|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
(a) He executed d'Orco to make the people love and trust him.
(b) He retired d'Orco and gave him a lifetime pension.
(c) He gave d'Orco the power to kill anyone who opposed him.
(d) He told the people that d'Orco was acting on his orders.
2. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Keep the old system in place.
(b) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(c) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(d) Declare many holidays.
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
(a) Cesar Borgia of Romagna.
(b) Gracci of Rome.
(c) Giorgio Scalli of Florence.
(d) Nabis, Prince of Sparta.
4. How do the Medici come to power?
(a) Through war.
(b) Through clever political manipulation.
(c) Through democratic elections.
(d) Through inheritance.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
(b) Outrageous vices.
(c) Using his army to gain more territory.
(d) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
2. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
3. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
4. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
5. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)