|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
(a) Military barracks surrounding his palace.
(b) A palace in the center of the city.
(c) A palace surrounded by a wide moat.
(d) Favorable public opinion.
2. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
(a) People will not take him seriously when he has a problem.
(b) Everyone will always fear him because he might take away his liberality.
(c) He will not have time to enjoy his own life.
(d) Eventually his liberality will lead to burdensome taxation.
3. Which statement is true according to Machiavelli?
(a) It is better to be feared than loved.
(b) Men care more about offending those they love than those they fear.
(c) A prince should be quick to believe and quick to act.
(d) Men are more likely to break a promise made in fear.
4. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
(a) He had them cut to pieces.
(b) He hired more mercenaries.
(c) He put them on the front lines to be killed.
(d) He refused to pay them.
5. How does Machiavelli say a prince should keep the attention of the people?
(a) By explaining everything to the people.
(b) By keeping a low profile.
(c) By taking bold actions.
(d) By using his nobles to speak to the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should a prince declare himself as for or against two warring factions?
2. How will a prince often be judged by others?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is wrong with concepts of an ideal princedom or republic.
4. What is the advantage of being miserly?
5. What does the wise prince do to maintain the loyalty of the people?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)