|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
(a) He is the only man who knows the facts he is about to reveal.
(b) He will talk only about princes he has known personally.
(c) He is giving the highest examples from history.
(d) He is citing his own experience as a new prince.
2. What does Machiavelli say the new prince can least afford?
(a) Excessive kindness.
3. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
(a) The best insurance a prince has for his safety.
(b) Women mercenaries who fight along side of men.
(c) Those borrowed from other principalities to wage war.
(d) Extra manpower that may be called to active duty during a war.
4. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
(a) In case of revolt, there is only one person to assassinate.
(b) No one is confused about who the ruler is.
(c) The people vest in him more complete authority.
(d) There is only one person of higher rank than the prince.
5. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
(a) A trusted civilian commander.
(b) A well paid mercenary captain.
(c) A relative of the prince.
(d) The prince himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
2. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
3. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
4. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
5. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)