|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
2. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
3. How do the Medici come to power?
4. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
5. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
2. Describe the factors that may make it easier for a new prince to rule.
3. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
4. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
5. If a hereditary prince loses his dominion in war, will he be able to regain his former position? Explain.
6. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
7. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
8. Why is it easier to rule a princedom than it is to govern a state or republic?
9. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
10. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Machiavelli's statement that if a prince (or politician) establishes his authority, the means he uses will always be judged honorable. Use Cesare Borgia and Sadam Hussein as examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how Machiavelli's writing might be different if he were writing today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)