|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
(a) Failure to get medical attention soon enough.
(b) Helping the Spanish cardinals elect a Spanish Pope.
(c) Distancing himself from the French court.
(d) Allowing the election of Pope Julius II.
2. After Alexander VI, how did the Pope continue to strengthen the Church's position?
(a) By selling ecclesiastical offices and annexing land.
(b) By putting monasteries in new dominions.
(c) By gaining more popularity among the Italians.
(d) By military invasions of other dominions.
3. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
(a) They failed and had to go back and destroy many cities.
(b) They succeeded by adding Roman universities to the Greek educational system.
(c) They found it easy to get Greeks to adopt Roman ways.
(d) They succeeded by expanding on the Spartan idea.
4. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
(a) He allows the people to do exactly as they please.
(b) His face is on their coins.
(c) He goes to school with the children of the princedom.
(d) He has less of a chance of giving offense.
5. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
(a) The tendency of new governments to rely heavily on hereditary princes.
(b) A mishap on the part of the new government.
(c) The sympathy of the surrounding dominions.
(d) The money he was able to stash away before being invaded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
2. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
3. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
4. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
5. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)