|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
2. What problem faces a prince appointed by the nobles?
3. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the weakness of a mercenary military?
5. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
2. Describe the factors that may make it easier for a new prince to rule.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest the Medici do immediately to become the strong leaders that Italy needs?
4. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
5. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
6. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
7. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
8. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
9. Explain why Machiavelli believes a newly conquered territory is harder to govern than a hereditary dominion.
10. What advantage does the hereditary prince have in maintaining his dominion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion on the debate over whether or not religion has a place in state government. In preparation, review Chapter 11 on Ecclesiastical Princedoms.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how education or the lack of it played a part in the politics of Machiavelli's time.
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)