|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the narrator's uncle's store?
(b) Jersey City.
(c) The Bronx.
2. What did the narrator eat that was his sister's?
3. What does the narrator's father sell?
(c) Vacuum cleaners.
4. What does the narrator's father say one must prepare for?
(a) The judgment day.
(c) A rainy day.
(d) The fall.
5. What is the title of Chapter 2?
(a) Days with Mother.
(b) Whacking Off.
(d) The Teenage Years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say is "very funny on the stage--but not to live it"?
2. Who is the woman whom the narrator has a longer affair with than most?
3. Why does the narrator's father say his cousin Toby will never want for popularity?
4. What kind of grades does the young narrator make?
5. Where does the narrator's mother accuse him of going to eat in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frustration does the narrator express in Chapter 4 about his job and his parents' view of it?
2. What, according to the narrator, are the worst sins he has committed in Chapter 4?
3. What does the historical context of this novel indicate regarding its subject matter and language?
4. Where does Alex speak of taking a trip with the Monkey in Chapter 5? What did the voices of his parents say in his head as he drove?
5. What does the narrator retell about the burlesque show in Chapter 4?
6. What resentments does the narrator recall following the family's move from Jersey City?
7. What is the irony of the last chapter?
8. What is the one meaningful conversation the narrator speaks of having with his sister in Chapter 3?
9. What are the protagonist's principle memories of his father from early childhood?
10. What does the narrator recall which might be "the root of his problems" in Chapter 4 regarding his mother?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)