|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How will a prince often be judged by others?
(a) By the number of sons he has.
(b) By the family he marries into.
(c) By the size of his palace.
(d) By the behavior of his ministers.
2. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
(a) King Luis XII of France.
(b) Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan.
(c) The military head of the Orsini.
(d) Pope Alexander IV.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
(a) Military barracks surrounding his palace.
(b) Favorable public opinion.
(c) A palace in the center of the city.
(d) A palace surrounded by a wide moat.
4. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
(a) Making themselves popular with the people.
(b) Promising to lower taxes.
(c) Bribing the military.
(d) Holding many public meetings.
5. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
(a) Ramses II
(c) The sons of Sforza, Duke of Milan
(d) Philopoemonm, Prince of the Achaians
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
2. What does the prince gain from rewarding his ministers well for jobs well done?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
4. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
5. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)