|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
(a) Louis XII of France.
(b) Charles I of Spain.
(c) Duke Lodovico.
(d) Archduke Ferdinand of Austria.
2. What, according to Machiavelli, is better than actually having all the good qualities of leadership?
(a) Never forgetting anything said in the past.
(b) Keeping all promises.
(c) Having the appearance of being religious.
(d) Really understanding the problems of the people.
3. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
4. Who does Machiavelli cite as an example of generosity that ended badly?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) Alexander the Great.
(c) Marc Anthony.
5. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
(b) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
(c) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
(d) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
2. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
3. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
4. What is Machiavelli's advice about people who do things that ultimately enrich the princedom?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the weakness of a mercenary military?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)