|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did classical republican ideals lay the foundation for?
(a) A legal education.
(b) A liberal arts education.
(c) A science education.
(d) A religious education.
2. Who argued that Britain was an unnatural parent?
3. What characteristic separated patricians from plebeians?
(c) Physical labor.
(d) Birth status.
4. In colonial America, who was rescued from poverty as a fourteen-year-old boy, only to become one of Virginia's most distinguished leaders?
(a) Daniel Dulagy.
(b) Charles Wilson Peale.
(c) Benjamin Robinson.
(d) Edmund Pendleton.
5. What was critical to the success of colonial American office holders?
(a) Social respectability.
(b) Stable family life.
(c) Personal accountability.
(d) Freedom from debt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did non-English colonial Americans feel about the monarchy?
2. In colonial America, what was a self-made man called?
3. What did the original American colonists pride themselves as being?
4. After retiring, what does Ben Franklin do that later embarrasses him?
5. What was the ideology of the Enlightenment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did individual independence mean to revolutionaries?
2. What was characteristic of economic exchanges in colonial America?
3. How did Bernard Mandeville and David Hume feel about the common people buying luxuries?
4. How did early Americans' views of the government change after the Revolution?
5. How was patriarchy within the colonial family unit challenged during the 18th century?
6. Why did colonists so eagerly desire titles or distinctions?
7. How was liberalism measured during the Enlightenment?
8. In colonial America, what was an entailed estate?
9. What was hoped to replace fear and favor in enlightened colonial American society? How would the replacement be manifested?
10. What was the golden age of Roman literature?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)