|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
2. What does Machiavelli say are the two foundations necessary for a princedom?
3. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
5. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail how Machiavelli says Italian princes lose their dominions.
2. Explain Machiavelli's famous statement that is is better to be feared than loved.
3. Explain why Machiavelli believes a newly conquered territory is harder to govern than a hereditary dominion.
4. What is Machiavelli's advice regarding unasked for counsel?
5. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
6. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
7. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
8. How can a prince gain a reputation for great accomplishments and generosity without bringing about his own ruin?
9. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
10. Why should a new prince not set up a system of magistrates from among the people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the example of Cesare Borgia, write an essay entitled ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the influence of art during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why you think many people have not liked Machiavelli's book, THE PRINCE.
This section contains 1,346 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)