|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Using his army to gain more territory.
(b) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
(c) Outrageous vices.
(d) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
2. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
(a) Kingdom and City State.
(b) State and Republic.
(c) City State and Territory.
(d) State and Dominion.
3. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
(a) There is no histroy of Moses outside of the Jewish holy writings.
(b) Moses never actually established himself as a leader.
(c) Instead of ruling the Egyptians after defeating them, he left.
(d) There was something in Moses, some ability that made him worthy to speak with God.
4. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
(a) All people everywhere actually prefer a prince.
(b) The prince has more power than a republic.
(c) The prince changes things often at his own whim.
(d) The people are already familiar with that form of government.
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Ferrara.
(b) The Duke of Earle.
(c) The Duke of Milan.
(d) The Duke of Genoa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
2. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
3. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
4. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
5. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)