|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the 18th century, what did the golden age of Roman literature speak about?
(a) Moral and ethical issues.
(b) Political and social ideals.
(c) Scientific and historic discoveries.
(d) Religious and emotional decisions.
2. How could a person be mobile in colonial society?
(a) By replacing someone of a higher rank.
(b) By demonstrating and possessing qualifications for new rank.
(c) By marrying into a higher social rank.
(d) By earning money and buying status for the new rank.
3. In colonial America, how did parents view their power as parents?
(b) Head of a democracy.
(c) Equals within the family.
(d) Limited monarchy.
4. What characteristic separated patricians from plebeians?
(b) Physical labor.
(d) Birth status.
5. What did Ben Franklin say about government?
(a) It should be abolished.
(b) It should be obeyed.
(c) It's a man-made contrivance.
(d) It's a necessary evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did monarchists hold as extremely important?
2. In colonial America, what were the aristocracy allowed to engage in that they weren't allowed in Britain?
3. What did classical republican ideals lay the foundation for?
4. How did colonial gentry demonstrate virtue?
5. What did the original American colonists pride themselves as being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the thinking of many colonial American Protestants towards child rearing?
2. In small face-to-face colonial society, give two examples of how official and personal affairs combined.
3. How had the definition of aristocracy in colonial America changed by the 18th century?
4. Describe the different categories of merchants in colonial America.
5. What happened in literature following Britain's Glorious Revolution of 1688?
6. What were the distinctions between colonial American aristocracy and British aristocracy?
7. How was the term 'gentleman' redefined in the 16th century?
8. What was the difference between morality under a republic rather than a monarchy?
9. Why was the family household in colonial America the place where most work was done?
10. What did the British conquest of the French in 1759 and the subsequent peace in 1763 do to colonial expansion?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)