|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
3. What does Machiavelli say are the two foundations necessary for a princedom?
4. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
5. What does Machiavelli cite as the measure of strength of a principality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Machiavelli's famous statement that is is better to be feared than loved.
2. How does Machiavelli distinguish between proper and improper use of cruelty?
3. Explain how Machiavelli sees the times right for major change in Italy.
4. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
5. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
6. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
7. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
8. Briefly write down how Machiavelli describes Agathocles of Sicily.
9. What does Machiavelli suggest the Medici do immediately to become the strong leaders that Italy needs?
10. How are Ecclesiastical dominions so easily maintained?
Essay Topic 1
Write a story about a young person's problem when two of his or her friends are fighting.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story about an imaginary meeting between Machiavelli and the Godfather.
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)