|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
(a) Free elections.
(b) Political intrigue.
(c) Appeals to the Pope of Rome.
(d) The arms of others.
2. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
(a) He insulted Prince Lorenzo de Medici.
(b) He has been working for the government overthrown by the Medici.
(c) He has taken too much time off.
(d) He has had a long illness.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
(a) Military barracks surrounding his palace.
(b) A palace surrounded by a wide moat.
(c) A palace in the center of the city.
(d) Favorable public opinion.
4. What does Machiavelli suggest will be the reaction of the people if he is greedy and seizes property and women?
(a) They will become like him.
(b) They will support him.
(c) They will think he is a just ruler.
(d) They will hate him.
5. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
(a) To keep foreigners out of Italy.
(b) To war among themselves.
(c) To form an Italian Republic.
(d) To restore the Roman Empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
2. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
3. Why does Machiavelli argue against a prince being overly generous?
4. What does Machiavelli see as an insurmountable chasm?
5. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)