|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
(a) The people can now take justice into their own hands.
(b) The only people really annoyed will be those who have lost their land.
(c) The conquered people get lots of land and plenty to eat.
(d) The people who have been harmed can take revenge easily.
2. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
(a) Perceived weakness on the part of opponents.
(b) Something that just happens.
(c) Lack of ability to govern.
(d) Punishment of God for misdeeds.
3. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
(b) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
(c) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
(d) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
4. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
(b) He tried all methods of government himself.
(c) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(d) He relied on his own intuitions.
5. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
(b) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
(c) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
(d) The people did not care who ruled them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
2. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
4. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
5. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)