|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prince gain from rewarding his ministers well for jobs well done?
2. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
3. In terms of receiving advice, what is the main thing a prince must remember and do to preserve power.
4. Why does Machiavelli insist that a prince need not always be honest?
5. What does Machiavelli say the King of Naples and the Duke of Milan had in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
2. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
3. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
4. How does Machiavelli tell the prince to avoid assassination attempts against him?
5. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
6. Give examples of leaders who recognized the need for their own loyal troops.
7. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
8. How does Machiavelli evaluate the three types of mind he says princes may have?
9. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
10. How can a prince gain a reputation for great accomplishments and generosity without bringing about his own ruin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
Essay Topic 3
Write a story about how you imagine Prince Lorenzo de Medici reacted to THE PRINCE.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)