|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
(b) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
(c) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
(d) The people did not care who ruled them.
2. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
(a) His lack of knowledge of what to do after his father's death.
(b) His bad choices of political allies.
(c) His opposition from the new Pope after the death of Alexander IV.
(d) His ill health after the death of his father.
3. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
(a) Beause he did not plan what to do after he became prince.
(b) Because his cruelty continued after he came to power.
(c) Because he came from humble beginnings.
(d) Because he was not successful in gaining control of Sicily.
4. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A cartographer.
(b) A choreographer.
(c) A chemist.
(d) A professor.
5. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
(a) If the people have never been ruled before.
(b) If the new Prince leaves the old rulers in place.
(c) If the people like the new food introduced into the dominion.
(d) If the people speak the same language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was responsible for weakening the power of Colonna and Orsini, the barons of Rome?
2. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
4. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
5. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)