|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
(a) A palace in the center of the city.
(b) A palace surrounded by a wide moat.
(c) Favorable public opinion.
(d) Military barracks surrounding his palace.
2. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
(a) Mercenaries can all speak the language of the princedom.
(b) Auxiliary forces are not considered deserters if they run from war.
(c) Auxiliary forces may be recalled if their home dominion is attacked.
(d) Auxilaries need less time and opportunity to move against the ruler that employed them.
3. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
(a) He refused to pay them.
(b) He put them on the front lines to be killed.
(c) He hired more mercenaries.
(d) He had them cut to pieces.
4. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
(a) Darius, King of Persia.
(b) Phillip, father of Alexander the Great.
(c) The last days of the Roman Empire.
(d) Sparticus and the Roman slaves.
5. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(a) It is impossible.
(d) With great difficulty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
2. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
3. What combination of circumstances does Machiavelli identify in men like Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
4. Why should a prince keep down factions in his princedom?
5. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)