|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was poverty considered a virtue for common colonial people?
2. What happened in colonial America when Connecticut tried to annex Pennsylvania?
3. In the American colonies, what was the euphemistic name for every kind of personal connection, even if inherently unequal?
4. Who must yield power for a government to be good?
5. In colonial America, what outweighed the concern for family lineage?
Short Essay Questions
1. In small face-to-face colonial society, give two examples of how official and personal affairs combined.
2. What did the British conquest of the French in 1759 and the subsequent peace in 1763 do to colonial expansion?
3. What did John Locke write about child rearing?
4. How did religion in colonial America support the authority and order of the monarchy?
5. What was the thinking of many colonial American Protestants towards child rearing?
6. What was the golden age of Roman literature?
7. What would a colonist do if someone spoke publicly against him?
8. How was the term 'gentleman' redefined in the 16th century?
9. How had the definition of aristocracy in colonial America changed by the 18th century?
10. How did gentry families try to emulate English nobility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the republicanism of the English constitution make the English monarchy unique among the other European monarchies and hold both monarchical and republican values together in the English culture?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the life and leisure of the aristocracy to the life and labor of the common people in colonial America before the revolution.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the monarchical power in England's government with its power in the colonial government before the revolution.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)