|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
(a) State and Dominion.
(b) Kingdom and City State.
(c) City State and Territory.
(d) State and Republic.
2. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
(c) Absolute monarchy.
3. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
(a) Being at the right place and in the right time.
(b) The intervention of God.
(c) The will of the people.
(d) A person's innate ability.
4. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
(a) Louis XII of France.
(b) Duke Lodovico.
(c) Archduke Ferdinand of Austria.
(d) Charles I of Spain.
5. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
(a) A well paid mercenary captain.
(b) A relative of the prince.
(c) The prince himself.
(d) A trusted civilian commander.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
2. Why should a prince declare himself as for or against two warring factions?
3. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
4. Who is Machiavelli's ultimate example of the correct use of cruelty?
5. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)