|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
(a) Venice under the Doge.
(b) The Kingdom of Spain.
(c) Milan under Francesco Sforza.
(d) The new Kingdom of Naples.
2. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Declare many holidays.
(b) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(c) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(d) Keep the old system in place.
3. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
(a) If the people have never been ruled before.
(b) If the people like the new food introduced into the dominion.
(c) If the people speak the same language.
(d) If the new Prince leaves the old rulers in place.
4. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
(b) He relied on his own intuitions.
(c) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(d) He tried all methods of government himself.
5. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
(a) By not receiving what was promised to them.
(b) By becoming jealous of his new power.
(c) By deciding that they do not need the prince.
(d) By going elsewhere to fight new battles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Machiavelli say that Italy has been overrun by Charles, plundered by Louis, ravished by Ferdinand, and dishonored by the Swiss?
2. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
3. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
4. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
5. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)