|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In colonial America, what was absent between centralized and local authorities?
2. At the middle of the 18th century, what did many revolutionary leaders feel the colonies still needed?
3. What relationship did the British farmer have with the land he worked?
4. In colonial America, how did parents view their power as parents?
5. In the American colonies, what was the euphemistic name for every kind of personal connection, even if inherently unequal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Constitution of 1787 suppose to mitigate?
2. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
3. What happened in literature following Britain's Glorious Revolution of 1688?
4. What was hoped to replace fear and favor in enlightened colonial American society? How would the replacement be manifested?
5. What was the responsibility of the government under a monarchy?
6. What does this quote mean? "Idolatry to Monarchs, and servility to Aristocratic Pride was never so totally eradicated from so many in so short a time."
7. According to John Toland, what is the difference between a man who is free and one who is dependent?
8. How did wealthy commoners in the colonies try to gain status as gentlemen?
9. Before the revolution, what did the aristocracy think of the common people?
10. How was republicanism defined at the time of the American Revolution?
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the 19th century, what massive economic changes took place that affected the mind and character of Americans? Include technology, transportation, and commerce in your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the vertical structure of society under the monarchy to the envisioned horizontal structure that would result from the revolution.
Essay Topic 3
How did the American Revolution change the American people? Specifically, what is the difference between a person who is subject to a monarch and one who is a citizen in a republican nation?
This section contains 1,453 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)