|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
(a) By saying that she sees Miss Hardcastle coming.
(b) By telling him how she thinks he acted with Miss Hardcastle exactly like it happened.
(c) By telling him she hears the servant bell ringing for her.
(d) By saying she will scream if he tries to touch her.
2. Who enters with a letter for Tony?
(b) Mr. Hardcastle.
3. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
(a) Insisting that he knows what has passed between him and Kate.
(b) Saying that Sir Charles has already committed him to marry Kate.
(c) Suggesting he has been flirting with the barmaid.
(d) Insisting that he pay for the wine his servants drank.
4. What is Kate's response as Marlow moves closer to her?
(a) She asks if he is in need of glasses.
(b) She runs behind a large chair.
(c) She asks if he is trying to guess her age the way they do horses.
(d) She asks of he thinks she's wearing a mask.
5. Who puts Marlow straight about the house?
(d) Miss Hardcastle.
6. Why does Hastings say they must hurry if they plan to elope?
(a) Because there will be guards when Sir Charles arrives.
(b) Because everyone will be watching closely when Sir Charles arrives.
(c) Because Sir Charles knows Hastings and would say too much.
(d) Because young Marlow will discover his mistake and be angry.
7. How does Marlow say he saw Kate?
(a) He saw her as a witless girl.
(b) He saw her without emotion and parted without regret.
(c) He saw her as a simple-minded gold digger.
(d) He saw her only as a bonnet.
8. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react to Tony's flippant attitude toward her?
(a) She falls into his arms crying.
(b) She calls him a blockhead.
(c) She storms out of the room.
(d) She slaps him.
9. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
(a) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance are thirty miles away already.
(b) That the post carriage broke down about a mile from the house.
(c) That a maid dressed in Constance's clothes is in the carriage with Mrs. Hardcastle.
(d) That Mrs. Hardcastle and Constance have returned.
10. When Sir Charles questions Kate, what does she say about his son's behavior toward her?
(a) She says he stammered and stuttered and made eyes at her.
(b) She says he gave the standard courtship speech and professed his love.
(c) She says he pressed her to elope with him.
(d) She says that he talked like he would talk to a barmaid.
11. What does Constance attempt to do?
(a) Pour water on the letter so that the ink runs.
(b) Knock the letter into the fireplace.
(c) Get Mrs. Hardcastle away by telling her a story about Tony.
(d) Get Tony to read the letter later.
12. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
(a) A poor relation working for Mr. Hardcastle.
(b) Tony Lumpkin's cousin.
(c) The house barmaid.
(d) Mrs. Hardcastle's personal servant.
13. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
(a) She calls Mrs. Hardcastle mother and says she should help her.
(b) She says that she hears Mr. Hardcastle coming.
(c) She snatches the letter away and pretends to read.
(d) She faints.
14. What does Mrs. Hardcastle not recognize as Tony and Constance banter back and forth?
(a) How nervous they are around her.
(b) How their faces reveal their true love.
(c) How they do not seem to listen to one another.
(d) The sarcasm in their declarations of love for each other.
15. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
(a) He becomes quite flirtatious.
(b) He pauses trying to remember who she is.
(c) He orders a sandwich.
(d) He starts stammering again.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marlow ask Kate for a kiss?
2. How is Hastings shocked by Marlow?
3. What does Tony do when his mother is so upset?
4. What is Tony's problem with the letter?
5. When Mrs. Hardcastle drags herself to where Tony is, what does he try to make her believe?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)