|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
(a) There is no histroy of Moses outside of the Jewish holy writings.
(b) Instead of ruling the Egyptians after defeating them, he left.
(c) There was something in Moses, some ability that made him worthy to speak with God.
(d) Moses never actually established himself as a leader.
2. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
(b) The people did not care who ruled them.
(c) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
(d) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Milan.
(b) The Duke of Genoa.
(c) The Duke of Ferrara.
(d) The Duke of Earle.
4. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
(a) Through War and Pestilence.
(b) Through Ability or Accident.
(c) Through democratic elections.
(d) Through Fortune or Ability.
5. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
(a) He has had a long illness.
(b) He has taken too much time off.
(c) He insulted Prince Lorenzo de Medici.
(d) He has been working for the government overthrown by the Medici.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
3. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
4. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
5. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)