|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
2. Who does Machiavelli assign blame to when a prince loses his dominion?
3. Machiavelli's political thought is influenced greatly by the ideas of what?
4. What does Machiavelli say are the two main reasons for a prince to lose his dominion?
5. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
2. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
3. Why does Machiavelli caution against disarming the people of a conquered principality?
4. How does Machiavelli evaluate the three types of mind he says princes may have?
5. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
6. What does Machiavelli say is the first estimate of a prince as a ruler? Why?
7. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
8. Explain how Machiavelli sees the weakness of using auxiliary forces as a military for a princedom.
9. What kind of reading does Machiavelli advise for the prince? Why?
10. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story about an imaginary meeting between Machiavelli and the Godfather.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
Essay Topic 3
Write a blog entry dealing with the question, Does the end justify the means?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)