|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's father say one must prepare for?
(a) A rainy day.
(b) The judgment day.
(d) The fall.
2. Where does the narrator live with his family in his childhood?
(c) New York.
3. What is the name of the cleaning woman who works for the narrator's family?
4. What is the narrator's name?
(a) Andrew Portnoy.
(b) Alexander Portnoy.
(c) Augustine Portnoy.
(d) Jack Portnoy.
5. What is the term the narrator uses to mean "spank?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator's father's coworker who bamboozled his mother into eating lobster?
2. What is the name of the narrator's oldest brother?
3. Why does the narrator's father say his cousin Toby will never want for popularity?
4. What does the narrator's mother tell him to give to his father in Chapter 4?
5. What was the narrator's mother called in high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the main character think all of his teachers are in disguise? Why?
2. What do Alex and his parents argue about after their dinner in Chapter 4?
3. Who does the narrator's father hold up as someone to emulate? Why?
4. What does the narrator's mother do to him when he is "bad?" How does he react?
5. Who is the shikse who came to the young Alex's family's home? Why?
6. What story does Alex tell about his mother and lobster?
7. What resentments does the narrator recall following the family's move from Jersey City?
8. What frustration does the narrator express in Chapter 4 about his job and his parents' view of it?
9. What does Alex remark about his father's bowel movements in Chapter 4?
10. What does the narrator say he grew up to NOT be, at least, in Chapter 4? Why?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)