|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A chemist.
(b) A choreographer.
(c) A professor.
(d) A cartographer.
2. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
(a) State and Dominion.
(b) City State and Territory.
(c) Kingdom and City State.
(d) State and Republic.
3. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
(a) Arms and strategy.
(b) Colonization and residency.
(c) Good fortune and merit.
(d) The importance of a republic.
4. How do the Medici come to power?
(a) Through democratic elections.
(b) Through war.
(c) Through clever political manipulation.
(d) Through inheritance.
5. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
(a) A hereditary princedom.
(b) An elected dynasty.
(c) Princedoms formed by warring factions.
(d) New princedoms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
2. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
3. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
4. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
5. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)