|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote about the irreligious "Wild Woods" of the Carolina back country?
2. What spending trend in colonial America did social conservatives condemn?
3. How were superiors, magistrates, and masters to be honored?
4. In the American colonies, what was the euphemistic name for every kind of personal connection, even if inherently unequal?
5. Who was the most popular and powerful man in Massachusetts during the last quarter of the 18th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. In colonial America, what was the purpose of the pillory or whipping post?
2. Before the revolution, what did the aristocracy think of the common people?
3. How was republicanism defined at the time of the American Revolution?
4. What was the relationship of farmers and merchants in colonial America?
5. What did John Locke write about child rearing?
6. What was the thinking of many colonial American Protestants towards child rearing?
7. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
8. What was the responsibility of the government under a monarchy?
9. What happened in literature following Britain's Glorious Revolution of 1688?
10. What was characteristic of economic exchanges in colonial America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The monarchy's social cement of family, force, patronage, and dependence had made it powerful. After the revolution, what new social adhesive in colonial America replaced the monarchy? How was this replacement accomplished?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the life and leisure of the aristocracy to the life and labor of the common people in colonial America before the revolution.
Essay Topic 3
How did the republicanism of the English constitution make the English monarchy unique among the other European monarchies and hold both monarchical and republican values together in the English culture?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)