|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say a prince should keep the attention of the people?
2. How much of man's fate does Machiavelli ascribe to God and Fortune?
3. What is Machiavelli's advice about people who do things that ultimately enrich the princedom?
4. What must a prince always do concerning advice?
5. What Roman Emperor does Machiavelli cite as an example of being both a lion and a fox?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
2. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
3. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
4. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
5. How does Machiavelli evaluate the three types of mind he says princes may have?
6. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
7. What does Machiavelli say is the first estimate of a prince as a ruler? Why?
8. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
9. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
10. How can a prince gain a reputation for great accomplishments and generosity without bringing about his own ruin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a blog entry dealing with the question, Does the end justify the means?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Machiavelli's statement that if a prince (or politician) establishes his authority, the means he uses will always be judged honorable. Use Cesare Borgia and Sadam Hussein as examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the Italian Renaissance.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)