|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Hardcastle asks the servants about serving wine?
(a) No one moves to get the wine.
(b) They all start wishing for a glass of wine.
(c) They all rush out to get the wine.
(d) They all say that they prefer ale.
2. What does Tony warn them of once they get to the inn?
(a) The food will be very bad.
(b) The owner will warn them about touching his daughter.
(c) The owner will want to sit and talk with them.
(d) The owner will introduce them to his talkative wife.
3. How does Hardcastle say the servants are like their betters?
(a) They are only interested in the money.
(b) They are arguing over places of importance.
(c) They are too concerned about their dress.
(d) They want some staff to be under them.
4. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
(a) It is better than they had hoped for.
(b) It is well-looking and credible.
(c) It looks too much like a regular house.
(d) It has fallen into a state of ruin.
5. What comment does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter, Kate, seeing her dressed in the latest fashion.
(a) What is wrong with the simple country dress?
(b) There's enough silk in that gown to make two.
(c) The indigent world could be clothed out of the trimmings of the vain.
(d) Have you turned to be like Mrs. Hardcastle?
6. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
(a) That he must not let Kate meet the young man.
(b) He is the most impudent piece of brass that ever spoke with a tongue.
(c) That he cannot understand Sir Charles playing such a joke on him.
(d) That he should run him off with a pitchfork.
7. What is the one thing about the man whose name is Marlow that Kate does not particularly like?
(a) Her father says that Marlow is reputed to be quite vain.
(b) Her father says Marlow is reserved and shy.
(c) He father says that Marlow takes snuff.
(d) He father says that Marlow occasionally drinks too much.
8. How is Mr. Hardcastle astonished by Kate's conversation?
(a) She says that Marlow is the very image of a grand gentleman.
(b) She says that Marlow was as much a gentleman as Hastings.
(c) She says that Marlow spoke well and was very courteous.
(d) She says Marlow was timid and had a bashful manner.
9. What does Tony come running into the room to announce?
(a) That the barn is on fire.
(b) That he overheard Hastings and Constance planning an elopement.
(c) That he has Constance's jewels to give her.
(d) That his mother will not release the jewels.
10. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
(a) He says they have hard beds and sour wine.
(b) He says they have good beds and fine wine.
(c) He says there is a rumor that they steal from their guests while they sleep.
(d) He says they get their guests out of bed when the rooster crows each morning.
11. What does the landlord say about available accommodations?
(a) He says they are welcome to sleep in the barn.
(b) He says they can have the bridal suite.
(c) He says they can sit down and put their heads on a table.
(d) He says there is only one bed with three men in it already.
12. What do Hastings and Marlow believe?
(a) That they must get away from Hardcastle.
(b) That they might stay over one more night.
(c) That what Tony told them about the innkeeper is true.
(d) That Hardcastle can tell them which way to go to find Kate.
13. What admonition does Hardcastle give the servants for when guests arrive?
(a) Not to scratch themselves in public.
(b) Not to speak unless spoken to.
(c) Not to ask guests for tips.
(d) Not to pop in, stare, and run like scared rabbits.
14. How does Tony calm down Constance?
(a) He promises to find the jewels.
(b) He gives her brandy to drink.
(c) He tells her that Hastings has the jewels.
(d) He makes a joke to make her laugh.
15. After the meal problem is settled, what demands do Marlow and Hastings make?
(a) That new mattresses be placed on their beds.
(b) That they go see to the making of their beds.
(c) That their beds are positioned facing East.
(d) That their bed chambers are aired out properly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How interested is Hardcastle in politics?
2. What is Tony looking forward to in the near future?
3. What hinders Marlow from seeking a wife?
4. What is Hastings' double entendre about the calf brains on the menu?
5. When Mrs. Hardcastle tries to get Tony to say home one night, where is he planning to go?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)