|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
(a) Favorable public opinion.
(b) A palace surrounded by a wide moat.
(c) A palace in the center of the city.
(d) Military barracks surrounding his palace.
2. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
(a) He refused to pay them.
(b) He hired more mercenaries.
(c) He put them on the front lines to be killed.
(d) He had them cut to pieces.
3. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
(a) He is citing his own experience as a new prince.
(b) He will talk only about princes he has known personally.
(c) He is the only man who knows the facts he is about to reveal.
(d) He is giving the highest examples from history.
4. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
(a) It gives the people added duties and importance.
(b) It shows that he either distrusts the people or fears them.
(c) Having arms is a basic human right.
(d) Disarmed people cannot protect their prince.
5. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
(a) Women mercenaries who fight along side of men.
(b) Extra manpower that may be called to active duty during a war.
(c) The best insurance a prince has for his safety.
(d) Those borrowed from other principalities to wage war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
2. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
3. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
4. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
5. Why should a prince keep down factions in his princedom?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)