Act 1, Scene 1
• Mr. and Mrs. Hardcastle disagree on the importance of visiting the city and putting modern furniture in their house.
• Mrs. Hardcastle says that their house looks like an inn rather than the fine mansion of a prosperous man.
• Mrs. Hardcastle praises her son from a previous marriage and Mr. Hardcastle calls him a prankster, but Mrs. Hardcastle says Tony is just high spirited.
• Tony has plans to go to the pub that evening and Mrs. Hardcastle attempts to get him to stay because they are expecting gentlemen callers from London.
• After Tony leaves, Kate enters. She is Mr. Hardcastle's daughter and is dressed in expensive clothes.
• Mr. Hardcastle comments on her clothes but reminds her that it is his wish to see her dressed more modestly at home.
• Kate reminds her father of their agreement that she can dress up to visit her friends during the...
This section contains 2,761 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)