b) Appeal to Mrs. Hardcastle's mother instincts.
(c) Take Mrs. Hardcastle to court.
(d) Appeal to Mr. Hardcastle.
10. Why can't Hastings explain the problem of giving the jewels to Mrs. Hardcastle?
(a) He has to tell Constance first.
(b) Marlow will be angry that Hastings did not tell him what was in the casket.
(c) Marlow will do something violent if he finds out what he did.
(d) Marlow still doesn't know they are in Hardcastle's house.
11. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
(a) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance have returned.
(b) That the post carriage broke down about a mile from the house.
(c) That a maid dressed in Constance's clothes is in the carriage with Mrs. Hardcastle.
(d) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance are thirty miles away already.
12. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
(a) That the Hardcastle servant girls where getting them drunk for sport.
(b) That Sir Charles always allowd them to get drunk at an inn.
(c) That the barmaid gave them the keys to the cellar.
(d) That Marlow ordered his servants to drink.
13. What does Hardcastle tell Kate he plans to do?
(a) Have Diggory watch Marlow's every move.
(b) Send for Sir Charles Marlow to come.
(c) Challenge Marlow to a duel.
(d) Send Marlow back to his father.
14. Why are Hardcastle and Sir Charles amazed at Marlow's quick departure?
(a) They cannot believe young Marlow actually saw Kate.
(b) What he says does not match up with what Kate told her father.
(c) They do not understand what he says about Kate.
(d) They think he is too sensitive to the joke that was played on him.
15. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
(a) He tells her he has no idea where they are because things happened so fast.
(b) About twenty miles from their house where the road made a hard turn they had missed.
(c) About forty miles from home in a dangerous place for robbers.
(d) Just on the outskirts of London but they need help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who puts Marlow straight about the house?
2. What does Sir Charles say will happen if what Kate has said turns out to be true?
3. When Hastings accuses Marlow of planning to rob the barmaid of her honor, what does Marlow reply?
4. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
5. What does Marlow do in front of his father?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)