|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They held them for a thousand years.
(b) They learned how to retain a possession.
(c) They changed their own forms of government.
(d) They lost the new territories.
2. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
(b) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(c) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
(d) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
3. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(b) With great difficulty.
(c) It is impossible.
4. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
(a) They found it easy to get Greeks to adopt Roman ways.
(b) They succeeded by expanding on the Spartan idea.
(c) They failed and had to go back and destroy many cities.
(d) They succeeded by adding Roman universities to the Greek educational system.
5. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) He would lose all popularity with the people.
(b) The people would forget all about him.
(c) It would be easy to get it back.
(d) He would have to run for his life and never return.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
2. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
3. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
4. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
5. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)