|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
2. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
3. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
4. What does Machiavelli say about skilled mercenary captains?
5. If a city is well fortified against attack, what will cause the enemy to retreat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
2. What does Machiavelli mean when he says that dominions are obtained by either good Fortune or merit?
3. At the time Machiavelli is writing, he recognizes only two types of existing government. Explain each.
4. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
5. Explain why Machiavelli does not speak about Republics in THE PRINCE.
6. What are the difficulties new princes face when setting up a new government?
7. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
8. Describe the conditions that made it possible for Moses, Romulus, Cyrus, and Theseus to be successful in uniting their people.
9. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
10. Why should a new prince not set up a system of magistrates from among the people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critique Machiavelli's idea that a state or prince must have a strong, loyal military.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about why you think many people have not liked Machiavelli's book, THE PRINCE.
Essay Topic 3
Write a story about how you imagine Prince Lorenzo de Medici reacted to THE PRINCE.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)