|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
(a) He wanted to become a famous author.
(b) He wanted to become a prince.
(c) He wanted to start a revolution.
(d) He wanted Prince Lorenzo de Medici to employ him.
2. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
(a) Experience and the absence of flattery.
(b) Experience and his ability as a writer.
(c) Experience and his low-born status.
(d) Experience and his personal need.
3. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
(b) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
(c) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
(d) None whatsoever.
4. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
(a) They were both Italians.
(b) They refused to resort to political assassination.
(c) They knew what they wanted and made a plan to get it.
(d) They got their positions from other princes.
5. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
(a) Helping the Spanish cardinals elect a Spanish Pope.
(b) Failure to get medical attention soon enough.
(c) Allowing the election of Pope Julius II.
(d) Distancing himself from the French court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
2. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
4. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
5. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)