|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tony calm down Constance?
(a) He gives her brandy to drink.
(b) He makes a joke to make her laugh.
(c) He tells her that Hastings has the jewels.
(d) He promises to find the jewels.
2. Anxious to be off, what does Marlow ask Tony?
(a) We are to turn right, did you say?
(b) How much do you think they will charge?
(c) Are there any bridges to cross?
(d) Can we purchase some torches here?
3. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
(a) That Constance will forget her jewels and elope with Hastings.
(b) That Marlow is madly in love with Kate.
(c) That Tony Lumpkin had nothing to do with the joke.
(d) That he is in Hardcastle's house and not an inn.
4. Hardcastle is stunned by their rudeness but offers what service?
(a) To let them go to the kitchen and prepare their own supper.
(b) To send out for their supper.
(c) To feed them only bread and water.
(d) To alter anything on the menu.
5. What is Tony's one word admonition to the landlord of the pub?
(a) Don't forget!
6. When Hardcastle enters the room, how does Marlow indicate he is dismissed?
(a) By saying he will call if he needs anything.
(b) By turning to Hastings and ignoring Hardcastle.
(c) By giving him their breakfast order.
(d) By asking him to go look after their horses.
7. What does Diggory say will be difficult for him?
(a) To speak in a refined manner.
(b) To walk without tripping over his feet.
(c) To see people eating at the table and not be able to eat himself.
(d) To keep his hands off the sherry.
8. What is Marlow's plan for meeting Kate Hardcastle?
(a) Run away before she comes down.
(b) Pretend to be very ill.
(c) Bow low, say yes and no, and not look at her face.
(d) Pretend to be a valet servant.
9. What does Tony say his mother would part with before she gave up the jewels?
(a) Her latest Paris fashions.
(b) The last sound tooth in her head.
(c) Her husband, Mr. Hardcastle.
(d) Her favorite son.
10. What funny comment does Hardcastle make to the audience about the behavior of Marlow and Hastings?
(a) No wonder Sir Charles was anxious to send his son to the country.
(b) Next thing he'll want me to fluff his pillows.
(c) If he were not Sir Charles' son, I'd send him packing.
(d) It may be modern modesty but looks like old-fashioned impudence.
11. When Mrs. Hardcastle tries to get Tony to say home one night, where is he planning to go?
(a) The theater.
(b) The Three Pigeons pub.
(c) To church.
(d) The Cock and Bull pub.
12. What is Hardcastle's reaction when Kate enters the room?
(a) That she must leave at once and go to London.
(b) He is pleased with the modesty of her dress as they had agreed.
(c) That she will hate him for recommending Marlow to her.
(d) That she must stay in her room until Marlow departs.
13. What joke does Tony play on Hastings and Marlow?.
(a) He tells them that Hardcastle and his daughter have gone to Paris.
(b) He puts something in their ale that will put them to sleep.
(c) He gives them directions to Hardcastle's house but tells them it is an inn.
(d) He sends someone out to loosen the reins on their horses.
14. Tired of humoring Hardcastle, what blunder does Marlow make?
(a) He demands to know what's for supper.
(b) He offers Hardcastle a tip for the punch.
(c) He demands to be taken to the dining room.
(d) He orders Hardcastle to unpack his bags.
15. What dichotomy does Marlow bewail?
(a) An impudent man may fake modesty, but a modest man cannot fake impudence.
(b) Low class women are not bound by the reserve of upper class women.
(c) Lower class women do not expect marriage like the upper class.
(d) You cannot pay upper class women the same as you do the lower class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of sales pitch does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter?
2. Hardcastle does not recognize the insults at first and attempts to do what?
3. How is the scene in the Three Pigeons a satire on sentimental comedy?
4. What does Hardcastle assume from Kate's comments about Marlow?
5. What comment does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter, Kate, seeing her dressed in the latest fashion.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)