|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
(a) To keep foreigners out of Italy.
(b) To war among themselves.
(c) To form an Italian Republic.
(d) To restore the Roman Empire.
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
(a) Egypt going to war with Sparta.
(b) Pisa arising against the Florentines.
(c) Persia throwing off the rule of Alexander the Great.
(d) Carthage getting its independence from Rome.
3. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
(a) Through Ability or Accident.
(b) Through Fortune or Ability.
(c) Through War and Pestilence.
(d) Through democratic elections.
4. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
(a) Sparticus and the Roman slaves.
(b) Phillip, father of Alexander the Great.
(c) Darius, King of Persia.
(d) The last days of the Roman Empire.
5. What is a constant threat to any prince?
(d) Loss of income.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
2. Who was responsible for weakening the power of Colonna and Orsini, the barons of Rome?
3. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
4. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
5. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)