Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Ben Franklin quartered when he sailed to England in 1724?
(a) With the captain.
(c) First class.
(d) With the crew.
2. Who bought the small planters tobacco crops rather than taking them on consignment?
(a) Welsh merchant houses.
(b) British merchant houses.
(c) Scottish merchant houses.
(d) Irish merchant houses.
3. What did the colonial American courts treat more seriously than violent acts?
4. What relationship did the British farmer have with the land he worked?
(a) He was a tenant.
(b) He borrowed it.
(c) He lent it.
(d) He was the owner.
5. Who was the head of a colonial household?
(a) The matriarch.
(b) The oldest grandfather.
(c) The parents.
(d) The patriarch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the religious upheavals in the colonies eventually called?
2. Who rejected "ancient prejudices" that supported hereditary monarchy?
3. What was the most radical change brought about by the Revolution?
4. In colonial America, what was commonly manufactured in enormous quantities by the farming population?
5. What happened in colonial America when more and more people demanded land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did American office holders from 1776 on urge their republican governments to not only pay salaries but to keep raising them?
2. Why were the American gentry alarmed at the desire of the common people to share in the conduct of the government?
3. How did the opinion of a traditional gentleman's assumption of leisure change towards the end of the 18th century?
4. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
5. Why have historians criticized John Hancock?
6. What influence did George Washington exert at the Philadelphia Convention of 1787?
7. What did the British conquest of the French in 1759 and the subsequent peace in 1763 do to colonial expansion?
8. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
9. What happened in literature following Britain's Glorious Revolution of 1688?
10. What did John Locke write about child rearing?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)