|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the ideology of the Enlightenment?
2. What did Ben Franklin say about government?
3. Who did the American colonists blame when the wrong people held office?
4. What was it called when Ben Franklin appointed his friends and family to official positions after he became Deputy Postmaster General of North America?
5. In colonial America, what was absent between centralized and local authorities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
2. How was family defined in colonial America?
3. In colonial America, what was an entailed estate?
4. What was characteristic of economic exchanges in colonial America?
5. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
6. What was the relationship of farmers and merchants in colonial America?
7. Describe the different categories of merchants in colonial America.
8. How was individual governmental service defined under the monarchy?
9. How did colonial imports of British goods change the twenty-five years before the Revolution?
10. What was the golden age of Roman literature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the 18th century, colonial society was only a pale reflection of British society. American patronage and hierarchies were unstable. Explain how some aspects of American society were striving to emulate their British counterparts while at the same time other powerful republican forces in society were attempting to change the very fabric of colonial America.
Essay Topic 2
How was the paternal, face-to-face nature of early colonial American society demonstrated by Henry Laurens' acts during the Stamp Act riot in 1765? What specifically did he do and what was the reaction of the rioters? How did the outcome reveal the intact hierarchical structure?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the 19th century, what massive economic changes took place that affected the mind and character of Americans? Include technology, transportation, and commerce in your explanation.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)