|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters while Kate is struggling to get her hand away from Marlow?
(a) Mr. Hardcastle.
(b) Lady Betty Blackleg.
(c) Tony Lumpkin.
2. What does Hardcastle tell Kate he plans to do?
(a) Have Diggory watch Marlow's every move.
(b) Send Marlow back to his father.
(c) Challenge Marlow to a duel.
(d) Send for Sir Charles Marlow to come.
3. What does Constance attempt to do?
(a) Knock the letter into the fireplace.
(b) Get Tony to read the letter later.
(c) Get Mrs. Hardcastle away by telling her a story about Tony.
(d) Pour water on the letter so that the ink runs.
4. What is in the letter?
(a) A message from Hastings about the elopement.
(b) A message about finding the jewels again.
(c) A court summons in a murder case.
(d) A bill for Tony's gambling debts.
5. What does Mrs. Hardcastle think when she catches Tony and Constance together?
(a) That they need to be separated.
(b) That they are playing games with her.
(c) That they are only after the jewels.
(d) That they are in love with each other.
6. Tony thinks Constance has not read all of the letter, so what does he do?
(a) He puts the letter in his pocket to read later.
(b) He has a temper tantrum.
(c) He gives it to his mother to finish reading.
(d) He sits down and tries to read it himself.
7. Who enters with a letter for Tony?
(d) Mr. Hardcastle.
8. How does Miss Neville know who the letter is from?
(a) She snatches the letter from Tony's hand.
(b) She recognizes the handwriting.
(c) She knows Hastings is going to write.
(d) She reads the letter for Tony.
9. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
(a) By saying that she sees Miss Hardcastle coming.
(b) By telling him she hears the servant bell ringing for her.
(c) By saying she will scream if he tries to touch her.
(d) By telling him how she thinks he acted with Miss Hardcastle exactly like it happened.
10. How many times does Marlow insist he had an interview with Kate?
(b) Three or four.
(c) Only two.
11. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
(b) Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) Mrs. Hardcastle.
12. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
(a) She says that he insulted her.
(b) She says that they never met.
(c) She says that he proposed marriage and she turned him down.
(d) She says that they have met many times.
13. What does the maid question about Kate's plan?
(a) Whether Constance will go along with the sceme.
(b) Whether Marlow will stay in the house.
(c) Whether she can act the part of a barmaid.
(d) Whether Kate can get her father to agree to her plan.
14. What is Constance resolved to do at this point?
(a) Appeal to Mr. Hardcastle.
(b) Appeal to the Bishop of Canterbury.
(c) Take Mrs. Hardcastle to court.
(d) Appeal to Mrs. Hardcastle's mother instincts.
15. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
(a) Driven them around in circles for hours and returned home.
(b) Tied them to a tree about twenty miles away.
(c) He put his mother out fifteen miles away and returned with Constance.
(d) Knocked them unconscious and brought them back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes up with a plan to save the day?
2. What does Marlow say that Kate overhears?
3. What does Marlow tell Kate the barmaid his name is?
4. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
5. What does Mrs. Hardcastle promise to give Constance right away?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)