|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King feel he will accomplish with his technique regarding description?
2. There is another element in the making of a good writer according to King's statements. What is it?
3. How does King paint the main character from The Dead Zone?
4. What does King believe about writers who are too busy to read?
5. What activity might cause King to work on days he normally doesn't work?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
2. In the chapter, On Writing, King explains that description should be the smallest amount possible. How would you evaluate King's beliefs on writing description?
3. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
4. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that a writer should 'write what he knows'. What ideas justify this statement?
5. In the chapter, On Writing, King says characters should be multi-dimensional. What motive is there for trying to give all characters evil, as well as good, characteristics?
6. Why do you think King stresses the importance of writing a lot in On Writing?
7. Explain the significance of King's statement that a good writer can become an excellent writer, but a bad writer will always be a bad writer according to King in On Writing.
8. Why does King believe that adverbs, especially those ending in -ly are unnecessary?
9. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
10. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King claims that in order to be a good writer, you must read. Why does King believe reading to be important to a writer? What does he say about writers who don't read? Cite reasons from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
What conclusions can you draw from King's statements about a writer having his own space in which to work? What alternatives are there for those people who want to write but find it impossible to obtain a space in their living quarters?
Essay Topic 3
King mentions many elements as being important to good writing: limiting the use of adverbs, writing in the active voice instead of the passive voice, the use of speaker attributes other than said, and paragraph length. How would you prioritize these elements and why?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)