|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word does Douglas use to describe the highest castes in South India?
2. If a woman is endangered in child labor, who is condemned in Nuer culture?
3. What does Douglas describe boundaries as altering?
4. Which of the following is not a duty the lowest caste would do?
5. What do boundaries represent to Douglas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the Nuers and Bedouins on political structure.
2. Describe Walbiri culture and beliefs.
3. How is infidelity handled in a Nuer society?
4. Describe the beliefs of the Maoris.
5. How do Vann Gennep's conclusions relate to the Maoris people?
6. How is food preparation related to pollution?
7. Describe the Nuer beliefs and actions.
8. Describe the social structure of the Walbiri.
9. Describe the Coorgs' caste system.
10. How does sexual purity relate to women who are low in caste?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do some societies attempt to control danger, according to Douglas? Are they successful? Why or why not? What are the benefits to controlling power? Are there any downsides? How are marginal states related to danger? Can marginal states be controlled? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the argument for primitive cultures being more modern than primitive. Argue for or against this claim and provide at least 3 sources of evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the four types of pollutions that Douglas introduces. Give one example of each in primitive culture and in modern culture. How do these cultures overcome pollutions?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)