|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say that the great military leaders of history were so successful?
(a) By relying on hired soldiers from other countries.
(b) By imitating the great men before them.
(c) By finding new ways to avoid war.
(d) By studying the arts.
2. Ending his discussion of Ecclesiastical Dominions, why is Machiavelli so circumspect about the current Pope?
(a) Pope Leo fears Niccolo Machiavelli.
(b) Pope Leo is the uncle of Lorenzo de Medici.
(c) Pope Leo might give Machiavelli a job.
(d) Pope Leo does not support the Medici.
3. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(b) It would be easy to get it back.
(c) He would lose all popularity with the people.
(d) The people would forget all about him.
4. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
(a) Absolute monarchy.
5. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
(a) During times of peace.
(b) When he is being invaded.
(c) On hunting expeditions.
(d) When he visits another prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Pope Alexander VI, what prevented the Church from gaining even more power?
2. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
3. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
4. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
5. Who was responsible for weakening the power of Colonna and Orsini, the barons of Rome?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)