|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When meeting someone new in colonial America, what was required for confidence in dealing with that person?
(a) Common interests.
(b) A mutual acquaintance.
(c) A letter of introduction.
(d) Compatible personalities.
2. What was the status of an indentured servant in colonial America?
(a) He was a free agent.
(b) He was the lowest class of society.
(c) He was working his way up the ladder.
(d) He was property.
3. What kinds of laws were proposed in colonial America to curb spending?
(a) Sumptuary laws.
(b) Pecuniary laws.
(c) Monetary laws.
(d) Speculative laws.
4. In colonial America, what was commonly manufactured in enormous quantities by the farming population?
(d) Farm equipment.
5. Who was governor of Massachusetts during the Boston Tea Party?
(a) Thomas Hutchinson.
(b) Thomas Huxtible.
(c) Thomas Hutchins.
(d) Thomas Hutton.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could a colonial adolescent master a particular skill or learn a discipline?
2. Who in colonial America had the best opportunity to become wealthy?
3. In colonial America, what emerged after politics cease to be a contest among prominent families?
4. How was intermarriage and inbreeding looked upon by colonial gentry?
5. Who spoke for and was responsible for servants, slaves, and tenants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give examples of the patronage Ben Franklin practiced when he became Deputy Postmaster General of North America.
2. How did wealthy commoners in the colonies try to gain status as gentlemen?
3. Why did colonists so eagerly desire titles or distinctions?
4. Describe the different categories of merchants in colonial America.
5. How did colonial inland trade change after 1745?
6. Why could Anglo-American colonists never be good subjects to the crown?
7. What would a colonist do if someone spoke publicly against him?
8. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
9. How was the term 'gentleman' redefined in the 16th century?
10. What was the difference between morality under a republic rather than a monarchy?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)