|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mr. Hardcastle while Mrs. Hardcastle is leaving with Constance?
(a) He is laughing with Sir Charles over the joke that was played on young Marlow.
(b) He is trying to find Marlow and put him at ease.
(c) He is in the pantry eating a second breakfast.
(d) He is out looking for Kate.
2. What does Mrs. Hardcastle propose to do after she learns the truth about Constance and Hastings?
(a) She plans to take Constance to her Aunt Pedigree in London.
(b) She plans to call the vicar and have Constance and Tony marry immediately.
(c) She plans to lock Constance in her room until Hastings leaves.
(d) She plans to charge Hastings with stealing the jewels.
3. What does Marlow say that Kate overhears?
(a) That Miss Hardcastle wears ridiculous clothes.
(b) That Miss Hardcastle is too grave and sentimental for him.
(c) That Miss Hardcastle hides her face under a bonnet.
(d) That Miss Hardcastle talks too much.
4. What does Constance attempt to do?
(a) Get Tony to read the letter later.
(b) Knock the letter into the fireplace.
(c) Pour water on the letter so that the ink runs.
(d) Get Mrs. Hardcastle away by telling her a story about Tony.
5. What subterfuge do Constance and Tony carry out when Mrs. Hardcastle is in the room?
(a) They pretend they are planning a wedding.
(b) They pretend to court one another.
(c) They act shy around each other.
(d) They go to opposite sides of the room.
6. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
(a) She snatches the letter away and pretends to read.
(b) She says that she hears Mr. Hardcastle coming.
(c) She faints.
(d) She calls Mrs. Hardcastle mother and says she should help her.
7. What does Kate convince her father to do?
(a) Help her make Marlow make a fool of himself.
(b) Give her time to prove that Marlow really is a modest gentleman.
(c) Let her have her fun with Marlow before telling him who she is.
(d) Invite Marlow to return to the house as often as he likes.
8. What does Kate say to herself about Marlow.
(a) That her father will not believe his story.
(b) That he was the one she had stooped to conquer.
(c) That he must leave at once.
(d) That he is worse than she thought.
9. What keeps Marlow from leaving Liberty Hall?
(a) The horses are not rested enough.
(b) An axle is broken on the carriage.
(c) There comes a sudden downpour.
(d) He is smitten with the barmaid, still not knowing it is Kate.
10. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
(a) She says that they have met many times.
(b) She says that he insulted her.
(c) She says that they never met.
(d) She says that he proposed marriage and she turned him down.
11. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
(a) About forty miles from home in a dangerous place for robbers.
(b) About twenty miles from their house where the road made a hard turn they had missed.
(c) Just on the outskirts of London but they need help.
(d) He tells her he has no idea where they are because things happened so fast.
12. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react to Tony's flippant attitude toward her?
(a) She slaps him.
(b) She calls him a blockhead.
(c) She falls into his arms crying.
(d) She storms out of the room.
13. Why are Hardcastle and Sir Charles amazed at Marlow's quick departure?
(a) They think he is too sensitive to the joke that was played on him.
(b) They do not understand what he says about Kate.
(c) They cannot believe young Marlow actually saw Kate.
(d) What he says does not match up with what Kate told her father.
14. What does Kate propose that her father and Sir Charles do?
(a) Hide behind a screen while she meets with Marlow.
(b) Threaten Marlow with a whip if he does not tell the truth.
(c) Insist on a meeting with the four of them.
(d) Talk to her maid who overheard everything.
15. Who tells Kate that Marlow thinks the house is an inn?
(a) Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) The maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters while Kate is struggling to get her hand away from Marlow?
2. What does Marlow do in front of his father?
3. What is Kate's response as Marlow moves closer to her?
4. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
5. What time-consuming action had Tony taken on the ride?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)