|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
(a) Making sure he has the money to pay his mercenaries.
(b) Knowing how to locate the enemy, deploy his soldiers, and lay siege to a city.
(c) Making constant changes in his miliary command.
(d) Frequently reviewing his troops.
2. What Roman Emperor does Machiavelli cite as an example of being both a lion and a fox?
(a) Marc Anthony.
(b) Antonius Severus.
(c) Septimius Severus.
(d) Julius Caesar.
3. What does Machiavelli say the new prince can least afford?
(c) Excessive kindness.
4. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
(a) He can tell them about the cruelties of the enemy if they are captured.
(b) He can issue food stamps.
(c) He can make them believe it is all just an illusion.
(d) He can tell them it is not as bad as it looks from inside the city walls.
5. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
(a) Revolution among the lowest class of subjects.
(b) Disagreements within a family of hereditary rulers.
(c) Public elections.
(d) Extrodinary and irresistable force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say about skilled mercenary captains?
2. What is the advantage of taking sides when both warring factions are weaker than the prince?
3. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
4. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
5. What dichotomy does Machiavelli present regarding goodness and vices in a prince?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)