|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Alexander VI, how did the Pope continue to strengthen the Church's position?
(a) By selling ecclesiastical offices and annexing land.
(b) By gaining more popularity among the Italians.
(c) By military invasions of other dominions.
(d) By putting monasteries in new dominions.
2. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
(a) The sons of Sforza, Duke of Milan
(b) Ramses II
(c) Philopoemonm, Prince of the Achaians
3. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
(a) On hunting expeditions.
(b) When he is being invaded.
(c) When he visits another prince.
(d) During times of peace.
4. Who was responsible for weakening the power of Colonna and Orsini, the barons of Rome?
(a) Cesare Borgia.
(b) Charles VIII of France.
(c) King Louis VII.
(d) Remiro d'Orco.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(b) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(c) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(d) Each day being the same as the day before.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
2. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
3. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
4. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
5. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)