|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
(a) Because he was not successful in gaining control of Sicily.
(b) Because his cruelty continued after he came to power.
(c) Because he came from humble beginnings.
(d) Beause he did not plan what to do after he became prince.
2. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
(a) Being at the right place and in the right time.
(b) The intervention of God.
(c) The will of the people.
(d) A person's innate ability.
3. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
(b) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
(c) The people did not care who ruled them.
(d) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
4. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
(d) Absolute monarchy.
5. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(a) More and more innovation.
(d) Disdain for the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
2. Which statement is true according to Machiavelli?
3. If a city is well fortified against attack, what will cause the enemy to retreat?
4. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
5. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)