|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(b) More and more innovation.
(c) Disdain for the past.
2. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
(b) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
(c) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
(d) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
3. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
(a) There was something in Moses, some ability that made him worthy to speak with God.
(b) Moses never actually established himself as a leader.
(c) There is no histroy of Moses outside of the Jewish holy writings.
(d) Instead of ruling the Egyptians after defeating them, he left.
4. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
(a) His knowledge of the actions of great men.
(b) Horses and armor.
(c) Gold and precious gems.
(d) Fine fabrics.
5. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They changed their own forms of government.
(b) They held them for a thousand years.
(c) They lost the new territories.
(d) They learned how to retain a possession.
Short Answer Questions
1. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
2. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
4. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
5. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)