|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the late 1760s, who dismissed people's right to participate in government if they didn't have a liberal arts education?
2. In the 1790s, who labeled gentry as men of idleness, extravagance, and dissipation?
3. Who had an international reputation as a hero in the 1780s?
4. Where was the first county fair held?
5. By 1820, which territories had doubled the size of America?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the signing of the Declaration of Independence, why did the revolutionary leaders almost immediately begin to doubt that their hope of a utopian America would be realized?
2. What did the American westward movement of the early 19th century do to traditional forms of social organization?
3. Why was it impossible for Christianity to be the one means of unifying America at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries?
4. How was liberalism measured during the Enlightenment?
5. Why did American office holders from 1776 on urge their republican governments to not only pay salaries but to keep raising them?
6. What influence did George Washington exert at the Philadelphia Convention of 1787?
7. How did the numerous bankruptcies and financial collapses of the 1790s contribute to the democratization of America?
8. On what precept was freemasonry organized?
9. Why have historians criticized John Hancock?
10. Towards the end of the 18th century and beginning of the 19th century, what was the result of Americans believing that every man was his own moral agent who was his own master in all respects and could dispose himself as he wished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the final years of his life, Thomas Jefferson was in despair over the direction America was taking. What did he hate about the changing nation? What did he see as regression rather than progress? What future did he foresee?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the life and leisure of the aristocracy to the life and labor of the common people in colonial America before the revolution.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the 18th century, colonial society was only a pale reflection of British society. American patronage and hierarchies were unstable. Explain how some aspects of American society were striving to emulate their British counterparts while at the same time other powerful republican forces in society were attempting to change the very fabric of colonial America.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)