|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why should a prince keep down factions in his princedom?
(a) Factions keep him tied up as a judge all the time.
(b) The prince must decide which faction is stronger and play up to them.
(c) People enjoy the debates and work production slows down.
(d) The weaker faction will side with an outside enemy, and the stronger will not be able to hold out.
2. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
(a) Darius, King of Persia.
(b) Phillip, father of Alexander the Great.
(c) Sparticus and the Roman slaves.
(d) The last days of the Roman Empire.
3. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
(a) He hired more mercenaries.
(b) He refused to pay them.
(c) He had them cut to pieces.
(d) He put them on the front lines to be killed.
4. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(b) It is impossible.
(d) With great difficulty.
5. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
(b) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
(c) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
(d) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
2. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
3. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
4. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
5. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)