|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tony calm down Constance?
(a) He makes a joke to make her laugh.
(b) He tells her that Hastings has the jewels.
(c) He gives her brandy to drink.
(d) He promises to find the jewels.
2. What does Tony say his mother would part with before she gave up the jewels?
(a) Her favorite son.
(b) Her husband, Mr. Hardcastle.
(c) Her latest Paris fashions.
(d) The last sound tooth in her head.
3. What does Kate say to Constance about her brother Tony?
(a) She says that Tony fancies he will marry a duchess.
(b) She tells Constance that Tony walks in his sleep.
(c) She says that she could almost love him for hating Constance so.
(d) She says that Tony will do anything to marry Constance.
4. What joke does Tony play on Hastings and Marlow?.
(a) He puts something in their ale that will put them to sleep.
(b) He sends someone out to loosen the reins on their horses.
(c) He tells them that Hardcastle and his daughter have gone to Paris.
(d) He gives them directions to Hardcastle's house but tells them it is an inn.
5. What do Hastings and Marlow believe?
(a) That they must get away from Hardcastle.
(b) That what Tony told them about the innkeeper is true.
(c) That they might stay over one more night.
(d) That Hardcastle can tell them which way to go to find Kate.
6. As soon as Hardcastle is out of sight, what do the servants begin saying?
(a) They say they are going back to their old jobs.
(b) They say the master has lost his mind.
(c) None of them can remember his or her job.
(d) They begin arguing over which one is most important.
7. Hardcastle does not recognize the insults at first and attempts to do what?
(a) Advise them about their dress.
(b) Get them to sit at a table.
(c) Order Marlow and Hastings to sit down.
(d) Enter into a conversation with Marlow and Hastings.
8. Giving up on following Tony's directions, what does Marlow do?
(a) He says they can sleep in the carriage.
(b) He asks the landlord for a room for the night.
(c) He tells Hastings that this is why he never stopped to ask directions.
(d) He suggests they return to London.
9. What dichotomy does Marlow bewail?
(a) You cannot pay upper class women the same as you do the lower class.
(b) Low class women are not bound by the reserve of upper class women.
(c) An impudent man may fake modesty, but a modest man cannot fake impudence.
(d) Lower class women do not expect marriage like the upper class.
10. What does the landlord say about available accommodations?
(a) He says they can have the bridal suite.
(b) He says they are welcome to sleep in the barn.
(c) He says there is only one bed with three men in it already.
(d) He says they can sit down and put their heads on a table.
11. What refreshment does Marlow ask of Hardcastle?
(a) An Irish whisky.
(b) A glass of warm punch.
(c) A gin and tonic.
(d) Milk and biscuits.
12. Where does Diggory say he learned how to hold his hands?
(a) In the militia.
(b) In church.
(c) In the university.
(d) In prison.
13. What is Tony's reply when Hastings asks how he managed to get the jewels?
(a) I told her you and Constance wer trying to find them and I should hide them for her.
(b) Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no fibs.
(c) I said if she gave me the jewels I'd marry Constance.
(d) I told her I would keep them in my vault.
14. What is Marlow's reaction when he sees the menu for the night's supper?
(a) He does not believe the menu is correct.
(b) He thinks it is rustic food.
(c) He cannot eat rich food at night.
(d) He is shocked, thinking it will be expensive.
15. What is Hardcastle's toast after passing out the punch?
(a) To good horses and fair ladies.
(b) To send you on your way.
(c) To our better acquaintence.
(d) To overlook your insolence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Constance not believe that Mrs. Hardcastle has lost her jewels?
2. When does Mrs. Hardcastle insist will be the time for Constance to wear jewels?
3. When Kate agrees to accept the young man if he asks for her hand, how does her father tease her?
4. What happens when Hardcastle hears a coach drive up in front of the house?
5. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)