|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are people regarded in a hierarchical society?
2. Where was Ben Franklin quartered when he sailed to England in 1724?
3. Who argued that Britain was an unnatural parent?
4. What was Philadelphia's approximate population in 1760?
5. How was high office in colonial America considered?
Short Essay Questions
1. In colonial America, what was the purpose of the pillory or whipping post?
2. Why did colonists so eagerly desire titles or distinctions?
3. How did religion in colonial America support the authority and order of the monarchy?
4. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
5. What happened in literature following Britain's Glorious Revolution of 1688?
6. Why was the family household in colonial America the place where most work was done?
7. What would a colonist do if someone spoke publicly against him?
8. In small face-to-face colonial society, give two examples of how official and personal affairs combined.
9. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
10. What was the thinking of many colonial American Protestants towards child rearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the 19th century, what massive economic changes took place that affected the mind and character of Americans? Include technology, transportation, and commerce in your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the vertical structure of society under the monarchy to the envisioned horizontal structure that would result from the revolution.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the life and leisure of the aristocracy to the life and labor of the common people in colonial America before the revolution.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)