Final Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
(a) Those borrowed from other principalities to wage war.
(b) Extra manpower that may be called to active duty during a war.
(c) Women mercenaries who fight along side of men.
(d) The best insurance a prince has for his safety.
2. How can honesty in other people cause the prince to lose respect?
(a) When the prince never believes anything he hears.
(b) When the honesty is really only half truths.
(c) When their honesty is not recognized for what it is.
(d) When people are not afraid of offending the prince by what they say.
3. What does the wise prince do to maintain the loyalty of the people?
(a) Plays with the people and leaves the government up to someone else.
(b) Exasperates the nobles and therefore pleases the people.
(c) Does both popular and unpopular actions always in a fair manner.
(d) Perfroms the popular acts himself and delegates unpopular actions to someone else.
4. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
(a) Samson and Delilah.
(b) Egypt and Syria.
(c) Caleb and Joshua.
(d) David and Goliath.
5. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(b) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
(c) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
(d) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli mean when he says "impetuousness is better than calculation"?
2. What is more effective than honesty in a prince?
3. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
4. What Roman Emperor does Machiavelli cite as an example of being both a lion and a fox?
5. What can a new prince be assured of?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)