|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
(a) A hereditary princedom.
(b) Princedoms formed by warring factions.
(c) New princedoms.
(d) An elected dynasty.
2. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
(a) Helping the Spanish cardinals elect a Spanish Pope.
(b) Failure to get medical attention soon enough.
(c) Distancing himself from the French court.
(d) Allowing the election of Pope Julius II.
3. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
(a) People think the new government will be more of the same.
(b) It is rarely the case that new rulers improve the lives of the conquered.
(c) Men always think a new government will be worse than before.
(d) Old leaders must be kept alive and included in the new government.
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
(a) The Medici as part of the Borgia dominions.
(b) The King of Naples as part of the dominions of Spain.
(c) The Holy Roman Empire.
(d) The Prince of Venice as part of the dominions of France.
5. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
(a) One that kills all the citizens of the old regime.
(b) One that comes from political intrigue.
(c) One that is an entirely new settlement.
(d) One that does not come from a long line of ruling ancestors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
2. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
3. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
4. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
5. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)