|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was in the letter that Ronald Nimkin left as his final words to his mother?
(a) To bring the mah-jongg rules to the game tonight.
(b) That he was gay.
(c) That it was her fault he killed himself.
(d) That he hated her.
2. Who does the narrator now work for in Chapter 4, Part 2?
(a) The DA's office.
(b) The New York Bar Association.
(c) The Mayor.
(d) The Police Commissioner.
3. What does the narrator's father sell?
(b) Vacuum cleaners.
4. What does the narrator say his desires are in Chapter 4?
5. What does the narrator's mother tell him to give to his father in Chapter 4?
(a) A kiss.
(b) A tie.
(c) A loan.
(d) A card.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say was a "mixup" in his house?
2. Where did the narrator's father take him once a month when he was young?
3. What is the narrator's mother's name?
4. What is the title of Chapter 2?
5. What kind of grades does the young narrator make?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator's father urge him to take lessons in? Why?
2. What is the one meaningful conversation the narrator speaks of having with his sister in Chapter 3?
3. How does the narrator describe his sister in their early years?
4. How does the narrator feel about the laws of Judaism?
5. Why does the young Alex believe he has cancer?
6. Who does the narrator's father hold up as someone to emulate? Why?
7. What does Alex remark about his father's bowel movements in Chapter 4?
8. What body-related incidents does the narrator recall in Chapter 3?
9. What does the narrator's mother do to him when he is "bad?" How does he react?
10. What resentments does the narrator recall following the family's move from Jersey City?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)