|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
2. Why did Machiavelli say that Italy has been overrun by Charles, plundered by Louis, ravished by Ferdinand, and dishonored by the Swiss?
3. Ending his discussion of Ecclesiastical Dominions, why is Machiavelli so circumspect about the current Pope?
4. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
5. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
2. Discuss the Duke of Ferrara as a prince who regained his prominence after a period of time.
3. At the time Machiavelli is writing, he recognizes only two types of existing government. Explain each.
4. How does Machiavelli say that hereditary States are the easier ones to control?
5. If a hereditary prince loses his dominion in war, will he be able to regain his former position? Explain.
6. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
7. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
8. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
9. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
10. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on your feelings about Machiavelli's trying to get in with the family that overthrew his government and put him out of a job.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of politicians trying to please everyone to stay in power.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the Medici family returning to power and what it meant to Machiavelli.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)