|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are kept and preserved to prevent from endangering others in the cultures Douglas describes?
2. Which group does Douglas describe as being closest to the Protestants?
3. In what society described are elders with powers able to control juniors but not for personal gain?
4. What does the Oyo Yoruba tribe distinguish between?
5. What type of consequences does Douglas state cannot be reversed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does sexual purity relate to women who are low in caste?
2. How do internal and external boundaries, described by Douglas, relate to the human body?
3. How does Douglas state that danger can be controlled?
4. Describe the treatment of ambiguities as described in Chapter 10.
5. What are the disadvantages to disorder that Douglas poses?
6. Describe the beliefs of the Maoris.
7. Describe the structure of the Lugbara.
8. Why is dirt regarded as being a powerful part of a ritual, according to Douglas?
9. Describe the Israeli rejection of dirt. How is it destructive and creative at the same time, in Douglas' view?
10. How is dirt related to madness in the cultures described in the reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess rituals in primitive culture. How would Douglas answer these questions and why: Are rituals rooted in magic? Why do you think this is so? Are anti-ritual views accurate?
Essay Topic 2
What do you need to study to understand purity, according to Douglas? What is purity? What is contagion? What is pollution? How are these concepts related?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the rationale behind classifying animals. If you were to classify animals, would your method be comparable? Why or why not? Why do you think the animals are categorized this way?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)