|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
2. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
3. How do the Medici come to power?
4. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
5. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should a new prince not set up a system of magistrates from among the people?
2. How does Machiavelli distinguish between proper and improper use of cruelty?
3. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
4. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
5. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
6. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
7. Discuss the Duke of Ferrara as a prince who regained his prominence after a period of time.
8. Briefly write down how Machiavelli describes Agathocles of Sicily.
9. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
10. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the example of Cesare Borgia, write an essay entitled ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on how education or the lack of it played a part in the politics of Machiavelli's time.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)