|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hardcastle expect from Diggory who was brought into the house from his work in the barn?
(a) To make a show at the side table.
(b) To perform the duties of butler.
(c) To act as doorman.
(d) To dance and entertain the guests.
2. As the play opens, who are the two characters who enter from the right?
(a) Marlow and Hastings
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Hardcastle
(c) Kate and Marlow
(d) The maid and Mrs. Hardcastle
3. Hardcastle does not recognize the insults at first and attempts to do what?
(a) Order Marlow and Hastings to sit down.
(b) Enter into a conversation with Marlow and Hastings.
(c) Get them to sit at a table.
(d) Advise them about their dress.
4. Anxious to be off, what does Marlow ask Tony?
(a) Are there any bridges to cross?
(b) We are to turn right, did you say?
(c) How much do you think they will charge?
(d) Can we purchase some torches here?
5. What is the one area of agreement between Kate and Mr. Hardcastle about Marlow?
(a) Maybe he is just tired from the long trip from London.
(b) They think they can change him to be a respectable gentleman.
(c) If he is what they saw of him on first meeting, neither of them will consent to a marriage.
(d) He is a man with a split personality.
6. Where does Diggory say he learned how to hold his hands?
(a) In the militia.
(b) In prison.
(c) In church.
(d) In the university.
7. When Marlow and Hastings enter the Three Pigeons, Marlow is complaining about the distance they came. What does Hastings say?
(a) It was because a wheel broke on the carriage and they had to haul it to London.
(b) It was because he forgot his top hat and had to go back for it.
(c) It was because he would not stop and ask directions.
(d) It was because they had no roadmap to the Hardcastle estate.
8. What is Tony's reply when Hastings asks how he managed to get the jewels?
(a) I said if she gave me the jewels I'd marry Constance.
(b) Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no fibs.
(c) I told her I would keep them in my vault.
(d) I told her you and Constance wer trying to find them and I should hide them for her.
9. How do Hastings and Marlow continue to ignore Hardcastle?
(a) By going to look out of the window.
(b) By keeping their backs to him.
(c) By talking loudly to each other.
(d) By discussing what to wear before they go on to meet Kate and Constance.
10. What is Mr. Hardcastle's response to Mrs. Hardcastle's complaining that he only likes old things.
(a) He says she will have to own that he is pretty fond of an old wife.
(b) He says she knows he just bought a new horse.
(c) He says she just does not know the value of antiques.
(d) He says she thinks anything bought last month is old.
11. Why is Mrs. Hardcastle trying to make a match between Tony and Constance?
(a) Constance inherited a fortune in jewels.
(b) Tony needs to settle down before he gets too old.
(c) Tony has never been able to attract a woman.
(d) Constance stands to inherit a title.
12. What is Tony's one word admonition to the landlord of the pub?
(a) Don't forget!
13. What reaction does Marlow and Hastings have about the mansion they suppose is an inn?
(a) It is better than they had hoped for.
(b) It looks too much like a regular house.
(c) It is well-looking and credible.
(d) It has fallen into a state of ruin.
14. What comment does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter, Kate, seeing her dressed in the latest fashion.
(a) What is wrong with the simple country dress?
(b) The indigent world could be clothed out of the trimmings of the vain.
(c) Have you turned to be like Mrs. Hardcastle?
(d) There's enough silk in that gown to make two.
15. What is Hastings' double entendre about the calf brains on the menu?
(a) I supposed you had only a half a brain.
(b) Let your brains be knocked out, sir, I don't like them.
(c) A brain is something missing in most houses.
(d) Do you suggest we lack brains, sir?
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
2. What joke does Tony play on Hastings and Marlow?.
3. What does Tony urge his mother to tell Constance about the jewels?
4. What does Mrs. Hardcastle say their mansion looks like?
5. What names has Mr. Hardcastle been calling Tony for almost a year?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)