|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
(a) A mishap on the part of the new government.
(b) The money he was able to stash away before being invaded.
(c) The tendency of new governments to rely heavily on hereditary princes.
(d) The sympathy of the surrounding dominions.
2. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He relied on his own intuitions.
(b) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(c) He tried all methods of government himself.
(d) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
3. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
(a) He wanted Prince Lorenzo de Medici to employ him.
(b) He wanted to become a famous author.
(c) He wanted to start a revolution.
(d) He wanted to become a prince.
4. To whom does Machiavelli compare himself in writing this book?
(a) A cartographer.
(b) A choreographer.
(c) A chemist.
(d) A professor.
5. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(a) More and more innovation.
(c) Disdain for the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
2. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
3. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
4. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
5. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)