|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes the Southern Nayar girls?
2. What do the Nyakusa associate dirt with?
3. In Chapter 6, what is considered to be both part of authority and other social structures?
4. What may the Nuer kill in defense for, according to Douglas?
5. Which group does Douglas describe as being closest to the Protestants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is food preparation related to pollution?
2. Describe the beliefs of the Maoris.
3. Describe the Israeli rejection of dirt. How is it destructive and creative at the same time, in Douglas' view?
4. Why is dirt regarded as being a powerful part of a ritual, according to Douglas?
5. Describe Mae Enga culture and beliefs.
6. What is a moral situation? Can we define a moral? Why or why not?
7. Describe the structure of the Lugbara.
8. Why does Douglas say that social consequences cannot be reversed?
9. Describe the enforcements of harmony that Douglas introduces.
10. How is infidelity handled in a Nuer society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the reading, how is harmony assured in society both externally and internally? What does collaboration have to do with internal lines? What does sexual collaboration have to do with harmony? Give examples of harmony's role in society in both primitive and modern cultures.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Douglas' social structures. What is the significance of a formal power structure? What happens with a system lacks a power structure? Are there any benefits to these systems? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between holiness and blessing as Douglas defines them? How are both related to these concepts: morality, purity, pollution, classification, organization, separation?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)