|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say are the two foundations necessary for a princedom?
(a) Sound laws and a sound military.
(b) A popular prince and a mercenary military.
(c) Total military rule and a contented public.
(d) Sound laws that do not rely on a military.
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Ferrara.
(b) The Duke of Earle.
(c) The Duke of Milan.
(d) The Duke of Genoa.
3. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
(a) He refused to pay them.
(b) He hired more mercenaries.
(c) He put them on the front lines to be killed.
(d) He had them cut to pieces.
4. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Move the subjects from place to place.
(b) Travel any time he wants.
(c) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
(d) Change his residence whenever he likes.
5. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(b) Disdain for the past.
(d) More and more innovation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
2. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
3. How does Machiavelli define avarice?
4. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
5. Who does Machiavelli assign blame to when a prince loses his dominion?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)