|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
(a) That he trusts his military advisors.
(b) That he will always be ready to defend the people.
(c) That he is more important than the people.
(d) That he fears the people.
2. What combination of circumstances does Machiavelli identify in men like Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) Time and location.
(b) Pride and ability.
(c) Strength and fortitude.
(d) Opportunity and merit.
3. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
(a) He will talk only about princes he has known personally.
(b) He is citing his own experience as a new prince.
(c) He is the only man who knows the facts he is about to reveal.
(d) He is giving the highest examples from history.
4. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
(b) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(c) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
(d) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
5. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
(b) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
(c) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
(d) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
2. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
3. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
4. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
5. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)