|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the main source of instability and anxiety in revolutionary America?
2. What eventually became the sole criterion for the political worth of a person?
3. Who said that the mind could be cultivated like a garden?
4. Who drew up the Virginia Declaration of Rights?
5. Who believed progress and social harmony would result from the enlightened conclusion of the new American society?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it impossible for Christianity to be the one means of unifying America at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries?
2. In colonial America, how did the meaning of the word civility change in the last half of the 18th century?
3. Why were the American gentry alarmed at the desire of the common people to share in the conduct of the government?
4. What was the reason for the American 'economic miracle' of the 19th century?
5. What does this quote mean? "Idolatry to Monarchs, and servility to Aristocratic Pride was never so totally eradicated from so many in so short a time."
6. After the signing of the Declaration of Independence, why did the revolutionary leaders almost immediately begin to doubt that their hope of a utopian America would be realized?
7. What social conditions which normally precipitate a revolution were absent during the American Revolution?
8. How did the numerous bankruptcies and financial collapses of the 1790s contribute to the democratization of America?
9. How did the opinion of a traditional gentleman's assumption of leisure change towards the end of the 18th century?
10. According to John Toland, what is the difference between a man who is free and one who is dependent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the early 19th century, how were the productive classes, those people working in a useful occupation, looked upon? How was the definition of work changed from the beginning of the 18th century? What virtue did work now imply?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the monarchical power in England's government with its power in the colonial government before the revolution.
Essay Topic 3
How did the republicanism of the English constitution make the English monarchy unique among the other European monarchies and hold both monarchical and republican values together in the English culture?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)