|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the highest class of British society called?
2. Why was poverty considered a virtue for common colonial people?
3. What relationship did the American farmer have with the land he worked?
4. What is one way republicans are different from monarchists?
5. Who vigorously denounced the Stamp Act riots in 1765?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the difference between morality under a republic rather than a monarchy?
2. How was republicanism defined at the time of the American Revolution?
3. How had the definition of aristocracy in colonial America changed by the 18th century?
4. What did the British conquest of the French in 1759 and the subsequent peace in 1763 do to colonial expansion?
5. How did religion in colonial America support the authority and order of the monarchy?
6. In small face-to-face colonial society, give two examples of how official and personal affairs combined.
7. What would a colonist do if someone spoke publicly against him?
8. How did colonial inland trade change after 1745?
9. How did colonial imports of British goods change the twenty-five years before the Revolution?
10. How was family defined in colonial America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the American Revolution change the American people? Specifically, what is the difference between a person who is subject to a monarch and one who is a citizen in a republican nation?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the 18th century, colonial society was only a pale reflection of British society. American patronage and hierarchies were unstable. Explain how some aspects of American society were striving to emulate their British counterparts while at the same time other powerful republican forces in society were attempting to change the very fabric of colonial America.
Essay Topic 3
How did the republicanism of the English constitution make the English monarchy unique among the other European monarchies and hold both monarchical and republican values together in the English culture?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)