|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
(a) He insulted Prince Lorenzo de Medici.
(b) He has taken too much time off.
(c) He has been working for the government overthrown by the Medici.
(d) He has had a long illness.
2. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(b) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
(c) He relied on his own intuitions.
(d) He tried all methods of government himself.
3. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
(a) Appeals to the Pope of Rome.
(b) Political intrigue.
(c) Free elections.
(d) The arms of others.
4. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
(a) The prince changes things often at his own whim.
(b) All people everywhere actually prefer a prince.
(c) The prince has more power than a republic.
(d) The people are already familiar with that form of government.
5. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(a) Disdain for the past.
(c) More and more innovation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
2. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
4. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
5. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)