|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Milan.
(b) The Duke of Ferrara.
(c) The Duke of Genoa.
(d) The Duke of Earle.
2. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
(a) He wrote about republics in another work.
(b) There were no republics in his day.
(c) He thought dominions were much harder to keep.
(d) Dominions are much larger than republics.
3. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
(a) Failure to get medical attention soon enough.
(b) Helping the Spanish cardinals elect a Spanish Pope.
(c) Distancing himself from the French court.
(d) Allowing the election of Pope Julius II.
4. What problem faces a prince appointed by the nobles?
(a) The people know they have rights under a price appointed by the nobles.
(b) The nobles see themselves as his equal and are not inclined to obey him.
(c) The nobles never have the good will of the people which makes for tensions.
(d) The people will only support a prince appointed by the nobles.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Outrageous vices.
(b) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
(c) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
(d) Using his army to gain more territory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
2. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
3. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
4. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
5. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)