|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
(a) An elected dynasty.
(b) A hereditary princedom.
(c) New princedoms.
(d) Princedoms formed by warring factions.
2. Which prince does Machiavelli say must be generous?
(a) One who inherited his title.
(b) One who has excessive vices.
(c) One who is about to go to war.
(d) One just coming into power.
3. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
(a) Cesare Borgia did the same thing to him.
(b) A son of one of the murdered men put poison in his wine.
(c) He was accidentally killed by a poorly aimed arrow.
(d) He died of natural causes before he could become Prince of Fermo.
4. What does Machiavelli say the new prince can least afford?
(c) Excessive kindness.
5. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
(a) Better conditions for the subjects of a dominion.
(b) Pleasure of the subjects who like to see a lot of changes.
(c) Growth of the dominion by annexation.
(d) A dovetailing of more and more change.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
2. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
3. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
4. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
5. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)