|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
(b) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
(c) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
(d) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
2. In the event that the prince cannot afford a large army, what should he do?
(a) Negotiate diplomatically with any potential enemies.
(b) Post lookouts in the countryside.
(c) Make sure his city is well fortified.
(d) Have a good plan to escape if attacked.
3. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
(a) Learn quickly.
(b) Hand out money.
(c) Read his book.
(d) Build a new palace.
4. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
(b) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
(c) None whatsoever.
(d) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
5. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
(a) It gives the people added duties and importance.
(b) Having arms is a basic human right.
(c) Disarmed people cannot protect their prince.
(d) It shows that he either distrusts the people or fears them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
2. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
3. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
4. Which prince does Machiavelli say must be generous?
5. Why should a prince keep down factions in his princedom?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)