|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
(a) He states that political assassination is not cruelty.
(b) He suggests that there is a proper use of cruelty.
(c) He says any use of cruelty cannot be justified.
(d) He believes that cruelty must continue to be successful.
2. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
(a) His bad choices of political allies.
(b) His lack of knowledge of what to do after his father's death.
(c) His opposition from the new Pope after the death of Alexander IV.
(d) His ill health after the death of his father.
3. Who is Machiavelli's ultimate example of the correct use of cruelty?
(c) Alexander the Great.
(d) King Louis.
4. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
(a) They allowed them to select government officials from their own citizens.
(b) They destroyed them and set up their own system of government.
(c) They moved the Roman capital to Carthage.
(d) They made them all Roman citizens with new priviliges.
5. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
(a) Better conditions for the subjects of a dominion.
(b) Pleasure of the subjects who like to see a lot of changes.
(c) Growth of the dominion by annexation.
(d) A dovetailing of more and more change.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define avarice?
2. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
3. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
4. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
5. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)