|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why should a new prince not disarm his people?
(a) Having arms is a basic human right.
(b) Disarmed people cannot protect their prince.
(c) It gives the people added duties and importance.
(d) It shows that he either distrusts the people or fears them.
2. Those who were viewed with suspicion at the beginning of a princedom usually become the most loyal subjects. Why?
(a) The prince will use them for unpopular tasks.
(b) They work hard to gain the approval of the prince.
(c) The prince was a poor judge of character in the beginning.
(d) They never did anything to cause distrust in the first place.
3. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
(b) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
(c) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
(d) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
4. How does Machiavelli define auxiliary forces?
(a) Extra manpower that may be called to active duty during a war.
(b) Those borrowed from other principalities to wage war.
(c) Women mercenaries who fight along side of men.
(d) The best insurance a prince has for his safety.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best fortress for a prince?
(a) A palace surrounded by a wide moat.
(b) Military barracks surrounding his palace.
(c) Favorable public opinion.
(d) A palace in the center of the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
2. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
3. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
4. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
5. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)