|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) None whatsoever.
(b) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
(c) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
(d) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
2. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(b) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
(c) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
(d) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
3. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
(a) The importance of a republic.
(b) Arms and strategy.
(c) Good fortune and merit.
(d) Colonization and residency.
4. Why did Machiavelli say that Italy has been overrun by Charles, plundered by Louis, ravished by Ferdinand, and dishonored by the Swiss?
(a) Because it has no central government.
(b) Because too many people are in charge of the military.
(c) Because the Italians have forgotten the military methods of the Roman Empire.
(d) Because it has had only a mercenary military.
5. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
(b) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
(c) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
(d) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
2. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
3. What is Machiavelli's advice about people who do things that ultimately enrich the princedom?
4. What is the first test of a new prince as a judge?
5. What causes the people to begin to support the new prince?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)