|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should raise taxes.
(b) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
(c) The new Prince should live there.
(d) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
3. What ancient example does Machiavelli use to illustrate the rise to power through criminal actions?
(a) Alexander the Great.
(b) Pope Alexander IV.
(c) Agathocles of Sicily.
4. What problem faces a prince appointed by the nobles?
(a) The people will only support a prince appointed by the nobles.
(b) The nobles see themselves as his equal and are not inclined to obey him.
(c) The nobles never have the good will of the people which makes for tensions.
(d) The people know they have rights under a price appointed by the nobles.
5. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
(a) Philopoemonm, Prince of the Achaians
(b) Ramses II
(d) The sons of Sforza, Duke of Milan
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
2. How do the Medici come to power?
3. What does Machiavelli say the new prince can least afford?
4. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
5. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)