|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit Kate as she is contemplating the evening and meeting Marlow?
(a) The maid with a glass of milk.
(b) Constance Neville, her best friend.
(c) Tony Lumpkin, her stepbrother.
(d) Mrs. Hardcastle wanting to know what her husband told Kate.
2. What is Tony looking forward to in the near future?
(a) Getting even with Kate for standing between him and Constance.
(b) Coming into his inheritance of 1,500 pounds a year.
(c) Being presented at court.
(d) Going abraod for an extended vacation.
3. What does Tony volunteer to do as Marlow and Hastings head out the door of the Three Pigeons?
(a) He kicks the landlord of the pub under the table.
(b) He offers to go out and point the way.
(c) He tries hard to contain his laughter.
(d) He tips his hat and wishes them well.
4. What does Mr. Hardcastle say the neighbors bring back from their trips to town?
(a) Vanity and affectation.
(b) Bills and bad dispositions.
(c) Useless furniture and ugly paintings.
(d) Things for which they have no use.
5. When Marlow and Hastings enter the Three Pigeons, Marlow is complaining about the distance they came. What does Hastings say?
(a) It was because he would not stop and ask directions.
(b) It was because he forgot his top hat and had to go back for it.
(c) It was because a wheel broke on the carriage and they had to haul it to London.
(d) It was because they had no roadmap to the Hardcastle estate.
6. What does Hardcastle assume from Kate's comments about Marlow?
(a) That Marlow knows how to speak with a lady.
(b) That her judgement is failing her.
(c) That she must have met someone else.
(d) That she finds him as objectionable as he does.
7. What is Mr. Hardcastle's response to Mrs. Hardcastle's complaining that he only likes old things.
(a) He says she thinks anything bought last month is old.
(b) He says she just does not know the value of antiques.
(c) He says she knows he just bought a new horse.
(d) He says she will have to own that he is pretty fond of an old wife.
8. Of what does Marlow envy Hastings?
(a) His skill at writing love poems.
(b) His wealth and title.
(c) His ability to play the lute and sing.
(d) His ability to captivate any woman.
9. After the meal problem is settled, what demands do Marlow and Hastings make?
(a) That new mattresses be placed on their beds.
(b) That their beds are positioned facing East.
(c) That their bed chambers are aired out properly.
(d) That they go see to the making of their beds.
10. What is Tony's one word admonition to the landlord of the pub?
(b) Don't forget!
11. How does Hardcastle say the servants are like their betters?
(a) They are too concerned about their dress.
(b) They are arguing over places of importance.
(c) They are only interested in the money.
(d) They want some staff to be under them.
12. When Mrs. Hardcastle tries to get Tony to say home one night, where is he planning to go?
(a) The Cock and Bull pub.
(b) The Three Pigeons pub.
(c) The theater.
(d) To church.
13. What argument does the subject of age bring up between the Hardcastles?
(a) How long they have had the same furniture.
(b) The holes in the carpet.
(c) The leaks in the roof.
(d) Mrs. Hardcastle's age.
14. When Kate agrees to accept the young man if he asks for her hand, how does her father tease her?
(a) He says that the young man might be mentally retarded.
(b) He says that it's more than an even wager that he won't have her.
(c) He says that the young man may be deformed in some way.
(d) He says that as her father he might not give his consent.
15. What is so amusing about the way Kate and her father describe Marlow?
(a) It sounds as though they are not talking about the same man.
(b) They can hardly contain their laughter at the man.
(c) They agree completely about Marlow.
(d) They are not listening to each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marlow's experience with proper young ladies?
2. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
3. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
4. What is Marlow's reaction when he sees the menu for the night's supper?
5. What joke does Tony play on Hastings and Marlow?.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)