|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the main source of instability and anxiety in revolutionary America?
(a) Religious dissent.
(b) Ostentatious aristocracy.
(c) Pervasive equality.
(d) Conspicuous consumption.
2. What most alarmed the American colonial gentry of the 1760s and 1770s?
(a) That common people wanted to participate in government.
(b) That common people disrespected the gentry.
(c) That their wealth was dependent on common people.
(d) That common people were striving to become gentry.
3. Who said America was "just emerging from the rude unpolished condition of an infant country"?
(a) Jonathan Mayhew.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Joseph Addison.
(d) William Livingston.
4. In the 1790s, who proclaimed that every man and woman in every society ought to work?
(a) Edward Everett.
(b) Benjamin Rush.
(c) Parson Weems.
(d) John Adams.
5. By 1820, which territories had doubled the size of America?
(a) Alabama and Mississippi.
(b) Florida and Alabama.
(c) Florida and Louisiana.
(d) Louisiana and Mississippi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the population of America in 1810?
2. Who said that the secret of America's prosperity was the celebration of work?
3. Who became the richest man in Gloucester, R.I., just a few years before the revolution?
4. What form of address came into general use in the late 18th century?
5. When was the Virgina constitution written?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the signing of the Declaration of Independence, why did the revolutionary leaders almost immediately begin to doubt that their hope of a utopian America would be realized?
2. By the end of the 18th century, what was the source of the American aristocracy's downfall?
3. On what precept was freemasonry organized?
4. What social conditions which normally precipitate a revolution were absent during the American Revolution?
5. Why did American office holders from 1776 on urge their republican governments to not only pay salaries but to keep raising them?
6. What did the American westward movement of the early 19th century do to traditional forms of social organization?
7. What was the Constitution of 1787 suppose to mitigate?
8. How did the numerous bankruptcies and financial collapses of the 1790s contribute to the democratization of America?
9. What did individual independence mean to revolutionaries?
10. What was the reason for the American 'economic miracle' of the 19th century?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)