|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aside from granting favors to his subjects during a siege, what does Machiavelli suggest a wise prince might do?
2. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
3. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
4. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
5. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
2. Describe the conditions that made it possible for Moses, Romulus, Cyrus, and Theseus to be successful in uniting their people.
3. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
4. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
5. What are the difficulties new princes face when setting up a new government?
6. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
7. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
8. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
9. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
10. Discuss the Duke of Ferrara as a prince who regained his prominence after a period of time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how education or the lack of it played a part in the politics of Machiavelli's time.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on why you would or would not have liked living during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why you think many people have not liked Machiavelli's book, THE PRINCE.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)