|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What equipment does a writer need according to King?
2. How does King paint the main character from The Dead Zone?
3. What is unusual about the character Annie Wilkes?
4. What is King's first piece of advice to those reading the chapter, On Writing?
5. According to King, which element of a novel is less important than aspiring writers might believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
2. In the chapter, On Writing, King states every writer should have an agent. Why does he believe this to be important?
3. King believes in writers bringing their 'toolbox' with them when writing. Why is he so impassioned with the concept of a toolbox?
4. What is the second most important tool according to King?
5. What evidence can you find to support King's claim that plot is less necessary than many would have the writer believe?
6. What is King trying to tell the aspiring writer about finding his voice?
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King says characters should be multi-dimensional. What motive is there for trying to give all characters evil, as well as good, characteristics?
8. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
9. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
10. Both with vocabulary and 'above all else' King emphasizes honesty. Explain 'honesty' according to King and in your own words.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the book, On Writing, what is the most important item in the writer's toolbox? Why is this important? Support your argument with ideas from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think a writer can learn to 'see' and write about what he sees from images such as the one King presented of a rabbit in a cage on a table? How can writing exercises like this one lead to better writing? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)