|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best type of mind Machiavelli says is needed for a strong prince?
(a) One that can understand what other men think.
(b) One that has no opinions whatsoever.
(c) One that takes only a short time to make a decision
(d) One that can think for himself.
2. Why does Machiavelli say that the sultans of Turkey and Egypt had to listen more to the military than to the people?
(a) Their countries were controlled by the military.
(b) All the men were drafted into the military.
(c) The best people were in their militaries.
(d) The people did not understand the threats of invasion.
3. Which statement is true according to Machiavelli?
(a) Men care more about offending those they love than those they fear.
(b) Men are more likely to break a promise made in fear.
(c) It is better to be feared than loved.
(d) A prince should be quick to believe and quick to act.
4. What does the wise prince do to maintain the loyalty of the people?
(a) Does both popular and unpopular actions always in a fair manner.
(b) Exasperates the nobles and therefore pleases the people.
(c) Perfroms the popular acts himself and delegates unpopular actions to someone else.
(d) Plays with the people and leaves the government up to someone else.
5. How does Machiavelli say a prince can make himself feared without making himself hated?
(a) By taking the women away.
(b) By leaving people's property alone.
(c) By giving pardons to criminals.
(d) By hanging only unpopular criminals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
2. What must a prince always do concerning advice?
3. What does Machiavelli see as an insurmountable chasm?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is wrong with concepts of an ideal princedom or republic.
5. What is the advantage of taking sides when both warring factions are weaker than the prince?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
2. What is Machiavelli's position on neutrality? Explain.
3. How does Machiavelli disagree with those who believe everything is controlled by God and Fortune.
4. How does Machiavelli tell the prince to avoid assassination attempts against him?
5. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
6. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
7. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
8. What does Machiavelli say is the first estimate of a prince as a ruler? Why?
9. Explain Machiavelli's famous statement that is is better to be feared than loved.
10. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)