|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
(a) Caleb and Joshua.
(b) Egypt and Syria.
(c) Samson and Delilah.
(d) David and Goliath.
2. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
(a) That he trusts his military advisors.
(b) That he fears the people.
(c) That he will always be ready to defend the people.
(d) That he is more important than the people.
3. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
(a) He had them cut to pieces.
(b) He hired more mercenaries.
(c) He refused to pay them.
(d) He put them on the front lines to be killed.
4. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(a) It is impossible.
(d) With great difficulty.
5. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
(b) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
(c) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(d) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
2. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
3. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
4. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
5. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)