|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(a) More and more innovation.
(c) Disdain for the past.
2. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) The people would forget all about him.
(b) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(c) He would lose all popularity with the people.
(d) It would be easy to get it back.
3. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
(a) That he attain all the merits he deserves.
(b) That he not become a tyrant.
(c) That he recognizes Machiavelli's genius.
(d) That he sets up a completely new form of government.
4. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
(a) The Kingdom of Spain.
(b) Venice under the Doge.
(c) Milan under Francesco Sforza.
(d) The new Kingdom of Naples.
5. How do the Medici come to power?
(a) Through inheritance.
(b) Through democratic elections.
(c) Through war.
(d) Through clever political manipulation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
2. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
3. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
4. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
5. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)