|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(b) Each day being the same as the day before.
(c) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(d) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a ruler in whom his people have no confidence?
(a) Pope Alexander VI.
(b) Emperor Maximillian.
(c) King Louis of France.
(d) King Ferdinand of Spain.
3. Why does Machiavelli say that the sultans of Turkey and Egypt had to listen more to the military than to the people?
(a) The best people were in their militaries.
(b) Their countries were controlled by the military.
(c) The people did not understand the threats of invasion.
(d) All the men were drafted into the military.
4. Why does Machiavelli insist that a prince recalled by the people after being conquered offers him no security?
(a) It does not depend upon the prince himself for success.
(b) It is noble and, therefore, weak.
(c) It is probably only a stop-gap moment.
(d) It is only a last ditch effort at establishing the dominion.
5. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Travel any time he wants.
(b) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
(c) Change his residence whenever he likes.
(d) Move the subjects from place to place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first test of a new prince as a judge?
2. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
4. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
5. Ferdinand of Spain became strong by waging war. What did he use to do that and get the people behind him?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)