|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many words a day does King try to produce?
2. If used correctly, King believes that dialogue could be what object for a writer?
3. What is King's most important injunction to writers?
4. What is unusual about the character Annie Wilkes?
5. On certain occasions, King believes that grammar rules _________ .
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the most important aspects of grammar that an aspiring writer should observe according to King?
2. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
3. Why do you think King stresses the importance of writing a lot in On Writing?
4. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
5. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
6. In the chapter, On Writing, King explains that description should be the smallest amount possible. How would you evaluate King's beliefs on writing description?
7. King believes in writers bringing their 'toolbox' with them when writing. Why is he so impassioned with the concept of a toolbox?
8. In the chapter, On Writing, King discusses symbolism and theme as elements best ignored in first drafts. What is the relationship between symbolism and theme in King's work?
9. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
10. In the chapter, On Writing, King says some critics of his work claim that he is a hack. What is a hack and what evidence can you find to support the statement that King is a hack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What changes was King forced to make in his writing life after his accident? Did this affect the amount or quality of his work? How did it affect his feelings about his work? Explain your answer based on the book, On Writing.
Essay Topic 2
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)