|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
(a) He tells her there are a gang of thieves headed their way.
(b) He tells her a highwayman is coming and she should hide in the thicket.
(c) He tells her to hide and he will stand guard.
(d) He tells her to go back to the horsepond and wait for him.
2. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
(a) She says that he proposed marriage and she turned him down.
(b) She says that they have met many times.
(c) She says that they never met.
(d) She says that he insulted her.
3. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
(a) She says that she hears Mr. Hardcastle coming.
(b) She calls Mrs. Hardcastle mother and says she should help her.
(c) She snatches the letter away and pretends to read.
(d) She faints.
4. What time-consuming action had Tony taken on the ride?
(a) Tied up Mrs. Hardcastle and put a gag in her mouth.
(b) Getting stuck in ponds ending up in the horsepond behind the garden.
(c) Stopped frequently to ask directions.
(d) Slowed the horses down to a walk.
5. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
(a) Excited and jumping with joy.
(b) Confused and unhappy.
(c) Weary, booted, and splattered with mud.
(d) Angry and covered with straw.
6. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
(a) He tells her he has no idea where they are because things happened so fast.
(b) Just on the outskirts of London but they need help.
(c) About twenty miles from their house where the road made a hard turn they had missed.
(d) About forty miles from home in a dangerous place for robbers.
7. Who puts Marlow straight about the house?
(b) Miss Hardcastle.
8. When Hardcastle runs into Marlow, why is he upset?
(a) Marlows servants are causing fights in the servants' quarters.
(b) Marlow's servants are getting drunk in Hardcastle's wine cellar.
(c) Marlow has not paid his room rent.
(d) Marlow's servants are chasing Hardcastle's servant girls.
9. After Marlow runs from the room, how does Hardcastle confront his daughter.
(a) He shames her for lying to him.
(b) He asks what she is up to.
(c) He laughs at the ridiculous scene he just witnessed.
(d) He tells her to go put on her finery.
10. What does Tony suggest to Hastings?
(a) Go collect Constance and bring Mr. Hardcastle along.
(b) Go and bargain with Mrs. Hardcastle or you will leave her in the pond.
(c) Wait until Mrs. Hardcastle falls alseep from exhaustion and then get Constance.
(d) Get his horses, go to the pond for Constance, and ride away.
11. What does Mrs. Hardcastle discover when she goes to help Tony with the robber?
(a) It is Mr. Hardcastle and not a robber at all.
(b) There are three men jumping on Tony.
(c) Tony is fighting a bush.
(d) It is Hastings and Constance trying to get away.
12. What does the maid question about Kate's plan?
(a) Whether Kate can get her father to agree to her plan.
(b) Whether Constance will go along with the sceme.
(c) Whether she can act the part of a barmaid.
(d) Whether Marlow will stay in the house.
13. When Mrs. Hardcastle drags herself to where Tony is, what does he try to make her believe?
(a) They are near London and should get help getting the carriage out of the pond.
(b) It was her fault for insisting on leaving in the middle of the night.
(c) The road to London had washed out in a flash flood.
(d) The horses were trained to find the way home.
14. What does Kate convince her father to do?
(a) Give her time to prove that Marlow really is a modest gentleman.
(b) Invite Marlow to return to the house as often as he likes.
(c) Help her make Marlow make a fool of himself.
(d) Let her have her fun with Marlow before telling him who she is.
15. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
(a) Driven them around in circles for hours and returned home.
(b) Tied them to a tree about twenty miles away.
(c) He put his mother out fifteen miles away and returned with Constance.
(d) Knocked them unconscious and brought them back.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marlow conspire to get closer to Kate?
2. What does Tony say to Constance about the jewels now back with his mother.
3. How does Miss Neville know who the letter is from?
4. When Sir Charles questions Kate, what does she say about his son's behavior toward her?
5. What does the maid tell Kate that Marlow thinks.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)