|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
(a) Appeals to the Pope of Rome.
(b) Political intrigue.
(c) The arms of others.
(d) Free elections.
2. How does Machiavelli say that the great military leaders of history were so successful?
(a) By finding new ways to avoid war.
(b) By relying on hired soldiers from other countries.
(c) By studying the arts.
(d) By imitating the great men before them.
3. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
(a) Lack of ability to govern.
(b) Punishment of God for misdeeds.
(c) Something that just happens.
(d) Perceived weakness on the part of opponents.
4. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) It would be easy to get it back.
(b) The people would forget all about him.
(c) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(d) He would lose all popularity with the people.
5. Why does Machiavelli say that the sultans of Turkey and Egypt had to listen more to the military than to the people?
(a) The people did not understand the threats of invasion.
(b) Their countries were controlled by the military.
(c) All the men were drafted into the military.
(d) The best people were in their militaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Pope Alexander VI, what prevented the Church from gaining even more power?
2. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
3. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
4. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
5. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)