|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) The people would forget all about him.
(b) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(c) He would lose all popularity with the people.
(d) It would be easy to get it back.
2. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
(a) A trusted civilian commander.
(b) A relative of the prince.
(c) A well paid mercenary captain.
(d) The prince himself.
3. If a city is well fortified against attack, what will cause the enemy to retreat?
(a) They will retreat because they cannot afford a long seige.
(b) They will retreat because they are cold outside the walls of the city.
(c) They will retreat because they do not have enough supplies to feed themselves.
(d) They will retreat because the fortified city makes them believe there are other armies in the field.
4. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A cartographer.
(b) A professor.
(c) A chemist.
(d) A choreographer.
5. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
(a) Men always think a new government will be worse than before.
(b) Old leaders must be kept alive and included in the new government.
(c) People think the new government will be more of the same.
(d) It is rarely the case that new rulers improve the lives of the conquered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
2. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
3. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
4. Why is a reputation for cruelty necessary for a prince?
5. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)