|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
(a) Something that just happens.
(b) Lack of ability to govern.
(c) Punishment of God for misdeeds.
(d) Perceived weakness on the part of opponents.
2. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
(b) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
(c) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
(d) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
3. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
(a) It is rarely the case that new rulers improve the lives of the conquered.
(b) People think the new government will be more of the same.
(c) Men always think a new government will be worse than before.
(d) Old leaders must be kept alive and included in the new government.
4. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
(b) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
(c) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(d) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
5. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
(a) They found it easy to get Greeks to adopt Roman ways.
(b) They failed and had to go back and destroy many cities.
(c) They succeeded by adding Roman universities to the Greek educational system.
(d) They succeeded by expanding on the Spartan idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
2. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
3. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
4. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
5. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)