|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Milan.
(b) The Duke of Earle.
(c) The Duke of Genoa.
(d) The Duke of Ferrara.
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
(a) Persia throwing off the rule of Alexander the Great.
(b) Egypt going to war with Sparta.
(c) Carthage getting its independence from Rome.
(d) Pisa arising against the Florentines.
3. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
(a) To keep foreigners out of Italy.
(b) To restore the Roman Empire.
(c) To form an Italian Republic.
(d) To war among themselves.
4. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(a) More and more innovation.
(b) Disdain for the past.
5. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
(a) The art of war.
(b) The art of diplomacy.
(c) The art of fine living.
(d) The art of collecting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
2. What ancient example does Machiavelli use to illustrate the rise to power through criminal actions?
3. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
4. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
5. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)