|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Originally in colonial America, how were gentlemen to treat inferiors and subordinates?
2. What did Ben Franklin identify as the central political problems of his time?
3. What relationship did the American farmer have with the land he worked?
4. Why was poverty considered a virtue for common colonial people?
5. What was the status of an indentured servant in colonial America?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the term 'gentleman' redefined in the 16th century?
2. How did wealthy commoners in the colonies try to gain status as gentlemen?
3. How did religion in colonial America support the authority and order of the monarchy?
4. How was individual governmental service defined under the monarchy?
5. How was family defined in colonial America?
6. In small face-to-face colonial society, give two examples of how official and personal affairs combined.
7. What did the British conquest of the French in 1759 and the subsequent peace in 1763 do to colonial expansion?
8. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
9. In colonial America, what was an entailed estate?
10. What was the thinking of many colonial American Protestants towards child rearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The monarchy's social cement of family, force, patronage, and dependence had made it powerful. After the revolution, what new social adhesive in colonial America replaced the monarchy? How was this replacement accomplished?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the life and leisure of the aristocracy to the life and labor of the common people in colonial America before the revolution.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the monarchical power in England's government with its power in the colonial government before the revolution.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)