Act 1, Scene 1
• Mr. and Mrs. Hardcastle disagree on the importance of visiting the city and putting modern furniture in their house.
• Mrs. Hardcastle says that their house looks like an inn rather than the fine mansion of a prosperous man.
• Mrs. Hardcastle praises her son from a previous marriage and Mr. Hardcastle calls him a prankster, but Mrs. Hardcastle says Tony is just high spirited.
• Tony has plans to go to the pub that evening and Mrs. Hardcastle attempts to get him to stay because they are expecting gentlemen callers from London.
• After Tony leaves, Kate enters. She is Mr. Hardcastle's daughter and is dressed in expensive clothes.
• Mr. Hardcastle comments on her clothes but reminds her that it is his wish to see her dressed more modestly at home.
• Kate reminds her father of their agreement that she can dress up to visit her friends during the...
This section contains 2,555 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)