|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
2. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
3. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
4. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
5. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
2. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
3. Discuss the Duke of Ferrara as a prince who regained his prominence after a period of time.
4. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
5. Explain why Machiavelli believes a newly conquered territory is harder to govern than a hereditary dominion.
6. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
7. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
8. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
9. What does Machiavelli mean when he says that dominions are obtained by either good Fortune or merit?
10. If a hereditary prince loses his dominion in war, will he be able to regain his former position? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a story about how you imagine Prince Lorenzo de Medici reacted to THE PRINCE.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how Machiavelli's writing might be different if he were writing today.
Essay Topic 3
Write a story about a young person's problem when two of his or her friends are fighting.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)