|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(b) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(c) Each day being the same as the day before.
(d) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
2. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
(a) Better conditions for the subjects of a dominion.
(b) A dovetailing of more and more change.
(c) Growth of the dominion by annexation.
(d) Pleasure of the subjects who like to see a lot of changes.
3. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
(a) If the people speak the same language.
(b) If the people have never been ruled before.
(c) If the new Prince leaves the old rulers in place.
(d) If the people like the new food introduced into the dominion.
4. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) It would be easy to get it back.
(b) He would lose all popularity with the people.
(c) The people would forget all about him.
(d) He would have to run for his life and never return.
5. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
(a) Charles I of Spain.
(b) Archduke Ferdinand of Austria.
(c) Louis XII of France.
(d) Duke Lodovico.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
2. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
3. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
5. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)