|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
(b) Heavy taxation.
2. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(b) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(c) Each day being the same as the day before.
(d) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
3. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
(a) The people vest in him more complete authority.
(b) No one is confused about who the ruler is.
(c) In case of revolt, there is only one person to assassinate.
(d) There is only one person of higher rank than the prince.
4. What does Machiavelli say are the two foundations necessary for a princedom?
(a) Total military rule and a contented public.
(b) A popular prince and a mercenary military.
(c) Sound laws that do not rely on a military.
(d) Sound laws and a sound military.
5. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
2. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
3. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
4. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
5. What does Machiavelli see as an insurmountable chasm?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)