|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hardcastle enters the room, how does Marlow indicate he is dismissed?
(a) By giving him their breakfast order.
(b) By asking him to go look after their horses.
(c) By turning to Hastings and ignoring Hardcastle.
(d) By saying he will call if he needs anything.
2. How does Hardcastle say the servants are like their betters?
(a) They want some staff to be under them.
(b) They are only interested in the money.
(c) They are too concerned about their dress.
(d) They are arguing over places of importance.
3. How does Hardcastle finally get the attention of Marlow and Hastings?
(a) By talking louder.
(b) By firing a pistol.
(c) By kicking them.
(d) By mentioning sex.
4. What is Mr. Hardcastle attempting to do with his servants?
(a) Train them for fine service before Marlow arrives.
(b) Get them to work for less money.
(c) Teach them how to walk.
(d) Measure them for new uniforms.
5. What does Tony urge his mother to tell Constance about the jewels?
(a) That she will give them to her when she marries Tony.
(b) That she sold them and the money is spent.
(c) That she had them appraised and they are all fake.
(d) That they are lost and he will bear witness.
6. Hardcastle does not recognize the insults at first and attempts to do what?
(a) Advise them about their dress.
(b) Order Marlow and Hastings to sit down.
(c) Get them to sit at a table.
(d) Enter into a conversation with Marlow and Hastings.
7. What is Hastings' double entendre about the calf brains on the menu?
(a) Let your brains be knocked out, sir, I don't like them.
(b) I supposed you had only a half a brain.
(c) Do you suggest we lack brains, sir?
(d) A brain is something missing in most houses.
8. What admonition does Hardcastle give the servants for when guests arrive?
(a) Not to speak unless spoken to.
(b) Not to ask guests for tips.
(c) Not to scratch themselves in public.
(d) Not to pop in, stare, and run like scared rabbits.
9. What is Tony's one word admonition to the landlord of the pub?
(a) Don't forget!
10. Who comes to visit Kate as she is contemplating the evening and meeting Marlow?
(a) Mrs. Hardcastle wanting to know what her husband told Kate.
(b) Constance Neville, her best friend.
(c) Tony Lumpkin, her stepbrother.
(d) The maid with a glass of milk.
11. What does Hardcastle say about the servants overhearing one of his funny stories?
(a) They must not comment on how many times they have heard the story.
(b) They must not laugh out loud.
(c) They must correct him if he gets parts of them wrong.
(d) They must laugh uproarously to get the guests laughing, too.
12. What is the one thing about the man whose name is Marlow that Kate does not particularly like?
(a) Her father says that Marlow is reputed to be quite vain.
(b) He father says that Marlow takes snuff.
(c) He father says that Marlow occasionally drinks too much.
(d) Her father says Marlow is reserved and shy.
13. What is Marlow's plan for meeting Kate Hardcastle?
(a) Pretend to be a valet servant.
(b) Bow low, say yes and no, and not look at her face.
(c) Run away before she comes down.
(d) Pretend to be very ill.
14. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
(a) It looks too much like a regular house.
(b) It is well-looking and credible.
(c) It has fallen into a state of ruin.
(d) It is better than they had hoped for.
15. Where does Diggory say he learned how to hold his hands?
(a) In prison.
(b) In the university.
(c) In the militia.
(d) In church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What joke does Tony play on Hastings and Marlow?.
2. What names has Mr. Hardcastle been calling Tony for almost a year?
3. Hardcastle is stunned by their rudeness but offers what service?
4. What hinders Marlow from seeking a wife?
5. What do Hastings and Marlow believe?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)