|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
2. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
3. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
4. Ending his discussion of Ecclesiastical Dominions, why is Machiavelli so circumspect about the current Pope?
5. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
2. How does Machiavelli distinguish between proper and improper use of cruelty?
3. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
4. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
5. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
6. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
7. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
8. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
9. What advantage does the hereditary prince have in maintaining his dominion?
10. Briefly write down how Machiavelli describes Agathocles of Sicily.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the influence of art during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion on the debate over whether or not religion has a place in state government. In preparation, review Chapter 11 on Ecclesiastical Princedoms.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)