|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
2. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
3. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
4. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
5. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of reading does Machiavelli advise for the prince? Why?
2. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
3. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
4. Explain why Machiavelli believes a newly conquered territory is harder to govern than a hereditary dominion.
5. Detail how Machiavelli says Italian princes lose their dominions.
6. What does Machiavelli suggest the Medici do immediately to become the strong leaders that Italy needs?
7. Explain how Machiavelli sees the weakness of using auxiliary forces as a military for a princedom.
8. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
9. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
10. Why does Machiavelli say that war is the only art expected of a prince?
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
Essay Topic 2
Write a story about a young person's problem when two of his or her friends are fighting.
Essay Topic 3
Write a blog entry dealing with the question, Does the end justify the means?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)