|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Lele culture, what is killed to challenge the notion of ambiguity?
(b) Flying squirrel.
2. To create order, what does Douglas believe one must acknowledge?
3. When is dirt not dangerous, according to Douglas?
(a) With full purity.
(b) With rituals.
(c) With absent barriers.
(d) With absent identity.
4. Which of the following do the Mae Enga men fear?
(a) Female sexuality.
(c) Internal boundaries.
(d) Female collaboration.
5. Who determines what pollution is and how it enters in the caste society Douglas describes?
(a) Clergy members.
(b) The highest caste.
(c) The lowest caste.
6. What did Vann Gennep associate danger with?
(c) Menstrual blood.
7. What do the Nuer determine their moral code through?
(a) Sumerian teachings.
(b) God's words.
(c) The Old Testament.
(d) Punishment laws.
8. Which of the following is one of Douglas' marginal states?
(b) A fetus.
(c) Criminal activities.
9. According to Douglas, what did primitive cultures see as a creative power?
10. What do the Lele men compete for?
(b) Sex with multiple women.
11. In Bemba culture, what can cause death?
(d) Lying to an elder.
12. What does Douglas claim is assured through collaboration?
(a) External boundaries.
(b) Internal lines.
13. What does Douglas believe maintaining purity stems from in primitive cultures?
14. What does the Oyo Yoruba tribe distinguish between?
(a) Hands and feet.
(b) Dirt and cleanliness.
(c) Left and right eye.
(d) Left and right hand.
15. In Chapter 7, what type of boundaries does society have?
(a) Polluted and purified.
(b) Introverted and outgoing.
(c) Internal and external.
(d) Shrill and peaceful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be changed through the margins Douglas describes?
2. What type of rules fail to deter authority in the Bemba culture?
3. What do the Lele regard as the cause of early death and source of all evil?
4. What does Douglas describe purification allows for avoiding?
5. What types of nationalities are deemed to represent power and invite discrimination, according to Douglas?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)