|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
(a) That he recognizes Machiavelli's genius.
(b) That he attain all the merits he deserves.
(c) That he not become a tyrant.
(d) That he sets up a completely new form of government.
2. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
(a) There is only one person of higher rank than the prince.
(b) No one is confused about who the ruler is.
(c) The people vest in him more complete authority.
(d) In case of revolt, there is only one person to assassinate.
3. What is a constant threat to any prince?
(c) Loss of income.
4. What, according to Machiavelli, will always make a prince's position insecure?
(a) Failure to spend the money for a mercenary military.
(b) Putting too much emphasis on military rule.
(c) Relying on mercenary or auxiliary military forces.
(d) Being in control of the military.
5. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
(b) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
(c) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
(d) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
2. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
3. How does Machiavelli say a private citizen might make himself a prince?
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
5. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)