|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
(a) Women mercenaries who fight along side of men.
(b) The best insurance a prince has for his safety.
(c) Extra manpower that may be called to active duty during a war.
(d) Those borrowed from other principalities to wage war.
2. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
(a) He is removing constitutional authority.
(b) He is removing God from politics and the power equation.
(c) He is removing objections to the combination of church and state.
(d) He is removing political involvement of the church.
3. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
(a) The intervention of God.
(b) The will of the people.
(c) A person's innate ability.
(d) Being at the right place and in the right time.
4. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
(a) He suggests that there is a proper use of cruelty.
(b) He believes that cruelty must continue to be successful.
(c) He says any use of cruelty cannot be justified.
(d) He states that political assassination is not cruelty.
5. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
(a) Caleb and Joshua.
(b) David and Goliath.
(c) Samson and Delilah.
(d) Egypt and Syria.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
2. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
3. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
4. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
5. Which examples does Machiavelli use to support the idea of not being overly generous?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)