|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
2. What does Machiavelli cite as the measure of strength of a principality?
3. What one thing does Machiavelli insist that every prince needs?
4. What does Machiavelli say about skilled mercenary captains?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the weakness of a mercenary military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Machiavelli mean when he says that dominions are obtained by either good Fortune or merit?
2. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
3. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
4. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
5. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
6. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
7. How are Ecclesiastical dominions so easily maintained?
8. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
9. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
10. Explain why Machiavelli does not speak about Republics in THE PRINCE.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critique Machiavelli's idea that a state or prince must have a strong, loyal military.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining how Machiavelli's writing might be different if he were writing today.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)