|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
2. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
3. What, according to Machiavelli, will always make a prince's position insecure?
4. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
2. Describe the factors that may make it easier for a new prince to rule.
3. At the time Machiavelli is writing, he recognizes only two types of existing government. Explain each.
4. If a hereditary prince loses his dominion in war, will he be able to regain his former position? Explain.
5. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
6. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
7. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
8. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
9. Describe the conditions that made it possible for Moses, Romulus, Cyrus, and Theseus to be successful in uniting their people.
10. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on your feelings about Machiavelli's trying to get in with the family that overthrew his government and put him out of a job.
Essay Topic 2
Write a story about a young person's problem when two of his or her friends are fighting.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the Italian Renaissance.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)