|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He tried all methods of government himself.
(b) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(c) He relied on his own intuitions.
(d) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
2. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
(a) Allowing the election of Pope Julius II.
(b) Helping the Spanish cardinals elect a Spanish Pope.
(c) Failure to get medical attention soon enough.
(d) Distancing himself from the French court.
3. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
(a) He allows the people to do exactly as they please.
(b) His face is on their coins.
(c) He goes to school with the children of the princedom.
(d) He has less of a chance of giving offense.
4. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
(d) Heavy taxation.
5. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
(b) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
(c) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(d) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
3. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
4. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
5. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)