|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
2. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
3. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
4. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
5. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machiavelli distinguish between proper and improper use of cruelty?
2. How are Ecclesiastical dominions so easily maintained?
3. What are the difficulties new princes face when setting up a new government?
4. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
5. Explain why Machiavelli believes a newly conquered territory is harder to govern than a hereditary dominion.
6. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
7. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
8. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
9. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
10. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about why you think many people have not liked Machiavelli's book, THE PRINCE.
Essay Topic 2
Write a blog entry dealing with the question, Does the end justify the means?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story about an imaginary meeting between Machiavelli and the Godfather.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)