|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator keep hidden in the basement for the purpose of pleasuring himself?
(a) A milk bottle.
(b) A baseball glove.
(c) A jacket.
(d) An apple.
2. How does the narrator's mother say that Melvin Weiner gave himself colitis?
(a) Eating hamburgers.
(b) Eating chazerai.
(c) Eating pickles.
(d) Eating potato chips.
3. What is the psychiatrist's name to whom the narrator speaks?
(a) Dr. Woolverton.
(b) Dr. Spielvogel.
(c) Dr. Freud.
(d) Dr. Claxton.
4. What does the narrator's mother do when he does something wrong?
(a) Refuses to feed him.
(b) Sends him to his father.
(c) Locks him out of the apartment.
(d) Spanks him.
5. What do the neighborhood women play with the narrator's mother?
(a) Trivial Pursuit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator's sister?
2. What non-kosher food does the narrator have for dinner while out with his sister?
3. What does the narrator's mother give the cleaning lady for lunch?
4. What was the narrator's mother called in high school?
5. What kind of grades does the young narrator make?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the shikse who came to the young Alex's family's home? Why?
2. Who does the main character think all of his teachers are in disguise? Why?
3. What does the narrator's mother do to him when he is "bad?" How does he react?
4. Where does the narrator's father work? What line of business is he in? Where is his "route?"
5. What resentments does the narrator recall following the family's move from Jersey City?
6. How does the narrator describe his sister in their early years?
7. What became of the narrator's cousin? Why?
8. What does the narrator's father urge him to take lessons in? Why?
9. What frustration does the narrator express in Chapter 4 about his job and his parents' view of it?
10. About what do the narrator's parents coddle him regarding his knee in Chapter 4?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)