|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say is the problem with remaining neutral between two warring sides?
(a) It is impossible to do.
(b) It cuts off all diplomatic relations.
(c) It loses former allies.
(d) It gives the appearance of self-importance.
2. What does the wise prince do to maintain the loyalty of the people?
(a) Does both popular and unpopular actions always in a fair manner.
(b) Plays with the people and leaves the government up to someone else.
(c) Exasperates the nobles and therefore pleases the people.
(d) Perfroms the popular acts himself and delegates unpopular actions to someone else.
3. After Alexander VI, how did the Pope continue to strengthen the Church's position?
(a) By military invasions of other dominions.
(b) By putting monasteries in new dominions.
(c) By gaining more popularity among the Italians.
(d) By selling ecclesiastical offices and annexing land.
4. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
(a) If the people speak the same language.
(b) If the new Prince leaves the old rulers in place.
(c) If the people have never been ruled before.
(d) If the people like the new food introduced into the dominion.
5. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
(a) By becoming jealous of his new power.
(b) By deciding that they do not need the prince.
(c) By not receiving what was promised to them.
(d) By going elsewhere to fight new battles.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his discussion of the qualities of a good leader, how does Machiavelli depart from the accepted rules?
2. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
3. What does Machiavelli say the King of Naples and the Duke of Milan had in common?
4. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
5. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)