|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Machiavelli's political thought is influenced greatly by the ideas of what?
2. What, according to Machiavelli, is better than actually having all the good qualities of leadership?
3. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
4. What is the advantage of being miserly?
5. What does Machiavelli say the new prince can least afford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that war is the only art expected of a prince?
2. What kind of reading does Machiavelli advise for the prince? Why?
3. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
4. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
5. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
6. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
7. Why does Machiavelli caution against disarming the people of a conquered principality?
8. How does Machiavelli tell the prince to avoid assassination attempts against him?
9. Give examples of leaders who recognized the need for their own loyal troops.
10. Explain Machiavelli's famous statement that is is better to be feared than loved.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the influence of art during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Machiavelli's statement that if a prince (or politician) establishes his authority, the means he uses will always be judged honorable. Use Cesare Borgia and Sadam Hussein as examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)