|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the advantage of the prince selected by the people?
(a) The people will see the prince change them in many ways.
(b) He will be unable to ignore the wishes of the nobles.
(c) He will have their support because all they want is not to be oppresed.
(d) The nobles will always see this as a good sign and cooperate with the prince.
2. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
(a) Making everything brief in his writing so that main points are missed.
(b) Giving only the facts of great leaders and how they governed.
(c) Using high sounding literary devices to make the work seem more important.
(d) Using language of respect that is usually spoken before a prince.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should raise taxes.
(b) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
(c) The new Prince should live there.
(d) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
4. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
(a) He can issue food stamps.
(b) He can tell them about the cruelties of the enemy if they are captured.
(c) He can make them believe it is all just an illusion.
(d) He can tell them it is not as bad as it looks from inside the city walls.
5. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
(a) He suggests that there is a proper use of cruelty.
(b) He states that political assassination is not cruelty.
(c) He says any use of cruelty cannot be justified.
(d) He believes that cruelty must continue to be successful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
2. Why did Machiavelli say that Italy has been overrun by Charles, plundered by Louis, ravished by Ferdinand, and dishonored by the Swiss?
3. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
4. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
5. Why does Machiavelli argue against a prince being overly generous?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)