|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Outrageous vices.
(b) Using his army to gain more territory.
(c) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
(d) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
2. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
(a) By becoming jealous of his new power.
(b) By going elsewhere to fight new battles.
(c) By not receiving what was promised to them.
(d) By deciding that they do not need the prince.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(b) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(c) Each day being the same as the day before.
(d) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
4. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
(a) Public elections.
(b) Revolution among the lowest class of subjects.
(c) Disagreements within a family of hereditary rulers.
(d) Extrodinary and irresistable force.
5. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They lost the new territories.
(b) They changed their own forms of government.
(c) They learned how to retain a possession.
(d) They held them for a thousand years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
2. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
3. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
4. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)