|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hardcastle say Marlow has to do?
(a) Work in the inn for one year.
(b) Crawl on his hands and knees.
(c) Reconcile contradictions.
(d) Give up playing jokes on his host.
2. What is Marlow's experience with proper young ladies?
(a) Hardly no experience with ladies of the upper class.
(b) None whatsoever because he has been in all-boy schools.
(c) Only experience with his cousins.
(d) A lot of experience that always ends badly.
3. What is Mr. Hardcastle's response to Mrs. Hardcastle's complaining that he only likes old things.
(a) He says she just does not know the value of antiques.
(b) He says she knows he just bought a new horse.
(c) He says she will have to own that he is pretty fond of an old wife.
(d) He says she thinks anything bought last month is old.
4. After the meal problem is settled, what demands do Marlow and Hastings make?
(a) That their bed chambers are aired out properly.
(b) That their beds are positioned facing East.
(c) That new mattresses be placed on their beds.
(d) That they go see to the making of their beds.
5. What does the landlord say about available accommodations?
(a) He says there is only one bed with three men in it already.
(b) He says they can have the bridal suite.
(c) He says they can sit down and put their heads on a table.
(d) He says they are welcome to sleep in the barn.
6. Before offering to give directions to Marlow and Hastings, what does Tony want to know?
(a) If they need to see Hardcastle right away.
(b) If they have an invitation to the Hardcastle mansion.
(c) If they have servants traveling with them.
(d) If they know where they are and how they got there.
7. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
(a) That he is in Hardcastle's house and not an inn.
(b) That Constance will forget her jewels and elope with Hastings.
(c) That Marlow is madly in love with Kate.
(d) That Tony Lumpkin had nothing to do with the joke.
8. How interested is Hardcastle in politics?
(a) Not at all because it frets him.
(b) He is an avid follower of politics.
(c) He is an avid Liberal.
(d) He favors the Tories.
9. When Kate agrees to accept the young man if he asks for her hand, how does her father tease her?
(a) He says that the young man might be mentally retarded.
(b) He says that as her father he might not give his consent.
(c) He says that the young man may be deformed in some way.
(d) He says that it's more than an even wager that he won't have her.
10. What happens when Hardcastle asks the servants about serving wine?
(a) They all start wishing for a glass of wine.
(b) They all rush out to get the wine.
(c) No one moves to get the wine.
(d) They all say that they prefer ale.
11. Hardcastle is stunned by their rudeness but offers what service?
(a) To send out for their supper.
(b) To feed them only bread and water.
(c) To let them go to the kitchen and prepare their own supper.
(d) To alter anything on the menu.
12. What is Marlow's plan for meeting Kate Hardcastle?
(a) Pretend to be very ill.
(b) Run away before she comes down.
(c) Pretend to be a valet servant.
(d) Bow low, say yes and no, and not look at her face.
13. What sort of sales pitch does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter?
(a) He praises a young man who is coming to visit.
(b) He begs her to spend less on clothes.
(c) He offers to send her to the university.
(d) He wants her to learn to cook.
14. What admonition does Hardcastle give the servants for when guests arrive?
(a) Not to speak unless spoken to.
(b) Not to pop in, stare, and run like scared rabbits.
(c) Not to scratch themselves in public.
(d) Not to ask guests for tips.
15. What does Mr. Hardcastle expect from Diggory who was brought into the house from his work in the barn?
(a) To act as doorman.
(b) To dance and entertain the guests.
(c) To make a show at the side table.
(d) To perform the duties of butler.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the scene in the Three Pigeons a satire on sentimental comedy?
2. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
3. Why is Mrs. Hardcastle trying to make a match between Tony and Constance?
4. What does Tony tell Marlow and Hastings about the owner of the inn?
5. What does Mr. Hardcastle say the neighbors bring back from their trips to town?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)