|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(b) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(c) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
(d) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
2. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
(a) Samson and Delilah.
(b) Egypt and Syria.
(c) Caleb and Joshua.
(d) David and Goliath.
3. What Roman Emperor does Machiavelli cite as an example of being both a lion and a fox?
(a) Septimius Severus.
(b) Marc Anthony.
(c) Antonius Severus.
(d) Julius Caesar.
4. How do the Medici come to power?
(a) Through clever political manipulation.
(b) Through inheritance.
(c) Through war.
(d) Through democratic elections.
5. Which examples does Machiavelli use to support the idea of not being overly generous?
(a) The King of Spain and the King of France.
(b) King Saul and Ramses the Great.
(c) Moses and the Duke of Milan.
(d) King Midas and King Darius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
2. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
3. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
4. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
5. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)