|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlow tell Hardcastle about his servants.
(a) They are his father's servants and he cannot control them.
(b) They are just playing drunk for some fun.
(c) They are under his orders to drink as much as they can.
(d) He will discipline them harshly.
2. What is Tony's problem with the letter?
(a) He cannot read handwriting.
(b) He doesn't read French.
(c) It is too dark in the room.
(d) He doesn't have his glasses.
3. What does Mrs. Hardcastle think when she catches Tony and Constance together?
(a) That they are in love with each other.
(b) That they are only after the jewels.
(c) That they are playing games with her.
(d) That they need to be separated.
4. What has Tony arranged for Hastings and Constance?
(a) The key to his mother's bureau.
(b) A wedding trip to Paris.
(c) Disguises to make their getaway.
(d) A pair of fast horses.
5. Who enters with a letter for Tony?
(a) Mr. Hardcastle.
6. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
(a) By telling him she hears the servant bell ringing for her.
(b) By saying she will scream if he tries to touch her.
(c) By saying that she sees Miss Hardcastle coming.
(d) By telling him how she thinks he acted with Miss Hardcastle exactly like it happened.
7. What does the maid tell Kate that Marlow thinks.
(a) He thinks Miss Neville is Kate.
(b) He thinks he is a fool for coming here.
(c) He thinks Kate is the barmaid.
(d) He thinks it is all a joke.
8. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
(a) He says he cannot get any repose in the house.
(b) He says the innkeeper is rude.
(c) He says he cannot find Hastings.
(d) He says the servants are impossible.
9. When Hardcastle cannot stand any more, what does he do?
(a) He gets drunk himself.
(b) He sends for the sheriff.
(c) He orders Marlow to leave his house.
(d) He challenges Marlow to a duel.
10. What does Marlow do with the jewels?
(a) He hides them under the bed.
(b) He puts them in his locked luggage.
(c) Not knowing what they are, he deposits them with Mrs. Hardcastle.
(d) He puts them in thleir carriage.
11. Where is Mr. Hardcastle while Mrs. Hardcastle is leaving with Constance?
(a) He is out looking for Kate.
(b) He is in the pantry eating a second breakfast.
(c) He is laughing with Sir Charles over the joke that was played on young Marlow.
(d) He is trying to find Marlow and put him at ease.
12. How is Hastings shocked by Marlow?
(a) He learns that Marlow is leaving Liberty Hall with the barmaid.
(b) He sees that Marlow has no intention of marrying Miss Hardcastle.
(c) Marlow tells him that the barmaid is waiting for him in his room.
(d) He finds out that Marlow sent the casket of jewels to the landlady.
13. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
(a) Tony Lumpkin's cousin.
(b) The house barmaid.
(c) A poor relation working for Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) Mrs. Hardcastle's personal servant.
14. Why does Mr. Hardcastle not go back into the house?
(a) He hasn't finished his walk.
(b) He thinks there is someone with a gun in the thicket.
(c) He wants to find out how Tony got so muddy.
(d) He is sure he heard two voices and wants to know who else is there.
15. Why is Marlow so sure that Kate will surrender herself to him?
(a) Her eyes tell him that she is interested in him.
(b) She sent him a note to meet her later.
(c) She is toying with him by not allowing him to kiss her.
(d) She invited him up to see her embroidery which he takes as a sexual meaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kate's response as Marlow moves closer to her?
2. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
3. What does Marlow do in front of his father?
4. What does Mrs. Hardcastle promise to give Constance right away?
5. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)