|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote about the irreligious "Wild Woods" of the Carolina back country?
2. Who was an important patron of Ben Franklin?
3. Concerning the marketplace, how did colonial American and British aristocracy differ?
4. In the American colonies, what was the euphemistic name for every kind of personal connection, even if inherently unequal?
5. Who was the head of a colonial household?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had the definition of aristocracy in colonial America changed by the 18th century?
2. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
3. What did the British conquest of the French in 1759 and the subsequent peace in 1763 do to colonial expansion?
4. How was patriarchy within the colonial family unit challenged during the 18th century?
5. What were the distinctions between colonial American aristocracy and British aristocracy?
6. What was the thinking of many colonial American Protestants towards child rearing?
7. What was characteristic of economic exchanges in colonial America?
8. In small face-to-face colonial society, give two examples of how official and personal affairs combined.
9. How did religion in colonial America support the authority and order of the monarchy?
10. How was the term 'gentleman' redefined in the 16th century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the American Revolution change the American people? Specifically, what is the difference between a person who is subject to a monarch and one who is a citizen in a republican nation?
Essay Topic 2
How was James Guild's rise from humble origins to respectability typical of the American dream? What were the steps of his journey and how did they typify the hopes of other humbly born Americans?
Essay Topic 3
What considerations and decisions by others and George Washington, himself, led to Washington's nomination to be President?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)