|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does King emphasize the importance of reading?
2. According to King, what is the best technique to use with description?
3. What does King consider to be the best tool in making a writer?
4. What does King believe about writers who are too busy to read?
5. What lesson does the experience with his uncle teach King?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
2. In the chapter, On Writing, King says characters should be multi-dimensional. What motive is there for trying to give all characters evil, as well as good, characteristics?
3. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
4. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
5. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that a writer should 'write what he knows'. What ideas justify this statement?
6. King believes in writers bringing their 'toolbox' with them when writing. Why is he so impassioned with the concept of a toolbox?
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
8. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
9. What evidence can you find to support King's claim that plot is less necessary than many would have the writer believe?
10. Both with vocabulary and 'above all else' King emphasizes honesty. Explain 'honesty' according to King and in your own words.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When King says there are some elements of writing that are highly unexplainable, what is he trying to say? King also claims writing is magic. What evidence can you find in the book, On Writing, that writing is magic? Defend your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What changes was King forced to make in his writing life after his accident? Did this affect the amount or quality of his work? How did it affect his feelings about his work? Explain your answer based on the book, On Writing.
Essay Topic 3
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)