|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should a prince keep down factions in his princedom?
2. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a ruler in whom his people have no confidence?
4. What, according to Machiavelli, is better than actually having all the good qualities of leadership?
5. Ferdinand of Spain became strong by waging war. What did he use to do that and get the people behind him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
2. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
3. Explain how Machiavelli sees the weakness of using auxiliary forces as a military for a princedom.
4. When there is peace outside the principality, what does Machiavelli caution against?
5. How can a prince gain a reputation for great accomplishments and generosity without bringing about his own ruin?
6. Why does Machiavelli caution against disarming the people of a conquered principality?
7. What does Machiavelli say is the first estimate of a prince as a ruler? Why?
8. What warnings does Machiavelli give regarding the generosity of a prince.
9. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
10. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay answering and discussing the question, Is honesty always the best policy?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how Machiavelli's writing might be different if he were writing today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Machiavelli's statement that if a prince (or politician) establishes his authority, the means he uses will always be judged honorable. Use Cesare Borgia and Sadam Hussein as examples in your answer.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)