|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say are the two main reasons for a prince to lose his dominion?
(a) Relying on himself and not listening to sound advice.
(b) Relying entirely on fate or making the wrong provisions for expected misfortune.
(c) Relying on past experience and not planning for the unexpected.
(d) Relying on the church and neglecting to read history.
2. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
(b) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
(c) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
(d) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
3. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
(a) Dominions are much larger than republics.
(b) He wrote about republics in another work.
(c) He thought dominions were much harder to keep.
(d) There were no republics in his day.
4. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
(a) Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan.
(b) The military head of the Orsini.
(c) King Luis XII of France.
(d) Pope Alexander IV.
5. Which examples does Machiavelli use to support the idea of not being overly generous?
(a) The King of Spain and the King of France.
(b) King Midas and King Darius.
(c) King Saul and Ramses the Great.
(d) Moses and the Duke of Milan.
Short Answer Questions
1. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
2. When rule by law is ineffective, what does Machiavelli advise the prince to use?
3. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
4. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
5. What, according to Machiavelli, will always make a prince's position insecure?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)