|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
(a) Build a new palace.
(b) Learn quickly.
(c) Hand out money.
(d) Read his book.
2. What does Machiavelli see as an insurmountable chasm?
(a) The reality of the way we live versus the ideas of how we ought to live.
(b) Idealism and Christian philosophy of living.
(c) The difference between the very rich and the very poor.
(d) The understanding of the people versus the understanding of the prince.
3. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
(a) Using language of respect that is usually spoken before a prince.
(b) Making everything brief in his writing so that main points are missed.
(c) Using high sounding literary devices to make the work seem more important.
(d) Giving only the facts of great leaders and how they governed.
4. What is it that a prince cannot control among his subjects?
(a) Their love.
(b) Their taxation.
(c) Their fear.
(d) Their cooperation.
5. What does the wise prince do to maintain the loyalty of the people?
(a) Plays with the people and leaves the government up to someone else.
(b) Perfroms the popular acts himself and delegates unpopular actions to someone else.
(c) Exasperates the nobles and therefore pleases the people.
(d) Does both popular and unpopular actions always in a fair manner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
2. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
3. Which prince does Machiavelli say must be generous?
4. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
5. What one thing does Machiavelli insist that every prince needs?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)