|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should live there.
(b) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
(c) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
(d) The new Prince should raise taxes.
2. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
(b) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(c) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
(d) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
3. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
(a) Through the help of friends.
(b) With a lot of money behind him.
(c) As a compromise between two parties.
(d) By popular election.
4. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
(a) It is impossible for him to lose his dominion.
(b) The Prince who inherited his donimion can disband his army.
(c) People are accustomed to rule by that family.
(d) He can get away with having more vices.
5. What does Machiavelli see as an insurmountable chasm?
(a) The difference between the very rich and the very poor.
(b) Idealism and Christian philosophy of living.
(c) The reality of the way we live versus the ideas of how we ought to live.
(d) The understanding of the people versus the understanding of the prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Machiavelli's ultimate example of the correct use of cruelty?
2. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
3. How does Machiavelli say a private citizen might make himself a prince?
4. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
5. What does Machiavelli cite as the measure of strength of a principality?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)