|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
(a) The prince does always knows what the barons are doing in their territories.
(b) If the prince dies the barons all lose their hereditary titles.
(c) The barons hold their titles by heredity and not by the favor of the prince, so there is less loyalty.
(d) The prince becomes lazy and leaves everything up to the barons.
2. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
(a) If the people speak the same language.
(b) If the people have never been ruled before.
(c) If the people like the new food introduced into the dominion.
(d) If the new Prince leaves the old rulers in place.
3. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) None whatsoever.
(b) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
(c) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
(d) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
4. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They learned how to retain a possession.
(b) They held them for a thousand years.
(c) They lost the new territories.
(d) They changed their own forms of government.
5. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
(a) By not receiving what was promised to them.
(b) By deciding that they do not need the prince.
(c) By going elsewhere to fight new battles.
(d) By becoming jealous of his new power.
Short Answer Questions
1. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
2. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
4. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
5. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)