|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
(a) They failed and had to go back and destroy many cities.
(b) They succeeded by adding Roman universities to the Greek educational system.
(c) They found it easy to get Greeks to adopt Roman ways.
(d) They succeeded by expanding on the Spartan idea.
2. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) Each day being the same as the day before.
(b) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(c) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(d) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
3. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
(a) That he sets up a completely new form of government.
(b) That he recognizes Machiavelli's genius.
(c) That he attain all the merits he deserves.
(d) That he not become a tyrant.
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
(a) Military barracks surrounding his palace.
(b) Favorable public opinion.
(c) A palace surrounded by a wide moat.
(d) A palace in the center of the city.
5. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
(a) A mishap on the part of the new government.
(b) The tendency of new governments to rely heavily on hereditary princes.
(c) The sympathy of the surrounding dominions.
(d) The money he was able to stash away before being invaded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one thing does Machiavelli insist that every prince needs?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest is the weakness of a mercenary military?
3. Which prince does Machiavelli say must be generous?
4. How does Machiavelli say a private citizen might make himself a prince?
5. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)