|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
(a) They got their positions from other princes.
(b) They knew what they wanted and made a plan to get it.
(c) They were both Italians.
(d) They refused to resort to political assassination.
2. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
(a) Promising to lower taxes.
(b) Making themselves popular with the people.
(c) Bribing the military.
(d) Holding many public meetings.
3. What ancient example does Machiavelli use to illustrate the rise to power through criminal actions?
(a) Pope Alexander IV.
(b) Alexander the Great.
(c) Agathocles of Sicily.
4. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
(a) His bad choices of political allies.
(b) His lack of knowledge of what to do after his father's death.
(c) His ill health after the death of his father.
(d) His opposition from the new Pope after the death of Alexander IV.
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Ferrara.
(b) The Duke of Genoa.
(c) The Duke of Milan.
(d) The Duke of Earle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
2. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
3. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
5. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)