|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Marlow so sure that Kate will surrender herself to him?
(a) She invited him up to see her embroidery which he takes as a sexual meaning.
(b) Her eyes tell him that she is interested in him.
(c) She is toying with him by not allowing him to kiss her.
(d) She sent him a note to meet her later.
2. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
(a) Suggesting he has been flirting with the barmaid.
(b) Saying that Sir Charles has already committed him to marry Kate.
(c) Insisting that he knows what has passed between him and Kate.
(d) Insisting that he pay for the wine his servants drank.
3. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
(a) He says the servants are impossible.
(b) He says he cannot get any repose in the house.
(c) He says he cannot find Hastings.
(d) He says the innkeeper is rude.
4. After Marlow runs from the room, how does Hardcastle confront his daughter.
(a) He laughs at the ridiculous scene he just witnessed.
(b) He asks what she is up to.
(c) He tells her to go put on her finery.
(d) He shames her for lying to him.
5. When Mrs. Hardcastle drags herself to where Tony is, what does he try to make her believe?
(a) It was her fault for insisting on leaving in the middle of the night.
(b) They are near London and should get help getting the carriage out of the pond.
(c) The horses were trained to find the way home.
(d) The road to London had washed out in a flash flood.
6. What keeps Marlow from leaving Liberty Hall?
(a) The horses are not rested enough.
(b) An axle is broken on the carriage.
(c) There comes a sudden downpour.
(d) He is smitten with the barmaid, still not knowing it is Kate.
7. What does Sir Charles say will happen if what Kate has said turns out to be true?
(a) He will send his son to an asylum.
(b) All his happiness with his son shall come to an end.
(c) He will allow Hardcastle to chastize his son.
(d) He will confront his son with a pistol.
8. What is Constance resolved to do at this point?
(a) Appeal to Mr. Hardcastle.
(b) Appeal to the Bishop of Canterbury.
(c) Appeal to Mrs. Hardcastle's mother instincts.
(d) Take Mrs. Hardcastle to court.
9. Why does Hastings say they must hurry if they plan to elope?
(a) Because Sir Charles knows Hastings and would say too much.
(b) Because young Marlow will discover his mistake and be angry.
(c) Because everyone will be watching closely when Sir Charles arrives.
(d) Because there will be guards when Sir Charles arrives.
10. What is Tony's problem with the letter?
(a) He doesn't have his glasses.
(b) He doesn't read French.
(c) He cannot read handwriting.
(d) It is too dark in the room.
11. What does Mrs. Hardcastle propose to do after she learns the truth about Constance and Hastings?
(a) She plans to take Constance to her Aunt Pedigree in London.
(b) She plans to lock Constance in her room until Hastings leaves.
(c) She plans to charge Hastings with stealing the jewels.
(d) She plans to call the vicar and have Constance and Tony marry immediately.
12. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
(a) That the post carriage broke down about a mile from the house.
(b) That a maid dressed in Constance's clothes is in the carriage with Mrs. Hardcastle.
(c) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance have returned.
(d) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance are thirty miles away already.
13. What does the maid question about Kate's plan?
(a) Whether Marlow will stay in the house.
(b) Whether Kate can get her father to agree to her plan.
(c) Whether she can act the part of a barmaid.
(d) Whether Constance will go along with the sceme.
14. What subterfuge do Constance and Tony carry out when Mrs. Hardcastle is in the room?
(a) They pretend to court one another.
(b) They act shy around each other.
(c) They pretend they are planning a wedding.
(d) They go to opposite sides of the room.
15. What does Mrs. Hardcastle think when she catches Tony and Constance together?
(a) That they are playing games with her.
(b) That they need to be separated.
(c) That they are only after the jewels.
(d) That they are in love with each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony suggest to Hastings?
2. How many times does Marlow insist he had an interview with Kate?
3. When Hardcastle cannot stand any more, what does he do?
4. Why are Hardcastle and Sir Charles amazed at Marlow's quick departure?
5. What seems to be the only solution for Constance and Hastings?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)