|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first test of a new prince as a judge?
(a) The wisdom and ability of the ministers he chooses to help him.
(b) The number of executions he orders at the beginning of his reign.
(c) Firing his military leaders and putting them into prison.
(d) The amount of public aid he offers the people.
2. What does Machiavelli suggest will be the reaction of the people if he is greedy and seizes property and women?
(a) They will support him.
(b) They will hate him.
(c) They will think he is a just ruler.
(d) They will become like him.
3. How will the prince be seen if his ministers are capable and wise even though he is not?
(a) He will be seen as having a great deal of luck.
(b) He will be seen as a puppet to his ministers.
(c) He will be seen as capable and wise.
(d) He will be seen as inferior.
4. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
(a) That he is more important than the people.
(b) That he trusts his military advisors.
(c) That he fears the people.
(d) That he will always be ready to defend the people.
5. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) None whatsoever.
(b) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
(c) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
(d) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
2. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
3. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
4. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
5. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)