|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did John Locke write about the common moral sense of every man?
(a) That men are disposed to do good.
(b) That men are disposed to do bad.
(c) That men are amoral.
(d) That men must be taught what is good and bad.
2. By 1800, what percent of the Philadelphia labor force were indentured servants?
3. What did Leverett Saltonstall call "the great bond of civil society"?
(d) Individual conscience.
4. Who became the richest man in Gloucester, R.I., just a few years before the revolution?
(a) Moses Cooper.
(b) David Ramsey.
(c) Josiah Quincy.
(d) Thomas Hutchinson.
5. In 1800, what percent of the American labor force was in farming?
6. Whose Massachusetts family had done missionary work among the Indians?
(a) Joseph Addison.
(b) William Livingston.
(c) Lord Chesterfield.
(d) Jonathan Mayhew.
7. Who wrote the book "The Patriots"?
(a) Robert Munsford.
(b) Owen Biddle.
(c) Israel Williams.
(d) Jeremy Belknap.
8. What eventually became the sole criterion for the political worth of a person?
(a) Loyalty to the administration.
(b) Loyalty to the state.
(c) Loyalty to the party.
(d) Loyalty to the people.
9. Who headed the revolutionary committee in Savannah, Georgia when the Revolution began?
(a) An Anglican.
(b) An atheist.
(c) A Quaker.
(d) A Jew.
10. Who resigned from Congress in 1778 because he did not feel he could be a good Congressman because of necessity he was also compelled to practice law?
(a) James Iredell.
(b) Thomas Stone.
(c) David Hume.
(d) John Jebb.
11. What form of address came into general use in the late 18th century?
12. What percent of colonial Americans were loyalists?
13. Who said, "Idolatry to Monarchs and servility of Aristocratic Pride was never so totally eradicated from so many in so short a time"?
(a) David Ramsey.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Moses Cooper.
(d) William Henry Drayton.
14. What was the most radical ideology initiated by the Revolution?
(b) . Republicanism.
15. When did the first American Congress meet?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Boston merchants were named in the Massachusetts Banishment Act of 1778?
2. Who said America was "just emerging from the rude unpolished condition of an infant country"?
3. What most alarmed the American colonial gentry of the 1760s and 1770s?
4. What was democracy considered in the 18th century?
5. The "Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation" was a key document for which man?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)