|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does King feel that a writer should blindly follow all the rules in the book he recommends?
2. There is another element in the making of a good writer according to King's statements. What is it?
3. In the chapter, Toolbox, what advice does King give the reader?
4. What does King's uncle inherit?
5. According to King, what three things are the bases of all stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
2. King believes in writers bringing their 'toolbox' with them when writing. Why is he so impassioned with the concept of a toolbox?
3. How would some of King's other beliefs about writing increase a reader's pleasure? Explain in your own words.
4. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
5. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
6. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
7. Explain the significance of King's statement that a good writer can become an excellent writer, but a bad writer will always be a bad writer according to King in On Writing.
8. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
9. What is King trying to tell the aspiring writer about finding his voice?
10. What evidence can you find to support King's claim that plot is less necessary than many would have the writer believe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When King says there are some elements of writing that are highly unexplainable, what is he trying to say? King also claims writing is magic. What evidence can you find in the book, On Writing, that writing is magic? Defend your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
King states that good writers can improve, but bad writers will never be good writers.How can good writers improve? Why won't bad writers improve? Cite reasons from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
King is a prolific writer yet he mentions writer's block in several places in the book, On Writing. Do you think this has been a hindrance in King's writing? What judgment would you make about King's frustration with writer's block? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)