|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
(a) Defeating the Carthiginians.
(b) Beheading anyone who opposed him.
(c) Getting the poor people to support him against the aristocracy.
(d) Assembling the Senate to confer and then having them all killed.
2. If a city is well fortified against attack, what will cause the enemy to retreat?
(a) They will retreat because the fortified city makes them believe there are other armies in the field.
(b) They will retreat because they do not have enough supplies to feed themselves.
(c) They will retreat because they are cold outside the walls of the city.
(d) They will retreat because they cannot afford a long seige.
3. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
(a) The people vest in him more complete authority.
(b) There is only one person of higher rank than the prince.
(c) In case of revolt, there is only one person to assassinate.
(d) No one is confused about who the ruler is.
4. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
(b) The people did not care who ruled them.
(c) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
(d) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
5. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
(a) The importance of a republic.
(b) Arms and strategy.
(c) Colonization and residency.
(d) Good fortune and merit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
2. Why is a reputation for cruelty necessary for a prince?
3. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
4. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
5. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)