|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the speaker of the House of Burgess in 1766?
(a) John Robinson.
(b) John Criswell.
(c) Richard Henry Lee.
(d) Algernon Sidney.
2. Who resigned from Congress in 1778 because he did not feel he could be a good Congressman because of necessity he was also compelled to practice law?
(a) David Hume.
(b) James Iredell.
(c) Thomas Stone.
(d) John Jebb.
3. Who drew up the Virginia Declaration of Rights?
(a) William Livingston.
(b) George Mason.
(c) Charles Carroll.
(d) James Cheetham.
4. Who said, "We see with other eyes; we hear with other ears"?
(a) John Adams.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Lord Chesterfield.
(d) Thomas Paine.
5. Who wrote the book "The Patriots"?
(a) Israel Williams.
(b) Robert Munsford.
(c) Jeremy Belknap.
(d) Owen Biddle.
6. Who said, "Idolatry to Monarchs and servility of Aristocratic Pride was never so totally eradicated from so many in so short a time"?
(a) John Adams.
(b) Moses Cooper.
(c) William Henry Drayton.
(d) David Ramsey.
7. What did John Adams consider to be the main mark of a gentleman?
(a) Wealth and ease of life.
(b) Virture and charitable causes.
(c) A liberal arts education.
(d) Dedication to public service.
8. Who believed that each individual was responsible for his or her eternal salvation or damnation?
(a) Elias Smith.
(b) Lyman Beecher.
(c) Barton Stone.
(d) Lorenzo Dow.
9. What was the most radical ideology initiated by the Revolution?
(a) . Republicanism.
10. Who strove to undermine the gentry's distinctiveness and privileges by emphasizing their similarity to common people?
(a) Abraham Bishop.
(b) William Drayton.
(c) George Warner.
(d) Matthew Lyon.
11. How much were the first congressmen and senators paid per day of service?
12. In 1800, what percent of the American labor force was in farming?
13. Who had an international reputation as a hero in the 1780s?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Ben Franklin.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
14. Who said America, "hath a blank sheet to write upon"?
(a) Thomas Paine.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Lord Chesterfield.
15. Which President said, "Parties would always exist"?
(a) Martin Van Buren.
(b) John Quincy Adams.
(c) James Monroe.
(d) James Madison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose Massachusetts family had done missionary work among the Indians?
2. When did Americans begin to call for the boycotting of British goods?
3. Where was the first county fair held?
4. What percent of colonial Americans were loyalists?
5. What became a surrogate religion for colonial Americans suspicious of traditional Christianity?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)