|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1790s, who labeled gentry as men of idleness, extravagance, and dissipation?
2. When did Americans begin to call for the boycotting of British goods?
3. Who said that "Benevolence is the Cement and Support of . . . the Great Community of mankind"?
4. Whose play "Cato" taught George Washington what it meant to be liberal and virtuous?
5. By 1820, which territories had doubled the size of America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this quote mean? "Idolatry to Monarchs, and servility to Aristocratic Pride was never so totally eradicated from so many in so short a time."
2. How did the opinion of a traditional gentleman's assumption of leisure change towards the end of the 18th century?
3. How did the numerous bankruptcies and financial collapses of the 1790s contribute to the democratization of America?
4. After the signing of the Declaration of Independence, why did the revolutionary leaders almost immediately begin to doubt that their hope of a utopian America would be realized?
5. How was liberalism measured during the Enlightenment?
6. Why was it impossible for Christianity to be the one means of unifying America at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries?
7. What did individual independence mean to revolutionaries?
8. What was the Constitution of 1787 suppose to mitigate?
9. Towards the end of the 18th century and beginning of the 19th century, what was the result of Americans believing that every man was his own moral agent who was his own master in all respects and could dispose himself as he wished?
10. Why have historians criticized John Hancock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Samuel Blodget taught that common economic interest was the best adhesive a society could have. Explain Blodget's four 'social ties' and how they related to 19th century American economy.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the 19th century, what massive economic changes took place that affected the mind and character of Americans? Include technology, transportation, and commerce in your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how English aristocrats dominated and sustained their localities with how American aristocrats related to their localities.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)