|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of northern colonists were aristocrats?
2. In colonial America, what was done with a political effigy?
3. How did colonial Americans look on black slavery?
4. In the 18th century, what did the golden age of Roman literature speak about?
5. What was the highest level of knowledge of a trade in colonial America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the difference between morality under a republic rather than a monarchy?
2. Describe the different categories of merchants in colonial America.
3. In times of war, how were aristocratic soldiers treated differently than common soldiers?
4. How was the term 'gentleman' redefined in the 16th century?
5. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
6. How did early Americans' views of the government change after the Revolution?
7. Why was it impossible for Christianity to be the one means of unifying America at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries?
8. What happened in literature following Britain's Glorious Revolution of 1688?
9. Why were the American gentry alarmed at the desire of the common people to share in the conduct of the government?
10. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Hutchinson, a colonial magistrate and the royal governor of the Massachusetts Bay colony during the Boston Tea Party, was one of the most learned and refined men in all of North America. By the early 1770s he was thoroughly hated by the colonists. Explain his colonial history until just before the Revolution and enumerate the reasons he was so hated and his reactions to those who hated him.
Essay Topic 2
How was James Guild's rise from humble origins to respectability typical of the American dream? What were the steps of his journey and how did they typify the hopes of other humbly born Americans?
Essay Topic 3
How did the American Revolution change the American people? Specifically, what is the difference between a person who is subject to a monarch and one who is a citizen in a republican nation?
This section contains 1,528 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)