|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Douglas states that all of the following can help to achieve purity except for what?
(a) Margins are kept according to rituals of separation.
(b) Two categories of animals must be eaten with each meal.
(c) Boundaries are established.
(d) Ideas are ordered.
2. What does Douglas describe as morality's intent to ensure?
3. Which of the following does Douglas describe as moving against nature?
4. Which of the following serves as Douglas' distinction between primitive and modern culture?
(a) Observing taboo.
(b) Cosmic pollution.
(c) Social pollution.
5. What does Douglas say primitive cultures represent more than modern cultures?
(a) Rituals and rites.
(b) Fragmented rules.
(c) Pattern rules.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is medical materialism based on?
2. Douglas states that if progress is considered to be differentiation, primitive culture is more what?
3. For the Maoris, what does menstrual blood represent?
4. What do Greek studies of purity and impurity involve?
5. What does Douglas believe can only be effective if it attracts faith?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)