Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Ben Franklin quartered when he sailed to England in 1724?
2. Who bought the small planters tobacco crops rather than taking them on consignment?
3. What did the colonial American courts treat more seriously than violent acts?
4. What relationship did the British farmer have with the land he worked?
5. Who was the head of a colonial household?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did American office holders from 1776 on urge their republican governments to not only pay salaries but to keep raising them?
2. Why were the American gentry alarmed at the desire of the common people to share in the conduct of the government?
3. How did the opinion of a traditional gentleman's assumption of leisure change towards the end of the 18th century?
4. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
5. Why have historians criticized John Hancock?
6. What influence did George Washington exert at the Philadelphia Convention of 1787?
7. What did the British conquest of the French in 1759 and the subsequent peace in 1763 do to colonial expansion?
8. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
9. What happened in literature following Britain's Glorious Revolution of 1688?
10. What did John Locke write about child rearing?
How was the paternal, face-to-face nature of early colonial American society demonstrated by Henry Laurens' acts during the Stamp Act riot in 1765? What specifically did he do and what was the reaction of the rioters? How did the outcome reveal the intact hierarchical structure?
Samuel Blodget taught that common economic interest was the best adhesive a society could have. Explain Blodget's four 'social ties' and how they related to 19th century American economy.
Explain how family networks in the colonies were used in politics. Cite the details of one specific family from the book and give descriptions of the network that generally apply.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)