|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did conservatives say caused the degeneration of standards that were tainting America?
2. Who headed the revolutionary committee in Savannah, Georgia when the Revolution began?
3. Who said he didn't know how to keep America from "sliding down into the mire of democracy"?
4. What was the main source of instability and anxiety in revolutionary America?
5. Who said, "Idolatry to Monarchs and servility of Aristocratic Pride was never so totally eradicated from so many in so short a time"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Constitution of 1787 suppose to mitigate?
2. What influence did George Washington exert at the Philadelphia Convention of 1787?
3. What social conditions which normally precipitate a revolution were absent during the American Revolution?
4. Why have historians criticized John Hancock?
5. What was hoped to replace fear and favor in enlightened colonial American society? How would the replacement be manifested?
6. By the end of the 18th century, what was the source of the American aristocracy's downfall?
7. What was the reason for the American 'economic miracle' of the 19th century?
8. Towards the end of the 18th century and beginning of the 19th century, what was the result of Americans believing that every man was his own moral agent who was his own master in all respects and could dispose himself as he wished?
9. How did early Americans' views of the government change after the Revolution?
10. How did the numerous bankruptcies and financial collapses of the 1790s contribute to the democratization of America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was James Guild's rise from humble origins to respectability typical of the American dream? What were the steps of his journey and how did they typify the hopes of other humbly born Americans?
Essay Topic 2
How was the paternal, face-to-face nature of early colonial American society demonstrated by Henry Laurens' acts during the Stamp Act riot in 1765? What specifically did he do and what was the reaction of the rioters? How did the outcome reveal the intact hierarchical structure?
Essay Topic 3
In the final years of his life, Thomas Jefferson was in despair over the direction America was taking. What did he hate about the changing nation? What did he see as regression rather than progress? What future did he foresee?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)