|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
(a) The conquered people get lots of land and plenty to eat.
(b) The people who have been harmed can take revenge easily.
(c) The people can now take justice into their own hands.
(d) The only people really annoyed will be those who have lost their land.
2. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
(a) He has taken too much time off.
(b) He insulted Prince Lorenzo de Medici.
(c) He has been working for the government overthrown by the Medici.
(d) He has had a long illness.
3. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(a) It is impossible.
(d) With great difficulty.
4. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A professor.
(b) A chemist.
(c) A cartographer.
(d) A choreographer.
5. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
(a) Revolution among the lowest class of subjects.
(b) Public elections.
(c) Extrodinary and irresistable force.
(d) Disagreements within a family of hereditary rulers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
2. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
3. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
4. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
5. Aside from granting favors to his subjects during a siege, what does Machiavelli suggest a wise prince might do?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)