|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(b) More and more innovation.
(c) Disdain for the past.
2. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
(a) To war among themselves.
(b) To restore the Roman Empire.
(c) To keep foreigners out of Italy.
(d) To form an Italian Republic.
3. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
(a) With a lot of money behind him.
(b) Through the help of friends.
(c) As a compromise between two parties.
(d) By popular election.
4. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
(a) Everyone will always fear him because he might take away his liberality.
(b) Eventually his liberality will lead to burdensome taxation.
(c) He will not have time to enjoy his own life.
(d) People will not take him seriously when he has a problem.
5. What is the advantage of being miserly?
(a) The people will not work harder to receive the prince's generosity.
(b) Waging was is possible without having to tax the people heavily.
(c) Everything eventually belongs to the prince.
(d) The prince can go count his money when he cannot sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
2. What does Machiavelli say about skilled mercenary captains?
3. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
4. Who was responsible for weakening the power of Colonna and Orsini, the barons of Rome?
5. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)