|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
(b) Change his residence whenever he likes.
(c) Travel any time he wants.
(d) Move the subjects from place to place.
2. What does Machiavelli suggest is the weakness of a mercenary military?
(a) It is too expensive to keep up during peace times.
(b) It works only for pay and may defect to the opposition or simply run away.
(c) It is only useful during times of war.
(d) It is difficult to replace members who decide to return to their homes.
3. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
(a) That he is more important than the people.
(b) That he trusts his military advisors.
(c) That he fears the people.
(d) That he will always be ready to defend the people.
4. Which examples does Machiavelli use to support the idea of not being overly generous?
(a) The King of Spain and the King of France.
(b) King Saul and Ramses the Great.
(c) Moses and the Duke of Milan.
(d) King Midas and King Darius.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(b) Declare many holidays.
(c) Keep the old system in place.
(d) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
2. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
3. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
4. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
5. What is the best type of mind Machiavelli says is needed for a strong prince?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)