|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
(a) Charles I of Spain.
(b) Louis XII of France.
(c) Duke Lodovico.
(d) Archduke Ferdinand of Austria.
2. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
(a) His face is on their coins.
(b) He allows the people to do exactly as they please.
(c) He has less of a chance of giving offense.
(d) He goes to school with the children of the princedom.
3. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
(a) One that is an entirely new settlement.
(b) One that kills all the citizens of the old regime.
(c) One that comes from political intrigue.
(d) One that does not come from a long line of ruling ancestors.
4. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
(a) He has taken too much time off.
(b) He insulted Prince Lorenzo de Medici.
(c) He has been working for the government overthrown by the Medici.
(d) He has had a long illness.
5. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
(a) He is citing his own experience as a new prince.
(b) He will talk only about princes he has known personally.
(c) He is giving the highest examples from history.
(d) He is the only man who knows the facts he is about to reveal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
2. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
3. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
4. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)