|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Using his army to gain more territory.
(b) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
(c) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
(d) Outrageous vices.
2. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
(a) He called democracy by another name.
(b) None existed at that time.
(c) He rejected the idea outright as a madness of the Greeks.
(d) He considered them inferior.
3. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
(a) Appeals to the Pope of Rome.
(b) Free elections.
(c) Political intrigue.
(d) The arms of others.
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should live there.
(b) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
(c) The new Prince should raise taxes.
(d) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
5. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
(b) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
(c) The people did not care who ruled them.
(d) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
2. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
3. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
4. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)