|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
(a) She says that he proposed marriage and she turned him down.
(b) She says that he insulted her.
(c) She says that they never met.
(d) She says that they have met many times.
2. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
(a) He orders a sandwich.
(b) He becomes quite flirtatious.
(c) He pauses trying to remember who she is.
(d) He starts stammering again.
3. Why does Hastings say they must hurry if they plan to elope?
(a) Because Sir Charles knows Hastings and would say too much.
(b) Because young Marlow will discover his mistake and be angry.
(c) Because everyone will be watching closely when Sir Charles arrives.
(d) Because there will be guards when Sir Charles arrives.
4. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
(b) Losing Constance to Tony.
(c) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
(d) Waiting three years before they can marry.
5. How does Marlow say he saw Kate?
(a) He saw her as a simple-minded gold digger.
(b) He saw her only as a bonnet.
(c) He saw her as a witless girl.
(d) He saw her without emotion and parted without regret.
6. Why can't Hastings explain the problem of giving the jewels to Mrs. Hardcastle?
(a) Marlow will be angry that Hastings did not tell him what was in the casket.
(b) Marlow will do something violent if he finds out what he did.
(c) Marlow still doesn't know they are in Hardcastle's house.
(d) He has to tell Constance first.
7. Where does Tony tell his mother that they are located?
(a) About twenty miles from their house where the road made a hard turn they had missed.
(b) He tells her he has no idea where they are because things happened so fast.
(c) Just on the outskirts of London but they need help.
(d) About forty miles from home in a dangerous place for robbers.
8. What keeps Marlow from leaving Liberty Hall?
(a) The horses are not rested enough.
(b) An axle is broken on the carriage.
(c) There comes a sudden downpour.
(d) He is smitten with the barmaid, still not knowing it is Kate.
9. Why does Marlow insist the house is his?
(a) He thinks the real owner will put Hardcastle out.
(b) He still thinks it is an inn and that he is paying for everything.
(c) He thinks the house belongs to his father.
(d) He thinks he has bought the house.
10. What does the maid tell Kate that Marlow thinks.
(a) He thinks Miss Neville is Kate.
(b) He thinks it is all a joke.
(c) He thinks he is a fool for coming here.
(d) He thinks Kate is the barmaid.
11. What does Kate say to herself about Marlow.
(a) That her father will not believe his story.
(b) That he was the one she had stooped to conquer.
(c) That he must leave at once.
(d) That he is worse than she thought.
12. Tony thinks Constance has not read all of the letter, so what does he do?
(a) He sits down and tries to read it himself.
(b) He has a temper tantrum.
(c) He gives it to his mother to finish reading.
(d) He puts the letter in his pocket to read later.
13. What does Mrs. Hardcastle promise to give Constance right away?
(a) A wedding dress.
(b) The jewels.
(c) Her garnets.
(d) A trip to her aunt's house in London.
14. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
(a) That he will have a heart attack and die.
(b) That he will laugh Marlow out of his resolve to leave.
(c) That he will be furious with Tony and Hastings.
(d) That he won't believe a word of it.
15. What does Mrs. Hardcastle think when she catches Tony and Constance together?
(a) That they are only after the jewels.
(b) That they are in love with each other.
(c) That they are playing games with her.
(d) That they need to be separated.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
2. What does Marlow do with the jewels?
3. What does Tony say to Constance about the jewels now back with his mother.
4. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
5. What does Kate convince her father to do?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)