|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(b) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
(c) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
(d) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
2. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
(a) Egypt and Syria.
(b) David and Goliath.
(c) Samson and Delilah.
(d) Caleb and Joshua.
3. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
(a) Having arms is a basic human right.
(b) It gives the people added duties and importance.
(c) It shows that he either distrusts the people or fears them.
(d) Disarmed people cannot protect their prince.
4. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
(a) Extra manpower that may be called to active duty during a war.
(b) The best insurance a prince has for his safety.
(c) Those borrowed from other principalities to wage war.
(d) Women mercenaries who fight along side of men.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
(a) Favorable public opinion.
(b) A palace in the center of the city.
(c) A palace surrounded by a wide moat.
(d) Military barracks surrounding his palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
2. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
3. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
4. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
5. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)