|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say he's the son in?
(a) A Polish joke.
(b) A hell.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) A Jewish joke.
2. What is the term used for a non-Jewish girl?
3. What is the narrator's favorite winter meal?
(a) Lamb stew.
(b) Beef stew.
4. What does the narrator say doesn't grow on trees in Chapter 4?
5. What is the name of the cleaning woman who works for the narrator's family?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not kosher after eating meat?
2. The narrator claims in Chapter 4 that he brings his parents nothing but what?
3. What does the narrator's father hold the wrong way?
4. What does the narrator's father say one must prepare for?
5. How old is the narrator when his testicles recede?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Alex feel about having "a real" relationship with the Monkey?
2. What is the irony of the last chapter?
3. What does the memories of the Monkey conjure in Alex's memory in Chapter 4?
4. What is the "deeper meaning" of this final line of the novel?
5. What happened with Mandel and Bubbles? What does this prompt the narrator to need to know?
6. When do the narrator's doubts about the Monkey reach a climax?
7. What does the narrator's mother do to him when he is "bad?" How does he react?
8. Who is the second shikse Alex speaks about being involved with in Chapter 5? How is she described?
9. Why did Alex and Kay almost marry? What caused him to end the relationship?
10. What body-related incidents does the narrator recall in Chapter 3?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)