|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
(a) He tells her a highwayman is coming and she should hide in the thicket.
(b) He tells her to hide and he will stand guard.
(c) He tells her there are a gang of thieves headed their way.
(d) He tells her to go back to the horsepond and wait for him.
2. What does Kate propose that her father and Sir Charles do?
(a) Insist on a meeting with the four of them.
(b) Hide behind a screen while she meets with Marlow.
(c) Talk to her maid who overheard everything.
(d) Threaten Marlow with a whip if he does not tell the truth.
3. How many times does Marlow insist he had an interview with Kate?
(b) Only two.
(d) Three or four.
4. How is Hastings shocked by Marlow?
(a) He sees that Marlow has no intention of marrying Miss Hardcastle.
(b) He learns that Marlow is leaving Liberty Hall with the barmaid.
(c) He finds out that Marlow sent the casket of jewels to the landlady.
(d) Marlow tells him that the barmaid is waiting for him in his room.
5. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
(a) That he wants to meet Kate.
(b) That he cannot believe reports about his son.
(c) That he is too busy to come to Liberty Hall.
(d) That he is coming to Hardcastle's house.
6. Who enters with a letter for Tony?
(a) Mr. Hardcastle.
7. What does Marlow tell Hardcastle about his servants.
(a) They are just playing drunk for some fun.
(b) He will discipline them harshly.
(c) They are his father's servants and he cannot control them.
(d) They are under his orders to drink as much as they can.
8. When Hardcastle cannot stand any more, what does he do?
(a) He challenges Marlow to a duel.
(b) He orders Marlow to leave his house.
(c) He sends for the sheriff.
(d) He gets drunk himself.
9. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
(b) Waiting three years before they can marry.
(c) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
(d) Losing Constance to Tony.
10. What subterfuge do Constance and Tony carry out when Mrs. Hardcastle is in the room?
(a) They pretend to court one another.
(b) They go to opposite sides of the room.
(c) They pretend they are planning a wedding.
(d) They act shy around each other.
11. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react to Tony's flippant attitude toward her?
(a) She falls into his arms crying.
(b) She calls him a blockhead.
(c) She storms out of the room.
(d) She slaps him.
12. What does Kate say to herself about Marlow.
(a) That he is worse than she thought.
(b) That he must leave at once.
(c) That her father will not believe his story.
(d) That he was the one she had stooped to conquer.
13. How does Marlow ask Kate for a kiss?
(a) He asks her to kiss him so he knows he's not dreaming.
(b) He talks about the nectar of her lips and he wants a taste.
(c) He pulls her to him and tells her to close her eyes.
(d) He asks her to kiss him for good luck when he meets Miss Hardcastle later.
14. After Marlow runs from the room, how does Hardcastle confront his daughter.
(a) He shames her for lying to him.
(b) He asks what she is up to.
(c) He tells her to go put on her finery.
(d) He laughs at the ridiculous scene he just witnessed.
15. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
(a) By saying that she sees Miss Hardcastle coming.
(b) By saying she will scream if he tries to touch her.
(c) By telling him she hears the servant bell ringing for her.
(d) By telling him how she thinks he acted with Miss Hardcastle exactly like it happened.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kate's plan for Marlow?
2. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
3. What seems to be the only solution for Constance and Hastings?
4. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
5. Who tells Kate that Marlow thinks the house is an inn?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)