|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What supported the colonial southern plantations that made networks of influence unnecessary?
2. What was the highest level of knowledge of a trade in colonial America?
3. What kinds of laws were proposed in colonial America to curb spending?
4. What would eventually secure the people's right to participate in government?
5. Who was an important patron of Ben Franklin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was republicanism defined at the time of the American Revolution?
2. In colonial America, what was the purpose of the pillory or whipping post?
3. What was the responsibility of the government under a monarchy?
4. How was mid-18th century colonial America a traditional society?
5. What happened in literature following Britain's Glorious Revolution of 1688?
6. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
7. What did the British conquest of the French in 1759 and the subsequent peace in 1763 do to colonial expansion?
8. How did gentry families try to emulate English nobility?
9. Give examples of the patronage Ben Franklin practiced when he became Deputy Postmaster General of North America.
10. How did colonial inland trade change after 1745?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Contrast American competition for public office with that kind of competition in England. What about the new American government led to the differences? How did political parties exacerbate the competition? How did politicians' ultimate view of office differ from the British view of office?
Essay Topic 2
By the early 19th century, how were the productive classes, those people working in a useful occupation, looked upon? How was the definition of work changed from the beginning of the 18th century? What virtue did work now imply?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the life and leisure of the aristocracy to the life and labor of the common people in colonial America before the revolution.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)