|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Machiavelli say that Italy has been overrun by Charles, plundered by Louis, ravished by Ferdinand, and dishonored by the Swiss?
2. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
3. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
4. What does Machiavelli say are the two foundations necessary for a princedom?
5. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
Short Essay Questions
1. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
2. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
3. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
4. Describe the conditions that made it possible for Moses, Romulus, Cyrus, and Theseus to be successful in uniting their people.
5. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
6. How does Machiavelli distinguish between proper and improper use of cruelty?
7. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
8. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
9. What are the difficulties new princes face when setting up a new government?
10. Explain why Machiavelli believes a newly conquered territory is harder to govern than a hereditary dominion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on your feelings about Machiavelli's trying to get in with the family that overthrew his government and put him out of a job.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining how Machiavelli's writing might be different if he were writing today.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)