|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the event that the prince cannot afford a large army, what should he do?
(a) Negotiate diplomatically with any potential enemies.
(b) Have a good plan to escape if attacked.
(c) Make sure his city is well fortified.
(d) Post lookouts in the countryside.
2. What does Machiavelli say about skilled mercenary captains?
(a) They will only take orders from the prince.
(b) They are hard to find.
(c) They are too expensive.
(d) They cannot be trusted.
3. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
(a) He died of natural causes before he could become Prince of Fermo.
(b) A son of one of the murdered men put poison in his wine.
(c) He was accidentally killed by a poorly aimed arrow.
(d) Cesare Borgia did the same thing to him.
4. Who is Machiavelli's ultimate example of the correct use of cruelty?
(b) King Louis.
(c) Alexander the Great.
5. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
(b) Easily maintained.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
2. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
3. What does Machiavelli mean when he says "impetuousness is better than calculation"?
4. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
5. After Alexander VI, how did the Pope continue to strengthen the Church's position?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)