|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
(a) If the people have never been ruled before.
(b) If the people like the new food introduced into the dominion.
(c) If the new Prince leaves the old rulers in place.
(d) If the people speak the same language.
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
(a) Nabis, Prince of Sparta.
(b) Cesar Borgia of Romagna.
(c) Giorgio Scalli of Florence.
(d) Gracci of Rome.
3. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
(a) Personal introductions to great men Machiavelli knows.
(b) A large book of rules for new princes to use in governing the people.
(c) The chance to become king of all Italy.
(d) Means of mastering in a short time all Machiavelli has learned about governing.
4. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
(a) Promising to lower taxes.
(b) Bribing the military.
(c) Holding many public meetings.
(d) Making themselves popular with the people.
5. What combination of circumstances does Machiavelli identify in men like Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) Opportunity and merit.
(b) Strength and fortitude.
(c) Pride and ability.
(d) Time and location.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
2. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
3. What is the advantage of the prince selected by the people?
4. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
5. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)