|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A choreographer.
(b) A chemist.
(c) A professor.
(d) A cartographer.
2. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(b) It is impossible.
(c) With great difficulty.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should raise taxes.
(b) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
(c) The new Prince should live there.
(d) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
4. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
(a) Kingdom and City State.
(b) State and Dominion.
(c) City State and Territory.
(d) State and Republic.
5. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
(a) They found it easy to get Greeks to adopt Roman ways.
(b) They succeeded by adding Roman universities to the Greek educational system.
(c) They succeeded by expanding on the Spartan idea.
(d) They failed and had to go back and destroy many cities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
2. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
3. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
4. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)