|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
(a) He considered them inferior.
(b) None existed at that time.
(c) He called democracy by another name.
(d) He rejected the idea outright as a madness of the Greeks.
2. Those who were viewed with suspicion at the beginning of a princedom usually become the most loyal subjects. Why?
(a) They never did anything to cause distrust in the first place.
(b) They work hard to gain the approval of the prince.
(c) The prince will use them for unpopular tasks.
(d) The prince was a poor judge of character in the beginning.
3. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
(c) Absolute monarchy.
4. What is a constant threat to any prince?
(c) Loss of income.
5. What does Machiavelli say the new prince can least afford?
(d) Excessive kindness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
2. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
3. What is the best type of mind Machiavelli says is needed for a strong prince?
4. Who was responsible for weakening the power of Colonna and Orsini, the barons of Rome?
5. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)