|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
(a) Getting the poor people to support him against the aristocracy.
(b) Assembling the Senate to confer and then having them all killed.
(c) Beheading anyone who opposed him.
(d) Defeating the Carthiginians.
2. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
3. Ending his discussion of Ecclesiastical Dominions, why is Machiavelli so circumspect about the current Pope?
(a) Pope Leo does not support the Medici.
(b) Pope Leo is the uncle of Lorenzo de Medici.
(c) Pope Leo might give Machiavelli a job.
(d) Pope Leo fears Niccolo Machiavelli.
4. How do the Medici come to power?
(a) Through clever political manipulation.
(b) Through inheritance.
(c) Through war.
(d) Through democratic elections.
5. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
(a) Making constant changes in his miliary command.
(b) Making sure he has the money to pay his mercenaries.
(c) Knowing how to locate the enemy, deploy his soldiers, and lay siege to a city.
(d) Frequently reviewing his troops.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
2. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
3. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
4. What is Machiavelli's advice about people who do things that ultimately enrich the princedom?
5. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)