|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
2. What is the first test of a new prince as a judge?
3. What does Machiavelli tell the prince is more important than morality in government?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is wrong with concepts of an ideal princedom or republic.
5. What response does a prince receive if he is seen as fickle, effeminate, cowardly, frivolous, or irresolute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give examples of leaders who recognized the need for their own loyal troops.
2. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
3. What does Machiavelli say is the first estimate of a prince as a ruler? Why?
4. When there is peace outside the principality, what does Machiavelli caution against?
5. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
6. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
7. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
8. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
9. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
10. Explain how Machiavelli sees the weakness of using auxiliary forces as a military for a princedom.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a blog entry dealing with the question, Does the end justify the means?
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the Italian Renaissance.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)