|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
(a) Auxiliary forces may be recalled if their home dominion is attacked.
(b) Auxilaries need less time and opportunity to move against the ruler that employed them.
(c) Mercenaries can all speak the language of the princedom.
(d) Auxiliary forces are not considered deserters if they run from war.
2. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
(b) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
(c) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(d) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
3. Those who were viewed with suspicion at the beginning of a princedom usually become the most loyal subjects. Why?
(a) They work hard to gain the approval of the prince.
(b) The prince was a poor judge of character in the beginning.
(c) They never did anything to cause distrust in the first place.
(d) The prince will use them for unpopular tasks.
4. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
(b) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(c) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
(d) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
5. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
(a) Having arms is a basic human right.
(b) It shows that he either distrusts the people or fears them.
(c) It gives the people added duties and importance.
(d) Disarmed people cannot protect their prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
2. What combination of circumstances does Machiavelli identify in men like Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
3. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
4. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
5. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)