Two Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was responsible for weakening the power of Colonna and Orsini, the barons of Rome?
(a) Remiro d'Orco.
(b) Charles VIII of France.
(c) King Louis VII.
(d) Cesare Borgia.
2. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
(a) The Prince who inherited his donimion can disband his army.
(b) People are accustomed to rule by that family.
(c) It is impossible for him to lose his dominion.
(d) He can get away with having more vices.
3. Before Pope Alexander VI, what prevented the Church from gaining even more power?
(a) The threat of invasion by France.
(b) The separation of Church and State.
(c) The commercial power of the Venetians.
(d) Wars fought between the Colonna, the Orsini and the Pope.
4. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
(a) The sympathy of the surrounding dominions.
(b) The money he was able to stash away before being invaded.
(c) The tendency of new governments to rely heavily on hereditary princes.
(d) A mishap on the part of the new government.
5. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
(a) To keep foreigners out of Italy.
(b) To war among themselves.
(c) To form an Italian Republic.
(d) To restore the Roman Empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
3. How does Machiavelli say that the great military leaders of history were so successful?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
5. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)