|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
(a) Through democratic elections.
(b) Through War and Pestilence.
(c) Through Ability or Accident.
(d) Through Fortune or Ability.
2. What in Machiavelli's opinion is the problem with a prince being too liberal with his subjects?
(a) People will not take him seriously when he has a problem.
(b) Eventually his liberality will lead to burdensome taxation.
(c) He will not have time to enjoy his own life.
(d) Everyone will always fear him because he might take away his liberality.
3. What does Machiavelli say the new prince can least afford?
(a) Excessive kindness.
4. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
(a) Distancing himself from the French court.
(b) Helping the Spanish cardinals elect a Spanish Pope.
(c) Failure to get medical attention soon enough.
(d) Allowing the election of Pope Julius II.
5. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
(a) There was something in Moses, some ability that made him worthy to speak with God.
(b) Moses never actually established himself as a leader.
(c) There is no histroy of Moses outside of the Jewish holy writings.
(d) Instead of ruling the Egyptians after defeating them, he left.
Short Answer Questions
1. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
2. How does Machiavelli define avarice?
3. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
4. What does Machiavelli see as an insurmountable chasm?
5. Ending his discussion of Ecclesiastical Dominions, why is Machiavelli so circumspect about the current Pope?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)