|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Left behind as Hardcastle and Marlow go to the bedrooms, who does Hastings see?
(a) Mrs. Hardcastle.
(b) Constance Neville.
(c) Kate Hardcastle.
2. What names has Mr. Hardcastle been calling Tony for almost a year?
(a) Dumb and dirty.
(b) Pigeon lover and turkey neck.
(c) Fat and sassy.
(d) Whelp and hound.
3. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
(a) The most eligable bachelor in London.
(b) The most intimate friend of her admirer, Mr. Hastings.
(c) A royal in line for the throne.
(d) The son of her father's dearest friend.
4. Does Mr. Hardcastle think he might change his mind about Marlow?
(a) No, he trusts his first impression.
(b) Yes, if Sir Charles comes and straightens his son out.
(c) No, because he will not give him a chance to apologize.
(d) Yes, because Kate might end up being an old maid.
5. When Kate agrees to accept the young man if he asks for her hand, how does her father tease her?
(a) He says that the young man may be deformed in some way.
(b) He says that the young man might be mentally retarded.
(c) He says that as her father he might not give his consent.
(d) He says that it's more than an even wager that he won't have her.
6. Hardcastle is stunned by their rudeness but offers what service?
(a) To send out for their supper.
(b) To let them go to the kitchen and prepare their own supper.
(c) To feed them only bread and water.
(d) To alter anything on the menu.
7. What does Tony do when he discovers that Marlow and Hastings are hopelessly lost?
(a) He offers to go with them to show the way.
(b) He gives them long, complicated directions to Hardcastle mansion.
(c) He tells them no one in those parts know a Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) He sends them headed back toward London.
8. Where does Diggory say he learned how to hold his hands?
(a) In church.
(b) In the university.
(c) In prison.
(d) In the militia.
9. Who does Mrs. Hardcastle dote on?
(a) Kate, Mr. Hardcastle's daughter.
(b) Miss Neville, Mrs. Hardcastle's niece.
(c) Tony Lumpkin, her son by her late first husband.
(d) Young Marlow, Sir Charles Marlow's son.
10. What is the one area of agreement between Kate and Mr. Hardcastle about Marlow?
(a) Maybe he is just tired from the long trip from London.
(b) He is a man with a split personality.
(c) If he is what they saw of him on first meeting, neither of them will consent to a marriage.
(d) They think they can change him to be a respectable gentleman.
11. What does Mr. Hardcastle expect from Diggory who was brought into the house from his work in the barn?
(a) To perform the duties of butler.
(b) To dance and entertain the guests.
(c) To make a show at the side table.
(d) To act as doorman.
12. What does Mrs. Hardcastle say their mansion looks like?
(a) A museum.
(b) A barn.
(c) An inn.
(d) A barracks.
13. How is Mr. Hardcastle astonished by Kate's conversation?
(a) She says Marlow was timid and had a bashful manner.
(b) She says that Marlow is the very image of a grand gentleman.
(c) She says that Marlow was as much a gentleman as Hastings.
(d) She says that Marlow spoke well and was very courteous.
14. What comment does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter, Kate, seeing her dressed in the latest fashion.
(a) There's enough silk in that gown to make two.
(b) What is wrong with the simple country dress?
(c) The indigent world could be clothed out of the trimmings of the vain.
(d) Have you turned to be like Mrs. Hardcastle?
15. What does Mr. Hardcastle say the neighbors bring back from their trips to town?
(a) Bills and bad dispositions.
(b) Vanity and affectation.
(c) Things for which they have no use.
(d) Useless furniture and ugly paintings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hastings' double entendre about the calf brains on the menu?
2. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
3. What joke does Tony play on Hastings and Marlow?.
4. What is Marlow's experience with proper young ladies?
5. What does Hardcastle assume from Kate's comments about Marlow?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)