|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What supported the colonial southern plantations that made networks of influence unnecessary?
(a) Family networks.
(c) Outside investors.
2. What was the ideology of the Enlightenment?
3. In the American colonies, what was the euphemistic name for every kind of personal connection, even if inherently unequal?
4. What was it called when Ben Franklin appointed his friends and family to official positions after he became Deputy Postmaster General of North America?
5. How did the grandest colonial American estates compare to traditional British estates?
(a) They were about the same size.
(b) They were worth more.
(c) There were much larger.
(d) They were much smaller.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the middle of the 18th century, what did many revolutionary leaders feel the colonies still needed?
2. In colonial America, what was absent between centralized and local authorities?
3. In colonial America, what was a self-made man called?
4. What spending trend in colonial America did social conservatives condemn?
5. Originally in colonial America, how were gentlemen to treat inferiors and subordinates?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did wealthy commoners in the colonies try to gain status as gentlemen?
2. How did gentry families try to emulate English nobility?
3. How did colonial imports of British goods change the twenty-five years before the Revolution?
4. Before the revolution, what did the aristocracy think of the common people?
5. In colonial America, what was the purpose of the pillory or whipping post?
6. What were the distinctions between colonial American aristocracy and British aristocracy?
7. How was family defined in colonial America?
8. Why did colonists so eagerly desire titles or distinctions?
9. Why was the family household in colonial America the place where most work was done?
10. What was characteristic of economic exchanges in colonial America?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)