|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did John Adams consider to be the main mark of a gentleman?
(a) A liberal arts education.
(b) Dedication to public service.
(c) Wealth and ease of life.
(d) Virture and charitable causes.
2. In the late 18th century, what replaced whipping and execution as penal codes?
3. What did Leverett Saltonstall call "the great bond of civil society"?
(a) Individual conscience.
4. Who said about Americans that their "universal roar is Commerce"?
(a) Samuel Mitchill.
(b) William Crafts.
(c) Philip Freneau.
(d) Oliver Evans.
5. Who said, "Idolatry to Monarchs and servility of Aristocratic Pride was never so totally eradicated from so many in so short a time"?
(a) William Henry Drayton.
(b) David Ramsey.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Moses Cooper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What became a surrogate religion for colonial Americans suspicious of traditional Christianity?
2. Who said, "We see with other eyes; we hear with other ears"?
3. What form of address came into general use in the late 18th century?
4. In 1800, what percent of the American labor force was in farming?
5. Who said that the secret of America's prosperity was the celebration of work?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)