|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say a prince can make himself feared without making himself hated?
(a) By hanging only unpopular criminals.
(b) By taking the women away.
(c) By giving pardons to criminals.
(d) By leaving people's property alone.
2. How can honesty in other people cause the prince to lose respect?
(a) When their honesty is not recognized for what it is.
(b) When the honesty is really only half truths.
(c) When the prince never believes anything he hears.
(d) When people are not afraid of offending the prince by what they say.
3. What is the one thing a man cannot fight against according to Machiavelli?
(b) Man's own nature.
(c) The weather.
(d) Overwhelming bad fortune.
4. What does Machiavelli say are the two main reasons for a prince to lose his dominion?
(a) Relying on past experience and not planning for the unexpected.
(b) Relying on himself and not listening to sound advice.
(c) Relying entirely on fate or making the wrong provisions for expected misfortune.
(d) Relying on the church and neglecting to read history.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest will be the reaction of the people if he is greedy and seizes property and women?
(a) They will hate him.
(b) They will become like him.
(c) They will support him.
(d) They will think he is a just ruler.
6. Although Machiavelli says that Pope Julius II was impetuous in all he did, still he succeeded. Why?
(a) He relied on God to keep him safe.
(b) His actions fit the times.
(c) Fate caused many changes during his time.
(d) Because of his successes, he always looked for new ways of doing things.
7. How will the prince be seen if his ministers are capable and wise even though he is not?
(a) He will be seen as a puppet to his ministers.
(b) He will be seen as having a great deal of luck.
(c) He will be seen as capable and wise.
(d) He will be seen as inferior.
8. How will a prince often be judged by others?
(a) By the behavior of his ministers.
(b) By the family he marries into.
(c) By the number of sons he has.
(d) By the size of his palace.
9. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
(a) Ramses II
(c) The sons of Sforza, Duke of Milan
(d) Philopoemonm, Prince of the Achaians
10. What does Machiavelli say is the problem with remaining neutral between two warring sides?
(a) It cuts off all diplomatic relations.
(b) It loses former allies.
(c) It gives the appearance of self-importance.
(d) It is impossible to do.
11. Machiavelli's political thought is influenced greatly by the ideas of what?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The writings of Aristotle.
(c) The strength of the Medici.
(d) The Italian Rennaissance.
12. What is the first test of a new prince as a judge?
(a) The amount of public aid he offers the people.
(b) The number of executions he orders at the beginning of his reign.
(c) The wisdom and ability of the ministers he chooses to help him.
(d) Firing his military leaders and putting them into prison.
13. What does Machiavelli say the King of Naples and the Duke of Milan had in common?
(a) They both learned quickly how to rule effectively.
(b) They both lost their dominions in Italy.
(c) They both had great skill in dealing with the nobles.
(d) They both improved the laws in their dominions.
14. Why is a reputation for cruelty necessary for a prince?
(a) To keep people from asking too much.
(b) To defend himself from mercenaries.
(c) To show his tough love.
(d) To maintain control of his army.
15. What is more effective than honesty in a prince?
(d) Good looks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli tell the prince is more important than morality in government?
2. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
3. Who is Machiavelli's ultimate example of the correct use of cruelty?
4. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
5. Why does Machiavelli insist that a prince recalled by the people after being conquered offers him no security?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)