|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter, Toolbox, what advice does King give the reader?
2. How could the object King's uncle inherits be described?
3. What kind of material should a writer read in order to learn the most from his reading?
4. According to King, what three things are the bases of all stories?
5. Another belief of King is that writers have a special need. What is this need?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the single most important factor in King's early success in his writing career? Back up your statements with illustrations from the book, On Writing.
Essay Topic 2
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
Essay Topic 3
King is a prolific writer yet he mentions writer's block in several places in the book, On Writing. Do you think this has been a hindrance in King's writing? What judgment would you make about King's frustration with writer's block? Explain your answer.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)