|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
(a) Through Fortune or Ability.
(b) Through War and Pestilence.
(c) Through democratic elections.
(d) Through Ability or Accident.
2. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
(a) He allows the people to do exactly as they please.
(b) His face is on their coins.
(c) He goes to school with the children of the princedom.
(d) He has less of a chance of giving offense.
3. Which statement is true according to Machiavelli?
(a) A prince should be quick to believe and quick to act.
(b) Men are more likely to break a promise made in fear.
(c) It is better to be feared than loved.
(d) Men care more about offending those they love than those they fear.
4. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
(a) The Prince who inherited his donimion can disband his army.
(b) It is impossible for him to lose his dominion.
(c) People are accustomed to rule by that family.
(d) He can get away with having more vices.
5. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
(a) He put them on the front lines to be killed.
(b) He hired more mercenaries.
(c) He had them cut to pieces.
(d) He refused to pay them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is a reputation for cruelty necessary for a prince?
2. If a city is well fortified against attack, what will cause the enemy to retreat?
3. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
4. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
5. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)