|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King feel he will accomplish with his technique regarding description?
2. How does King feel about writers improving their work?
3. According to King, what three things are the bases of all stories?
4. What does King's uncle inherit?
5. What does King believe about writers who are too busy to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
2. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
3. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
4. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that a writer should 'write what he knows'. What ideas justify this statement?
5. In the chapter, On Writing, King says some critics of his work claim that he is a hack. What is a hack and what evidence can you find to support the statement that King is a hack?
6. What is King trying to tell the aspiring writer about finding his voice?
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King says characters should be multi-dimensional. What motive is there for trying to give all characters evil, as well as good, characteristics?
8. Explain the significance of King's statement that a good writer can become an excellent writer, but a bad writer will always be a bad writer according to King in On Writing.
9. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
10. Why does King believe that adverbs, especially those ending in -ly are unnecessary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
Essay Topic 2
What factors led to the publication of Carrie? Why do you think the novel was a success? Use ideas from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
King has been called a hack. He defends himself by saying that throughout history, other who were called hacks, are now considered important writers. How would you evaluate King's body of work, especially the book, On Writing?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)