|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
2. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
3. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
5. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
2. If a hereditary prince loses his dominion in war, will he be able to regain his former position? Explain.
3. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
4. Explain how Machiavelli sees the importance of sound laws and a sound military.
5. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
6. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
7. What does Machiavelli mean when he says that dominions are obtained by either good Fortune or merit?
8. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
9. How does Machiavelli say that hereditary States are the easier ones to control?
10. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story about an imaginary meeting between Machiavelli and the Godfather.
Essay Topic 2
In one typed, double-spaced page, identify those Machiavellian ideas that might work in a democracy.
Essay Topic 3
Write a blog entry dealing with the question, Does the end justify the means?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)