|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
(b) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
(c) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
(d) The people did not care who ruled them.
2. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
(a) Means of mastering in a short time all Machiavelli has learned about governing.
(b) Personal introductions to great men Machiavelli knows.
(c) A large book of rules for new princes to use in governing the people.
(d) The chance to become king of all Italy.
3. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
(a) On hunting expeditions.
(b) When he visits another prince.
(c) When he is being invaded.
(d) During times of peace.
4. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(b) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(c) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(d) Each day being the same as the day before.
5. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
(a) Fine fabrics.
(b) Horses and armor.
(c) Gold and precious gems.
(d) His knowledge of the actions of great men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the weakness of a mercenary military?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest will be the reaction of the people if he is greedy and seizes property and women?
3. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
4. What Roman Emperor does Machiavelli cite as an example of being both a lion and a fox?
5. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)