|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
2. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
3. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
4. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
5. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
2. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
3. Describe the factors that may make it easier for a new prince to rule.
4. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
5. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
6. What advantage does the hereditary prince have in maintaining his dominion?
7. How does Machiavelli distinguish between proper and improper use of cruelty?
8. If a hereditary prince loses his dominion in war, will he be able to regain his former position? Explain.
9. Why should a new prince not set up a system of magistrates from among the people?
10. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story about an imaginary meeting between Machiavelli and the Godfather.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on why you would or would not have liked living during the Italian Renaissance.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli favored the death penalty. Write an essay expressing your opinion on that subject.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)