|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
(a) He states that political assassination is not cruelty.
(b) He believes that cruelty must continue to be successful.
(c) He says any use of cruelty cannot be justified.
(d) He suggests that there is a proper use of cruelty.
2. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
(a) He can issue food stamps.
(b) He can tell them about the cruelties of the enemy if they are captured.
(c) He can tell them it is not as bad as it looks from inside the city walls.
(d) He can make them believe it is all just an illusion.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
(b) The new Prince should live there.
(c) The new Prince should raise taxes.
(d) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
4. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
(a) The money he was able to stash away before being invaded.
(b) The tendency of new governments to rely heavily on hereditary princes.
(c) The sympathy of the surrounding dominions.
(d) A mishap on the part of the new government.
5. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
(a) Holding many public meetings.
(b) Making themselves popular with the people.
(c) Promising to lower taxes.
(d) Bribing the military.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
2. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
3. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
4. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
5. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)