|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
(a) The new Kingdom of Naples.
(b) Milan under Francesco Sforza.
(c) The Kingdom of Spain.
(d) Venice under the Doge.
2. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
(a) He wanted Prince Lorenzo de Medici to employ him.
(b) He wanted to become a famous author.
(c) He wanted to start a revolution.
(d) He wanted to become a prince.
3. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A professor.
(b) A cartographer.
(c) A choreographer.
(d) A chemist.
4. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
(a) He insulted Prince Lorenzo de Medici.
(b) He has had a long illness.
(c) He has been working for the government overthrown by the Medici.
(d) He has taken too much time off.
5. How do the Medici come to power?
(a) Through war.
(b) Through democratic elections.
(c) Through clever political manipulation.
(d) Through inheritance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
2. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
3. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
4. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
5. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)