|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The "Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation" was a key document for which man?
2. Who drew up the Virginia Declaration of Rights?
3. Who said, "We see with other eyes; we hear with other ears"?
4. In the 1790s, who proclaimed that every man and woman in every society ought to work?
5. Who wrote "The Religion of Nature Delineated"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The revolutionaries' desire had been to remove all private interests from government, but by the 1790s private interest so pervaded Congress and statehouses that Americans found it almost impossible to conceive of disinterested officials. Using Timothy Ford's example of dealings in South Carolina, explain how special interests replaced the original republican goals of keeping private interests out of the government.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how English aristocrats dominated and sustained their localities with how American aristocrats related to their localities.
Essay Topic 3
How was the paternal, face-to-face nature of early colonial American society demonstrated by Henry Laurens' acts during the Stamp Act riot in 1765? What specifically did he do and what was the reaction of the rioters? How did the outcome reveal the intact hierarchical structure?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)