|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlow do in front of his father?
(a) Offer to pay for any damages done to Hardcastle's property.
(b) Asks Mr. Hardcastle's forgiveness one more time.
(c) Rant at the cruelty of his deception.
(d) Demand to see the barmaid.
2. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
(b) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
(c) Waiting three years before they can marry.
(d) Losing Constance to Tony.
3. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
(a) That the Hardcastle servant girls where getting them drunk for sport.
(b) That Sir Charles always allowd them to get drunk at an inn.
(c) That the barmaid gave them the keys to the cellar.
(d) That Marlow ordered his servants to drink.
4. How does Marlow say he saw Kate?
(a) He saw her as a simple-minded gold digger.
(b) He saw her only as a bonnet.
(c) He saw her as a witless girl.
(d) He saw her without emotion and parted without regret.
5. Why does Mr. Hardcastle not go back into the house?
(a) He wants to find out how Tony got so muddy.
(b) He hasn't finished his walk.
(c) He is sure he heard two voices and wants to know who else is there.
(d) He thinks there is someone with a gun in the thicket.
6. Who tells Kate that Marlow thinks the house is an inn?
(a) The maid.
(c) Mr. Hardcastle.
7. What subterfuge do Constance and Tony carry out when Mrs. Hardcastle is in the room?
(a) They pretend to court one another.
(b) They go to opposite sides of the room.
(c) They pretend they are planning a wedding.
(d) They act shy around each other.
8. What is Kate's response as Marlow moves closer to her?
(a) She asks if he is trying to guess her age the way they do horses.
(b) She asks if he is in need of glasses.
(c) She asks of he thinks she's wearing a mask.
(d) She runs behind a large chair.
9. When Sir Charles questions Kate, what does she say about his son's behavior toward her?
(a) She says that he talked like he would talk to a barmaid.
(b) She says he pressed her to elope with him.
(c) She says he stammered and stuttered and made eyes at her.
(d) She says he gave the standard courtship speech and professed his love.
10. What does Constance attempt to do?
(a) Pour water on the letter so that the ink runs.
(b) Get Mrs. Hardcastle away by telling her a story about Tony.
(c) Knock the letter into the fireplace.
(d) Get Tony to read the letter later.
11. Who enters while Kate is struggling to get her hand away from Marlow?
(a) Lady Betty Blackleg.
(b) Tony Lumpkin.
(c) Mr. Hardcastle.
12. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
(a) Just on the outskirts of London but they need help.
(b) About twenty miles from their house where the road made a hard turn they had missed.
(c) About forty miles from home in a dangerous place for robbers.
(d) He tells her he has no idea where they are because things happened so fast.
13. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
(a) Driven them around in circles for hours and returned home.
(b) Knocked them unconscious and brought them back.
(c) Tied them to a tree about twenty miles away.
(d) He put his mother out fifteen miles away and returned with Constance.
14. How does Miss Neville know who the letter is from?
(a) She snatches the letter from Tony's hand.
(b) She knows Hastings is going to write.
(c) She recognizes the handwriting.
(d) She reads the letter for Tony.
15. What does Mrs. Hardcastle discover when she goes to help Tony with the robber?
(a) There are three men jumping on Tony.
(b) It is Hastings and Constance trying to get away.
(c) Tony is fighting a bush.
(d) It is Mr. Hardcastle and not a robber at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hardcastle think when she catches Tony and Constance together?
2. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
3. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
4. What does Tony say to Constance about the jewels now back with his mother.
5. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)