|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli justify his position that a prince is not duty bound to keep his word?
2. What is it that a prince cannot control among his subjects?
3. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
4. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
5. How does Machiavelli say a prince should keep the attention of the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
2. What kind of reading does Machiavelli advise for the prince? Why?
3. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
4. Why does Machiavelli say that war is the only art expected of a prince?
5. How does Machiavelli tell the prince to avoid assassination attempts against him?
6. What warnings does Machiavelli give regarding the generosity of a prince.
7. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
8. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
9. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
10. What is Machiavelli's advice regarding unasked for counsel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on your feelings about Machiavelli's trying to get in with the family that overthrew his government and put him out of a job.
Essay Topic 2
Critique Machiavelli's idea that a state or prince must have a strong, loyal military.
Essay Topic 3
Write a story about how you imagine Prince Lorenzo de Medici reacted to THE PRINCE.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)