|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator's mother's name?
2. Where does the narrator's mother accuse him of going to eat in Chapter 2?
(b) Harold's Hot Dog.
(c) Katz's Deli.
(d) Henry's Burgers.
3. Who is the shikse who comes to dinner with the narrator's father?
(a) Mary McCaffery.
(b) Mary Ann Wilkes.
(c) Anne McCaffery.
(d) Elizabeth Joyner.
4. What does the narrator's father say one must prepare for?
(a) A rainy day.
(c) The judgment day.
(d) The fall.
5. What does the narrator say is "very funny on the stage--but not to live it"?
(a) The macabre.
(b) The parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, where did the narrator break up with his previous girlfriend?
2. What kind of grades does the young narrator make?
3. What sport is the narrator obsessed with?
4. Who tells the narrator, "They worship a Jew, do you know that?"
5. What is the name of the cleaning woman who works for the narrator's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alex remark about his father's bowel movements in Chapter 4?
2. What are the protagonist's principle memories of his father from early childhood?
3. What resentments does the narrator recall following the family's move from Jersey City?
4. What is the final chapter's title? What is essentially its one line?
5. Where did Alex go on a trip with Kay? What does Alex say about his experience with Kay's family?
6. What do Alex and his parents argue about after their dinner in Chapter 4?
7. How does the narrator feel about the laws of Judaism?
8. What does the narrator say he grew up to NOT be, at least, in Chapter 4? Why?
9. What is the story the narrator tells in the beginning of Chapter 4? Why does he do what he does in this story?
10. Who is the shikse who came to the young Alex's family's home? Why?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)