|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
(a) He rejected the idea outright as a madness of the Greeks.
(b) He considered them inferior.
(c) He called democracy by another name.
(d) None existed at that time.
2. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
(a) Making everything brief in his writing so that main points are missed.
(b) Giving only the facts of great leaders and how they governed.
(c) Using high sounding literary devices to make the work seem more important.
(d) Using language of respect that is usually spoken before a prince.
3. How does Machiavelli justify his position that a prince is not duty bound to keep his word?
(a) He says men are basically self-centered and will not keep their word, so the prince is not obligated to do so.
(b) He says that a prince should always change his mind about everything until he gets all the facts.
(c) He says it is the only way to keep the people satisfied that he knows what he is doing.
(d) He says that people always believe everything a prince says, so he can say what he pleases.
4. What does Machiavelli say is the problem with remaining neutral between two warring sides?
(a) It loses former allies.
(b) It gives the appearance of self-importance.
(c) It cuts off all diplomatic relations.
(d) It is impossible to do.
5. What does Machiavelli see as an insurmountable chasm?
(a) Idealism and Christian philosophy of living.
(b) The reality of the way we live versus the ideas of how we ought to live.
(c) The difference between the very rich and the very poor.
(d) The understanding of the people versus the understanding of the prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
2. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
3. What does Machiavelli say about skilled mercenary captains?
4. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
5. What one thing does Machiavelli insist that every prince needs?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)