|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which prince does Machiavelli say must be generous?
(a) One who has excessive vices.
(b) One who is about to go to war.
(c) One just coming into power.
(d) One who inherited his title.
2. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) None whatsoever.
(b) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
(c) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
(d) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
3. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
(a) Helping the Spanish cardinals elect a Spanish Pope.
(b) Failure to get medical attention soon enough.
(c) Allowing the election of Pope Julius II.
(d) Distancing himself from the French court.
4. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
(a) If the prince dies the barons all lose their hereditary titles.
(b) The prince does always knows what the barons are doing in their territories.
(c) The prince becomes lazy and leaves everything up to the barons.
(d) The barons hold their titles by heredity and not by the favor of the prince, so there is less loyalty.
5. After Alexander VI, how did the Pope continue to strengthen the Church's position?
(a) By selling ecclesiastical offices and annexing land.
(b) By gaining more popularity among the Italians.
(c) By military invasions of other dominions.
(d) By putting monasteries in new dominions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
2. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
3. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
4. How will the prince be seen if his ministers are capable and wise even though he is not?
5. How does Machiavelli say a prince can make himself feared without making himself hated?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)