|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator live with his family in his childhood?
(d) New York.
2. What is the narrator's sister's married name?
3. What is the name of the Company President whose picture hangs in the protagonist's family's hallway?
(a) Kenneth R. Moriarty.
(b) William S. Woodbury.
(c) Jackson Williams.
(d) N. Everett Lindabury.
4. How many goyim were in the narrator's graduating class of 250?
5. Where did the narrator eat a seafood dinner with his sister and her fiance in Chapter 4?
(a) Brooklyn Heights.
(b) Jersey City.
(c) Park Slope.
(d) Sheepshead Bay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 4?
2. What is the narrator's mother's name?
3. What does the narrator say was a "mixup" in his house?
4. What is the name of the narrator's sister?
5. What does the narrator keep hidden in the basement for the purpose of pleasuring himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the second shikse Alex speaks about being involved with in Chapter 5? How is she described?
2. What story does Alex tell of the Monkey with the married couple?
3. What resentments does the narrator recall following the family's move from Jersey City?
4. What is the "deeper meaning" of this final line of the novel?
5. What does the narrator recall which might be "the root of his problems" in Chapter 4 regarding his mother?
6. What were the narrator's father's ambitions for him growing up?
7. What is the one meaningful conversation the narrator speaks of having with his sister in Chapter 3?
8. How does the narrator describe his sister in their early years?
9. What do Alex and his parents argue about after their dinner in Chapter 4?
10. What does the narrator speak of regarding his humiliations with his mother as a child in Chapter 3?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)