|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
(a) Free elections.
(b) Appeals to the Pope of Rome.
(c) The arms of others.
(d) Political intrigue.
2. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
(a) There was something in Moses, some ability that made him worthy to speak with God.
(b) There is no histroy of Moses outside of the Jewish holy writings.
(c) Moses never actually established himself as a leader.
(d) Instead of ruling the Egyptians after defeating them, he left.
3. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
(a) He rejected the idea outright as a madness of the Greeks.
(b) None existed at that time.
(c) He considered them inferior.
(d) He called democracy by another name.
4. What ancient example does Machiavelli use to illustrate the rise to power through criminal actions?
(a) Alexander the Great.
(c) Pope Alexander IV.
(d) Agathocles of Sicily.
5. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He tried all methods of government himself.
(b) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(c) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
(d) He relied on his own intuitions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
2. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
3. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
5. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)