|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
(a) Hand out money.
(b) Learn quickly.
(c) Read his book.
(d) Build a new palace.
2. Who can successfully gain the reputation for generosity but not ruin himself in the process?
(a) A prince who goes to war to create jobs for his subjects.
(b) A prince who has unlimited resources.
(c) A prince who only gives when he can expect a generous return.
(d) A prince who gives away someone else's money.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
(b) The new Prince should raise taxes.
(c) The new Prince should live there.
(d) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
4. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
(b) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
(c) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
(d) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
5. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
(a) Louis XII of France.
(b) Charles I of Spain.
(c) Duke Lodovico.
(d) Archduke Ferdinand of Austria.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
2. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
3. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
4. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
5. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)