|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say a private citizen might make himself a prince?
2. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
3. How does Machiavelli justify his position that a prince is not duty bound to keep his word?
4. Who does Machiavelli cite as an example of generosity that ended badly?
5. Machiavelli's political thought is influenced greatly by the ideas of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
2. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
3. Why does Machiavelli caution against disarming the people of a conquered principality?
4. What does Machiavelli say is the first estimate of a prince as a ruler? Why?
5. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
6. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
7. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
8. Why does Machiavelli say that war is the only art expected of a prince?
9. When there is peace outside the principality, what does Machiavelli caution against?
10. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)