|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Machiavelli, will always make a prince's position insecure?
2. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
4. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
5. Before Pope Alexander VI, what prevented the Church from gaining even more power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the difficulties new princes face when setting up a new government?
2. Explain why Machiavelli does not speak about Republics in THE PRINCE.
3. What advantage does the hereditary prince have in maintaining his dominion?
4. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
5. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
6. How are Ecclesiastical dominions so easily maintained?
7. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
8. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
9. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
10. Why is it easier to rule a princedom than it is to govern a state or republic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion on the debate over whether or not religion has a place in state government. In preparation, review Chapter 11 on Ecclesiastical Princedoms.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on why you would or would not have liked living during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 3
Write a story about how you imagine Prince Lorenzo de Medici reacted to THE PRINCE.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)