|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(b) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(c) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(d) Each day being the same as the day before.
2. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
(a) Experience and the absence of flattery.
(b) Experience and his low-born status.
(c) Experience and his ability as a writer.
(d) Experience and his personal need.
3. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
(a) He wanted to become a prince.
(b) He wanted to become a famous author.
(c) He wanted to start a revolution.
(d) He wanted Prince Lorenzo de Medici to employ him.
4. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
(b) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(c) He relied on his own intuitions.
(d) He tried all methods of government himself.
5. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
(a) There were no republics in his day.
(b) He thought dominions were much harder to keep.
(c) He wrote about republics in another work.
(d) Dominions are much larger than republics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
2. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
4. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
5. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)