|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Mr. Hardcastle astonished by Kate's conversation?
(a) She says that Marlow spoke well and was very courteous.
(b) She says that Marlow was as much a gentleman as Hastings.
(c) She says Marlow was timid and had a bashful manner.
(d) She says that Marlow is the very image of a grand gentleman.
2. How interested is Hardcastle in politics?
(a) He favors the Tories.
(b) He is an avid Liberal.
(c) Not at all because it frets him.
(d) He is an avid follower of politics.
3. What does Mr. Hardcastle say Marlow has to do?
(a) Work in the inn for one year.
(b) Give up playing jokes on his host.
(c) Reconcile contradictions.
(d) Crawl on his hands and knees.
4. What does Hardcastle assume from Kate's comments about Marlow?
(a) That she finds him as objectionable as he does.
(b) That Marlow knows how to speak with a lady.
(c) That she must have met someone else.
(d) That her judgement is failing her.
5. What is the one area of agreement between Kate and Mr. Hardcastle about Marlow?
(a) They think they can change him to be a respectable gentleman.
(b) He is a man with a split personality.
(c) If he is what they saw of him on first meeting, neither of them will consent to a marriage.
(d) Maybe he is just tired from the long trip from London.
6. As the play opens, who are the two characters who enter from the right?
(a) Marlow and Hastings
(b) The maid and Mrs. Hardcastle
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hardcastle
(d) Kate and Marlow
7. What is Marlow's experience with proper young ladies?
(a) Only experience with his cousins.
(b) Hardly no experience with ladies of the upper class.
(c) A lot of experience that always ends badly.
(d) None whatsoever because he has been in all-boy schools.
8. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
(a) The most eligable bachelor in London.
(b) The son of her father's dearest friend.
(c) A royal in line for the throne.
(d) The most intimate friend of her admirer, Mr. Hastings.
9. What does Tony do when he discovers that Marlow and Hastings are hopelessly lost?
(a) He gives them long, complicated directions to Hardcastle mansion.
(b) He tells them no one in those parts know a Mr. Hardcastle.
(c) He offers to go with them to show the way.
(d) He sends them headed back toward London.
10. How do Hastings and Marlow continue to ignore Hardcastle?
(a) By going to look out of the window.
(b) By keeping their backs to him.
(c) By talking loudly to each other.
(d) By discussing what to wear before they go on to meet Kate and Constance.
11. What is Mr. Hardcastle attempting to do with his servants?
(a) Train them for fine service before Marlow arrives.
(b) Measure them for new uniforms.
(c) Teach them how to walk.
(d) Get them to work for less money.
12. What does Kate say about Marlow?
(a) That she didn't know he was Hastings' best friend.
(b) That he was rude and callous and she wanted him to go away.
(c) That she expected something extraordinary and she was quite surprised by him.
(d) That he appeared to be a simpleton.
13. What is Tony's reply when Hastings asks how he managed to get the jewels?
(a) I said if she gave me the jewels I'd marry Constance.
(b) I told her you and Constance wer trying to find them and I should hide them for her.
(c) I told her I would keep them in my vault.
(d) Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no fibs.
14. What names has Mr. Hardcastle been calling Tony for almost a year?
(a) Fat and sassy.
(b) Dumb and dirty.
(c) Pigeon lover and turkey neck.
(d) Whelp and hound.
15. What does Hastings say about Marlow in the company of women of reputation?
(a) He turns red and cannot speak.
(b) He puts on airs that the women can see right through.
(c) He is a trembler looking like he wants to steal out of the room.
(d) He gets grand and ignores the women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Hardcastle asks the servants about serving wine?
2. What does Tony say his mother would part with before she gave up the jewels?
3. What is Tony's one word admonition to the landlord of the pub?
4. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
5. What happens when Hardcastle hears a coach drive up in front of the house?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)