|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hardcastle call his home?
(a) Liberty Hall.
(b) Inn and Out.
(c) Upson Downs.
(d) Hardcastle Castle.
2. When Kate agrees to accept the young man if he asks for her hand, how does her father tease her?
(a) He says that the young man may be deformed in some way.
(b) He says that it's more than an even wager that he won't have her.
(c) He says that the young man might be mentally retarded.
(d) He says that as her father he might not give his consent.
3. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
(a) Only when she has paste copies of them.
(b) When she is in her forties and her beauty needs repairing.
(c) They are for looking at and not for wearing.
(d) Only when she's presented at court.
4. What is Tony's composition he leads at the Three Pigeons?
(a) A pledge of allegiance.
(b) An epic poem.
(c) A raunchy limerick.
(d) A drinking song.
5. What has Kate promised her father about her dress in the evenings?
(a) That she will only dress up in the evenings.
(b) That she will not wear jewelry in the evenings.
(c) That she will wear simply country housewife clothes.
(d) That she will wear a dancing costume in the evenings.
6. When Marlow and Hastings enter the Three Pigeons, Marlow is complaining about the distance they came. What does Hastings say?
(a) It was because they had no roadmap to the Hardcastle estate.
(b) It was because a wheel broke on the carriage and they had to haul it to London.
(c) It was because he would not stop and ask directions.
(d) It was because he forgot his top hat and had to go back for it.
7. What sort of sales pitch does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter?
(a) He begs her to spend less on clothes.
(b) He praises a young man who is coming to visit.
(c) He wants her to learn to cook.
(d) He offers to send her to the university.
8. Giving up on following Tony's directions, what does Marlow do?
(a) He suggests they return to London.
(b) He asks the landlord for a room for the night.
(c) He says they can sleep in the carriage.
(d) He tells Hastings that this is why he never stopped to ask directions.
9. Left behind as Hardcastle and Marlow go to the bedrooms, who does Hastings see?
(b) Mrs. Hardcastle.
(c) Kate Hardcastle.
(d) Constance Neville.
10. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
(a) He demands to know what's for supper.
(b) He orders Hardcastle to unpack his bags.
(c) He offers Hardcastle a tip for the punch.
(d) He demands to be taken to the dining room.
11. How does Hardcastle finally get the attention of Marlow and Hastings?
(a) By firing a pistol.
(b) By mentioning sex.
(c) By talking louder.
(d) By kicking them.
12. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
(a) He says there is a rumor that they steal from their guests while they sleep.
(b) He says they get their guests out of bed when the rooster crows each morning.
(c) He says they have hard beds and sour wine.
(d) He says they have good beds and fine wine.
13. What admonition does Hardcastle give the servants for when guests arrive?
(a) Not to scratch themselves in public.
(b) Not to speak unless spoken to.
(c) Not to ask guests for tips.
(d) Not to pop in, stare, and run like scared rabbits.
14. What is Hardcastle's toast after passing out the punch?
(a) To good horses and fair ladies.
(b) To overlook your insolence.
(c) To our better acquaintence.
(d) To send you on your way.
15. What is Mr. Hardcastle attempting to do with his servants?
(a) Get them to work for less money.
(b) Train them for fine service before Marlow arrives.
(c) Measure them for new uniforms.
(d) Teach them how to walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the meal problem is settled, what demands do Marlow and Hastings make?
2. What does Mrs. Hardcastle say their mansion looks like?
3. What does Hardcastle say about the servants overhearing one of his funny stories?
4. What does Mr. Hardcastle say Marlow has to do?
5. What happens when Hardcastle hears a coach drive up in front of the house?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)