|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
(a) It is rarely the case that new rulers improve the lives of the conquered.
(b) Men always think a new government will be worse than before.
(c) Old leaders must be kept alive and included in the new government.
(d) People think the new government will be more of the same.
2. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
(a) They moved the Roman capital to Carthage.
(b) They made them all Roman citizens with new priviliges.
(c) They allowed them to select government officials from their own citizens.
(d) They destroyed them and set up their own system of government.
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
(a) Pisa arising against the Florentines.
(b) Persia throwing off the rule of Alexander the Great.
(c) Carthage getting its independence from Rome.
(d) Egypt going to war with Sparta.
4. Before Pope Alexander VI, what prevented the Church from gaining even more power?
(a) The commercial power of the Venetians.
(b) Wars fought between the Colonna, the Orsini and the Pope.
(c) The threat of invasion by France.
(d) The separation of Church and State.
5. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
(b) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
(c) The people did not care who ruled them.
(d) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
2. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
3. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the weakness of a mercenary military?
5. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)