|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
(a) The people vest in him more complete authority.
(b) In case of revolt, there is only one person to assassinate.
(c) There is only one person of higher rank than the prince.
(d) No one is confused about who the ruler is.
2. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
(a) That he not become a tyrant.
(b) That he recognizes Machiavelli's genius.
(c) That he attain all the merits he deserves.
(d) That he sets up a completely new form of government.
3. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
(a) He has had a long illness.
(b) He insulted Prince Lorenzo de Medici.
(c) He has taken too much time off.
(d) He has been working for the government overthrown by the Medici.
4. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
(a) Making everything brief in his writing so that main points are missed.
(b) Using language of respect that is usually spoken before a prince.
(c) Giving only the facts of great leaders and how they governed.
(d) Using high sounding literary devices to make the work seem more important.
5. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
(a) Horses and armor.
(b) His knowledge of the actions of great men.
(c) Gold and precious gems.
(d) Fine fabrics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
2. If a city is well fortified against attack, what will cause the enemy to retreat?
3. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
5. Before Pope Alexander VI, what prevented the Church from gaining even more power?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)