|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A cartographer.
(b) A chemist.
(c) A professor.
(d) A choreographer.
2. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
(a) He is removing political involvement of the church.
(b) He is removing objections to the combination of church and state.
(c) He is removing God from politics and the power equation.
(d) He is removing constitutional authority.
3. What is it that a prince cannot control among his subjects?
(a) Their cooperation.
(b) Their taxation.
(c) Their love.
(d) Their fear.
4. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
(a) One that comes from political intrigue.
(b) One that is an entirely new settlement.
(c) One that kills all the citizens of the old regime.
(d) One that does not come from a long line of ruling ancestors.
5. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
(a) By popular election.
(b) Through the help of friends.
(c) As a compromise between two parties.
(d) With a lot of money behind him.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Alexander VI, how did the Pope continue to strengthen the Church's position?
2. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
3. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
4. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
5. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)