|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
(a) It is rarely the case that new rulers improve the lives of the conquered.
(b) Men always think a new government will be worse than before.
(c) Old leaders must be kept alive and included in the new government.
(d) People think the new government will be more of the same.
2. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
(a) Gold and precious gems.
(b) Horses and armor.
(c) His knowledge of the actions of great men.
(d) Fine fabrics.
3. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
(a) He rejected the idea outright as a madness of the Greeks.
(b) He considered them inferior.
(c) None existed at that time.
(d) He called democracy by another name.
4. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
(a) There is no histroy of Moses outside of the Jewish holy writings.
(b) Moses never actually established himself as a leader.
(c) Instead of ruling the Egyptians after defeating them, he left.
(d) There was something in Moses, some ability that made him worthy to speak with God.
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
(a) Pisa arising against the Florentines.
(b) Egypt going to war with Sparta.
(c) Persia throwing off the rule of Alexander the Great.
(d) Carthage getting its independence from Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
2. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
4. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
5. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)