Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Ben Franklin quartered when he sailed to England in 1724?
2. Who bought the small planters tobacco crops rather than taking them on consignment?
3. What did the colonial American courts treat more seriously than violent acts?
4. What relationship did the British farmer have with the land he worked?
5. Who was the head of a colonial household?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did American office holders from 1776 on urge their republican governments to not only pay salaries but to keep raising them?
2. Why were the American gentry alarmed at the desire of the common people to share in the conduct of the government?
3. How did the opinion of a traditional gentleman's assumption of leisure change towards the end of the 18th century?
4. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
5. Why have historians criticized John Hancock?
6. What influence did George Washington exert at the Philadelphia Convention of 1787?
7. What did the British conquest of the French in 1759 and the subsequent peace in 1763 do to colonial expansion?
8. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
9. What happened in literature following Britain's Glorious Revolution of 1688?
10. What did John Locke write about child rearing?
Essay Topic 1
How did the American Revolution change the American people? Specifically, what is the difference between a person who is subject to a monarch and one who is a citizen in a republican nation?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Hutchinson, a colonial magistrate and the royal governor of the Massachusetts Bay colony during the Boston Tea Party, was one of the most learned and refined men in all of North America. By the early 1770s he was thoroughly hated by the colonists. Explain his colonial history until just before the Revolution and enumerate the reasons he was so hated and his reactions to those who hated him.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how English aristocrats dominated and sustained their localities with how American aristocrats related to their localities.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)