|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Declare many holidays.
(b) Keep the old system in place.
(c) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(d) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
2. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
(a) During times of peace.
(b) When he visits another prince.
(c) When he is being invaded.
(d) On hunting expeditions.
3. What does Machiavelli say is the first requirement of a commander?
(a) Frequently reviewing his troops.
(b) Making sure he has the money to pay his mercenaries.
(c) Knowing how to locate the enemy, deploy his soldiers, and lay siege to a city.
(d) Making constant changes in his miliary command.
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Ferrara.
(b) The Duke of Genoa.
(c) The Duke of Earle.
(d) The Duke of Milan.
5. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
(b) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
(c) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
(d) None whatsoever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
2. Ending his discussion of Ecclesiastical Dominions, why is Machiavelli so circumspect about the current Pope?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
4. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
5. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)