|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing a man cannot fight against according to Machiavelli?
2. Machiavelli's political thought is influenced greatly by the ideas of what?
3. Why is a reputation for cruelty necessary for a prince?
4. In terms of receiving advice, what is the main thing a prince must remember and do to preserve power.
5. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a prince gain a reputation for great accomplishments and generosity without bringing about his own ruin?
2. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
3. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
4. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
5. Why does Machiavelli caution against disarming the people of a conquered principality?
6. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
7. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
8. What is Machiavelli's advice regarding unasked for counsel?
9. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
10. How does Machiavelli evaluate the three types of mind he says princes may have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Machiavelli's statement that if a prince (or politician) establishes his authority, the means he uses will always be judged honorable. Use Cesare Borgia and Sadam Hussein as examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story about an imaginary meeting between Machiavelli and the Godfather.
Essay Topic 3
Write a story about a young person's problem when two of his or her friends are fighting.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)