|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said he didn't know how to keep America from "sliding down into the mire of democracy"?
(a) George Cabot.
(b) Oliver Wolcott.
(c) James Kent.
(d) Fisher Ames.
2. In 1787, who said America lacked cohesion?
(a) Daniel Webster.
(b) Elkanah Watson.
(c) Charles Nisbet.
(d) John C. Calhoun.
3. Who headed the revolutionary committee in Savannah, Georgia when the Revolution began?
(a) An Anglican.
(b) A Jew.
(c) An atheist.
(d) A Quaker.
4. Who wrote the book "The Idle Man"?
(a) James Kent.
(b) Richard Henry Dana.
(c) David Dudley.
(d) Samuel Morse.
5. Who said that the secret of America's prosperity was the celebration of work?
(a) Theodore Sedgewick.
(b) Edward Everett.
(c) Francis Grund.
(d) Micheal Chevalier.
6. Who had an international reputation as a hero in the 1780s?
(a) Ben Franklin.
(b) John Adams.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
7. Who was the speaker of the House of Burgess in 1766?
(a) John Criswell.
(b) John Robinson.
(c) Algernon Sidney.
(d) Richard Henry Lee.
8. What was democracy considered in the 18th century?
(a) An impossible accomplishment to be dismissed.
(b) A present condition of American life.
(c) A utopian term or society's hope.
(d) A technical term of political theory.
9. Where was the first county fair held?
(a) Albany County, New York.
(b) Green County, Connecticut.
(c) Escambia County, Rhode Island.
(d) Berkshire County, Massachusetts.
10. What percent of colonial Americans were loyalists?
11. Whose play "Cato" taught George Washington what it meant to be liberal and virtuous?
(a) William Livingston.
(b) Lord Chesterfield.
(c) Jonathan Mayhew.
(d) Joseph Addison.
12. What year was the Continental Congress?
13. What form of address came into general use in the late 18th century?
14. Who said that "Benevolence is the Cement and Support of . . . the Great Community of mankind"?
(a) John Quincy Adams.
(b) Israel Williams.
(c) Samuel Cooper.
(d) James Allen.
15. What did Leverett Saltonstall call "the great bond of civil society"?
(a) Individual conscience.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1790s, who proclaimed that every man and woman in every society ought to work?
2. When did the first American Congress meet?
3. By 1800, what percent of the Philadelphia labor force were indentured servants?
4. What did conservatives say caused the degeneration of standards that were tainting America?
5. Who said that the mind could be cultivated like a garden?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)