|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They lost the new territories.
(b) They learned how to retain a possession.
(c) They changed their own forms of government.
(d) They held them for a thousand years.
2. If a city is well fortified against attack, what will cause the enemy to retreat?
(a) They will retreat because they cannot afford a long seige.
(b) They will retreat because they are cold outside the walls of the city.
(c) They will retreat because they do not have enough supplies to feed themselves.
(d) They will retreat because the fortified city makes them believe there are other armies in the field.
3. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
(a) Through Ability or Accident.
(b) Through democratic elections.
(c) Through Fortune or Ability.
(d) Through War and Pestilence.
4. What is the first test of a new prince as a judge?
(a) The number of executions he orders at the beginning of his reign.
(b) The amount of public aid he offers the people.
(c) Firing his military leaders and putting them into prison.
(d) The wisdom and ability of the ministers he chooses to help him.
5. How will a prince often be judged by others?
(a) By the number of sons he has.
(b) By the family he marries into.
(c) By the behavior of his ministers.
(d) By the size of his palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that the sultans of Turkey and Egypt had to listen more to the military than to the people?
2. After Alexander VI, how did the Pope continue to strengthen the Church's position?
3. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
4. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
5. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)