|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What one thing does Machiavelli insist that every prince needs?
(a) The good will of the people.
(b) A strong military.
(c) Deep pockets.
(d) To read his book.
2. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(b) Declare many holidays.
(c) Keep the old system in place.
(d) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
3. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
(a) His opposition from the new Pope after the death of Alexander IV.
(b) His ill health after the death of his father.
(c) His lack of knowledge of what to do after his father's death.
(d) His bad choices of political allies.
4. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
(b) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(c) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
(d) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
5. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
(a) Duke Lodovico.
(b) Archduke Ferdinand of Austria.
(c) Charles I of Spain.
(d) Louis XII of France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
2. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
3. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
4. What ancient example does Machiavelli use to illustrate the rise to power through criminal actions?
5. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)