|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is a reputation for cruelty necessary for a prince?
(a) To defend himself from mercenaries.
(b) To keep people from asking too much.
(c) To maintain control of his army.
(d) To show his tough love.
2. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
(a) The new Kingdom of Naples.
(b) Venice under the Doge.
(c) Milan under Francesco Sforza.
(d) The Kingdom of Spain.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(b) Each day being the same as the day before.
(c) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(d) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
4. Ferdinand of Spain became strong by waging war. What did he use to do that and get the people behind him?
(a) He only chose popular wars.
(b) The prosperity from military spending.
(c) The name of religion.
(d) The divine right of kings.
5. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
(a) Louis XII of France.
(b) Duke Lodovico.
(c) Archduke Ferdinand of Austria.
(d) Charles I of Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
2. How does Machiavelli say a prince should keep the attention of the people?
3. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
4. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
5. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)