|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
(a) Helping the Spanish cardinals elect a Spanish Pope.
(b) Failure to get medical attention soon enough.
(c) Allowing the election of Pope Julius II.
(d) Distancing himself from the French court.
2. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
(a) Personal introductions to great men Machiavelli knows.
(b) The chance to become king of all Italy.
(c) Means of mastering in a short time all Machiavelli has learned about governing.
(d) A large book of rules for new princes to use in governing the people.
3. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He tried all methods of government himself.
(b) He relied on his own intuitions.
(c) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
(d) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
4. What does the wise prince do to maintain the loyalty of the people?
(a) Perfroms the popular acts himself and delegates unpopular actions to someone else.
(b) Plays with the people and leaves the government up to someone else.
(c) Does both popular and unpopular actions always in a fair manner.
(d) Exasperates the nobles and therefore pleases the people.
5. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
(a) They moved the Roman capital to Carthage.
(b) They destroyed them and set up their own system of government.
(c) They made them all Roman citizens with new priviliges.
(d) They allowed them to select government officials from their own citizens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
2. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
3. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
4. What does Machiavelli see as an insurmountable chasm?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)