|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What response does a prince receive if he is seen as fickle, effeminate, cowardly, frivolous, or irresolute?
2. How will the prince be seen if his ministers are capable and wise even though he is not?
3. In his discussion of the qualities of a good leader, how does Machiavelli depart from the accepted rules?
4. Who can successfully gain the reputation for generosity but not ruin himself in the process?
5. Machiavelli's political thought is influenced greatly by the ideas of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
2. Detail how Machiavelli says Italian princes lose their dominions.
3. Explain how Machiavelli sees the weakness of using auxiliary forces as a military for a princedom.
4. What does Machiavelli say is the first estimate of a prince as a ruler? Why?
5. Why does Machiavelli say that war is the only art expected of a prince?
6. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
7. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
8. What warnings does Machiavelli give regarding the generosity of a prince.
9. When there is peace outside the principality, what does Machiavelli caution against?
10. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay answering and discussing the question, Is honesty always the best policy?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about why you think many people have not liked Machiavelli's book, THE PRINCE.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)