|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
2. Why did Machiavelli say that Italy has been overrun by Charles, plundered by Louis, ravished by Ferdinand, and dishonored by the Swiss?
3. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
4. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
5. What does Machiavelli say are the two foundations necessary for a princedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
2. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
3. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
4. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
5. Why is it easier to rule a princedom than it is to govern a state or republic?
6. What advantage does the hereditary prince have in maintaining his dominion?
7. What are the difficulties new princes face when setting up a new government?
8. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
9. At the time Machiavelli is writing, he recognizes only two types of existing government. Explain each.
10. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about why you think many people have not liked Machiavelli's book, THE PRINCE.
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion on the debate over whether or not religion has a place in state government. In preparation, review Chapter 11 on Ecclesiastical Princedoms.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on your feelings about Machiavelli's trying to get in with the family that overthrew his government and put him out of a job.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)