|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What response does a prince receive if he is seen as fickle, effeminate, cowardly, frivolous, or irresolute?
2. Which statement is true according to Machiavelli?
3. Why is a reputation for cruelty necessary for a prince?
4. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
5. What does the prince gain from rewarding his ministers well for jobs well done?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
2. Explain Machiavelli's famous statement that is is better to be feared than loved.
3. How does Machiavelli tell the prince to avoid assassination attempts against him?
4. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
5. Give examples of leaders who recognized the need for their own loyal troops.
6. When there is peace outside the principality, what does Machiavelli caution against?
7. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
8. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
9. What is Machiavelli's advice regarding unasked for counsel?
10. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a story about a young person's problem when two of his or her friends are fighting.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on your feelings about Machiavelli's trying to get in with the family that overthrew his government and put him out of a job.
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion on the debate over whether or not religion has a place in state government. In preparation, review Chapter 11 on Ecclesiastical Princedoms.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)