|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
(a) He is removing God from politics and the power equation.
(b) He is removing objections to the combination of church and state.
(c) He is removing constitutional authority.
(d) He is removing political involvement of the church.
2. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
(b) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
(c) None whatsoever.
(d) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
(a) The Prince of Venice as part of the dominions of France.
(b) The King of Naples as part of the dominions of Spain.
(c) The Holy Roman Empire.
(d) The Medici as part of the Borgia dominions.
4. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They learned how to retain a possession.
(b) They changed their own forms of government.
(c) They lost the new territories.
(d) They held them for a thousand years.
5. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
(a) He is citing his own experience as a new prince.
(b) He is the only man who knows the facts he is about to reveal.
(c) He will talk only about princes he has known personally.
(d) He is giving the highest examples from history.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
2. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
3. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
4. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)