|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
(b) Easily maintained.
2. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
(b) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(c) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
(d) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
3. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
(a) That he will always be ready to defend the people.
(b) That he trusts his military advisors.
(c) That he fears the people.
(d) That he is more important than the people.
4. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
(a) Moses never actually established himself as a leader.
(b) There is no histroy of Moses outside of the Jewish holy writings.
(c) Instead of ruling the Egyptians after defeating them, he left.
(d) There was something in Moses, some ability that made him worthy to speak with God.
5. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
(b) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
(c) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
(d) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
2. Why should a prince keep down factions in his princedom?
3. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
4. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)