|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They changed their own forms of government.
(b) They held them for a thousand years.
(c) They lost the new territories.
(d) They learned how to retain a possession.
2. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
(a) That he is more important than the people.
(b) That he trusts his military advisors.
(c) That he will always be ready to defend the people.
(d) That he fears the people.
3. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
(a) Moses never actually established himself as a leader.
(b) There was something in Moses, some ability that made him worthy to speak with God.
(c) Instead of ruling the Egyptians after defeating them, he left.
(d) There is no histroy of Moses outside of the Jewish holy writings.
4. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
(a) One that comes from political intrigue.
(b) One that kills all the citizens of the old regime.
(c) One that is an entirely new settlement.
(d) One that does not come from a long line of ruling ancestors.
5. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
(a) Disarmed people cannot protect their prince.
(b) It shows that he either distrusts the people or fears them.
(c) It gives the people added duties and importance.
(d) Having arms is a basic human right.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
2. How does Machiavelli say a private citizen might make himself a prince?
3. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
4. What does Machiavelli cite as the measure of strength of a principality?
5. What does Machiavelli say are the two foundations necessary for a princedom?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)