|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could the object King's uncle inherits be described?
2. What equipment does a writer need according to King?
3. On certain occasions, King believes that grammar rules _________ .
4. King claims he works on all of the following days except one. Which day does King not work?
5. What is unusual about the character Annie Wilkes?
Short Essay Questions
1. King believes in writers bringing their 'toolbox' with them when writing. Why is he so impassioned with the concept of a toolbox?
2. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
3. In the chapter, On Writing, King explains that description should be the smallest amount possible. How would you evaluate King's beliefs on writing description?
4. Why does King believe that adverbs, especially those ending in -ly are unnecessary?
5. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
6. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
7. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
8. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
9. Explain the significance of King's statement that a good writer can become an excellent writer, but a bad writer will always be a bad writer according to King in On Writing.
10. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think a writer can learn to 'see' and write about what he sees from images such as the one King presented of a rabbit in a cage on a table? How can writing exercises like this one lead to better writing? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
King has been called a hack. He defends himself by saying that throughout history, other who were called hacks, are now considered important writers. How would you evaluate King's body of work, especially the book, On Writing?
Essay Topic 3
King mentions many elements as being important to good writing: limiting the use of adverbs, writing in the active voice instead of the passive voice, the use of speaker attributes other than said, and paragraph length. How would you prioritize these elements and why?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)