|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kate say about Marlow?
(a) That he was rude and callous and she wanted him to go away.
(b) That she expected something extraordinary and she was quite surprised by him.
(c) That she didn't know he was Hastings' best friend.
(d) That he appeared to be a simpleton.
2. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
(a) The most eligable bachelor in London.
(b) The son of her father's dearest friend.
(c) A royal in line for the throne.
(d) The most intimate friend of her admirer, Mr. Hastings.
3. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
(a) He demands to be taken to the dining room.
(b) He offers Hardcastle a tip for the punch.
(c) He demands to know what's for supper.
(d) He orders Hardcastle to unpack his bags.
4. Seeing the good furniture, what does Hasting fear?
(a) That it is an antique shop.
(b) That this might not be an inn after all.
(c) That they will be overcharged for their stay.
(d) That the beds will be hard and uncomfortable.
5. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
(a) Only when she has paste copies of them.
(b) They are for looking at and not for wearing.
(c) Only when she's presented at court.
(d) When she is in her forties and her beauty needs repairing.
6. What does Tony come running into the room to announce?
(a) That he overheard Hastings and Constance planning an elopement.
(b) That his mother will not release the jewels.
(c) That he has Constance's jewels to give her.
(d) That the barn is on fire.
7. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
(a) To see people eating at the table and not be able to eat himself.
(b) To keep his hands off the sherry.
(c) To walk without tripping over his feet.
(d) To speak in a refined manner.
8. How does Hardcastle finally get the attention of Marlow and Hastings?
(a) By firing a pistol.
(b) By talking louder.
(c) By mentioning sex.
(d) By kicking them.
9. When Marlow and Hastings enter the Three Pigeons, Marlow is complaining about the distance they came. What does Hastings say?
(a) It was because they had no roadmap to the Hardcastle estate.
(b) It was because a wheel broke on the carriage and they had to haul it to London.
(c) It was because he forgot his top hat and had to go back for it.
(d) It was because he would not stop and ask directions.
10. After the meal problem is settled, what demands do Marlow and Hastings make?
(a) That new mattresses be placed on their beds.
(b) That their bed chambers are aired out properly.
(c) That they go see to the making of their beds.
(d) That their beds are positioned facing East.
11. What does Tony volunteer to do as Marlow and Hastings head out the door of the Three Pigeons?
(a) He tries hard to contain his laughter.
(b) He kicks the landlord of the pub under the table.
(c) He offers to go out and point the way.
(d) He tips his hat and wishes them well.
12. What refreshment does Marlow ask of Hardcastle?
(a) A gin and tonic.
(b) An Irish whisky.
(c) A glass of warm punch.
(d) Milk and biscuits.
13. Why does Constance not believe that Mrs. Hardcastle has lost her jewels?
(a) Because Mrs. Hardcastle knows the value of the jewels.
(b) Because she knows where Mrs. Harcastle keeps them.
(c) Because Tony told her they are not lost.
(d) Because she has them herself.
14. What does Hastings say about Marlow in the company of women of reputation?
(a) He puts on airs that the women can see right through.
(b) He turns red and cannot speak.
(c) He is a trembler looking like he wants to steal out of the room.
(d) He gets grand and ignores the women.
15. Left behind as Hardcastle and Marlow go to the bedrooms, who does Hastings see?
(b) Constance Neville.
(c) Mrs. Hardcastle.
(d) Kate Hardcastle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marlow's reaction when he sees the menu for the night's supper?
2. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
3. When Kate agrees to accept the young man if he asks for her hand, how does her father tease her?
4. When Hastings offers them something already made up, what is Marlow's aside to Hastings?
5. What does Mr. Hardcastle tell his wife when she suggests that Tony is consumptive.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)