|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
(a) The best insurance a prince has for his safety.
(b) Women mercenaries who fight along side of men.
(c) Those borrowed from other principalities to wage war.
(d) Extra manpower that may be called to active duty during a war.
2. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A professor.
(b) A cartographer.
(c) A chemist.
(d) A choreographer.
3. In his discussion of the qualities of a good leader, how does Machiavelli depart from the accepted rules?
(a) He does not accept the idea that a prince must be good in all matters.
(b) He thinks that if the prince is always good, the people will imitate him.
(c) He accepts the Christian ideals of his time.
(d) He says a prince must always do the will of the people.
4. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
(a) He wanted Prince Lorenzo de Medici to employ him.
(b) He wanted to become a prince.
(c) He wanted to start a revolution.
(d) He wanted to become a famous author.
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
(a) The Prince of Venice as part of the dominions of France.
(b) The Medici as part of the Borgia dominions.
(c) The Holy Roman Empire.
(d) The King of Naples as part of the dominions of Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
3. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
4. What is the advantage of being miserly?
5. How does Machiavelli say a prince can make himself feared without making himself hated?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)