|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(b) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
(c) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
(d) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
2. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
(a) He suggests that there is a proper use of cruelty.
(b) He states that political assassination is not cruelty.
(c) He believes that cruelty must continue to be successful.
(d) He says any use of cruelty cannot be justified.
3. Who is Machiavelli's ultimate example of the correct use of cruelty?
(a) King Louis.
(b) Alexander the Great.
4. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
(b) Easily maintained.
5. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
3. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
4. What is a constant threat to any prince?
5. How does Machiavelli justify his position that a prince is not duty bound to keep his word?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)