|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bought the small planters tobacco crops rather than taking them on consignment?
2. How are people regarded in a hierarchical society?
3. What did classical republican ideals lay the foundation for?
4. What was the status of an indentured servant in colonial America?
5. How were superiors, magistrates, and masters to be honored?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bernard Mandeville and David Hume feel about the common people buying luxuries?
2. How was republicanism defined at the time of the American Revolution?
3. What was the relationship of farmers and merchants in colonial America?
4. Before the revolution, what did the aristocracy think of the common people?
5. How did colonial inland trade change after 1745?
6. How was patriarchy within the colonial family unit challenged during the 18th century?
7. Give examples of the patronage Ben Franklin practiced when he became Deputy Postmaster General of North America.
8. What did the British conquest of the French in 1759 and the subsequent peace in 1763 do to colonial expansion?
9. What were the distinctions between colonial American aristocracy and British aristocracy?
10. How did wealthy commoners in the colonies try to gain status as gentlemen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the 19th century, what massive economic changes took place that affected the mind and character of Americans? Include technology, transportation, and commerce in your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
How did the American Revolution change the American people? Specifically, what is the difference between a person who is subject to a monarch and one who is a citizen in a republican nation?
Essay Topic 3
By the early 19th century, how were the productive classes, those people working in a useful occupation, looked upon? How was the definition of work changed from the beginning of the 18th century? What virtue did work now imply?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)