|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) The people did not care who ruled them.
(b) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
(c) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
(d) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
2. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
(a) As a compromise between two parties.
(b) Through the help of friends.
(c) By popular election.
(d) With a lot of money behind him.
3. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
(a) Using high sounding literary devices to make the work seem more important.
(b) Giving only the facts of great leaders and how they governed.
(c) Making everything brief in his writing so that main points are missed.
(d) Using language of respect that is usually spoken before a prince.
4. What problem faces a prince appointed by the nobles?
(a) The people will only support a prince appointed by the nobles.
(b) The nobles see themselves as his equal and are not inclined to obey him.
(c) The people know they have rights under a price appointed by the nobles.
(d) The nobles never have the good will of the people which makes for tensions.
5. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They changed their own forms of government.
(b) They held them for a thousand years.
(c) They learned how to retain a possession.
(d) They lost the new territories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
2. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
3. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
4. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
5. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)