|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What most alarmed the American colonial gentry of the 1760s and 1770s?
2. How many loyalists left the colonies during the revolution?
3. Who called traditional ties of a monarchical society "bonds of blood, family, and personal influence"?
4. When was the Virgina constitution written?
5. Whose play "Cato" taught George Washington what it meant to be liberal and virtuous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it impossible for Christianity to be the one means of unifying America at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries?
2. According to John Toland, what is the difference between a man who is free and one who is dependent?
3. By the end of the 18th century, what was the source of the American aristocracy's downfall?
4. What was the reason for the American 'economic miracle' of the 19th century?
5. What social conditions which normally precipitate a revolution were absent during the American Revolution?
6. Why were the American gentry alarmed at the desire of the common people to share in the conduct of the government?
7. What does this quote mean? "Idolatry to Monarchs, and servility to Aristocratic Pride was never so totally eradicated from so many in so short a time."
8. How did the opinion of a traditional gentleman's assumption of leisure change towards the end of the 18th century?
9. What was the Constitution of 1787 suppose to mitigate?
10. What influence did George Washington exert at the Philadelphia Convention of 1787?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the life and leisure of the aristocracy to the life and labor of the common people in colonial America before the revolution.
Essay Topic 2
Contrast American competition for public office with that kind of competition in England. What about the new American government led to the differences? How did political parties exacerbate the competition? How did politicians' ultimate view of office differ from the British view of office?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the vertical structure of society under the monarchy to the envisioned horizontal structure that would result from the revolution.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)