|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aside from granting favors to his subjects during a siege, what does Machiavelli suggest a wise prince might do?
(a) Bribe his nobles to help him.
(b) Get his subjects to do favors for him.
(c) Have parties within the walls as though nothing is wrong outside.
(d) Make promises he knows he could never keep.
2. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
(a) Using language of respect that is usually spoken before a prince.
(b) Giving only the facts of great leaders and how they governed.
(c) Using high sounding literary devices to make the work seem more important.
(d) Making everything brief in his writing so that main points are missed.
3. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
4. What is a constant threat to any prince?
(b) Loss of income.
5. When rule by law is ineffective, what does Machiavelli advise the prince to use?
(a) Great honesty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the people to begin to support the new prince?
2. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
3. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
4. What combination of circumstances does Machiavelli identify in men like Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
5. What does Machiavelli say the King of Naples and the Duke of Milan had in common?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)