|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the advantage of taking sides when both warring factions are weaker than the prince?
(a) He will get money from the side he chooses.
(b) He eliminates one and gains the obligation of the other.
(c) He could become a prisoner if he does not.
(d) He can take over both principalities after the war is over.
2. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A cartographer.
(b) A choreographer.
(c) A chemist.
(d) A professor.
3. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
(a) The conquered people get lots of land and plenty to eat.
(b) The people can now take justice into their own hands.
(c) The only people really annoyed will be those who have lost their land.
(d) The people who have been harmed can take revenge easily.
4. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
(a) He is removing political involvement of the church.
(b) He is removing constitutional authority.
(c) He is removing objections to the combination of church and state.
(d) He is removing God from politics and the power equation.
5. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
(a) One that does not come from a long line of ruling ancestors.
(b) One that is an entirely new settlement.
(c) One that kills all the citizens of the old regime.
(d) One that comes from political intrigue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
2. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
3. Those who were viewed with suspicion at the beginning of a princedom usually become the most loyal subjects. Why?
4. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
5. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)