|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(b) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
(c) He relied on his own intuitions.
(d) He tried all methods of government himself.
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
(a) The King of Naples as part of the dominions of Spain.
(b) The Medici as part of the Borgia dominions.
(c) The Prince of Venice as part of the dominions of France.
(d) The Holy Roman Empire.
3. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
(a) He wanted Prince Lorenzo de Medici to employ him.
(b) He wanted to become a prince.
(c) He wanted to become a famous author.
(d) He wanted to start a revolution.
4. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
(a) If the new Prince leaves the old rulers in place.
(b) If the people speak the same language.
(c) If the people like the new food introduced into the dominion.
(d) If the people have never been ruled before.
5. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
(a) Instead of ruling the Egyptians after defeating them, he left.
(b) Moses never actually established himself as a leader.
(c) There was something in Moses, some ability that made him worthy to speak with God.
(d) There is no histroy of Moses outside of the Jewish holy writings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
2. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
4. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
5. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)