|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before offering to give directions to Marlow and Hastings, what does Tony want to know?
(a) If they have an invitation to the Hardcastle mansion.
(b) If they have servants traveling with them.
(c) If they know where they are and how they got there.
(d) If they need to see Hardcastle right away.
2. Giving up on following Tony's directions, what does Marlow do?
(a) He tells Hastings that this is why he never stopped to ask directions.
(b) He says they can sleep in the carriage.
(c) He suggests they return to London.
(d) He asks the landlord for a room for the night.
3. What does the landlord say about available accommodations?
(a) He says they can sit down and put their heads on a table.
(b) He says they are welcome to sleep in the barn.
(c) He says they can have the bridal suite.
(d) He says there is only one bed with three men in it already.
4. Hardcastle does not recognize the insults at first and attempts to do what?
(a) Get them to sit at a table.
(b) Advise them about their dress.
(c) Enter into a conversation with Marlow and Hastings.
(d) Order Marlow and Hastings to sit down.
5. What is Hastings' double entendre about the calf brains on the menu?
(a) Do you suggest we lack brains, sir?
(b) Let your brains be knocked out, sir, I don't like them.
(c) I supposed you had only a half a brain.
(d) A brain is something missing in most houses.
6. Why is Mrs. Hardcastle trying to make a match between Tony and Constance?
(a) Constance stands to inherit a title.
(b) Tony has never been able to attract a woman.
(c) Tony needs to settle down before he gets too old.
(d) Constance inherited a fortune in jewels.
7. What admonition does Hardcastle give the servants for when guests arrive?
(a) Not to ask guests for tips.
(b) Not to scratch themselves in public.
(c) Not to speak unless spoken to.
(d) Not to pop in, stare, and run like scared rabbits.
8. What do Hastings and Marlow believe?
(a) That what Tony told them about the innkeeper is true.
(b) That they might stay over one more night.
(c) That Hardcastle can tell them which way to go to find Kate.
(d) That they must get away from Hardcastle.
9. Why is Tony suddenly brave enough to play a prank on Hardcastle and his guests.
(a) He is leaving for Europe soon.
(b) He has grown much larger than Hardcastle.
(c) He is soon to come into his inheritance.
(d) His mother will defend him.
10. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
(a) He offers Hardcastle a tip for the punch.
(b) He demands to know what's for supper.
(c) He orders Hardcastle to unpack his bags.
(d) He demands to be taken to the dining room.
11. Left behind as Hardcastle and Marlow go to the bedrooms, who does Hastings see?
(a) Kate Hardcastle.
(b) Constance Neville.
(c) Mrs. Hardcastle.
12. What does Hardcastle assume from Kate's comments about Marlow?
(a) That she finds him as objectionable as he does.
(b) That her judgement is failing her.
(c) That Marlow knows how to speak with a lady.
(d) That she must have met someone else.
13. What is Hardcastle's toast after passing out the punch?
(a) To send you on your way.
(b) To our better acquaintence.
(c) To good horses and fair ladies.
(d) To overlook your insolence.
14. How does Hardcastle say the servants are like their betters?
(a) They are too concerned about their dress.
(b) They are only interested in the money.
(c) They are arguing over places of importance.
(d) They want some staff to be under them.
15. How is the scene in the Three Pigeons a satire on sentimental comedy?
(a) The sentiments are only on drinking.
(b) The dialogue is high toned.
(c) The characters are all commoners and not genteel.
(d) The characters serve as a chorus as in Greek comedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Hardcastle expect from Diggory who was brought into the house from his work in the barn?
2. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
3. What is Tony's one word admonition to the landlord of the pub?
4. How does Hardcastle finally get the attention of Marlow and Hastings?
5. What is Tony's composition he leads at the Three Pigeons?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)