|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(b) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
(c) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(d) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
2. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
(b) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
(c) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(d) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(b) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(c) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(d) Each day being the same as the day before.
4. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A cartographer.
(b) A chemist.
(c) A professor.
(d) A choreographer.
5. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Travel any time he wants.
(b) Move the subjects from place to place.
(c) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
(d) Change his residence whenever he likes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
2. What, according to Machiavelli, will always make a prince's position insecure?
3. How does Machiavelli say a prince can make himself feared without making himself hated?
4. What problem faces a prince appointed by the nobles?
5. What is the advantage of being miserly?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)