|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(b) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
(c) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
(d) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
2. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
(a) Through Ability or Accident.
(b) Through War and Pestilence.
(c) Through Fortune or Ability.
(d) Through democratic elections.
3. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
(a) He can tell them it is not as bad as it looks from inside the city walls.
(b) He can make them believe it is all just an illusion.
(c) He can tell them about the cruelties of the enemy if they are captured.
(d) He can issue food stamps.
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Earle.
(b) The Duke of Ferrara.
(c) The Duke of Genoa.
(d) The Duke of Milan.
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
(a) Pisa arising against the Florentines.
(b) Persia throwing off the rule of Alexander the Great.
(c) Carthage getting its independence from Rome.
(d) Egypt going to war with Sparta.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
2. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
4. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
5. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)