|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Change his residence whenever he likes.
(b) Move the subjects from place to place.
(c) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
(d) Travel any time he wants.
2. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
(a) Through Fortune or Ability.
(b) Through Ability or Accident.
(c) Through War and Pestilence.
(d) Through democratic elections.
3. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
(a) Personal introductions to great men Machiavelli knows.
(b) The chance to become king of all Italy.
(c) Means of mastering in a short time all Machiavelli has learned about governing.
(d) A large book of rules for new princes to use in governing the people.
4. What is the advantage of the prince selected by the people?
(a) The people will see the prince change them in many ways.
(b) He will have their support because all they want is not to be oppresed.
(c) He will be unable to ignore the wishes of the nobles.
(d) The nobles will always see this as a good sign and cooperate with the prince.
5. In the event that the prince cannot afford a large army, what should he do?
(a) Post lookouts in the countryside.
(b) Have a good plan to escape if attacked.
(c) Negotiate diplomatically with any potential enemies.
(d) Make sure his city is well fortified.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
2. What one thing does Machiavelli insist that every prince needs?
3. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
4. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)