|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
(a) He insulted Prince Lorenzo de Medici.
(b) He has been working for the government overthrown by the Medici.
(c) He has had a long illness.
(d) He has taken too much time off.
2. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
(b) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(c) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(d) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
3. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
(a) They were both Italians.
(b) They knew what they wanted and made a plan to get it.
(c) They refused to resort to political assassination.
(d) They got their positions from other princes.
4. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
(a) Heavy taxation.
5. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
(b) Easily maintained.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli cite as the measure of strength of a principality?
2. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
3. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
4. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
5. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)