|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(b) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(c) Each day being the same as the day before.
(d) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
2. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
(a) King Luis XII of France.
(b) The military head of the Orsini.
(c) Pope Alexander IV.
(d) Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan.
3. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A chemist.
(b) A professor.
(c) A choreographer.
(d) A cartographer.
4. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
(a) Read his book.
(b) Hand out money.
(c) Build a new palace.
(d) Learn quickly.
5. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
(a) It is rarely the case that new rulers improve the lives of the conquered.
(b) Old leaders must be kept alive and included in the new government.
(c) People think the new government will be more of the same.
(d) Men always think a new government will be worse than before.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Medici come to power?
2. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
3. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
4. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)