|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(b) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(c) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(d) Each day being the same as the day before.
2. How is a prince ultimately judged?
(a) By the mob.
(b) By his wealth and grandeur.
(c) By his years as a prince.
(d) By his results.
3. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
(a) They succeeded by expanding on the Spartan idea.
(b) They failed and had to go back and destroy many cities.
(c) They succeeded by adding Roman universities to the Greek educational system.
(d) They found it easy to get Greeks to adopt Roman ways.
4. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
(b) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
(c) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
(d) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
5. How do the Medici come to power?
(a) Through clever political manipulation.
(b) Through war.
(c) Through inheritance.
(d) Through democratic elections.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
2. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
3. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
4. What does the wise prince do to maintain the loyalty of the people?
5. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)