|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
(a) They allowed them to select government officials from their own citizens.
(b) They destroyed them and set up their own system of government.
(c) They made them all Roman citizens with new priviliges.
(d) They moved the Roman capital to Carthage.
2. Aside from granting favors to his subjects during a siege, what does Machiavelli suggest a wise prince might do?
(a) Make promises he knows he could never keep.
(b) Get his subjects to do favors for him.
(c) Bribe his nobles to help him.
(d) Have parties within the walls as though nothing is wrong outside.
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
(a) Giorgio Scalli of Florence.
(b) Nabis, Prince of Sparta.
(c) Cesar Borgia of Romagna.
(d) Gracci of Rome.
4. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
(a) Beause he did not plan what to do after he became prince.
(b) Because his cruelty continued after he came to power.
(c) Because he was not successful in gaining control of Sicily.
(d) Because he came from humble beginnings.
5. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
(b) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
(c) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
(d) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
Short Answer Questions
1. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
2. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
3. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
4. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
5. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)