|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
(a) They moved the Roman capital to Carthage.
(b) They made them all Roman citizens with new priviliges.
(c) They allowed them to select government officials from their own citizens.
(d) They destroyed them and set up their own system of government.
2. Before Pope Alexander VI, what prevented the Church from gaining even more power?
(a) Wars fought between the Colonna, the Orsini and the Pope.
(b) The commercial power of the Venetians.
(c) The separation of Church and State.
(d) The threat of invasion by France.
3. Why does Machiavelli say that the sultans of Turkey and Egypt had to listen more to the military than to the people?
(a) Their countries were controlled by the military.
(b) The people did not understand the threats of invasion.
(c) All the men were drafted into the military.
(d) The best people were in their militaries.
4. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
(b) The sons of Sforza, Duke of Milan
(c) Ramses II
(d) Philopoemonm, Prince of the Achaians
5. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
(a) The prince becomes lazy and leaves everything up to the barons.
(b) The barons hold their titles by heredity and not by the favor of the prince, so there is less loyalty.
(c) The prince does always knows what the barons are doing in their territories.
(d) If the prince dies the barons all lose their hereditary titles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
2. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
3. What is it that a prince cannot control among his subjects?
4. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
5. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)