|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A professor.
(b) A choreographer.
(c) A chemist.
(d) A cartographer.
2. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
(a) The prince becomes lazy and leaves everything up to the barons.
(b) The barons hold their titles by heredity and not by the favor of the prince, so there is less loyalty.
(c) The prince does always knows what the barons are doing in their territories.
(d) If the prince dies the barons all lose their hereditary titles.
3. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
(a) He has been working for the government overthrown by the Medici.
(b) He insulted Prince Lorenzo de Medici.
(c) He has had a long illness.
(d) He has taken too much time off.
4. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They learned how to retain a possession.
(b) They held them for a thousand years.
(c) They changed their own forms of government.
(d) They lost the new territories.
5. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
(d) Heavy taxation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
2. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
3. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
4. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
5. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)