|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
2. What ancient example does Machiavelli use to illustrate the rise to power through criminal actions?
3. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
4. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
5. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Machiavelli sees the importance of sound laws and a sound military.
2. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
3. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
4. Why is it easier to rule a princedom than it is to govern a state or republic?
5. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
6. Explain why Machiavelli believes a newly conquered territory is harder to govern than a hereditary dominion.
7. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
8. At the time Machiavelli is writing, he recognizes only two types of existing government. Explain each.
9. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
10. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
Essay Topic 2
Write a story about how you imagine Prince Lorenzo de Medici reacted to THE PRINCE.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)