|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What combination of circumstances does Machiavelli identify in men like Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
2. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
3. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
4. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
5. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the Duke of Ferrara as a prince who regained his prominence after a period of time.
2. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
3. What does Machiavelli mean when he says that dominions are obtained by either good Fortune or merit?
4. Explain how Machiavelli sees the importance of sound laws and a sound military.
5. Describe the conditions that made it possible for Moses, Romulus, Cyrus, and Theseus to be successful in uniting their people.
6. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
7. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
8. How are Ecclesiastical dominions so easily maintained?
9. Describe the factors that may make it easier for a new prince to rule.
10. Why should a new prince not set up a system of magistrates from among the people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the influence of art during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 2
Write a story about a young person's problem when two of his or her friends are fighting.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why you think many people have not liked Machiavelli's book, THE PRINCE.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)