|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are moral situations difficult for Douglas to define?
(a) They are too specific.
(b) They are not specific enough.
(c) They are contradictory and uncertain.
(d) They don't allow everybody to be a moral person.
2. Which of the following do cultures not involve, according to the reading?
3. In South India, what is part of the entry to the caste?
(a) Purity of men.
(b) Purity of children.
(c) Purity of women.
(d) Purity of elders.
4. Why does Douglas think witches represent threat?
(a) They are pitiful.
(b) They engage in incest.
(c) They cannot control themselves.
(d) They are murderers.
5. What does Douglas claim that pollution annihilates?
6. What ambiguity example is given in Chapter 10?
(c) Jelly fish.
(d) Flying squirrel.
7. What is considered to be destructive of rituals in Chapter 9?
8. What type of behavior does the pollution Douglas describes reflect?
9. What does the pangolin represent to some cultures?
(a) Classifying food.
10. In Chapter 7, what type of boundaries does society have?
(a) Polluted and purified.
(b) Internal and external.
(c) Introverted and outgoing.
(d) Shrill and peaceful.
11. What does Douglas describe purification allows for avoiding?
(a) God's wrath.
(b) Social consequences.
(d) Economic downfall.
12. According to Douglas, what did primitive cultures see as a creative power?
13. Which of the following is a success-based belief that Douglas mentions?
14. What is the overall goal of the lowest caste?
(a) To keep their areas clean.
(b) To aid God in purity.
(c) To be an example for their culture.
(d) To help the higher castes be pure.
15. What is the only thing that can control danger, according to Douglas?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose life is put at risk when a wife commits adultery in the Nuer society described?
2. In some tribes, what are examples of formlessness?
3. What does Douglas say happens if sexual roles are directly enforced?
4. Who determines what pollution is and how it enters in the caste society Douglas describes?
5. What do success-based beliefs lack, according to the reading?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)