|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
(a) The art of war.
(b) The art of fine living.
(c) The art of collecting.
(d) The art of diplomacy.
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Earle.
(b) The Duke of Ferrara.
(c) The Duke of Genoa.
(d) The Duke of Milan.
3. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
(a) To restore the Roman Empire.
(b) To keep foreigners out of Italy.
(c) To war among themselves.
(d) To form an Italian Republic.
4. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
(a) The Prince who inherited his donimion can disband his army.
(b) People are accustomed to rule by that family.
(c) It is impossible for him to lose his dominion.
(d) He can get away with having more vices.
5. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) None whatsoever.
(b) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
(c) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
(d) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
2. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
3. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
4. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)