|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. King gives the example of John Grisham as a writer. What does he say about Grisham?
2. What does King help his uncle fix as a child?
3. What is a common characteristic of adverbs?
4. What book does King recommend for grammar study?
5. Why does King emphasize the importance of reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, On Writing, King says characters should be multi-dimensional. What motive is there for trying to give all characters evil, as well as good, characteristics?
2. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
3. In the chapter, On Writing, King discusses symbolism and theme as elements best ignored in first drafts. What is the relationship between symbolism and theme in King's work?
4. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
5. Why do you think King stresses the importance of writing a lot in On Writing?
6. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King states every writer should have an agent. Why does he believe this to be important?
8. What is the second most important tool according to King?
9. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
10. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King claims that in order to be a good writer, you must read. Why does King believe reading to be important to a writer? What does he say about writers who don't read? Cite reasons from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think a writer can learn to 'see' and write about what he sees from images such as the one King presented of a rabbit in a cage on a table? How can writing exercises like this one lead to better writing? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
King claims all writers need a 'toolbox'. Why is a toolbox important for a writer? What should the toolbox contain? How can a writer improve his toolbox according to King? Use specific answers from the book to explain your answer.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)