|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was democracy considered in the 18th century?
2. By 1800, what percent of the Philadelphia labor force were indentured servants?
3. When was the Virgina constitution written?
4. Who strove to undermine the gentry's distinctiveness and privileges by emphasizing their similarity to common people?
5. The "Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation" was a key document for which man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was hoped to replace fear and favor in enlightened colonial American society? How would the replacement be manifested?
2. What was the reason for the American 'economic miracle' of the 19th century?
3. On what precept was freemasonry organized?
4. What social conditions which normally precipitate a revolution were absent during the American Revolution?
5. How did early Americans' views of the government change after the Revolution?
6. How was liberalism measured during the Enlightenment?
7. In colonial America, how did the meaning of the word civility change in the last half of the 18th century?
8. Why have historians criticized John Hancock?
9. By the end of the 18th century, what was the source of the American aristocracy's downfall?
10. What does this quote mean? "Idolatry to Monarchs, and servility to Aristocratic Pride was never so totally eradicated from so many in so short a time."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the Revolution, many believed that Americans' morals were being polluted and their liberties already eroding. Blame was placed on the influence of the French Revolution. Explain why the French Revolution was blamed and specifically how they influenced and affected American society. Give your opinion of the accusations, and the reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the vertical structure of society under the monarchy to the envisioned horizontal structure that would result from the revolution.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the 19th century, what massive economic changes took place that affected the mind and character of Americans? Include technology, transportation, and commerce in your explanation.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)