|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should a prince declare himself as for or against two warring factions?
2. How does Machiavelli say that the great military leaders of history were so successful?
3. What does Machiavelli tell the prince is more important than morality in government?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
5. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
2. Why does Machiavelli say that war is the only art expected of a prince?
3. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
4. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
5. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
6. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
7. When there is peace outside the principality, what does Machiavelli caution against?
8. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
9. Detail how Machiavelli says Italian princes lose their dominions.
10. What is Machiavelli's advice regarding unasked for counsel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how education or the lack of it played a part in the politics of Machiavelli's time.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
Essay Topic 3
In one typed, double-spaced page, identify those Machiavellian ideas that might work in a democracy.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)