|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hardcastle think when she catches Tony and Constance together?
(a) That they are only after the jewels.
(b) That they are playing games with her.
(c) That they are in love with each other.
(d) That they need to be separated.
2. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
(a) Tony Lumpkin's cousin.
(b) A poor relation working for Mr. Hardcastle.
(c) Mrs. Hardcastle's personal servant.
(d) The house barmaid.
3. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
(b) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
(c) Waiting three years before they can marry.
(d) Losing Constance to Tony.
4. How does Marlow say he saw Kate?
(a) He saw her without emotion and parted without regret.
(b) He saw her only as a bonnet.
(c) He saw her as a witless girl.
(d) He saw her as a simple-minded gold digger.
5. What is Tony's problem with the letter?
(a) He doesn't read French.
(b) He cannot read handwriting.
(c) It is too dark in the room.
(d) He doesn't have his glasses.
6. What is Constance resolved to do at this point?
(a) Appeal to Mrs. Hardcastle's mother instincts.
(b) Appeal to the Bishop of Canterbury.
(c) Take Mrs. Hardcastle to court.
(d) Appeal to Mr. Hardcastle.
7. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
(a) He says he cannot get any repose in the house.
(b) He says the innkeeper is rude.
(c) He says the servants are impossible.
(d) He says he cannot find Hastings.
8. What is Kate's response as Marlow moves closer to her?
(a) She asks of he thinks she's wearing a mask.
(b) She asks if he is trying to guess her age the way they do horses.
(c) She runs behind a large chair.
(d) She asks if he is in need of glasses.
9. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
(a) She snatches the letter away and pretends to read.
(b) She says that she hears Mr. Hardcastle coming.
(c) She calls Mrs. Hardcastle mother and says she should help her.
(d) She faints.
10. How does Mrs. Hardcastle show her blind love of her son, Tony?
(a) She buys him the latest fashion clothes.
(b) She orders a painting done of him.
(c) She gives him a fortune.
(d) She says he could charm the birds from the trees.
11. What does Marlow say that Kate overhears?
(a) That Miss Hardcastle hides her face under a bonnet.
(b) That Miss Hardcastle is too grave and sentimental for him.
(c) That Miss Hardcastle talks too much.
(d) That Miss Hardcastle wears ridiculous clothes.
12. Why does Mr. Hardcastle not go back into the house?
(a) He hasn't finished his walk.
(b) He is sure he heard two voices and wants to know who else is there.
(c) He thinks there is someone with a gun in the thicket.
(d) He wants to find out how Tony got so muddy.
13. When Hastings accuses Marlow of planning to rob the barmaid of her honor, what does Marlow reply?
(a) Pshaw, you know barmaids don't worry about honor.
(b) You can't rob something that is freely given.
(c) He will marry her if she gets pregnant.
(d) There is nothing in this house I do not intend to pay for.
14. What does Kate convince her father to do?
(a) Give her time to prove that Marlow really is a modest gentleman.
(b) Invite Marlow to return to the house as often as he likes.
(c) Let her have her fun with Marlow before telling him who she is.
(d) Help her make Marlow make a fool of himself.
15. When Hardcastle runs into Marlow, why is he upset?
(a) Marlow has not paid his room rent.
(b) Marlow's servants are getting drunk in Hardcastle's wine cellar.
(c) Marlow's servants are chasing Hardcastle's servant girls.
(d) Marlows servants are causing fights in the servants' quarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony do when his mother is so upset?
2. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
3. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
4. What does the maid question about Kate's plan?
5. What does Marlow tell Hardcastle about his servants.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)