|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the event that the prince cannot afford a large army, what should he do?
(a) Post lookouts in the countryside.
(b) Have a good plan to escape if attacked.
(c) Make sure his city is well fortified.
(d) Negotiate diplomatically with any potential enemies.
2. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A professor.
(b) A cartographer.
(c) A chemist.
(d) A choreographer.
3. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
(b) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
(c) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(d) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
4. What is the advantage of the prince selected by the people?
(a) He will have their support because all they want is not to be oppresed.
(b) The people will see the prince change them in many ways.
(c) He will be unable to ignore the wishes of the nobles.
(d) The nobles will always see this as a good sign and cooperate with the prince.
5. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(a) More and more innovation.
(d) Disdain for the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
2. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
4. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
5. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)