|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did the narrator invite back to his hotel while on the trip in Chapter 6?
2. What had the Monkey once been?
3. How much money did the narrator pay to the prostitute in Italy?
4. Where was Kay from?
5. Who wrote the essay, "The Most Prevalent Form of Degradation in Erotic Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Alex tell of the Monkey with the married couple?
2. What does Alex say about the photo of Jesus in Bubbles's house?
3. What does the narrator recall which might be "the root of his problems" in Chapter 4 regarding his mother?
4. What attracts Alex to Naomi? How does he express his feelings for her?
5. What does the memories of the Monkey conjure in Alex's memory in Chapter 4?
6. What does the Monkey fantasize about while returning from their trip? How does Alex ruin this mood?
7. What happened on the trip with the Monkey that began to change their relationship?
8. Why did Alex and Kay almost marry? What caused him to end the relationship?
9. What does Alex remark about Israel?
10. How does Alex describe the "Sunday morning ritual" in his neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the narrator's experiences of sexuality in America to those of his experiences in Israel. What significance is implied by these differences?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the story of The Monkey. How does the timeline of actual events differ with the narrative of the protagonist? What does this inform us of Alex's character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of religion in Portnoy's Complaint. How does the narrator express his issues with Judaism? What are his feelings toward Christianity? How does religion tie into the other themes in the novel?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)