|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlow tell Kate the barmaid his name is?
(a) Mr. Hastings.
(b) Mr. Danbury.
(c) Mr. Solomons.
(d) Mr. Rattles.
2. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
(a) Weary, booted, and splattered with mud.
(b) Excited and jumping with joy.
(c) Angry and covered with straw.
(d) Confused and unhappy.
3. When Hastings accuses Marlow of planning to rob the barmaid of her honor, what does Marlow reply?
(a) You can't rob something that is freely given.
(b) There is nothing in this house I do not intend to pay for.
(c) He will marry her if she gets pregnant.
(d) Pshaw, you know barmaids don't worry about honor.
4. Why does Mr. Hardcastle not go back into the house?
(a) He wants to find out how Tony got so muddy.
(b) He thinks there is someone with a gun in the thicket.
(c) He hasn't finished his walk.
(d) He is sure he heard two voices and wants to know who else is there.
5. Why does Hastings say they must hurry if they plan to elope?
(a) Because young Marlow will discover his mistake and be angry.
(b) Because there will be guards when Sir Charles arrives.
(c) Because Sir Charles knows Hastings and would say too much.
(d) Because everyone will be watching closely when Sir Charles arrives.
6. Who enters with a letter for Tony?
(c) Mr. Hardcastle.
7. What does Sir Charles say will happen if what Kate has said turns out to be true?
(a) He will confront his son with a pistol.
(b) He will allow Hardcastle to chastize his son.
(c) All his happiness with his son shall come to an end.
(d) He will send his son to an asylum.
8. How does Miss Neville know who the letter is from?
(a) She recognizes the handwriting.
(b) She snatches the letter from Tony's hand.
(c) She reads the letter for Tony.
(d) She knows Hastings is going to write.
9. How does Marlow say he saw Kate?
(a) He saw her as a simple-minded gold digger.
(b) He saw her as a witless girl.
(c) He saw her without emotion and parted without regret.
(d) He saw her only as a bonnet.
10. When Tony hands the letter to his mother, what does Constance do?
(a) She calls Mrs. Hardcastle mother and says she should help her.
(b) She snatches the letter away and pretends to read.
(c) She faints.
(d) She says that she hears Mr. Hardcastle coming.
11. What is Constance resolved to do at this point?
(a) Take Mrs. Hardcastle to court.
(b) Appeal to the Bishop of Canterbury.
(c) Appeal to Mrs. Hardcastle's mother instincts.
(d) Appeal to Mr. Hardcastle.
12. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
(a) She says that he proposed marriage and she turned him down.
(b) She says that he insulted her.
(c) She says that they never met.
(d) She says that they have met many times.
13. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
(a) Mr. Hardcastle.
(c) Mrs. Hardcastle.
14. What subterfuge do Constance and Tony carry out when Mrs. Hardcastle is in the room?
(a) They act shy around each other.
(b) They pretend to court one another.
(c) They pretend they are planning a wedding.
(d) They go to opposite sides of the room.
15. What does Mrs. Hardcastle promise to give Constance right away?
(a) A wedding dress.
(b) A trip to her aunt's house in London.
(c) Her garnets.
(d) The jewels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Kate that Marlow thinks the house is an inn?
2. Who puts Marlow straight about the house?
3. Where is Mr. Hardcastle while Mrs. Hardcastle is leaving with Constance?
4. What seems to be the only solution for Constance and Hastings?
5. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react to Tony's flippant attitude toward her?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)