|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
2. How will the prince be seen if his ministers are capable and wise even though he is not?
3. What response does a prince receive if he is seen as fickle, effeminate, cowardly, frivolous, or irresolute?
4. What is the best type of mind Machiavelli says is needed for a strong prince?
5. How does Machiavelli justify his position that a prince is not duty bound to keep his word?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machiavelli evaluate the three types of mind he says princes may have?
2. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
3. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
4. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
5. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
6. How does Machiavelli tell the prince to avoid assassination attempts against him?
7. Detail how Machiavelli says Italian princes lose their dominions.
8. Give examples of leaders who recognized the need for their own loyal troops.
9. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
10. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on why you would or would not have liked living during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the influence of art during the Italian Renaissance.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)