|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlow tell Hardcastle about his servants.
(a) They are just playing drunk for some fun.
(b) He will discipline them harshly.
(c) They are under his orders to drink as much as they can.
(d) They are his father's servants and he cannot control them.
2. How does Mrs. Hardcastle show her blind love of her son, Tony?
(a) She says he could charm the birds from the trees.
(b) She buys him the latest fashion clothes.
(c) She orders a painting done of him.
(d) She gives him a fortune.
3. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
(a) Excited and jumping with joy.
(b) Weary, booted, and splattered with mud.
(c) Angry and covered with straw.
(d) Confused and unhappy.
4. What is Tony's problem with the letter?
(a) He doesn't have his glasses.
(b) It is too dark in the room.
(c) He cannot read handwriting.
(d) He doesn't read French.
5. What does the maid question about Kate's plan?
(a) Whether she can act the part of a barmaid.
(b) Whether Marlow will stay in the house.
(c) Whether Kate can get her father to agree to her plan.
(d) Whether Constance will go along with the sceme.
6. What does Kate propose that her father and Sir Charles do?
(a) Threaten Marlow with a whip if he does not tell the truth.
(b) Hide behind a screen while she meets with Marlow.
(c) Insist on a meeting with the four of them.
(d) Talk to her maid who overheard everything.
7. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
(a) That he is too busy to come to Liberty Hall.
(b) That he is coming to Hardcastle's house.
(c) That he cannot believe reports about his son.
(d) That he wants to meet Kate.
8. Why does Mr. Hardcastle not go back into the house?
(a) He thinks there is someone with a gun in the thicket.
(b) He is sure he heard two voices and wants to know who else is there.
(c) He wants to find out how Tony got so muddy.
(d) He hasn't finished his walk.
9. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
(a) He says he cannot get any repose in the house.
(b) He says the innkeeper is rude.
(c) He says he cannot find Hastings.
(d) He says the servants are impossible.
10. Who puts Marlow straight about the house?
(d) Miss Hardcastle.
11. What does Hardcastle say that girls like?
(a) To be played with and rumpled a little, too.
(b) To be offered expensive jewels.
(c) To think that they are tormenting a man.
(d) To be put in their place.
12. Why does Marlow insist the house is his?
(a) He thinks the real owner will put Hardcastle out.
(b) He thinks he has bought the house.
(c) He still thinks it is an inn and that he is paying for everything.
(d) He thinks the house belongs to his father.
13. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
(a) Suggesting he has been flirting with the barmaid.
(b) Saying that Sir Charles has already committed him to marry Kate.
(c) Insisting that he knows what has passed between him and Kate.
(d) Insisting that he pay for the wine his servants drank.
14. What does Marlow now fear?
(a) That Kate will not show him her embroidery.
(b) That his father will disinherit him.
(c) That he will be drawn in characature and made fun of.
(d) That now he will be forced to marry Miss Hardcastle.
15. What does Hardcastle tell Kate he plans to do?
(a) Send for Sir Charles Marlow to come.
(b) Have Diggory watch Marlow's every move.
(c) Challenge Marlow to a duel.
(d) Send Marlow back to his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subterfuge do Constance and Tony carry out when Mrs. Hardcastle is in the room?
2. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
3. What does Tony suggest to Hastings?
4. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
5. What is in the letter?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)