|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator nickname the owner of the local candy store at the Sunday rituals?
2. What name had the narrator picked for himself out of the Essex County phone book?
3. What does the narrator say he hasn't heard from the Monkey for 3 days on their ride back?
4. What does the Monkey threaten to do if the narrator won't marry her?
5. How old is the girl whom the main character has his first sexual experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alex say he sometimes fantasizes about in Chapter 6?
2. What is the title of Chapter 5? What does this refer to?
3. Who is Bubbles? What was she to Alex?
4. Who does Alex describe as the first of the shikses he had a relationship with? What attracted him to her?
5. Why did Alex and Kay almost marry? What caused him to end the relationship?
6. What does Alex say about the photo of Jesus in Bubbles's house?
7. How does Alex describe the "Sunday morning ritual" in his neighborhood?
8. How did Alex feel about having "a real" relationship with the Monkey?
9. What does the memories of the Monkey conjure in Alex's memory in Chapter 4?
10. What does the narrator recall which might be "the root of his problems" in Chapter 4 regarding his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Guilt/Shame in the novel. How does this relate to the narrator's feelings of rebellion? Where does this emotion resonate the most in the narrator? How does this affect his actions in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different types of conflict in Portnoy's Complaint. What is the predominant conflict of the novel? What are some of the conflicts the narrator describes between himself and others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of bigotry and racism in Portnoy's Complaint. Which characters embody racist traits? How does the narrator relate these? How does this affect the narrator's career choice?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)