|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
(a) One that kills all the citizens of the old regime.
(b) One that is an entirely new settlement.
(c) One that comes from political intrigue.
(d) One that does not come from a long line of ruling ancestors.
2. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
(a) People are accustomed to rule by that family.
(b) It is impossible for him to lose his dominion.
(c) The Prince who inherited his donimion can disband his army.
(d) He can get away with having more vices.
3. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
(a) King Luis XII of France.
(b) Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan.
(c) The military head of the Orsini.
(d) Pope Alexander IV.
4. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
(a) The conquered people get lots of land and plenty to eat.
(b) The people who have been harmed can take revenge easily.
(c) The only people really annoyed will be those who have lost their land.
(d) The people can now take justice into their own hands.
5. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
(a) Build a new palace.
(b) Hand out money.
(c) Learn quickly.
(d) Read his book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
4. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
5. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)