|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
(a) He had them cut to pieces.
(b) He refused to pay them.
(c) He put them on the front lines to be killed.
(d) He hired more mercenaries.
2. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
(a) Frequently reviewing his troops.
(b) Making constant changes in his miliary command.
(c) Making sure he has the money to pay his mercenaries.
(d) Knowing how to locate the enemy, deploy his soldiers, and lay siege to a city.
3. If a city is well fortified against attack, what will cause the enemy to retreat?
(a) They will retreat because they do not have enough supplies to feed themselves.
(b) They will retreat because the fortified city makes them believe there are other armies in the field.
(c) They will retreat because they cannot afford a long seige.
(d) They will retreat because they are cold outside the walls of the city.
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
(a) Persia throwing off the rule of Alexander the Great.
(b) Pisa arising against the Florentines.
(c) Carthage getting its independence from Rome.
(d) Egypt going to war with Sparta.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Declare many holidays.
(b) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(c) Keep the old system in place.
(d) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
2. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
3. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
4. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
5. What is it that a prince cannot control among his subjects?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)