|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(b) He relied on his own intuitions.
(c) He tried all methods of government himself.
(d) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
2. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A choreographer.
(b) A chemist.
(c) A professor.
(d) A cartographer.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
(b) The new Prince should live there.
(c) The new Prince should raise taxes.
(d) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
4. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
(a) Horses and armor.
(b) Gold and precious gems.
(c) His knowledge of the actions of great men.
(d) Fine fabrics.
5. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
(a) One that does not come from a long line of ruling ancestors.
(b) One that comes from political intrigue.
(c) One that is an entirely new settlement.
(d) One that kills all the citizens of the old regime.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
2. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
3. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
4. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
5. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)