|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Republicans hold as extremely important?
(a) Peace and order.
(b) Monarchy and enlightenment.
(c) Counterculture and reorganization.
(d) Liberty and independence.
2. In colonial America, what were women considered from a legal standpoint?
(a) They were dependent.
(b) They were non-people.
(c) They were independent.
(d) They were possessions.
3. Originally in colonial America, how were gentlemen to treat inferiors and subordinates?
(a) As spouses.
(b) As parents.
(c) As equals.
(d) As children.
4. Who spoke for and was responsible for servants, slaves, and tenants?
(a) No one was responsible for them.
(b) The head of the household.
(c) They were responsible for themselves.
(d) The colonial government.
5. Who did the American colonists blame when the wrong people held office?
(a) The crown.
(b) The voters.
(c) Other officials.
Short Answer Questions
1. In colonial America, how did parents view their power as parents?
2. What was the main consideration for a colonial man to be considered a gentleman?
3. During the war against France, what did farmers buy after they sold their surplus to the British troops?
4. What percent of the American colonial population was poor?
5. Who was the head of a colonial household?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the responsibility of the government under a monarchy?
2. In small face-to-face colonial society, give two examples of how official and personal affairs combined.
3. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
4. How was republicanism defined at the time of the American Revolution?
5. How was the term 'gentleman' redefined in the 16th century?
6. How did wealthy commoners in the colonies try to gain status as gentlemen?
7. Describe the different categories of merchants in colonial America.
8. How did Bernard Mandeville and David Hume feel about the common people buying luxuries?
9. Why was the family household in colonial America the place where most work was done?
10. What was characteristic of economic exchanges in colonial America?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)