|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say that with sex the human imagination runs to?
(b) The nth level.
2. What do the neighborhood women play with the narrator's mother?
(b) Trivial Pursuit.
3. In Chapter 4, where did the narrator break up with his previous girlfriend?
(a) The Netherlands.
4. How old is the narrator in the present in Chapter 4, part 2?
5. What is the narrator's favorite winter meal?
(b) Lamb stew.
(c) Beef stew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say doesn't grow on trees in Chapter 4?
2. The narrator refers, in Chapter 4, to his father being "a real Jewish" what?
3. How old is the narrator's previous girlfriend when they broke up?
4. What does the narrator eat which makes his mother weep in Chapter 2?
5. How does the narrator accidentally refer to the analyst as in Chapter 4, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator suspect about the shikse who came to his family's house? Why?
2. What is the story the narrator tells in the beginning of Chapter 4? Why does he do what he does in this story?
3. What is Chapter 2 primarily about?
4. What story does Alex tell about his mother and lobster?
5. Where does the narrator's father work? What line of business is he in? Where is his "route?"
6. What are the protagonist's principle memories of his father from early childhood?
7. Why does the young Alex believe he has cancer?
8. How did the narrator's father feel about his job? How did he express his feelings to his family?
9. What does Alex say his parents complain about regarding his sister and her husband in Chapter 4?
10. What do Alex and his parents argue about after their dinner in Chapter 4?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)