|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his discussion of the qualities of a good leader, how does Machiavelli depart from the accepted rules?
2. Machiavelli's political thought is influenced greatly by the ideas of what?
3. What is it that a prince cannot control among his subjects?
4. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
5. How does Machiavelli define avarice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
2. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
3. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
4. Explain how Machiavelli sees the weakness of using auxiliary forces as a military for a princedom.
5. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
6. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
7. Why does Machiavelli caution against disarming the people of a conquered principality?
8. What is Machiavelli's advice regarding unasked for counsel?
9. How does Machiavelli tell the prince to avoid assassination attempts against him?
10. What kind of reading does Machiavelli advise for the prince? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on why you would or would not have liked living during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the Italian Renaissance.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)