|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
(a) He refused to pay them.
(b) He had them cut to pieces.
(c) He hired more mercenaries.
(d) He put them on the front lines to be killed.
2. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
(a) Eventually his liberality will lead to burdensome taxation.
(b) People will not take him seriously when he has a problem.
(c) He will not have time to enjoy his own life.
(d) Everyone will always fear him because he might take away his liberality.
3. How does Machiavelli say a prince should keep the attention of the people?
(a) By keeping a low profile.
(b) By taking bold actions.
(c) By using his nobles to speak to the people.
(d) By explaining everything to the people.
4. What is the best type of mind Machiavelli says is needed for a strong prince?
(a) One that can understand what other men think.
(b) One that takes only a short time to make a decision
(c) One that can think for himself.
(d) One that has no opinions whatsoever.
5. What response does a prince receive if he is seen as fickle, effeminate, cowardly, frivolous, or irresolute?
(c) Strong support.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli cite as an example of generosity that ended badly?
2. What does Machiavelli warn the prince against?
3. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
4. What does Machiavelli say are the two main reasons for a prince to lose his dominion?
5. How will a prince often be judged by others?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)