|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Machiavelli's ultimate example of the correct use of cruelty?
(a) King Louis.
(b) Alexander the Great.
2. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
(a) By popular election.
(b) Through the help of friends.
(c) As a compromise between two parties.
(d) With a lot of money behind him.
3. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(b) With great difficulty.
(c) It is impossible.
4. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Change his residence whenever he likes.
(b) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
(c) Travel any time he wants.
(d) Move the subjects from place to place.
5. How does Machiavelli say that the great military leaders of history were so successful?
(a) By relying on hired soldiers from other countries.
(b) By studying the arts.
(c) By imitating the great men before them.
(d) By finding new ways to avoid war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the wise prince do to maintain the loyalty of the people?
2. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
3. Why does Machiavelli say that the sultans of Turkey and Egypt had to listen more to the military than to the people?
4. How can honesty in other people cause the prince to lose respect?
5. What does Machiavelli tell the prince is more important than morality in government?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)