|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
(a) Gold and precious gems.
(b) His knowledge of the actions of great men.
(c) Horses and armor.
(d) Fine fabrics.
2. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
(a) The Holy Roman Empire.
(b) The Kingdom of Spain.
(c) The Kingdom of France.
(d) The Turk empire.
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
(a) Egypt going to war with Sparta.
(b) Carthage getting its independence from Rome.
(c) Persia throwing off the rule of Alexander the Great.
(d) Pisa arising against the Florentines.
4. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(a) More and more innovation.
(b) Disdain for the past.
5. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
(a) A large book of rules for new princes to use in governing the people.
(b) Personal introductions to great men Machiavelli knows.
(c) Means of mastering in a short time all Machiavelli has learned about governing.
(d) The chance to become king of all Italy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
2. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
3. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
5. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)