|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the weakness of a mercenary military?
(a) It is only useful during times of war.
(b) It is difficult to replace members who decide to return to their homes.
(c) It is too expensive to keep up during peace times.
(d) It works only for pay and may defect to the opposition or simply run away.
2. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
(a) During times of peace.
(b) When he visits another prince.
(c) On hunting expeditions.
(d) When he is being invaded.
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
(a) Cesar Borgia of Romagna.
(b) Giorgio Scalli of Florence.
(c) Nabis, Prince of Sparta.
(d) Gracci of Rome.
4. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
(a) Heavy taxation.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Keep the old system in place.
(b) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(c) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(d) Declare many holidays.
Short Answer Questions
1. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
2. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
3. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
4. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
5. What is a constant threat to any prince?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)