Eight Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
(b) Change his residence whenever he likes.
(c) Move the subjects from place to place.
(d) Travel any time he wants.
2. How do the Medici come to power?
(a) Through inheritance.
(b) Through democratic elections.
(c) Through war.
(d) Through clever political manipulation.
3. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(b) With great difficulty.
(c) It is impossible.
4. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
(a) That he not become a tyrant.
(b) That he sets up a completely new form of government.
(c) That he recognizes Machiavelli's genius.
(d) That he attain all the merits he deserves.
5. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(b) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(c) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
(d) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
3. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
4. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
5. What combination of circumstances does Machiavelli identify in men like Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)