|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
(a) Defeating the Carthiginians.
(b) Assembling the Senate to confer and then having them all killed.
(c) Getting the poor people to support him against the aristocracy.
(d) Beheading anyone who opposed him.
2. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
(a) He refused to pay them.
(b) He put them on the front lines to be killed.
(c) He hired more mercenaries.
(d) He had them cut to pieces.
3. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
(a) He suggests that there is a proper use of cruelty.
(b) He states that political assassination is not cruelty.
(c) He believes that cruelty must continue to be successful.
(d) He says any use of cruelty cannot be justified.
4. What is it that a prince cannot control among his subjects?
(a) Their love.
(b) Their taxation.
(c) Their fear.
(d) Their cooperation.
5. Which examples does Machiavelli use to support the idea of not being overly generous?
(a) Moses and the Duke of Milan.
(b) King Saul and Ramses the Great.
(c) King Midas and King Darius.
(d) The King of Spain and the King of France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest will be the reaction of the people if he is greedy and seizes property and women?
2. How will a prince often be judged by others?
3. What Roman Emperor does Machiavelli cite as an example of being both a lion and a fox?
4. Who does Machiavelli cite as an example of generosity that ended badly?
5. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)