|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Boston merchants were named in the Massachusetts Banishment Act of 1778?
2. What became a surrogate religion for colonial Americans suspicious of traditional Christianity?
3. What year was the Continental Congress?
4. Who said, "the attracting force of universal love" existed in all people?
5. In 1787, who said America lacked cohesion?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what precept was freemasonry organized?
2. Why were the American gentry alarmed at the desire of the common people to share in the conduct of the government?
3. How did the opinion of a traditional gentleman's assumption of leisure change towards the end of the 18th century?
4. What influence did George Washington exert at the Philadelphia Convention of 1787?
5. What was hoped to replace fear and favor in enlightened colonial American society? How would the replacement be manifested?
6. By the end of the 18th century, what was the source of the American aristocracy's downfall?
7. Why was it impossible for Christianity to be the one means of unifying America at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries?
8. Why did American office holders from 1776 on urge their republican governments to not only pay salaries but to keep raising them?
9. After the signing of the Declaration of Independence, why did the revolutionary leaders almost immediately begin to doubt that their hope of a utopian America would be realized?
10. What was the reason for the American 'economic miracle' of the 19th century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the paternal, face-to-face nature of early colonial American society demonstrated by Henry Laurens' acts during the Stamp Act riot in 1765? What specifically did he do and what was the reaction of the rioters? How did the outcome reveal the intact hierarchical structure?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how English aristocrats dominated and sustained their localities with how American aristocrats related to their localities.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the vertical structure of society under the monarchy to the envisioned horizontal structure that would result from the revolution.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)