|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
(a) That he fears the people.
(b) That he is more important than the people.
(c) That he trusts his military advisors.
(d) That he will always be ready to defend the people.
2. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
(b) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(c) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
(d) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
3. Why should a prince keep down factions in his princedom?
(a) Factions keep him tied up as a judge all the time.
(b) People enjoy the debates and work production slows down.
(c) The prince must decide which faction is stronger and play up to them.
(d) The weaker faction will side with an outside enemy, and the stronger will not be able to hold out.
4. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
(b) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
(c) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
(d) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
5. Those who were viewed with suspicion at the beginning of a princedom usually become the most loyal subjects. Why?
(a) They never did anything to cause distrust in the first place.
(b) The prince will use them for unpopular tasks.
(c) They work hard to gain the approval of the prince.
(d) The prince was a poor judge of character in the beginning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
2. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
3. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
4. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
5. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)