|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Virgina constitution written?
2. Before the revolution, what was labor associated with?
(a) Increased productivity.
(b) Oppression and fear.
(c) Tradition and necessity.
(d) Slavery and servitude.
3. How many loyalists left the colonies during the revolution?
4. What did Leverett Saltonstall call "the great bond of civil society"?
(a) Individual conscience.
5. What eventually became the sole criterion for the political worth of a person?
(a) Loyalty to the people.
(b) Loyalty to the administration.
(c) Loyalty to the state.
(d) Loyalty to the party.
6. What was the main source of instability and anxiety in revolutionary America?
(a) Religious dissent.
(b) Conspicuous consumption.
(c) Ostentatious aristocracy.
(d) Pervasive equality.
7. Where was the first county fair held?
(a) Escambia County, Rhode Island.
(b) Berkshire County, Massachusetts.
(c) Albany County, New York.
(d) Green County, Connecticut.
8. Who strove to undermine the gentry's distinctiveness and privileges by emphasizing their similarity to common people?
(a) William Drayton.
(b) Matthew Lyon.
(c) Abraham Bishop.
(d) George Warner.
9. The "Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation" was a key document for which man?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Jonathan Mayhew.
(c) William Livingston.
(d) Joseph Addison.
10. How many Boston merchants were named in the Massachusetts Banishment Act of 1778?
11. What did conservatives say caused the degeneration of standards that were tainting America?
(b) The Federalists.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Constitution.
12. What percent of colonial Americans were loyalists?
13. What did the revolutionaries mean when they said they supported equality?
(a) They supported equal education.
(b) They supported equal income.
(c) They supported equal distribution of wealth.
(d) They supported equality of opportunity.
14. What form of address came into general use in the late 18th century?
15. What was the population of America in 1810?
(a) 7 million.
(b) 8 million.
(c) 5 million.
(d) 6 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John Locke write about the common moral sense of every man?
2. Whose play "Cato" taught George Washington what it meant to be liberal and virtuous?
3. How many American whiskey distilleries were there in 1830?
4. Which President said, "Parties would always exist"?
5. Who headed the revolutionary committee in Savannah, Georgia when the Revolution began?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)