|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Miss Neville know who the letter is from?
(a) She snatches the letter from Tony's hand.
(b) She reads the letter for Tony.
(c) She recognizes the handwriting.
(d) She knows Hastings is going to write.
2. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
(a) Tied them to a tree about twenty miles away.
(b) Driven them around in circles for hours and returned home.
(c) Knocked them unconscious and brought them back.
(d) He put his mother out fifteen miles away and returned with Constance.
3. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
(a) He becomes quite flirtatious.
(b) He pauses trying to remember who she is.
(c) He orders a sandwich.
(d) He starts stammering again.
4. How does Mrs. Hardcastle show her blind love of her son, Tony?
(a) She orders a painting done of him.
(b) She says he could charm the birds from the trees.
(c) She gives him a fortune.
(d) She buys him the latest fashion clothes.
5. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
(a) Saying that Sir Charles has already committed him to marry Kate.
(b) Suggesting he has been flirting with the barmaid.
(c) Insisting that he pay for the wine his servants drank.
(d) Insisting that he knows what has passed between him and Kate.
6. What time-consuming action had Tony taken on the ride?
(a) Slowed the horses down to a walk.
(b) Tied up Mrs. Hardcastle and put a gag in her mouth.
(c) Getting stuck in ponds ending up in the horsepond behind the garden.
(d) Stopped frequently to ask directions.
7. What does Marlow now fear?
(a) That he will be drawn in characature and made fun of.
(b) That now he will be forced to marry Miss Hardcastle.
(c) That his father will disinherit him.
(d) That Kate will not show him her embroidery.
8. What does Mrs. Hardcastle not recognize as Tony and Constance banter back and forth?
(a) How their faces reveal their true love.
(b) How nervous they are around her.
(c) The sarcasm in their declarations of love for each other.
(d) How they do not seem to listen to one another.
9. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
(a) That he cannot believe reports about his son.
(b) That he wants to meet Kate.
(c) That he is too busy to come to Liberty Hall.
(d) That he is coming to Hardcastle's house.
10. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
(b) Losing Constance to Tony.
(c) Waiting three years before they can marry.
(d) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
11. What does Kate let Marlow believe she is.
(a) Mrs. Hardcastle's personal servant.
(b) The house barmaid.
(c) A poor relation working for Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) Tony Lumpkin's cousin.
12. What does the maid tell Kate that Marlow thinks.
(a) He thinks it is all a joke.
(b) He thinks he is a fool for coming here.
(c) He thinks Kate is the barmaid.
(d) He thinks Miss Neville is Kate.
13. What does Mrs. Hardcastle discover when she goes to help Tony with the robber?
(a) It is Hastings and Constance trying to get away.
(b) Tony is fighting a bush.
(c) There are three men jumping on Tony.
(d) It is Mr. Hardcastle and not a robber at all.
14. What does Marlow do with the jewels?
(a) He hides them under the bed.
(b) He puts them in thleir carriage.
(c) Not knowing what they are, he deposits them with Mrs. Hardcastle.
(d) He puts them in his locked luggage.
15. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
(a) He tells her to go back to the horsepond and wait for him.
(b) He tells her to hide and he will stand guard.
(c) He tells her there are a gang of thieves headed their way.
(d) He tells her a highwayman is coming and she should hide in the thicket.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hastings say they must hurry if they plan to elope?
2. Who enters while Kate is struggling to get her hand away from Marlow?
3. What does Sir Charles say will happen if what Kate has said turns out to be true?
4. Who comes up with a plan to save the day?
5. What does Mrs. Hardcastle propose to do after she learns the truth about Constance and Hastings?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)