|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say a private citizen might make himself a prince?
2. How does Machiavelli say a prince should keep the attention of the people?
3. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
4. What is the best type of mind Machiavelli says is needed for a strong prince?
5. Which examples does Machiavelli use to support the idea of not being overly generous?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machiavelli evaluate the three types of mind he says princes may have?
2. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
3. What warnings does Machiavelli give regarding the generosity of a prince.
4. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
5. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
6. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
7. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
8. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
9. Why does Machiavelli say that war is the only art expected of a prince?
10. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a blog entry dealing with the question, Does the end justify the means?
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Machiavelli's statement that if a prince (or politician) establishes his authority, the means he uses will always be judged honorable. Use Cesare Borgia and Sadam Hussein as examples in your answer.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)