|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
(a) Cesar Borgia of Romagna.
(b) Nabis, Prince of Sparta.
(c) Gracci of Rome.
(d) Giorgio Scalli of Florence.
2. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(b) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
(c) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(d) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
3. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
(a) He can tell them it is not as bad as it looks from inside the city walls.
(b) He can issue food stamps.
(c) He can make them believe it is all just an illusion.
(d) He can tell them about the cruelties of the enemy if they are captured.
4. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
(a) With a lot of money behind him.
(b) As a compromise between two parties.
(c) Through the help of friends.
(d) By popular election.
5. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
(a) The sympathy of the surrounding dominions.
(b) A mishap on the part of the new government.
(c) The tendency of new governments to rely heavily on hereditary princes.
(d) The money he was able to stash away before being invaded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
2. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
3. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
4. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
5. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)