|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
(d) Easily maintained.
2. How does Machiavelli classify auxiliary troops?
(a) As cheaper than hiring independent mercenaries.
(b) As extremely reliable during a crisis.
(c) As the best possible choice for a prince to make.
(d) As the worst possible choice for a prince to make.
3. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(b) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
(c) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
(d) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
4. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(b) It is impossible.
(d) With great difficulty.
5. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
(a) That he fears the people.
(b) That he will always be ready to defend the people.
(c) That he is more important than the people.
(d) That he trusts his military advisors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What combination of circumstances does Machiavelli identify in men like Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
2. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
3. Why should a prince keep down factions in his princedom?
4. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
5. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)