|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing about the man whose name is Marlow that Kate does not particularly like?
(a) He father says that Marlow occasionally drinks too much.
(b) Her father says that Marlow is reputed to be quite vain.
(c) Her father says Marlow is reserved and shy.
(d) He father says that Marlow takes snuff.
2. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
(a) To keep his hands off the sherry.
(b) To speak in a refined manner.
(c) To walk without tripping over his feet.
(d) To see people eating at the table and not be able to eat himself.
3. Who is Hardcastle reminded of when he hears the word retreat?
(a) The Duke of Marlborough.
(b) Napoleon Bonepart.
(c) General Custer.
(d) The Earl of Bath.
4. Why does Constance not believe that Mrs. Hardcastle has lost her jewels?
(a) Because she knows where Mrs. Harcastle keeps them.
(b) Because Mrs. Hardcastle knows the value of the jewels.
(c) Because Tony told her they are not lost.
(d) Because she has them herself.
5. What suggestion is made that the landlady might do?
(a) Order them out of her house.
(b) Give them three chairs and a bolster in front of the fireplace.
(c) Let them share her bed.
(d) Make them a bed on the pub floor.
6. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
(a) That he should run him off with a pitchfork.
(b) That he cannot understand Sir Charles playing such a joke on him.
(c) That he must not let Kate meet the young man.
(d) He is the most impudent piece of brass that ever spoke with a tongue.
7. What does Hardcastle say about the servants overhearing one of his funny stories?
(a) They must not laugh out loud.
(b) They must correct him if he gets parts of them wrong.
(c) They must not comment on how many times they have heard the story.
(d) They must laugh uproarously to get the guests laughing, too.
8. What is Hardcastle's reaction when Kate enters the room?
(a) That she will hate him for recommending Marlow to her.
(b) He is pleased with the modesty of her dress as they had agreed.
(c) That she must stay in her room until Marlow departs.
(d) That she must leave at once and go to London.
9. How do Hastings and Marlow continue to ignore Hardcastle?
(a) By talking loudly to each other.
(b) By going to look out of the window.
(c) By discussing what to wear before they go on to meet Kate and Constance.
(d) By keeping their backs to him.
10. After the meal problem is settled, what demands do Marlow and Hastings make?
(a) That new mattresses be placed on their beds.
(b) That their beds are positioned facing East.
(c) That their bed chambers are aired out properly.
(d) That they go see to the making of their beds.
11. Where does Diggory say he learned how to hold his hands?
(a) In the university.
(b) In prison.
(c) In the militia.
(d) In church.
12. What is Tony's reply when Hastings asks how he managed to get the jewels?
(a) I told her you and Constance wer trying to find them and I should hide them for her.
(b) I said if she gave me the jewels I'd marry Constance.
(c) I told her I would keep them in my vault.
(d) Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no fibs.
13. What is Tony looking forward to in the near future?
(a) Being presented at court.
(b) Getting even with Kate for standing between him and Constance.
(c) Going abraod for an extended vacation.
(d) Coming into his inheritance of 1,500 pounds a year.
14. What argument does the subject of age bring up between the Hardcastles?
(a) The leaks in the roof.
(b) How long they have had the same furniture.
(c) Mrs. Hardcastle's age.
(d) The holes in the carpet.
15. What does Tony come running into the room to announce?
(a) That his mother will not release the jewels.
(b) That he has Constance's jewels to give her.
(c) That he overheard Hastings and Constance planning an elopement.
(d) That the barn is on fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Hardcastle say Marlow has to do?
2. How does Hardcastle finally get the attention of Marlow and Hastings?
3. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
4. What funny comment does Hardcastle make to the audience about the behavior of Marlow and Hastings?
5. What does Kate say about Marlow?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)