|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
2. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
3. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
4. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
5. What one thing does Machiavelli insist that every prince needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the time Machiavelli is writing, he recognizes only two types of existing government. Explain each.
2. Explain how Machiavelli sees the importance of sound laws and a sound military.
3. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
4. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
5. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
6. What advantage does the hereditary prince have in maintaining his dominion?
7. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
8. How does Machiavelli say that hereditary States are the easier ones to control?
9. What are the difficulties new princes face when setting up a new government?
10. Describe the factors that may make it easier for a new prince to rule.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the example of Cesare Borgia, write an essay entitled ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story about an imaginary meeting between Machiavelli and the Godfather.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)