|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphor does Machiavelli use to explain his ideas about Fortune?
(a) We cannot stop a river from overflowing, but we can make provisions against the disaster.
(b) We cannot control the wind and are blown about by it.
(c) Fortune as a mistress who always gets the upper hand on man.
(d) The animals know when to seek higher ground even before a flood happens.
2. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
(a) Because he was not successful in gaining control of Sicily.
(b) Because his cruelty continued after he came to power.
(c) Because he came from humble beginnings.
(d) Beause he did not plan what to do after he became prince.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(b) Keep the old system in place.
(c) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(d) Declare many holidays.
4. Why should a prince declare himself as for or against two warring factions?
(a) He will always know which side will win.
(b) He should not be seen as waivering.
(c) He should look like he is wiser than other princes.
(d) He will be able to deal with the loser.
5. Although Machiavelli says that Pope Julius II was impetuous in all he did, still he succeeded. Why?
(a) Fate caused many changes during his time.
(b) Because of his successes, he always looked for new ways of doing things.
(c) His actions fit the times.
(d) He relied on God to keep him safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
2. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
3. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
4. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
5. Aside from granting favors to his subjects during a siege, what does Machiavelli suggest a wise prince might do?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)