|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was critical to the success of colonial American office holders?
2. What did monarchists hold as extremely important?
3. Who vigorously denounced the Stamp Act riots in 1765?
4. What was the highest level of knowledge of a trade in colonial America?
5. Historically, what do good Englishmen do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the family household in colonial America the place where most work was done?
2. In colonial America, what was an entailed estate?
3. How did Bernard Mandeville and David Hume feel about the common people buying luxuries?
4. Before the revolution, what did the aristocracy think of the common people?
5. How was individual governmental service defined under the monarchy?
6. What was the thinking of many colonial American Protestants towards child rearing?
7. What was the relationship of farmers and merchants in colonial America?
8. What would a colonist do if someone spoke publicly against him?
9. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
10. How had the definition of aristocracy in colonial America changed by the 18th century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the 18th century, colonial society was only a pale reflection of British society. American patronage and hierarchies were unstable. Explain how some aspects of American society were striving to emulate their British counterparts while at the same time other powerful republican forces in society were attempting to change the very fabric of colonial America.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the monarchical power in England's government with its power in the colonial government before the revolution.
Essay Topic 3
How did the republicanism of the English constitution make the English monarchy unique among the other European monarchies and hold both monarchical and republican values together in the English culture?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)