|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
(a) They are for looking at and not for wearing.
(b) When she is in her forties and her beauty needs repairing.
(c) Only when she's presented at court.
(d) Only when she has paste copies of them.
2. What does Mr. Hardcastle tell his wife when she suggests that Tony is consumptive.
(a) Yes, but he won't see a doctor.
(b) Yes, if growing fat is one of the symptoms.
(c) No, my dear, he's just in love.
(d) No, wife, his clothes are too large for him.
3. How is Mr. Hardcastle astonished by Kate's conversation?
(a) She says that Marlow was as much a gentleman as Hastings.
(b) She says Marlow was timid and had a bashful manner.
(c) She says that Marlow spoke well and was very courteous.
(d) She says that Marlow is the very image of a grand gentleman.
4. What does Kate say about Marlow?
(a) That he appeared to be a simpleton.
(b) That he was rude and callous and she wanted him to go away.
(c) That she expected something extraordinary and she was quite surprised by him.
(d) That she didn't know he was Hastings' best friend.
5. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
(a) He says they get their guests out of bed when the rooster crows each morning.
(b) He says they have good beds and fine wine.
(c) He says there is a rumor that they steal from their guests while they sleep.
(d) He says they have hard beds and sour wine.
6. What do Hastings and Marlow believe?
(a) That what Tony told them about the innkeeper is true.
(b) That they might stay over one more night.
(c) That they must get away from Hardcastle.
(d) That Hardcastle can tell them which way to go to find Kate.
7. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
(a) To walk without tripping over his feet.
(b) To see people eating at the table and not be able to eat himself.
(c) To keep his hands off the sherry.
(d) To speak in a refined manner.
8. Hardcastle is stunned by their rudeness but offers what service?
(a) To send out for their supper.
(b) To let them go to the kitchen and prepare their own supper.
(c) To alter anything on the menu.
(d) To feed them only bread and water.
9. What does Mrs. Hardcastle say their mansion looks like?
(a) A museum.
(b) An inn.
(c) A barracks.
(d) A barn.
10. What is Hardcastle's toast after passing out the punch?
(a) To overlook your insolence.
(b) To good horses and fair ladies.
(c) To send you on your way.
(d) To our better acquaintence.
11. How is the scene in the Three Pigeons a satire on sentimental comedy?
(a) The characters are all commoners and not genteel.
(b) The dialogue is high toned.
(c) The characters serve as a chorus as in Greek comedy.
(d) The sentiments are only on drinking.
12. What does Hastings say about Marlow in the company of women of reputation?
(a) He is a trembler looking like he wants to steal out of the room.
(b) He gets grand and ignores the women.
(c) He turns red and cannot speak.
(d) He puts on airs that the women can see right through.
13. What is Hastings' double entendre about the calf brains on the menu?
(a) A brain is something missing in most houses.
(b) I supposed you had only a half a brain.
(c) Let your brains be knocked out, sir, I don't like them.
(d) Do you suggest we lack brains, sir?
14. What does Mr. Hardcastle expect from Diggory who was brought into the house from his work in the barn?
(a) To act as doorman.
(b) To dance and entertain the guests.
(c) To make a show at the side table.
(d) To perform the duties of butler.
15. Anxious to be off, what does Marlow ask Tony?
(a) Are there any bridges to cross?
(b) We are to turn right, did you say?
(c) How much do you think they will charge?
(d) Can we purchase some torches here?
Short Answer Questions
1. What dichotomy does Marlow bewail?
2. What hinders Marlow from seeking a wife?
3. What does Mr. Hardcastle say the neighbors bring back from their trips to town?
4. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
5. What funny comment does Hardcastle make to the audience about the behavior of Marlow and Hastings?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)