Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
2. What is the advantage of the prince selected by the people?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
4. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
5. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
2. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
3. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
4. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
5. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
6. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
7. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
8. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
9. What does Machiavelli mean when he says that dominions are obtained by either good Fortune or merit?
10. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on why you would or would not have liked living during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how Machiavelli's writing might be different if he were writing today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how education or the lack of it played a part in the politics of Machiavelli's time.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)