|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Machiavelli use to explain his ideas about Fortune?
2. What is a constant threat to any prince?
3. How can honesty in other people cause the prince to lose respect?
4. When rule by law is ineffective, what does Machiavelli advise the prince to use?
5. Why should a prince keep down factions in his princedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
2. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
3. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
4. Give examples of leaders who recognized the need for their own loyal troops.
5. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
6. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
7. What is Machiavelli's advice regarding unasked for counsel?
8. What kind of reading does Machiavelli advise for the prince? Why?
9. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
10. Explain Machiavelli's famous statement that is is better to be feared than loved.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Machiavelli's statement that if a prince (or politician) establishes his authority, the means he uses will always be judged honorable. Use Cesare Borgia and Sadam Hussein as examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)