|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) It would be easy to get it back.
(b) The people would forget all about him.
(c) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(d) He would lose all popularity with the people.
2. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They lost the new territories.
(b) They held them for a thousand years.
(c) They learned how to retain a possession.
(d) They changed their own forms of government.
3. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
(b) Move the subjects from place to place.
(c) Change his residence whenever he likes.
(d) Travel any time he wants.
4. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(b) Each day being the same as the day before.
(c) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(d) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
5. How do the Medici come to power?
(a) Through inheritance.
(b) Through democratic elections.
(c) Through clever political manipulation.
(d) Through war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
2. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
3. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
4. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
5. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)