|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
(a) To keep foreigners out of Italy.
(b) To war among themselves.
(c) To restore the Roman Empire.
(d) To form an Italian Republic.
2. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) It would be easy to get it back.
(b) The people would forget all about him.
(c) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(d) He would lose all popularity with the people.
3. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
(a) He was accidentally killed by a poorly aimed arrow.
(b) He died of natural causes before he could become Prince of Fermo.
(c) Cesare Borgia did the same thing to him.
(d) A son of one of the murdered men put poison in his wine.
4. How does Machiavelli say that the great military leaders of history were so successful?
(a) By studying the arts.
(b) By imitating the great men before them.
(c) By relying on hired soldiers from other countries.
(d) By finding new ways to avoid war.
5. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
(c) Absolute monarchy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
3. How does Machiavelli say a private citizen might make himself a prince?
4. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
5. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)