|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he hasn't heard from the Monkey for 3 days on their ride back?
2. How much money did the narrator pay to the prostitute in Italy?
3. Where was Kay from?
4. What did the narrator take as a souvenir from Tsin?
5. What does the Monkey say that she hates on their drive back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Monkey fantasize about while returning from their trip? How does Alex ruin this mood?
2. What happened on the trip with the Monkey that began to change their relationship?
3. What does the memories of the Monkey conjure in Alex's memory in Chapter 4?
4. What attracts Alex to Naomi? How does he express his feelings for her?
5. What happened with Mandel and Bubbles? What does this prompt the narrator to need to know?
6. Who is the second shikse Alex speaks about being involved with in Chapter 5? How is she described?
7. What, according to the narrator, are the worst sins he has committed in Chapter 4?
8. Who does Alex describe as the first of the shikses he had a relationship with? What attracted him to her?
9. Where does Alex speak of taking a trip with the Monkey in Chapter 5? What did the voices of his parents say in his head as he drove?
10. What does Alex suggest that the Monkey says are his worst sins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different types of conflict in Portnoy's Complaint. What is the predominant conflict of the novel? What are some of the conflicts the narrator describes between himself and others?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character of Naomi with that of the narrator's mother. How are these two women similar? How are they different? How does the narrator feel about this connection?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Roth's use of foreshadowing in Portnoy's Complaint. How does the atypical structure of the plot create a window for foreshadowing? Define this term and give examples of foreshadowing in the text.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)