|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did John Adams consider to be the main mark of a gentleman?
(a) Wealth and ease of life.
(b) Dedication to public service.
(c) Virture and charitable causes.
(d) A liberal arts education.
2. What form of address came into general use in the late 18th century?
3. What did Leverett Saltonstall call "the great bond of civil society"?
(b) Individual conscience.
4. Who said, "We see with other eyes; we hear with other ears"?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Thomas Paine.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Lord Chesterfield.
5. How much were the first congressmen and senators paid per day of service?
6. What contributed to America's economic troubles in the 1780s?
(a) The withdrawal of loyalist's monies.
(b) The absence of manufacturing.
(c) The end of the war.
(d) The establishment of a new government.
7. What defined modern politicians as "persons who have little, if any regard for the welfare of the republic unless immediately connected with . . . their own private pursuits"?
(a) The Federalist Weekly News.
(b) The Philadelphia News Journal.
(c) The Niles Weekly Register.
(d) The Republican Voice.
8. How many loyalists left the colonies during the revolution?
9. In the 1790s, who labeled gentry as men of idleness, extravagance, and dissipation?
(a) Matthew Lyon.
(b) William Drayton.
(c) George Warner.
(d) Abraham Bishop
10. In 1800, what percent of the American labor force was in farming?
11. In the 1790s, who proclaimed that every man and woman in every society ought to work?
(a) Benjamin Rush.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Parson Weems.
(d) Edward Everett.
12. What was the population of America in 1810?
(a) 8 million.
(b) 7 million.
(c) 6 million.
(d) 5 million.
13. When did Americans begin to call for the boycotting of British goods?
(a) When artisans in Philadelphia won four city offices.
(b) When Mechanics Hall became a meeting place.
(c) When the Stamp Act was issued.
(d) When the Patriotic Society was formed.
14. In the late 18th century, what replaced whipping and execution as penal codes?
15. What did John Locke write about the common moral sense of every man?
(a) That men are disposed to do good.
(b) That men must be taught what is good and bad.
(c) That men are amoral.
(d) That men are disposed to do bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said that the secret of America's prosperity was the celebration of work?
2. What year was the Continental Congress?
3. Who said America, "hath a blank sheet to write upon"?
4. What was the most radical ideology initiated by the Revolution?
5. What was democracy considered in the 18th century?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)