|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
(a) Catching the prince outside his palace.
(b) Bringing a gift.
(c) Writing a petition of audience.
(d) Coming in on hands and knees.
2. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(b) Disdain for the past.
(d) More and more innovation.
3. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
(a) He is removing God from politics and the power equation.
(b) He is removing constitutional authority.
(c) He is removing political involvement of the church.
(d) He is removing objections to the combination of church and state.
4. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
(a) Fine fabrics.
(b) Gold and precious gems.
(c) His knowledge of the actions of great men.
(d) Horses and armor.
5. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
(b) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(c) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(d) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
2. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
3. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
4. What combination of circumstances does Machiavelli identify in men like Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)