|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
(b) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
(c) The new Prince should live there.
(d) The new Prince should raise taxes.
2. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) He would lose all popularity with the people.
(b) It would be easy to get it back.
(c) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(d) The people would forget all about him.
3. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
(a) Political intrigue.
(b) The arms of others.
(c) Appeals to the Pope of Rome.
(d) Free elections.
4. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
(a) Using high sounding literary devices to make the work seem more important.
(b) Using language of respect that is usually spoken before a prince.
(c) Making everything brief in his writing so that main points are missed.
(d) Giving only the facts of great leaders and how they governed.
5. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
(a) He has taken too much time off.
(b) He has been working for the government overthrown by the Medici.
(c) He insulted Prince Lorenzo de Medici.
(d) He has had a long illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
2. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
3. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
4. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
5. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)