|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Using his army to gain more territory.
(b) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
(c) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
(d) Outrageous vices.
2. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
(a) Frequently reviewing his troops.
(b) Making sure he has the money to pay his mercenaries.
(c) Knowing how to locate the enemy, deploy his soldiers, and lay siege to a city.
(d) Making constant changes in his miliary command.
3. How does Machiavelli say a private citizen might make himself a prince?
(a) By becoming proficient in war and rising in rank.
(b) By avoiding war and promoting peace.
(c) By hiring his own mercenaries.
(d) By becoming a puppet of an enemy military.
4. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
(a) A mishap on the part of the new government.
(b) The tendency of new governments to rely heavily on hereditary princes.
(c) The money he was able to stash away before being invaded.
(d) The sympathy of the surrounding dominions.
5. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
(a) They refused to resort to political assassination.
(b) They were both Italians.
(c) They got their positions from other princes.
(d) They knew what they wanted and made a plan to get it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ancient example does Machiavelli use to illustrate the rise to power through criminal actions?
2. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
4. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
5. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)