|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the people to begin to support the new prince?
(a) Getting surprise gifts from the prince.
(b) Having audiences with the prince.
(c) Seeing they are well off.
(d) Seeing many changes in their daily lives.
2. How is a prince ultimately judged?
(a) By the mob.
(b) By his wealth and grandeur.
(c) By his results.
(d) By his years as a prince.
3. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(a) Disdain for the past.
(c) More and more innovation.
4. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
(a) That he will always be ready to defend the people.
(b) That he is more important than the people.
(c) That he trusts his military advisors.
(d) That he fears the people.
5. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
(a) Free elections.
(b) Political intrigue.
(c) Appeals to the Pope of Rome.
(d) The arms of others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
2. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
3. After Alexander VI, how did the Pope continue to strengthen the Church's position?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the weakness of a mercenary military?
5. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)