|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that a prince cannot control among his subjects?
(a) Their love.
(b) Their taxation.
(c) Their fear.
(d) Their cooperation.
2. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Move the subjects from place to place.
(b) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
(c) Travel any time he wants.
(d) Change his residence whenever he likes.
3. Ending his discussion of Ecclesiastical Dominions, why is Machiavelli so circumspect about the current Pope?
(a) Pope Leo fears Niccolo Machiavelli.
(b) Pope Leo is the uncle of Lorenzo de Medici.
(c) Pope Leo might give Machiavelli a job.
(d) Pope Leo does not support the Medici.
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(b) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(c) Declare many holidays.
(d) Keep the old system in place.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest will be the reaction of the people if he is greedy and seizes property and women?
(a) They will hate him.
(b) They will support him.
(c) They will think he is a just ruler.
(d) They will become like him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say the new prince can least afford?
2. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
3. What response does a prince receive if he is seen as fickle, effeminate, cowardly, frivolous, or irresolute?
4. What is a constant threat to any prince?
5. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)