|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Virgina constitution written?
2. In the late 1760s, who dismissed people's right to participate in government if they didn't have a liberal arts education?
(a) Abraham Bishop.
(b) Matthew Lyon.
(c) George Warner.
(d) William Drayton.
3. What eventually became the sole criterion for the political worth of a person?
(a) Loyalty to the administration.
(b) Loyalty to the people.
(c) Loyalty to the party.
(d) Loyalty to the state.
4. Who said America, "hath a blank sheet to write upon"?
(a) Thomas Paine.
(b) Lord Chesterfield.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
5. Who said, "the attracting force of universal love" existed in all people?
(a) William Channing.
(b) George Cabot.
(c) Joel Barlow.
(d) William Sampson.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Americans begin to call for the boycotting of British goods?
2. Who said America was "just emerging from the rude unpolished condition of an infant country"?
3. The "Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation" was a key document for which man?
4. Who said, "All Christendom has been decomposed, broken in pieces" in this "fiery furnace of democracy"?
5. Where was the first county fair held?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to John Toland, what is the difference between a man who is free and one who is dependent?
2. Towards the end of the 18th century and beginning of the 19th century, what was the result of Americans believing that every man was his own moral agent who was his own master in all respects and could dispose himself as he wished?
3. What social conditions which normally precipitate a revolution were absent during the American Revolution?
4. How did early Americans' views of the government change after the Revolution?
5. On what precept was freemasonry organized?
6. How did the numerous bankruptcies and financial collapses of the 1790s contribute to the democratization of America?
7. What did the American westward movement of the early 19th century do to traditional forms of social organization?
8. In colonial America, how did the meaning of the word civility change in the last half of the 18th century?
9. By the end of the 18th century, what was the source of the American aristocracy's downfall?
10. Why were the American gentry alarmed at the desire of the common people to share in the conduct of the government?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)