|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Medici come to power?
(a) Through clever political manipulation.
(b) Through democratic elections.
(c) Through war.
(d) Through inheritance.
2. How does Machiavelli say a private citizen might make himself a prince?
(a) By becoming proficient in war and rising in rank.
(b) By avoiding war and promoting peace.
(c) By hiring his own mercenaries.
(d) By becoming a puppet of an enemy military.
3. Which prince does Machiavelli say must be generous?
(a) One just coming into power.
(b) One who is about to go to war.
(c) One who has excessive vices.
(d) One who inherited his title.
4. What does Machiavelli cite as the measure of strength of a principality?
(a) The popularity of the prince.
(b) The total land area of the principality.
(c) Enough money to pay bribes.
(d) The ability to field a strong army.
5. What does Machiavelli say about skilled mercenary captains?
(a) They are too expensive.
(b) They will only take orders from the prince.
(c) They are hard to find.
(d) They cannot be trusted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that a prince cannot control among his subjects?
2. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
3. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
4. In his discussion of the qualities of a good leader, how does Machiavelli depart from the accepted rules?
5. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)