|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say a private citizen might make himself a prince?
(a) By hiring his own mercenaries.
(b) By avoiding war and promoting peace.
(c) By becoming a puppet of an enemy military.
(d) By becoming proficient in war and rising in rank.
2. How will the prince be seen if his ministers are capable and wise even though he is not?
(a) He will be seen as capable and wise.
(b) He will be seen as inferior.
(c) He will be seen as having a great deal of luck.
(d) He will be seen as a puppet to his ministers.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
(a) A palace in the center of the city.
(b) Military barracks surrounding his palace.
(c) Favorable public opinion.
(d) A palace surrounded by a wide moat.
4. Machiavelli's political thought is influenced greatly by the ideas of what?
(a) The strength of the Medici.
(b) The writings of Aristotle.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The Italian Rennaissance.
5. What does the prince gain from rewarding his ministers well for jobs well done?
(a) He gets their support without fear of their trying to overthrow him.
(b) He gets losts of gifts from those ministers who become wealthy.
(c) He gets a percentage of all those ministers make from taking bribes.
(d) He gets time to look around for new ministers who are not so dangerous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
2. Who is Machiavelli's ultimate example of the correct use of cruelty?
3. How do the Medici come to power?
4. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
5. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)