|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who can successfully gain the reputation for generosity but not ruin himself in the process?
2. Which examples does Machiavelli use to support the idea of not being overly generous?
3. Why does Machiavelli insist that a prince need not always be honest?
4. Why should a prince keep down factions in his princedom?
5. Although Machiavelli says that Pope Julius II was impetuous in all he did, still he succeeded. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
2. Why does Machiavelli say that war is the only art expected of a prince?
3. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
4. What is Machiavelli's advice regarding unasked for counsel?
5. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
6. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
7. Give examples of leaders who recognized the need for their own loyal troops.
8. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
9. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
10. Detail how Machiavelli says Italian princes lose their dominions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Machiavelli's statement that if a prince (or politician) establishes his authority, the means he uses will always be judged honorable. Use Cesare Borgia and Sadam Hussein as examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay answering and discussing the question, Is honesty always the best policy?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)