|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his discussion of the qualities of a good leader, how does Machiavelli depart from the accepted rules?
(a) He does not accept the idea that a prince must be good in all matters.
(b) He accepts the Christian ideals of his time.
(c) He says a prince must always do the will of the people.
(d) He thinks that if the prince is always good, the people will imitate him.
2. What dichotomy does Machiavelli present regarding goodness and vices in a prince?
(a) Vices can be balanced out by the amount of fear they generate.
(b) Goodness will preserve his princedom while vices will bring his downfall.
(c) His goodness may lead to his downfall whereas his vices may sometimes keep him safe.
(d) People see goodness as weakness and vices as strengths.
3. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(b) He relied on his own intuitions.
(c) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
(d) He tried all methods of government himself.
4. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
(a) Princedoms formed by warring factions.
(b) A hereditary princedom.
(c) New princedoms.
(d) An elected dynasty.
5. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
(a) Darius, King of Persia.
(b) Sparticus and the Roman slaves.
(c) The last days of the Roman Empire.
(d) Phillip, father of Alexander the Great.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the event that the prince cannot afford a large army, what should he do?
2. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
3. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
4. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
5. How does Machiavelli say a private citizen might make himself a prince?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)