|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
2. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
3. What does Machiavelli say are the two foundations necessary for a princedom?
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
5. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
2. Describe the conditions that made it possible for Moses, Romulus, Cyrus, and Theseus to be successful in uniting their people.
3. What are the difficulties new princes face when setting up a new government?
4. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
5. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
6. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
7. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
8. Briefly write down how Machiavelli describes Agathocles of Sicily.
9. How are Ecclesiastical dominions so easily maintained?
10. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a story about a young person's problem when two of his or her friends are fighting.
Essay Topic 2
Critique Machiavelli's idea that a state or prince must have a strong, loyal military.
Essay Topic 3
Write a story about how you imagine Prince Lorenzo de Medici reacted to THE PRINCE.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)