|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
(b) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
(c) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
(d) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
2. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
(a) Easily maintained.
3. Those who were viewed with suspicion at the beginning of a princedom usually become the most loyal subjects. Why?
(a) They work hard to gain the approval of the prince.
(b) They never did anything to cause distrust in the first place.
(c) The prince will use them for unpopular tasks.
(d) The prince was a poor judge of character in the beginning.
4. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(b) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
(c) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
(d) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
5. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
(a) The best insurance a prince has for his safety.
(b) Those borrowed from other principalities to wage war.
(c) Extra manpower that may be called to active duty during a war.
(d) Women mercenaries who fight along side of men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What combination of circumstances does Machiavelli identify in men like Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
2. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
3. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
4. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
5. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)