|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When rule by law is ineffective, what does Machiavelli advise the prince to use?
(b) Great honesty.
2. Which statement is true according to Machiavelli?
(a) It is better to be feared than loved.
(b) Men are more likely to break a promise made in fear.
(c) A prince should be quick to believe and quick to act.
(d) Men care more about offending those they love than those they fear.
3. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
(a) The art of diplomacy.
(b) The art of collecting.
(c) The art of fine living.
(d) The art of war.
4. Aside from granting favors to his subjects during a siege, what does Machiavelli suggest a wise prince might do?
(a) Make promises he knows he could never keep.
(b) Have parties within the walls as though nothing is wrong outside.
(c) Get his subjects to do favors for him.
(d) Bribe his nobles to help him.
5. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
Short Answer Questions
1. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
2. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
3. What ancient example does Machiavelli use to illustrate the rise to power through criminal actions?
4. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
5. Why does Machiavelli say that the sultans of Turkey and Egypt had to listen more to the military than to the people?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)