|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the advantage of the prince selected by the people?
2. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
3. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
4. What does Machiavelli cite as the measure of strength of a principality?
5. What problem faces a prince appointed by the nobles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
2. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
3. Why is it easier to rule a princedom than it is to govern a state or republic?
4. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
5. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
6. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
7. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
8. Explain how Machiavelli sees the importance of sound laws and a sound military.
9. How are Ecclesiastical dominions so easily maintained?
10. What does Machiavelli mean when he says that dominions are obtained by either good Fortune or merit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critique Machiavelli's idea that a state or prince must have a strong, loyal military.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on why you would or would not have liked living during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)