|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
(a) Instead of ruling the Egyptians after defeating them, he left.
(b) Moses never actually established himself as a leader.
(c) There is no histroy of Moses outside of the Jewish holy writings.
(d) There was something in Moses, some ability that made him worthy to speak with God.
2. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
(b) The people did not care who ruled them.
(c) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
(d) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
3. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
(a) Holding many public meetings.
(b) Making themselves popular with the people.
(c) Bribing the military.
(d) Promising to lower taxes.
4. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
(a) The people vest in him more complete authority.
(b) There is only one person of higher rank than the prince.
(c) No one is confused about who the ruler is.
(d) In case of revolt, there is only one person to assassinate.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(b) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(c) Keep the old system in place.
(d) Declare many holidays.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
2. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
3. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
4. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
5. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)