|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What combination of circumstances does Machiavelli identify in men like Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
2. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
3. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
4. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
5. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
2. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
3. How does Machiavelli distinguish between proper and improper use of cruelty?
4. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
5. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
6. Describe the factors that may make it easier for a new prince to rule.
7. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
8. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
9. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
10. Why is it easier to rule a princedom than it is to govern a state or republic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the example of Cesare Borgia, write an essay entitled ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how Machiavelli's writing might be different if he were writing today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on why you would or would not have liked living during the Italian Renaissance.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)