Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Ben Franklin quartered when he sailed to England in 1724?
2. Who bought the small planters tobacco crops rather than taking them on consignment?
3. What did the colonial American courts treat more seriously than violent acts?
4. What relationship did the British farmer have with the land he worked?
5. Who was the head of a colonial household?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did American office holders from 1776 on urge their republican governments to not only pay salaries but to keep raising them?
2. Why were the American gentry alarmed at the desire of the common people to share in the conduct of the government?
3. How did the opinion of a traditional gentleman's assumption of leisure change towards the end of the 18th century?
4. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
5. Why have historians criticized John Hancock?
6. What influence did George Washington exert at the Philadelphia Convention of 1787?
7. What did the British conquest of the French in 1759 and the subsequent peace in 1763 do to colonial expansion?
8. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
9. What happened in literature following Britain's Glorious Revolution of 1688?
10. What did John Locke write about child rearing?
Essay Topic 1
Explain how family networks in the colonies were used in politics. Cite the details of one specific family from the book and give descriptions of the network that generally apply.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the life and leisure of the aristocracy to the life and labor of the common people in colonial America before the revolution.
Essay Topic 3
In the final years of his life, Thomas Jefferson was in despair over the direction America was taking. What did he hate about the changing nation? What did he see as regression rather than progress? What future did he foresee?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)