|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King feel about figures of speech?
2. What does King's uncle use from the toolbox?
3. What kind of material should a writer read in order to learn the most from his reading?
4. According to King, what should dialogue represent?
5. Which genre does King feel Misery will belong to when he begins to write the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King believed that characters must be multi-dimensional rather than cardboard figures. Has King been successful in creating multi-dimensional characters? Citing examples from the book, On Writing, how would you evaluate the characters in King's different novels?
Essay Topic 2
King claims all writers need a 'toolbox'. Why is a toolbox important for a writer? What should the toolbox contain? How can a writer improve his toolbox according to King? Use specific answers from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What changes was King forced to make in his writing life after his accident? Did this affect the amount or quality of his work? How did it affect his feelings about his work? Explain your answer based on the book, On Writing.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)