|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(b) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(c) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(d) Each day being the same as the day before.
2. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(b) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
(c) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(d) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
3. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
(a) They succeeded by expanding on the Spartan idea.
(b) They failed and had to go back and destroy many cities.
(c) They found it easy to get Greeks to adopt Roman ways.
(d) They succeeded by adding Roman universities to the Greek educational system.
4. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
(a) Because his cruelty continued after he came to power.
(b) Because he was not successful in gaining control of Sicily.
(c) Beause he did not plan what to do after he became prince.
(d) Because he came from humble beginnings.
5. After Alexander VI, how did the Pope continue to strengthen the Church's position?
(a) By putting monasteries in new dominions.
(b) By gaining more popularity among the Italians.
(c) By military invasions of other dominions.
(d) By selling ecclesiastical offices and annexing land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
2. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
3. What does Machiavelli say is the only art expected of a prince?
4. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
5. Who does Machiavelli single out as a prince who was always prepared for war?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)