|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli assign blame to when a prince loses his dominion?
2. What does Machiavelli tell the prince is more important than morality in government?
3. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
4. What, according to Machiavelli, is better than actually having all the good qualities of leadership?
5. What is more effective than honesty in a prince?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
2. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
3. How can a prince gain a reputation for great accomplishments and generosity without bringing about his own ruin?
4. What does Machiavelli say is the first estimate of a prince as a ruler? Why?
5. How does Machiavelli evaluate the three types of mind he says princes may have?
6. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
7. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
8. When there is peace outside the principality, what does Machiavelli caution against?
9. Explain Machiavelli's famous statement that is is better to be feared than loved.
10. Explain how Machiavelli sees the weakness of using auxiliary forces as a military for a princedom.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the influence of art during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Machiavelli's statement that if a prince (or politician) establishes his authority, the means he uses will always be judged honorable. Use Cesare Borgia and Sadam Hussein as examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Critique Machiavelli's idea that a state or prince must have a strong, loyal military.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)