|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Roman Emperor does Machiavelli cite as an example of being both a lion and a fox?
2. How does Machiavelli define avarice?
3. What does Machiavelli warn the prince against?
4. In his discussion of the qualities of a good leader, how does Machiavelli depart from the accepted rules?
5. What does Machiavelli say is the problem with remaining neutral between two warring sides?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say is the first estimate of a prince as a ruler? Why?
2. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
3. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
4. Detail how Machiavelli says Italian princes lose their dominions.
5. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
6. How does Machiavelli tell the prince to avoid assassination attempts against him?
7. How does Machiavelli evaluate the three types of mind he says princes may have?
8. What kind of reading does Machiavelli advise for the prince? Why?
9. What is Machiavelli's advice regarding unasked for counsel?
10. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a story about how you imagine Prince Lorenzo de Medici reacted to THE PRINCE.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story about an imaginary meeting between Machiavelli and the Godfather.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how education or the lack of it played a part in the politics of Machiavelli's time.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)