|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who determines what pollution is and how it enters in the caste society Douglas describes?
(a) Clergy members.
(b) The highest caste.
(c) The lowest caste.
2. How can adulterers become free from guilt, as described in Nuer society?
(a) By getting a divorce.
(b) By performing a sacrifice.
(c) By cleansing themselves of pollution.
(d) By praying.
3. Which of the following describes the Southern Nayar girls?
(a) Only upper castes can marry.
(b) They get to choose a husband.
(c) No permanent husband.
(d) No fertility.
4. What is considered the first stage of digestion in the caste structure described?
(a) Purchasing food.
5. Where are the Walbiri from?
6. To create order, what does Douglas believe one must acknowledge?
7. In South India, what is part of the entry to the caste?
(a) Purity of women.
(b) Purity of men.
(c) Purity of children.
(d) Purity of elders.
8. Douglas states that pollution only involves situations that have which kind of structures?
(a) Clearly insulated.
(b) Clearly defiant.
(d) Clearly defined.
9. What do the Nyakusa associate dirt with?
10. For the Maoris, what does menstrual blood represent?
11. What ambiguity example is given in Chapter 10?
(a) Flying squirrel.
(b) Jelly fish.
12. The model of sexual energy that Douglas describes is a basis of what?
13. If a woman is endangered in child labor, who is condemned in Nuer culture?
(a) The woman's seducer.
(b) The child.
(c) The woman's mother.
(d) The woman.
14. What does Douglas believe unsuccessful structures invite?
15. What do the Nuer determine their moral code through?
(a) God's words.
(b) The Old Testament.
(c) Sumerian teachings.
(d) Punishment laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. If a husband's life is threatened, who is to blame in Nuer beliefs?
2. What type of barrier crossing is treated as pollution as described by Douglas?
3. What do success-based beliefs lack, according to the reading?
4. Which of the following is not a duty the lowest caste would do?
5. What do the Lele regard as the cause of early death and source of all evil?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)