|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(b) Declare many holidays.
(c) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(d) Keep the old system in place.
2. What ancient example does Machiavelli use to illustrate the rise to power through criminal actions?
(a) Alexander the Great.
(b) Pope Alexander IV.
(c) Agathocles of Sicily.
3. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
(a) City State and Territory.
(b) State and Republic.
(c) State and Dominion.
(d) Kingdom and City State.
4. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
(a) Better conditions for the subjects of a dominion.
(b) A dovetailing of more and more change.
(c) Pleasure of the subjects who like to see a lot of changes.
(d) Growth of the dominion by annexation.
5. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
(a) He is the only man who knows the facts he is about to reveal.
(b) He is citing his own experience as a new prince.
(c) He is giving the highest examples from history.
(d) He will talk only about princes he has known personally.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
2. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
4. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
5. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)