|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli tell the prince is more important than morality in government?
2. Why does Machiavelli say that the sultans of Turkey and Egypt had to listen more to the military than to the people?
3. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
4. Who does Machiavelli assign blame to when a prince loses his dominion?
5. How does Machiavelli say a prince should keep the attention of the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
2. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
3. Detail how Machiavelli says Italian princes lose their dominions.
4. Give examples of leaders who recognized the need for their own loyal troops.
5. Explain Machiavelli's famous statement that is is better to be feared than loved.
6. How can a prince gain a reputation for great accomplishments and generosity without bringing about his own ruin?
7. When there is peace outside the principality, what does Machiavelli caution against?
8. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
9. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
10. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
Essay Topic 3
In one typed, double-spaced page, identify those Machiavellian ideas that might work in a democracy.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)