|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(b) It is impossible.
(d) With great difficulty.
2. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(b) Disdain for the past.
(c) More and more innovation.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the weakness of a mercenary military?
(a) It is too expensive to keep up during peace times.
(b) It is difficult to replace members who decide to return to their homes.
(c) It is only useful during times of war.
(d) It works only for pay and may defect to the opposition or simply run away.
4. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) It would be easy to get it back.
(b) He would lose all popularity with the people.
(c) The people would forget all about him.
(d) He would have to run for his life and never return.
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
(a) The Medici as part of the Borgia dominions.
(b) The King of Naples as part of the dominions of Spain.
(c) The Prince of Venice as part of the dominions of France.
(d) The Holy Roman Empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
2. What problem faces a prince appointed by the nobles?
3. Aside from granting favors to his subjects during a siege, what does Machiavelli suggest a wise prince might do?
4. What does Machiavelli say the new prince can least afford?
5. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)