|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Alexander VI, how did the Pope continue to strengthen the Church's position?
(a) By military invasions of other dominions.
(b) By putting monasteries in new dominions.
(c) By selling ecclesiastical offices and annexing land.
(d) By gaining more popularity among the Italians.
2. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) The people would forget all about him.
(b) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(c) It would be easy to get it back.
(d) He would lose all popularity with the people.
3. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
(a) They failed and had to go back and destroy many cities.
(b) They succeeded by expanding on the Spartan idea.
(c) They succeeded by adding Roman universities to the Greek educational system.
(d) They found it easy to get Greeks to adopt Roman ways.
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
(a) Egypt going to war with Sparta.
(b) Pisa arising against the Florentines.
(c) Carthage getting its independence from Rome.
(d) Persia throwing off the rule of Alexander the Great.
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Earle.
(b) The Duke of Milan.
(c) The Duke of Genoa.
(d) The Duke of Ferrara.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
2. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
3. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
4. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
5. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)