|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say the new prince can least afford?
2. What is Machiavelli's advice about people who do things that ultimately enrich the princedom?
3. What is more effective than honesty in a prince?
4. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
5. What does the prince gain from rewarding his ministers well for jobs well done?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail how Machiavelli says Italian princes lose their dominions.
2. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
3. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
4. What warnings does Machiavelli give regarding the generosity of a prince.
5. What kind of reading does Machiavelli advise for the prince? Why?
6. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
7. How can a prince gain a reputation for great accomplishments and generosity without bringing about his own ruin?
8. Why does Machiavelli say that war is the only art expected of a prince?
9. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
10. What does Machiavelli say is the first estimate of a prince as a ruler? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
Essay Topic 2
Write a blog entry dealing with the question, Does the end justify the means?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on your feelings about Machiavelli's trying to get in with the family that overthrew his government and put him out of a job.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)