|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. King also suggests limiting speaker attributes. What are speaker attributes?
2. According to King, which element of a novel is less important than aspiring writers might believe?
3. How does King suggest writers improve their vocabulary?
4. If used correctly, King believes that dialogue could be what object for a writer?
5. Why does King emphasize the importance of reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of King's statement that a good writer can become an excellent writer, but a bad writer will always be a bad writer according to King in On Writing.
2. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
3. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
4. In the chapter, On Writing, King discusses symbolism and theme as elements best ignored in first drafts. What is the relationship between symbolism and theme in King's work?
5. How would some of King's other beliefs about writing increase a reader's pleasure? Explain in your own words.
6. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
7. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
8. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
9. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
10. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the book, On Writing, what is the most important item in the writer's toolbox? Why is this important? Support your argument with ideas from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
Essay Topic 3
King has been called a hack. He defends himself by saying that throughout history, other who were called hacks, are now considered important writers. How would you evaluate King's body of work, especially the book, On Writing?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)