|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said that after the revolution people were changed form subjects to citizens?
2. What was the population of America in 1810?
3. What year was the Continental Congress?
4. Who said that "Benevolence is the Cement and Support of . . . the Great Community of mankind"?
5. How many loyalists left the colonies during the revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did early Americans' views of the government change after the Revolution?
2. What did individual independence mean to revolutionaries?
3. What was the Constitution of 1787 suppose to mitigate?
4. What was the reason for the American 'economic miracle' of the 19th century?
5. After the signing of the Declaration of Independence, why did the revolutionary leaders almost immediately begin to doubt that their hope of a utopian America would be realized?
6. What does this quote mean? "Idolatry to Monarchs, and servility to Aristocratic Pride was never so totally eradicated from so many in so short a time."
7. How did the numerous bankruptcies and financial collapses of the 1790s contribute to the democratization of America?
8. What influence did George Washington exert at the Philadelphia Convention of 1787?
9. Why did American office holders from 1776 on urge their republican governments to not only pay salaries but to keep raising them?
10. What was hoped to replace fear and favor in enlightened colonial American society? How would the replacement be manifested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Contrast American competition for public office with that kind of competition in England. What about the new American government led to the differences? How did political parties exacerbate the competition? How did politicians' ultimate view of office differ from the British view of office?
Essay Topic 2
What considerations and decisions by others and George Washington, himself, led to Washington's nomination to be President?
Essay Topic 3
In the final years of his life, Thomas Jefferson was in despair over the direction America was taking. What did he hate about the changing nation? What did he see as regression rather than progress? What future did he foresee?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)