|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
(a) There is only one person of higher rank than the prince.
(b) The people vest in him more complete authority.
(c) No one is confused about who the ruler is.
(d) In case of revolt, there is only one person to assassinate.
2. What is a constant threat to any prince?
(b) Loss of income.
3. What, according to Machiavelli, is better than actually having all the good qualities of leadership?
(a) Never forgetting anything said in the past.
(b) Keeping all promises.
(c) Having the appearance of being religious.
(d) Really understanding the problems of the people.
4. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
(a) He called democracy by another name.
(b) None existed at that time.
(c) He rejected the idea outright as a madness of the Greeks.
(d) He considered them inferior.
5. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
(a) Knowing how to locate the enemy, deploy his soldiers, and lay siege to a city.
(b) Making sure he has the money to pay his mercenaries.
(c) Frequently reviewing his troops.
(d) Making constant changes in his miliary command.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
2. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
4. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
5. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)