|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dichotomy does Machiavelli present regarding goodness and vices in a prince?
(a) His goodness may lead to his downfall whereas his vices may sometimes keep him safe.
(b) Vices can be balanced out by the amount of fear they generate.
(c) People see goodness as weakness and vices as strengths.
(d) Goodness will preserve his princedom while vices will bring his downfall.
2. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
(a) People will not take him seriously when he has a problem.
(b) Everyone will always fear him because he might take away his liberality.
(c) Eventually his liberality will lead to burdensome taxation.
(d) He will not have time to enjoy his own life.
3. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
(a) By becoming jealous of his new power.
(b) By deciding that they do not need the prince.
(c) By going elsewhere to fight new battles.
(d) By not receiving what was promised to them.
4. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
(a) Men always think a new government will be worse than before.
(b) People think the new government will be more of the same.
(c) It is rarely the case that new rulers improve the lives of the conquered.
(d) Old leaders must be kept alive and included in the new government.
5. How does Machiavelli define avarice?
(a) Being nothing but a warrior.
(b) Being miserly and not generous enough.
(c) Being of the disposition to take what is not one's own.
(d) Being so generous that he has nothing left.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
2. What does Machiavelli tell the prince is more important than morality in government?
3. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
4. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
5. Why does Machiavelli say that the sultans of Turkey and Egypt had to listen more to the military than to the people?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)