|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those who were viewed with suspicion at the beginning of a princedom usually become the most loyal subjects. Why?
2. Why is a reputation for cruelty necessary for a prince?
3. What metaphor does Machiavelli use to explain his ideas about Fortune?
4. What causes the people to begin to support the new prince?
5. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
2. How can a prince gain a reputation for great accomplishments and generosity without bringing about his own ruin?
3. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
4. Why does Machiavelli say that war is the only art expected of a prince?
5. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
6. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
7. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
8. Explain Machiavelli's famous statement that is is better to be feared than loved.
9. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
10. Explain how Machiavelli sees the weakness of using auxiliary forces as a military for a princedom.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the influence of art during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)