|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said about Americans that their "universal roar is Commerce"?
(a) Samuel Mitchill.
(b) William Crafts.
(c) Philip Freneau.
(d) Oliver Evans.
2. Who said he didn't know how to keep America from "sliding down into the mire of democracy"?
(a) James Kent.
(b) Fisher Ames.
(c) George Cabot.
(d) Oliver Wolcott.
3. Who said that the secret of America's prosperity was the celebration of work?
(a) Theodore Sedgewick.
(b) Francis Grund.
(c) Edward Everett.
(d) Micheal Chevalier.
4. Who believed that each individual was responsible for his or her eternal salvation or damnation?
(a) Elias Smith.
(b) Lorenzo Dow.
(c) Barton Stone.
(d) Lyman Beecher.
5. What was the most radical ideology initiated by the Revolution?
(d) . Republicanism.
6. Who wrote the book "The Patriots"?
(a) Jeremy Belknap.
(b) Robert Munsford.
(c) Israel Williams.
(d) Owen Biddle.
7. Who said that the mind could be cultivated like a garden?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Thomas Paine.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Lord Chesterfield.
8. When did Americans begin to call for the boycotting of British goods?
(a) When the Stamp Act was issued.
(b) When artisans in Philadelphia won four city offices.
(c) When the Patriotic Society was formed.
(d) When Mechanics Hall became a meeting place.
9. Before the revolution, what was labor associated with?
(a) Tradition and necessity.
(b) Increased productivity.
(c) Slavery and servitude.
(d) Oppression and fear.
10. In the late 18th century, what replaced whipping and execution as penal codes?
11. Where was the first county fair held?
(a) Escambia County, Rhode Island.
(b) Green County, Connecticut.
(c) Albany County, New York.
(d) Berkshire County, Massachusetts.
12. What eventually became the sole criterion for the political worth of a person?
(a) Loyalty to the state.
(b) Loyalty to the party.
(c) Loyalty to the people.
(d) Loyalty to the administration.
13. In 1800, what percent of the American labor force was in farming?
14. The "Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation" was a key document for which man?
(a) Joseph Addison.
(b) Jonathan Mayhew.
(c) George Washington.
(d) William Livingston.
15. Who said America was "just emerging from the rude unpolished condition of an infant country"?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Jonathan Mayhew.
(c) William Livingston.
(d) Joseph Addison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believed progress and social harmony would result from the enlightened conclusion of the new American society?
2. Who became the richest man in Gloucester, R.I., just a few years before the revolution?
3. What percent of colonial Americans were loyalists?
4. Who drew up the Virginia Declaration of Rights?
5. In 1774 Philadelphia, what was the Philadelphia Committee of Nineteen?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)