|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
(a) Growth of the dominion by annexation.
(b) Pleasure of the subjects who like to see a lot of changes.
(c) Better conditions for the subjects of a dominion.
(d) A dovetailing of more and more change.
2. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
(a) Experience and his low-born status.
(b) Experience and his ability as a writer.
(c) Experience and his personal need.
(d) Experience and the absence of flattery.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
(b) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
(c) Outrageous vices.
(d) Using his army to gain more territory.
4. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
(a) Means of mastering in a short time all Machiavelli has learned about governing.
(b) A large book of rules for new princes to use in governing the people.
(c) Personal introductions to great men Machiavelli knows.
(d) The chance to become king of all Italy.
5. Why does Machiavelli say that new territories are harder to govern than hereditary ones?
(a) People think the new government will be more of the same.
(b) It is rarely the case that new rulers improve the lives of the conquered.
(c) Old leaders must be kept alive and included in the new government.
(d) Men always think a new government will be worse than before.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
2. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
3. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
4. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)