|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
(a) He retired d'Orco and gave him a lifetime pension.
(b) He executed d'Orco to make the people love and trust him.
(c) He gave d'Orco the power to kill anyone who opposed him.
(d) He told the people that d'Orco was acting on his orders.
2. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
(a) A relative of the prince.
(b) The prince himself.
(c) A well paid mercenary captain.
(d) A trusted civilian commander.
3. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
(a) The prince becomes lazy and leaves everything up to the barons.
(b) The prince does always knows what the barons are doing in their territories.
(c) If the prince dies the barons all lose their hereditary titles.
(d) The barons hold their titles by heredity and not by the favor of the prince, so there is less loyalty.
4. What is it that a prince cannot control among his subjects?
(a) Their fear.
(b) Their taxation.
(c) Their cooperation.
(d) Their love.
5. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
(a) That he not become a tyrant.
(b) That he sets up a completely new form of government.
(c) That he attain all the merits he deserves.
(d) That he recognizes Machiavelli's genius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
2. Ending his discussion of Ecclesiastical Dominions, why is Machiavelli so circumspect about the current Pope?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
4. What does Machiavelli see as an insurmountable chasm?
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)