|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said about Americans that their "universal roar is Commerce"?
2. Whose play "Cato" taught George Washington what it meant to be liberal and virtuous?
3. In 1787, who said America lacked cohesion?
4. Who said that the mind could be cultivated like a garden?
5. Who said that after the revolution people were changed form subjects to citizens?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how English aristocrats dominated and sustained their localities with how American aristocrats related to their localities.
Essay Topic 2
The revolutionaries' desire had been to remove all private interests from government, but by the 1790s private interest so pervaded Congress and statehouses that Americans found it almost impossible to conceive of disinterested officials. Using Timothy Ford's example of dealings in South Carolina, explain how special interests replaced the original republican goals of keeping private interests out of the government.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the life and leisure of the aristocracy to the life and labor of the common people in colonial America before the revolution.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)