|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In South India, what is part of the entry to the caste?
2. Which of the following do cultures not involve, according to the reading?
3. What does Douglas believe unsuccessful structures invite?
4. What is considered the first stage of digestion in the caste structure described?
5. What are Douglas' rules of pollution concerned with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mae Enga culture and beliefs.
2. Describe the treatment of ambiguities as described in Chapter 10.
3. Describe the Israeli rejection of dirt. How is it destructive and creative at the same time, in Douglas' view?
4. Describe the beliefs of the Maoris.
5. Describe the Nuer beliefs and actions.
6. Why does Douglas state that pollutions are dangerous?
7. Describe Walbiri culture and beliefs.
8. Are the arguments that Douglas poses in regards to primitive cultures being thought of as primitive and neurotic valid? Why or why not?
9. How is dirt related to madness in the cultures described in the reading?
10. Describe the Coorgs' caste system.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess rituals in primitive culture. How would Douglas answer these questions and why: Are rituals rooted in magic? Why do you think this is so? Are anti-ritual views accurate?
Essay Topic 2
What do you need to study to understand purity, according to Douglas? What is purity? What is contagion? What is pollution? How are these concepts related?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the four types of pollutions that Douglas introduces. Give one example of each in primitive culture and in modern culture. How do these cultures overcome pollutions?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)