|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit Kate as she is contemplating the evening and meeting Marlow?
(a) Tony Lumpkin, her stepbrother.
(b) Mrs. Hardcastle wanting to know what her husband told Kate.
(c) The maid with a glass of milk.
(d) Constance Neville, her best friend.
2. What is Mrs. Hardcastle's state of mind when she returns to the living room?
(a) She is nervous because she can't find the key to her bureau.
(b) She is smug because she thinks she has defeated Constance.
(c) She is hysterical believing the jewels to have been stolen.
(d) She is happy because she is giving her garnets to Constance.
3. What dichotomy does Marlow bewail?
(a) You cannot pay upper class women the same as you do the lower class.
(b) An impudent man may fake modesty, but a modest man cannot fake impudence.
(c) Low class women are not bound by the reserve of upper class women.
(d) Lower class women do not expect marriage like the upper class.
4. What does Mr. Hardcastle say Marlow has to do?
(a) Reconcile contradictions.
(b) Give up playing jokes on his host.
(c) Work in the inn for one year.
(d) Crawl on his hands and knees.
5. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
(a) When she is in her forties and her beauty needs repairing.
(b) Only when she's presented at court.
(c) Only when she has paste copies of them.
(d) They are for looking at and not for wearing.
6. When Marlow and Hastings enter the Three Pigeons, Marlow is complaining about the distance they came. What does Hastings say?
(a) It was because he forgot his top hat and had to go back for it.
(b) It was because they had no roadmap to the Hardcastle estate.
(c) It was because he would not stop and ask directions.
(d) It was because a wheel broke on the carriage and they had to haul it to London.
7. What is Tony looking forward to in the near future?
(a) Going abraod for an extended vacation.
(b) Getting even with Kate for standing between him and Constance.
(c) Coming into his inheritance of 1,500 pounds a year.
(d) Being presented at court.
8. What sort of sales pitch does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter?
(a) He begs her to spend less on clothes.
(b) He wants her to learn to cook.
(c) He praises a young man who is coming to visit.
(d) He offers to send her to the university.
9. What does Tony warn them of once they get to the inn?
(a) The owner will introduce them to his talkative wife.
(b) The owner will want to sit and talk with them.
(c) The owner will warn them about touching his daughter.
(d) The food will be very bad.
10. Who does Mrs. Hardcastle dote on?
(a) Tony Lumpkin, her son by her late first husband.
(b) Kate, Mr. Hardcastle's daughter.
(c) Young Marlow, Sir Charles Marlow's son.
(d) Miss Neville, Mrs. Hardcastle's niece.
11. What is the one area of agreement between Kate and Mr. Hardcastle about Marlow?
(a) He is a man with a split personality.
(b) They think they can change him to be a respectable gentleman.
(c) Maybe he is just tired from the long trip from London.
(d) If he is what they saw of him on first meeting, neither of them will consent to a marriage.
12. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
(a) It has fallen into a state of ruin.
(b) It looks too much like a regular house.
(c) It is better than they had hoped for.
(d) It is well-looking and credible.
13. What is Marlow's reaction when he sees the menu for the night's supper?
(a) He thinks it is rustic food.
(b) He does not believe the menu is correct.
(c) He is shocked, thinking it will be expensive.
(d) He cannot eat rich food at night.
14. Does Mr. Hardcastle think he might change his mind about Marlow?
(a) No, he trusts his first impression.
(b) No, because he will not give him a chance to apologize.
(c) Yes, if Sir Charles comes and straightens his son out.
(d) Yes, because Kate might end up being an old maid.
15. What is Hardcastle's reaction when Kate enters the room?
(a) He is pleased with the modesty of her dress as they had agreed.
(b) That she will hate him for recommending Marlow to her.
(c) That she must leave at once and go to London.
(d) That she must stay in her room until Marlow departs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hardcastle say about the servants overhearing one of his funny stories?
2. As soon as Hardcastle is out of sight, what do the servants begin saying?
3. When Kate agrees to accept the young man if he asks for her hand, how does her father tease her?
4. What names has Mr. Hardcastle been calling Tony for almost a year?
5. What does Tony do when he discovers that Marlow and Hastings are hopelessly lost?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)