|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does King hold himself to the minimum number of words per day?
2. What does King say about adverbs?
3. What kind of material should a writer read in order to learn the most from his reading?
4. King's comparison of a handyman's toolbox with a writer's tool box is which figure of speech?
5. King claims he works on all of the following days except one. Which day does King not work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does King believe that adverbs, especially those ending in -ly are unnecessary?
2. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
3. What evidence can you find to support King's claim that plot is less necessary than many would have the writer believe?
4. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
5. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
6. Both with vocabulary and 'above all else' King emphasizes honesty. Explain 'honesty' according to King and in your own words.
7. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
8. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
9. In the chapter, On Writing, King says some critics of his work claim that he is a hack. What is a hack and what evidence can you find to support the statement that King is a hack?
10. In the chapter, On Writing, King states every writer should have an agent. Why does he believe this to be important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King believes that certain preparations are unnecessary and even harmful to aspiring writers. He mentions creative writing courses and writers' retreats. What does he have to say about these two options for writers? Explain using your own words.
Essay Topic 2
What changes was King forced to make in his writing life after his accident? Did this affect the amount or quality of his work? How did it affect his feelings about his work? Explain your answer based on the book, On Writing.
Essay Topic 3
King has been called a hack. He defends himself by saying that throughout history, other who were called hacks, are now considered important writers. How would you evaluate King's body of work, especially the book, On Writing?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)