|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Hardcastle dote on?
(a) Miss Neville, Mrs. Hardcastle's niece.
(b) Young Marlow, Sir Charles Marlow's son.
(c) Kate, Mr. Hardcastle's daughter.
(d) Tony Lumpkin, her son by her late first husband.
2. After the meal problem is settled, what demands do Marlow and Hastings make?
(a) That their beds are positioned facing East.
(b) That new mattresses be placed on their beds.
(c) That they go see to the making of their beds.
(d) That their bed chambers are aired out properly.
3. What is Tony's one word admonition to the landlord of the pub?
(a) Don't forget!
4. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
(a) That Marlow is madly in love with Kate.
(b) That Tony Lumpkin had nothing to do with the joke.
(c) That he is in Hardcastle's house and not an inn.
(d) That Constance will forget her jewels and elope with Hastings.
5. How is the scene in the Three Pigeons a satire on sentimental comedy?
(a) The sentiments are only on drinking.
(b) The characters serve as a chorus as in Greek comedy.
(c) The dialogue is high toned.
(d) The characters are all commoners and not genteel.
6. What happens when Hardcastle hears a coach drive up in front of the house?
(a) He hurries out to greet Marlow.
(b) He thinks it is the mail coach.
(c) He runs to sit down in the living room.
(d) He rushes the servants through their jobs one more time.
7. What does Tony do when he discovers that Marlow and Hastings are hopelessly lost?
(a) He gives them long, complicated directions to Hardcastle mansion.
(b) He sends them headed back toward London.
(c) He tells them no one in those parts know a Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) He offers to go with them to show the way.
8. What does Kate say about Marlow?
(a) That he appeared to be a simpleton.
(b) That he was rude and callous and she wanted him to go away.
(c) That she expected something extraordinary and she was quite surprised by him.
(d) That she didn't know he was Hastings' best friend.
9. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
(a) Only when she's presented at court.
(b) They are for looking at and not for wearing.
(c) When she is in her forties and her beauty needs repairing.
(d) Only when she has paste copies of them.
10. Who is Hardcastle reminded of when he hears the word retreat?
(a) General Custer.
(b) The Duke of Marlborough.
(c) The Earl of Bath.
(d) Napoleon Bonepart.
11. Left behind as Hardcastle and Marlow go to the bedrooms, who does Hastings see?
(a) Kate Hardcastle.
(b) Constance Neville.
(d) Mrs. Hardcastle.
12. What is Tony's reply when Hastings asks how he managed to get the jewels?
(a) I told her I would keep them in my vault.
(b) I said if she gave me the jewels I'd marry Constance.
(c) Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no fibs.
(d) I told her you and Constance wer trying to find them and I should hide them for her.
13. What argument does the subject of age bring up between the Hardcastles?
(a) How long they have had the same furniture.
(b) The holes in the carpet.
(c) The leaks in the roof.
(d) Mrs. Hardcastle's age.
14. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
(a) He says they have good beds and fine wine.
(b) He says there is a rumor that they steal from their guests while they sleep.
(c) He says they have hard beds and sour wine.
(d) He says they get their guests out of bed when the rooster crows each morning.
15. What do Hastings and Marlow believe?
(a) That Hardcastle can tell them which way to go to find Kate.
(b) That they might stay over one more night.
(c) That what Tony told them about the innkeeper is true.
(d) That they must get away from Hardcastle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing about the man whose name is Marlow that Kate does not particularly like?
2. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
3. What is Hardcastle's toast after passing out the punch?
4. What does Mr. Hardcastle expect from Diggory who was brought into the house from his work in the barn?
5. As soon as Hardcastle is out of sight, what do the servants begin saying?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)