|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How will a prince often be judged by others?
(a) By the number of sons he has.
(b) By the behavior of his ministers.
(c) By the size of his palace.
(d) By the family he marries into.
2. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
(a) Knowing how to locate the enemy, deploy his soldiers, and lay siege to a city.
(b) Making constant changes in his miliary command.
(c) Frequently reviewing his troops.
(d) Making sure he has the money to pay his mercenaries.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest will be the reaction of the people if he is greedy and seizes property and women?
(a) They will hate him.
(b) They will become like him.
(c) They will think he is a just ruler.
(d) They will support him.
4. Those who were viewed with suspicion at the beginning of a princedom usually become the most loyal subjects. Why?
(a) They work hard to gain the approval of the prince.
(b) They never did anything to cause distrust in the first place.
(c) The prince will use them for unpopular tasks.
(d) The prince was a poor judge of character in the beginning.
5. What results when a ruler lacks resolution and his mind is easily changed.
(a) The people have no confidence in him.
(b) Everyone knows what to expect. from the laws.
(c) Ministers always wait to see what a final decision will be.
(d) The people like his easy going style.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement is true according to Machiavelli?
2. What must a prince always do concerning advice?
3. Why should a prince declare himself as for or against two warring factions?
4. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
5. Ferdinand of Spain became strong by waging war. What did he use to do that and get the people behind him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
2. Explain how Machiavelli sees the weakness of using auxiliary forces as a military for a princedom.
3. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
4. How does Machiavelli tell the prince to avoid assassination attempts against him?
5. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
6. Because new princes are closely watched, what does Machiavelli say they must do?
7. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
8. Give examples of leaders who recognized the need for their own loyal troops.
9. Explain how Machiavelli sees Utopian ideas of principalities and republics.
10. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)