|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In terms of receiving advice, what is the main thing a prince must remember and do to preserve power.
2. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
3. What is the first test of a new prince as a judge?
4. Why should a prince declare himself as for or against two warring factions?
5. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Machiavelli's famous statement that is is better to be feared than loved.
2. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
3. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
4. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
5. When there is peace outside the principality, what does Machiavelli caution against?
6. Why does Machiavelli caution against disarming the people of a conquered principality?
7. What is Machiavelli's advice regarding unasked for counsel?
8. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
9. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
10. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)