|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
(a) The prince becomes lazy and leaves everything up to the barons.
(b) The prince does always knows what the barons are doing in their territories.
(c) If the prince dies the barons all lose their hereditary titles.
(d) The barons hold their titles by heredity and not by the favor of the prince, so there is less loyalty.
2. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
(a) Eventually his liberality will lead to burdensome taxation.
(b) He will not have time to enjoy his own life.
(c) Everyone will always fear him because he might take away his liberality.
(d) People will not take him seriously when he has a problem.
3. What, according to Machiavelli, will always make a prince's position insecure?
(a) Failure to spend the money for a mercenary military.
(b) Putting too much emphasis on military rule.
(c) Relying on mercenary or auxiliary military forces.
(d) Being in control of the military.
4. Which examples does Machiavelli use to support the idea of not being overly generous?
(a) King Saul and Ramses the Great.
(b) The King of Spain and the King of France.
(c) King Midas and King Darius.
(d) Moses and the Duke of Milan.
5. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
(a) Because he was not successful in gaining control of Sicily.
(b) Because his cruelty continued after he came to power.
(c) Beause he did not plan what to do after he became prince.
(d) Because he came from humble beginnings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
2. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
3. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
4. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
5. What does Machiavelli cite as the measure of strength of a principality?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)