|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is more effective than honesty in a prince?
2. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
3. What is the advantage of being miserly?
4. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
5. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail how Machiavelli says Italian princes lose their dominions.
2. What warnings does Machiavelli give regarding the generosity of a prince.
3. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
4. Give examples of leaders who recognized the need for their own loyal troops.
5. How can a prince gain a reputation for great accomplishments and generosity without bringing about his own ruin?
6. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
7. What is Machiavelli's advice regarding unasked for counsel?
8. What kind of reading does Machiavelli advise for the prince? Why?
9. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
10. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critique Machiavelli's idea that a state or prince must have a strong, loyal military.
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion on the debate over whether or not religion has a place in state government. In preparation, review Chapter 11 on Ecclesiastical Princedoms.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the Italian Renaissance.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)