|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
(a) The money he was able to stash away before being invaded.
(b) The sympathy of the surrounding dominions.
(c) The tendency of new governments to rely heavily on hereditary princes.
(d) A mishap on the part of the new government.
2. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
(a) During times of peace.
(b) On hunting expeditions.
(c) When he visits another prince.
(d) When he is being invaded.
3. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
(b) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
(c) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(d) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
4. Who does Machiavelli cite as an example of generosity that ended badly?
(a) Marc Anthony.
(c) Alexander the Great.
(d) Julius Caesar.
5. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
(a) His ill health after the death of his father.
(b) His opposition from the new Pope after the death of Alexander IV.
(c) His lack of knowledge of what to do after his father's death.
(d) His bad choices of political allies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say that the great military leaders of history were so successful?
2. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
3. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
4. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)