|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sir Charles say will happen if what Kate has said turns out to be true?
(a) He will allow Hardcastle to chastize his son.
(b) All his happiness with his son shall come to an end.
(c) He will send his son to an asylum.
(d) He will confront his son with a pistol.
2. What has Tony arranged for Hastings and Constance?
(a) A pair of fast horses.
(b) The key to his mother's bureau.
(c) A wedding trip to Paris.
(d) Disguises to make their getaway.
3. What subterfuge do Constance and Tony carry out when Mrs. Hardcastle is in the room?
(a) They go to opposite sides of the room.
(b) They pretend to court one another.
(c) They pretend they are planning a wedding.
(d) They act shy around each other.
4. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
(a) That he will be furious with Tony and Hastings.
(b) That he won't believe a word of it.
(c) That he will have a heart attack and die.
(d) That he will laugh Marlow out of his resolve to leave.
5. Why does Mr. Hardcastle not go back into the house?
(a) He is sure he heard two voices and wants to know who else is there.
(b) He hasn't finished his walk.
(c) He wants to find out how Tony got so muddy.
(d) He thinks there is someone with a gun in the thicket.
6. Who enters while Kate is struggling to get her hand away from Marlow?
(a) Lady Betty Blackleg.
(c) Tony Lumpkin.
(d) Mr. Hardcastle.
7. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
(a) Mrs. Hardcastle.
(c) Mr. Hardcastle.
8. When Sir Charles questions Kate, what does she say about his son's behavior toward her?
(a) She says he stammered and stuttered and made eyes at her.
(b) She says he gave the standard courtship speech and professed his love.
(c) She says that he talked like he would talk to a barmaid.
(d) She says he pressed her to elope with him.
9. After Marlow runs from the room, how does Hardcastle confront his daughter.
(a) He laughs at the ridiculous scene he just witnessed.
(b) He tells her to go put on her finery.
(c) He asks what she is up to.
(d) He shames her for lying to him.
10. What does Mrs. Hardcastle not recognize as Tony and Constance banter back and forth?
(a) How nervous they are around her.
(b) The sarcasm in their declarations of love for each other.
(c) How their faces reveal their true love.
(d) How they do not seem to listen to one another.
11. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
(a) He becomes quite flirtatious.
(b) He orders a sandwich.
(c) He starts stammering again.
(d) He pauses trying to remember who she is.
12. What does Kate say to herself about Marlow.
(a) That he was the one she had stooped to conquer.
(b) That he is worse than she thought.
(c) That he must leave at once.
(d) That her father will not believe his story.
13. Where is Mr. Hardcastle while Mrs. Hardcastle is leaving with Constance?
(a) He is trying to find Marlow and put him at ease.
(b) He is out looking for Kate.
(c) He is laughing with Sir Charles over the joke that was played on young Marlow.
(d) He is in the pantry eating a second breakfast.
14. Who puts Marlow straight about the house?
(b) Miss Hardcastle.
15. What seems to be the only solution for Constance and Hastings?
(a) He will have to kill Mrs. Hardcastle.
(b) He will have to steal the jewels and kidnap Constance.
(c) They will have to forget about each other.
(d) He will have to wait for her for three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
2. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
3. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react to Tony's flippant attitude toward her?
4. When Hardcastle runs into Marlow, why is he upset?
5. What does Jeremy, Marlow's servant, verify?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)