|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
(a) Hand out money.
(b) Learn quickly.
(c) Read his book.
(d) Build a new palace.
2. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
(a) He was accidentally killed by a poorly aimed arrow.
(b) Cesare Borgia did the same thing to him.
(c) He died of natural causes before he could become Prince of Fermo.
(d) A son of one of the murdered men put poison in his wine.
3. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
(a) State and Dominion.
(b) City State and Territory.
(c) State and Republic.
(d) Kingdom and City State.
4. What does the prince gain from rewarding his ministers well for jobs well done?
(a) He gets time to look around for new ministers who are not so dangerous.
(b) He gets losts of gifts from those ministers who become wealthy.
(c) He gets a percentage of all those ministers make from taking bribes.
(d) He gets their support without fear of their trying to overthrow him.
5. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(b) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
(c) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
(d) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
Short Answer Questions
1. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
2. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
3. What is the first test of a new prince as a judge?
4. Before Pope Alexander VI, what prevented the Church from gaining even more power?
5. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)