|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
(b) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
(c) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
(d) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
2. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
(a) Better conditions for the subjects of a dominion.
(b) Growth of the dominion by annexation.
(c) A dovetailing of more and more change.
(d) Pleasure of the subjects who like to see a lot of changes.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(b) Keep the old system in place.
(c) Declare many holidays.
(d) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
4. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
(a) Old leaders must be kept alive and included in the new government.
(b) It is rarely the case that new rulers improve the lives of the conquered.
(c) Men always think a new government will be worse than before.
(d) People think the new government will be more of the same.
5. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
(a) He is removing objections to the combination of church and state.
(b) He is removing constitutional authority.
(c) He is removing God from politics and the power equation.
(d) He is removing political involvement of the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one thing does Machiavelli insist that every prince needs?
2. What problem faces a prince appointed by the nobles?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
4. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
5. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)