|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
(a) He is giving the highest examples from history.
(b) He is the only man who knows the facts he is about to reveal.
(c) He will talk only about princes he has known personally.
(d) He is citing his own experience as a new prince.
2. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
(a) The Turk empire.
(b) The Holy Roman Empire.
(c) The Kingdom of Spain.
(d) The Kingdom of France.
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
(a) The Holy Roman Empire.
(b) The Medici as part of the Borgia dominions.
(c) The King of Naples as part of the dominions of Spain.
(d) The Prince of Venice as part of the dominions of France.
4. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) The people did not care who ruled them.
(b) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
(c) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
(d) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
5. What is the advantage of the prince selected by the people?
(a) He will be unable to ignore the wishes of the nobles.
(b) The nobles will always see this as a good sign and cooperate with the prince.
(c) The people will see the prince change them in many ways.
(d) He will have their support because all they want is not to be oppresed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
2. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
3. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
4. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
5. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)