|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the advantage of being miserly?
2. What does Machiavelli say is the problem with remaining neutral between two warring sides?
3. What does Machiavelli say the King of Naples and the Duke of Milan had in common?
4. In his discussion of the qualities of a good leader, how does Machiavelli depart from the accepted rules?
5. What metaphor does Machiavelli use to explain his ideas about Fortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
2. Explain how Machiavelli sees the weakness of using auxiliary forces as a military for a princedom.
3. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
4. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
5. Detail how Machiavelli says Italian princes lose their dominions.
6. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
7. What warnings does Machiavelli give regarding the generosity of a prince.
8. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
9. How does Machiavelli evaluate the three types of mind he says princes may have?
10. Why does Machiavelli say that war is the only art expected of a prince?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
Essay Topic 2
Write a story about how you imagine Prince Lorenzo de Medici reacted to THE PRINCE.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining how Machiavelli's writing might be different if he were writing today.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)