|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
(a) That he attain all the merits he deserves.
(b) That he sets up a completely new form of government.
(c) That he not become a tyrant.
(d) That he recognizes Machiavelli's genius.
2. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
(a) State and Republic.
(b) City State and Territory.
(c) State and Dominion.
(d) Kingdom and City State.
3. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
(a) Lack of ability to govern.
(b) Perceived weakness on the part of opponents.
(c) Something that just happens.
(d) Punishment of God for misdeeds.
4. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
(a) Appeals to the Pope of Rome.
(b) The arms of others.
(c) Free elections.
(d) Political intrigue.
5. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
(a) He thought dominions were much harder to keep.
(b) Dominions are much larger than republics.
(c) He wrote about republics in another work.
(d) There were no republics in his day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
3. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
4. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
5. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)