|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(b) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
(c) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
(d) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
2. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
(a) To keep foreigners out of Italy.
(b) To form an Italian Republic.
(c) To restore the Roman Empire.
(d) To war among themselves.
3. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
(d) Absolute monarchy.
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
(a) Persia throwing off the rule of Alexander the Great.
(b) Pisa arising against the Florentines.
(c) Egypt going to war with Sparta.
(d) Carthage getting its independence from Rome.
5. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They changed their own forms of government.
(b) They learned how to retain a possession.
(c) They held them for a thousand years.
(d) They lost the new territories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
2. When does Machiavelli say a prince should be thinking most about military strategy?
3. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
5. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)