|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was intermarriage and inbreeding looked upon by colonial gentry?
2. How did Colonel Landon Carter express his confusion about child rearing in colonial society?
3. In colonial America, how did parents view their power as parents?
4. Who wrote about the irreligious "Wild Woods" of the Carolina back country?
5. What kind of colonial churches dominated the first third of the 18th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did wealthy commoners in the colonies try to gain status as gentlemen?
2. How was the term 'gentleman' redefined in the 16th century?
3. In times of war, how were aristocratic soldiers treated differently than common soldiers?
4. How was individual governmental service defined under the monarchy?
5. Give examples of the patronage Ben Franklin practiced when he became Deputy Postmaster General of North America.
6. How did colonial imports of British goods change the twenty-five years before the Revolution?
7. How was republicanism defined at the time of the American Revolution?
8. How had the definition of aristocracy in colonial America changed by the 18th century?
9. How did colonial inland trade change after 1745?
10. In small face-to-face colonial society, give two examples of how official and personal affairs combined.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the vertical structure of society under the monarchy to the envisioned horizontal structure that would result from the revolution.
Essay Topic 2
The monarchy's social cement of family, force, patronage, and dependence had made it powerful. After the revolution, what new social adhesive in colonial America replaced the monarchy? How was this replacement accomplished?
Essay Topic 3
What considerations and decisions by others and George Washington, himself, led to Washington's nomination to be President?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)