|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
(a) His ill health after the death of his father.
(b) His opposition from the new Pope after the death of Alexander IV.
(c) His bad choices of political allies.
(d) His lack of knowledge of what to do after his father's death.
2. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
(a) On hunting expeditions.
(b) During times of peace.
(c) When he is being invaded.
(d) When he visits another prince.
3. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
(d) Absolute monarchy.
4. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
(a) Through Fortune or Ability.
(b) Through Ability or Accident.
(c) Through War and Pestilence.
(d) Through democratic elections.
5. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
(b) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
(c) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
(d) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
2. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
3. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
4. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
5. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)