|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Left behind as Hardcastle and Marlow go to the bedrooms, who does Hastings see?
(b) Constance Neville.
(c) Mrs. Hardcastle.
(d) Kate Hardcastle.
2. What suggestion is made that the landlady might do?
(a) Let them share her bed.
(b) Give them three chairs and a bolster in front of the fireplace.
(c) Make them a bed on the pub floor.
(d) Order them out of her house.
3. What has been established for Hastings in Act 3?
(a) That Marlow is madly in love with Kate.
(b) That Constance will forget her jewels and elope with Hastings.
(c) That he is in Hardcastle's house and not an inn.
(d) That Tony Lumpkin had nothing to do with the joke.
4. Where does Diggory say he learned how to hold his hands?
(a) In the militia.
(b) In the university.
(c) In prison.
(d) In church.
5. Anxious to be off, what does Marlow ask Tony?
(a) We are to turn right, did you say?
(b) Are there any bridges to cross?
(c) How much do you think they will charge?
(d) Can we purchase some torches here?
6. Who does Constance say Marlow is?
(a) The son of her father's dearest friend.
(b) The most eligable bachelor in London.
(c) A royal in line for the throne.
(d) The most intimate friend of her admirer, Mr. Hastings.
7. How do Hastings and Marlow continue to ignore Hardcastle?
(a) By keeping their backs to him.
(b) By discussing what to wear before they go on to meet Kate and Constance.
(c) By talking loudly to each other.
(d) By going to look out of the window.
8. What does Tony volunteer to do as Marlow and Hastings head out the door of the Three Pigeons?
(a) He offers to go out and point the way.
(b) He tips his hat and wishes them well.
(c) He kicks the landlord of the pub under the table.
(d) He tries hard to contain his laughter.
9. Giving up on following Tony's directions, what does Marlow do?
(a) He tells Hastings that this is why he never stopped to ask directions.
(b) He suggests they return to London.
(c) He says they can sleep in the carriage.
(d) He asks the landlord for a room for the night.
10. Who is Hardcastle reminded of when he hears the word retreat?
(a) Napoleon Bonepart.
(b) General Custer.
(c) The Duke of Marlborough.
(d) The Earl of Bath.
11. How does Hardcastle say the servants are like their betters?
(a) They are only interested in the money.
(b) They are too concerned about their dress.
(c) They are arguing over places of importance.
(d) They want some staff to be under them.
12. What is Tony's reply when Hastings asks how he managed to get the jewels?
(a) I told her I would keep them in my vault.
(b) I said if she gave me the jewels I'd marry Constance.
(c) I told her you and Constance wer trying to find them and I should hide them for her.
(d) Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no fibs.
13. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
(a) That he cannot understand Sir Charles playing such a joke on him.
(b) He is the most impudent piece of brass that ever spoke with a tongue.
(c) That he must not let Kate meet the young man.
(d) That he should run him off with a pitchfork.
14. What joke does Tony play on Hastings and Marlow?.
(a) He sends someone out to loosen the reins on their horses.
(b) He tells them that Hardcastle and his daughter have gone to Paris.
(c) He puts something in their ale that will put them to sleep.
(d) He gives them directions to Hardcastle's house but tells them it is an inn.
15. What admonition does Hardcastle give the servants for when guests arrive?
(a) Not to ask guests for tips.
(b) Not to speak unless spoken to.
(c) Not to scratch themselves in public.
(d) Not to pop in, stare, and run like scared rabbits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tony's composition he leads at the Three Pigeons?
2. What does Tony warn them of once they get to the inn?
3. Why is Tony suddenly brave enough to play a prank on Hardcastle and his guests.
4. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
5. What refreshment does Marlow ask of Hardcastle?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)