|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
3. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
4. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
5. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
2. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
3. At the time Machiavelli is writing, he recognizes only two types of existing government. Explain each.
4. If a hereditary prince loses his dominion in war, will he be able to regain his former position? Explain.
5. What does Machiavelli mean when he says that dominions are obtained by either good Fortune or merit?
6. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
7. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
8. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
9. Describe the conditions that made it possible for Moses, Romulus, Cyrus, and Theseus to be successful in uniting their people.
10. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on why you would or would not have liked living during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 2
Critique Machiavelli's idea that a state or prince must have a strong, loyal military.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)