|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(b) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(c) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
(d) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
2. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
(a) The last days of the Roman Empire.
(b) Sparticus and the Roman slaves.
(c) Phillip, father of Alexander the Great.
(d) Darius, King of Persia.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(b) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(c) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(d) Each day being the same as the day before.
4. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
(a) Something that just happens.
(b) Lack of ability to govern.
(c) Perceived weakness on the part of opponents.
(d) Punishment of God for misdeeds.
5. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A choreographer.
(b) A cartographer.
(c) A chemist.
(d) A professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is wrong with concepts of an ideal princedom or republic.
2. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
4. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
5. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)