|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
(a) To speak in a refined manner.
(b) To keep his hands off the sherry.
(c) To walk without tripping over his feet.
(d) To see people eating at the table and not be able to eat himself.
2. What is Marlow's plan for meeting Kate Hardcastle?
(a) Pretend to be a valet servant.
(b) Pretend to be very ill.
(c) Run away before she comes down.
(d) Bow low, say yes and no, and not look at her face.
3. Anxious to be off, what does Marlow ask Tony?
(a) Are there any bridges to cross?
(b) How much do you think they will charge?
(c) We are to turn right, did you say?
(d) Can we purchase some torches here?
4. What does Mr. Hardcastle tell his wife when she suggests that Tony is consumptive.
(a) Yes, if growing fat is one of the symptoms.
(b) No, wife, his clothes are too large for him.
(c) No, my dear, he's just in love.
(d) Yes, but he won't see a doctor.
5. What is Hardcastle's reaction when Kate enters the room?
(a) That she will hate him for recommending Marlow to her.
(b) He is pleased with the modesty of her dress as they had agreed.
(c) That she must leave at once and go to London.
(d) That she must stay in her room until Marlow departs.
6. What argument does the subject of age bring up between the Hardcastles?
(a) How long they have had the same furniture.
(b) Mrs. Hardcastle's age.
(c) The holes in the carpet.
(d) The leaks in the roof.
7. How does Hardcastle say the servants are like their betters?
(a) They are too concerned about their dress.
(b) They are only interested in the money.
(c) They want some staff to be under them.
(d) They are arguing over places of importance.
8. What is Mrs. Hardcastle's complaint with her husband?
(a) He doesn't dress for dinner.
(b) He has no taste in furniture.
(c) They do not travel to town now and then.
(d) They never have company come to the house.
9. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
(a) He offers Hardcastle a tip for the punch.
(b) He demands to know what's for supper.
(c) He demands to be taken to the dining room.
(d) He orders Hardcastle to unpack his bags.
10. Giving up on following Tony's directions, what does Marlow do?
(a) He says they can sleep in the carriage.
(b) He asks the landlord for a room for the night.
(c) He suggests they return to London.
(d) He tells Hastings that this is why he never stopped to ask directions.
11. What is Marlow's experience with proper young ladies?
(a) A lot of experience that always ends badly.
(b) Hardly no experience with ladies of the upper class.
(c) Only experience with his cousins.
(d) None whatsoever because he has been in all-boy schools.
12. What do Hastings and Marlow believe?
(a) That they might stay over one more night.
(b) That they must get away from Hardcastle.
(c) That what Tony told them about the innkeeper is true.
(d) That Hardcastle can tell them which way to go to find Kate.
13. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
(a) Only when she's presented at court.
(b) Only when she has paste copies of them.
(c) When she is in her forties and her beauty needs repairing.
(d) They are for looking at and not for wearing.
14. Left behind as Hardcastle and Marlow go to the bedrooms, who does Hastings see?
(a) Kate Hardcastle.
(c) Mrs. Hardcastle.
(d) Constance Neville.
15. What is Tony looking forward to in the near future?
(a) Coming into his inheritance of 1,500 pounds a year.
(b) Going abraod for an extended vacation.
(c) Being presented at court.
(d) Getting even with Kate for standing between him and Constance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Hardcastle say Marlow has to do?
2. Why is Tony suddenly brave enough to play a prank on Hardcastle and his guests.
3. As the play opens, who are the two characters who enter from the right?
4. What has Kate promised her father about her dress in the evenings?
5. What names has Mr. Hardcastle been calling Tony for almost a year?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)