|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Medici come to power?
(a) Through war.
(b) Through democratic elections.
(c) Through clever political manipulation.
(d) Through inheritance.
2. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
(a) His ill health after the death of his father.
(b) His bad choices of political allies.
(c) His opposition from the new Pope after the death of Alexander IV.
(d) His lack of knowledge of what to do after his father's death.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(b) Each day being the same as the day before.
(c) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(d) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
4. What ancient example does Machiavelli use to illustrate the rise to power through criminal actions?
(a) Alexander the Great.
(c) Agathocles of Sicily.
(d) Pope Alexander IV.
5. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
(a) They refused to resort to political assassination.
(b) They got their positions from other princes.
(c) They knew what they wanted and made a plan to get it.
(d) They were both Italians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
2. How does Machiavelli justify his position that a prince is not duty bound to keep his word?
3. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
4. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
5. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)