|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlow do in front of his father?
(a) Rant at the cruelty of his deception.
(b) Demand to see the barmaid.
(c) Asks Mr. Hardcastle's forgiveness one more time.
(d) Offer to pay for any damages done to Hardcastle's property.
2. Tony thinks Constance has not read all of the letter, so what does he do?
(a) He sits down and tries to read it himself.
(b) He puts the letter in his pocket to read later.
(c) He has a temper tantrum.
(d) He gives it to his mother to finish reading.
3. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
(a) Saying that Sir Charles has already committed him to marry Kate.
(b) Insisting that he pay for the wine his servants drank.
(c) Suggesting he has been flirting with the barmaid.
(d) Insisting that he knows what has passed between him and Kate.
4. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
(a) He starts stammering again.
(b) He pauses trying to remember who she is.
(c) He orders a sandwich.
(d) He becomes quite flirtatious.
5. What does Mrs. Hardcastle propose to do after she learns the truth about Constance and Hastings?
(a) She plans to lock Constance in her room until Hastings leaves.
(b) She plans to charge Hastings with stealing the jewels.
(c) She plans to take Constance to her Aunt Pedigree in London.
(d) She plans to call the vicar and have Constance and Tony marry immediately.
6. When Hardcastle runs into Marlow, why is he upset?
(a) Marlow has not paid his room rent.
(b) Marlow's servants are chasing Hardcastle's servant girls.
(c) Marlows servants are causing fights in the servants' quarters.
(d) Marlow's servants are getting drunk in Hardcastle's wine cellar.
7. What subterfuge do Constance and Tony carry out when Mrs. Hardcastle is in the room?
(a) They act shy around each other.
(b) They pretend to court one another.
(c) They pretend they are planning a wedding.
(d) They go to opposite sides of the room.
8. What does Mrs. Hardcastle promise to give Constance right away?
(a) Her garnets.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) A trip to her aunt's house in London.
(d) The jewels.
9. What does Tony tell his mother when he spies Mr. Hardcastle walking that way?
(a) He tells her there are a gang of thieves headed their way.
(b) He tells her to hide and he will stand guard.
(c) He tells her to go back to the horsepond and wait for him.
(d) He tells her a highwayman is coming and she should hide in the thicket.
10. What does Marlow say that Kate overhears?
(a) That Miss Hardcastle is too grave and sentimental for him.
(b) That Miss Hardcastle wears ridiculous clothes.
(c) That Miss Hardcastle hides her face under a bonnet.
(d) That Miss Hardcastle talks too much.
11. What does Marlow tell Kate the barmaid his name is?
(a) Mr. Danbury.
(b) Mr. Rattles.
(c) Mr. Solomons.
(d) Mr. Hastings.
12. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
(a) Being confronted by Sir Charles.
(b) Losing Constance to Tony.
(c) Waiting three years before they can marry.
(d) Going to prison for stealing the jewels.
13. What does Mrs. Hardcastle not recognize as Tony and Constance banter back and forth?
(a) How they do not seem to listen to one another.
(b) The sarcasm in their declarations of love for each other.
(c) How their faces reveal their true love.
(d) How nervous they are around her.
14. What does the maid question about Kate's plan?
(a) Whether Constance will go along with the sceme.
(b) Whether she can act the part of a barmaid.
(c) Whether Marlow will stay in the house.
(d) Whether Kate can get her father to agree to her plan.
15. How does Marlow conspire to get closer to Kate?
(a) He moves in quickly when she looks away.
(b) He pretends to trip on the carpet.
(c) He asks her to dance with him.
(d) He tries guessing her age and must come for a closer look.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hardcastle tell Kate he plans to do?
2. What does Hardcastle say that girls like?
3. What does Marlow do with the jewels?
4. What is Kate's response as Marlow moves closer to her?
5. What does Mrs. Hardcastle discover when she goes to help Tony with the robber?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)