|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those who were viewed with suspicion at the beginning of a princedom usually become the most loyal subjects. Why?
2. In his discussion of the qualities of a good leader, how does Machiavelli depart from the accepted rules?
3. What does the prince gain from rewarding his ministers well for jobs well done?
4. What does Machiavelli see as an insurmountable chasm?
5. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machiavelli evaluate the three types of mind he says princes may have?
2. How can a prince gain a reputation for great accomplishments and generosity without bringing about his own ruin?
3. What kind of reading does Machiavelli advise for the prince? Why?
4. Give examples of leaders who recognized the need for their own loyal troops.
5. What does Machiavelli say is the first estimate of a prince as a ruler? Why?
6. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
7. Why does Machiavelli caution against disarming the people of a conquered principality?
8. Explain Machiavelli's famous statement that is is better to be feared than loved.
9. Explain how Machiavelli sees the weakness of using auxiliary forces as a military for a princedom.
10. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the example of Cesare Borgia, write an essay entitled ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY.
Essay Topic 2
Write a story about how you imagine Prince Lorenzo de Medici reacted to THE PRINCE.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)