|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should live there.
(b) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
(c) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
(d) The new Prince should raise taxes.
2. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
(b) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
(c) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
(d) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
3. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
(a) To restore the Roman Empire.
(b) To keep foreigners out of Italy.
(c) To form an Italian Republic.
(d) To war among themselves.
4. Ending his discussion of Ecclesiastical Dominions, why is Machiavelli so circumspect about the current Pope?
(a) Pope Leo does not support the Medici.
(b) Pope Leo fears Niccolo Machiavelli.
(c) Pope Leo is the uncle of Lorenzo de Medici.
(d) Pope Leo might give Machiavelli a job.
5. What Roman Emperor does Machiavelli cite as an example of being both a lion and a fox?
(a) Antonius Severus.
(b) Marc Anthony.
(c) Julius Caesar.
(d) Septimius Severus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli cite as an example of generosity that ended badly?
2. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
3. In the event that the prince cannot afford a large army, what should he do?
4. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
5. How will a prince often be judged by others?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)