|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
(a) Confused and unhappy.
(b) Excited and jumping with joy.
(c) Angry and covered with straw.
(d) Weary, booted, and splattered with mud.
2. What does Tony suggest to Hastings?
(a) Get his horses, go to the pond for Constance, and ride away.
(b) Go collect Constance and bring Mr. Hardcastle along.
(c) Go and bargain with Mrs. Hardcastle or you will leave her in the pond.
(d) Wait until Mrs. Hardcastle falls alseep from exhaustion and then get Constance.
3. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
(a) She says that they have met many times.
(b) She says that he proposed marriage and she turned him down.
(c) She says that they never met.
(d) She says that he insulted her.
4. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
(a) That he will have a heart attack and die.
(b) That he will laugh Marlow out of his resolve to leave.
(c) That he won't believe a word of it.
(d) That he will be furious with Tony and Hastings.
5. How does Marlow ask Kate for a kiss?
(a) He pulls her to him and tells her to close her eyes.
(b) He asks her to kiss him so he knows he's not dreaming.
(c) He asks her to kiss him for good luck when he meets Miss Hardcastle later.
(d) He talks about the nectar of her lips and he wants a taste.
6. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
(a) He tells her he has no idea where they are because things happened so fast.
(b) Just on the outskirts of London but they need help.
(c) About forty miles from home in a dangerous place for robbers.
(d) About twenty miles from their house where the road made a hard turn they had missed.
7. What is Kate's response as Marlow moves closer to her?
(a) She asks if he is in need of glasses.
(b) She runs behind a large chair.
(c) She asks of he thinks she's wearing a mask.
(d) She asks if he is trying to guess her age the way they do horses.
8. How does Marlow conspire to get closer to Kate?
(a) He asks her to dance with him.
(b) He moves in quickly when she looks away.
(c) He tries guessing her age and must come for a closer look.
(d) He pretends to trip on the carpet.
9. Tony thinks Constance has not read all of the letter, so what does he do?
(a) He gives it to his mother to finish reading.
(b) He has a temper tantrum.
(c) He sits down and tries to read it himself.
(d) He puts the letter in his pocket to read later.
10. After Marlow runs from the room, how does Hardcastle confront his daughter.
(a) He tells her to go put on her finery.
(b) He asks what she is up to.
(c) He laughs at the ridiculous scene he just witnessed.
(d) He shames her for lying to him.
11. When Hastings accuses Marlow of planning to rob the barmaid of her honor, what does Marlow reply?
(a) He will marry her if she gets pregnant.
(b) There is nothing in this house I do not intend to pay for.
(c) Pshaw, you know barmaids don't worry about honor.
(d) You can't rob something that is freely given.
12. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
(a) That the Hardcastle servant girls where getting them drunk for sport.
(b) That Sir Charles always allowd them to get drunk at an inn.
(c) That Marlow ordered his servants to drink.
(d) That the barmaid gave them the keys to the cellar.
13. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
(a) Knocked them unconscious and brought them back.
(b) He put his mother out fifteen miles away and returned with Constance.
(c) Tied them to a tree about twenty miles away.
(d) Driven them around in circles for hours and returned home.
14. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
(a) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance are thirty miles away already.
(b) That a maid dressed in Constance's clothes is in the carriage with Mrs. Hardcastle.
(c) That the post carriage broke down about a mile from the house.
(d) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance have returned.
15. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
(a) He says the servants are impossible.
(b) He says the innkeeper is rude.
(c) He says he cannot get any repose in the house.
(d) He says he cannot find Hastings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marlow insist the house is his?
2. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
3. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
4. Who enters with a letter for Tony?
5. What does Mrs. Hardcastle propose to do after she learns the truth about Constance and Hastings?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)