|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic of their heritage did colonial Americans in New England cling to?
(d) Conscientious objection.
2. Who vigorously denounced the Stamp Act riots in 1765?
(a) Thomas Hutchison.
(b) Henry Laurens.
(c) James Otis.
(d) Daniel Moore.
3. What was another name for colonial commoners?
4. How did colonial Americans look on black slavery?
(a) As an abomination.
(b) As just another form of dependency.
(c) As a necessary evil.
(d) As an institution which needs legislation.
5. After retiring, what does Ben Franklin do that later embarrasses him?
(a) Commission a uniform.
(b) Commission a special gun.
(c) Commission a house.
(d) Commission a portrait.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the American colonists blame when the wrong people held office?
2. When meeting someone new in colonial America, what was required for confidence in dealing with that person?
3. In colonial America, what emerged after politics cease to be a contest among prominent families?
4. How did John Locke view a child's mind?
5. In colonial America, what was the ultimate means of defending one's honor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In times of war, how were aristocratic soldiers treated differently than common soldiers?
2. Before the revolution, what did the aristocracy think of the common people?
3. How had the definition of aristocracy in colonial America changed by the 18th century?
4. Describe the different categories of merchants in colonial America.
5. Why could Anglo-American colonists never be good subjects to the crown?
6. In small face-to-face colonial society, give two examples of how official and personal affairs combined.
7. What was the thinking of many colonial American Protestants towards child rearing?
8. How did colonial imports of British goods change the twenty-five years before the Revolution?
9. What characterized colonial American tenantry?
10. Why was traditional hierarchical authority brought to question throughout the 18th century?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)