|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the narrator's father take him once a month when he was young?
(a) Coney Island.
(b) The butcher.
(c) The shvitz bath.
(d) The grocery store.
2. Who is the narrator sitting next to on the bus in Chapter 4?
(a) An Italian immigrant.
(b) An old lady.
(c) A Polish police officer.
(d) A shikse.
3. What does the narrator's father accuse his son-in-law of being?
(a) A Democrat.
(b) A Socialist.
(c) A Republican.
(d) A Communist.
4. What do the narrator's parents complain about when they come visit him at his apartment?
(a) His rug.
(b) His couch.
(c) His job.
(d) His hair.
5. What does the narrator's mother tell him to give to his father in Chapter 4?
(a) A card.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A loan.
(d) A tie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator's father's coworker who bamboozled his mother into eating lobster?
2. What does the narrator say was a "mixup" in his house?
3. What was in the letter that Ronald Nimkin left as his final words to his mother?
4. What does the narrator resent being sent to buy at the store for his mother?
5. What is the name of the company for whom the narrator's father works?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does the narrator tell about Ronald Nimkin?
2. What does the narrator's father urge him to take lessons in? Why?
3. What story does Alex tell about his mother and lobster?
4. What does Alex remark about his father's bowel movements in Chapter 4?
5. What resentments does the narrator recall following the family's move from Jersey City?
6. What does the narrator's mother believe he has been eating in Chapter 2? How does she react?
7. How does the narrator describe his sister in their early years?
8. How does the narrator feel about the laws of Judaism?
9. Who does the main character think all of his teachers are in disguise? Why?
10. Where does the narrator's father work? What line of business is he in? Where is his "route?"
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)