|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, what is the best technique to use with description?
2. What does King consider to be a writer's practice?
3. According to King, what characteristic should a writer's space have?
4. What does King's uncle take with him when he works?
5. Why is it important to King that a writer not be distracted while working?
Short Essay Questions
1. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
2. What are some of the most important aspects of grammar that an aspiring writer should observe according to King?
3. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
4. In the chapter, On Writing, King discusses symbolism and theme as elements best ignored in first drafts. What is the relationship between symbolism and theme in King's work?
5. Explain the significance of King's statement that a good writer can become an excellent writer, but a bad writer will always be a bad writer according to King in On Writing.
6. What is the second most important tool according to King?
7. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
8. How would some of King's other beliefs about writing increase a reader's pleasure? Explain in your own words.
9. What is King trying to tell the aspiring writer about finding his voice?
10. King believes in writers bringing their 'toolbox' with them when writing. Why is he so impassioned with the concept of a toolbox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King believes a writer should write a lot to be successful. Throughout his life, King has always written. Cite specific examples from King's life that demonstrate his dedication to his theory of good writing.
Essay Topic 2
King believes that certain preparations are unnecessary and even harmful to aspiring writers. He mentions creative writing courses and writers' retreats. What does he have to say about these two options for writers? Explain using your own words.
Essay Topic 3
King is a prolific writer yet he mentions writer's block in several places in the book, On Writing. Do you think this has been a hindrance in King's writing? What judgment would you make about King's frustration with writer's block? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)