|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
(a) Experience and the absence of flattery.
(b) Experience and his personal need.
(c) Experience and his low-born status.
(d) Experience and his ability as a writer.
2. How does Machiavelli define avarice?
(a) Being of the disposition to take what is not one's own.
(b) Being so generous that he has nothing left.
(c) Being miserly and not generous enough.
(d) Being nothing but a warrior.
3. Why is a reputation for cruelty necessary for a prince?
(a) To keep people from asking too much.
(b) To defend himself from mercenaries.
(c) To show his tough love.
(d) To maintain control of his army.
4. What does Machiavelli say are the two foundations necessary for a princedom?
(a) Total military rule and a contented public.
(b) Sound laws that do not rely on a military.
(c) Sound laws and a sound military.
(d) A popular prince and a mercenary military.
5. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
(a) A dovetailing of more and more change.
(b) Better conditions for the subjects of a dominion.
(c) Pleasure of the subjects who like to see a lot of changes.
(d) Growth of the dominion by annexation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
2. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
3. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
4. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
5. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)