|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The "Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation" was a key document for which man?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Jonathan Mayhew.
(c) William Livingston.
(d) Joseph Addison.
2. What did John Adams consider to be the main mark of a gentleman?
(a) Dedication to public service.
(b) Virture and charitable causes.
(c) Wealth and ease of life.
(d) A liberal arts education.
3. What year was the Continental Congress?
4. In 1774 Philadelphia, what was the Philadelphia Committee of Nineteen?
(a) A religious organization.
(b) A resistance organization.
(c) A loyalist organization.
(d) A trade organization.
5. In 1800, what percent of the American labor force was in farming?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Common Sense"?
2. How many Boston merchants were named in the Massachusetts Banishment Act of 1778?
3. What became a surrogate religion for colonial Americans suspicious of traditional Christianity?
4. What form of address came into general use in the late 18th century?
5. Who said, "We see with other eyes; we hear with other ears"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the numerous bankruptcies and financial collapses of the 1790s contribute to the democratization of America?
2. How did the opinion of a traditional gentleman's assumption of leisure change towards the end of the 18th century?
3. Why have historians criticized John Hancock?
4. Why was it impossible for Christianity to be the one means of unifying America at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries?
5. How did early Americans' views of the government change after the Revolution?
6. Why did American office holders from 1776 on urge their republican governments to not only pay salaries but to keep raising them?
7. What did individual independence mean to revolutionaries?
8. After the signing of the Declaration of Independence, why did the revolutionary leaders almost immediately begin to doubt that their hope of a utopian America would be realized?
9. By the end of the 18th century, what was the source of the American aristocracy's downfall?
10. What social conditions which normally precipitate a revolution were absent during the American Revolution?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)