|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They lost the new territories.
(b) They changed their own forms of government.
(c) They learned how to retain a possession.
(d) They held them for a thousand years.
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
(a) The Holy Roman Empire.
(b) The King of Naples as part of the dominions of Spain.
(c) The Prince of Venice as part of the dominions of France.
(d) The Medici as part of the Borgia dominions.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(b) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(c) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(d) Each day being the same as the day before.
4. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
(a) Being at the right place and in the right time.
(b) A person's innate ability.
(c) The intervention of God.
(d) The will of the people.
5. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
(a) Public elections.
(b) Revolution among the lowest class of subjects.
(c) Extrodinary and irresistable force.
(d) Disagreements within a family of hereditary rulers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Medici come to power?
2. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
3. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
4. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
5. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)