|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
2. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
3. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
4. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
5. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
2. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
3. How does Machiavelli distinguish between proper and improper use of cruelty?
4. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
5. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
6. Explain why Machiavelli believes a newly conquered territory is harder to govern than a hereditary dominion.
7. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
8. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
9. How does Machiavelli say that hereditary States are the easier ones to control?
10. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Machiavelli's statement that if a prince (or politician) establishes his authority, the means he uses will always be judged honorable. Use Cesare Borgia and Sadam Hussein as examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
Essay Topic 3
Critique Machiavelli's idea that a state or prince must have a strong, loyal military.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)