|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
2. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
3. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
4. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
5. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
2. Why should a new prince not set up a system of magistrates from among the people?
3. Explain why Machiavelli does not speak about Republics in THE PRINCE.
4. How does Machiavelli say that hereditary States are the easier ones to control?
5. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
6. If a hereditary prince loses his dominion in war, will he be able to regain his former position? Explain.
7. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
8. What does Machiavelli mean when he says that dominions are obtained by either good Fortune or merit?
9. Briefly write down how Machiavelli describes Agathocles of Sicily.
10. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on why you would or would not have liked living during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 3
Write a blog entry dealing with the question, Does the end justify the means?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)