* Machiavelli lost his post at the chancellery of Florence when the Medici family returned to power.
* He presents his book, THE PRINCE, to Lorenzo de Medici in the hope of securing a place in the new government.
* Machiavelli plays up his knowledge of history and his lifetime of government service as his credentials for writing the book.
* Machiavelli mentions that there are two types of government in his time--the dominion and the republic.
* New dominions, he says, can be broken down into two other types depending upon whether the people have been accustomed to being ruled by a prince.
* Machiavelli will only deal with dominions, since he has written extensively on republics before.
* He mentions that hereditary dominions are easiest to keep because the people are familiar with the government.
* All the prince needs to do is continue the same forms his family has used...
This section contains 1,806 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)