|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another belief of King is that writers have a special need. What is this need?
2. What kind of material should a writer read in order to learn the most from his reading?
3. When does King hold himself to the minimum number of words per day?
4. In addition to his injunction, King wants writers to leave something behind when they write. What should writers leave behind?
5. What is King's first piece of advice to those reading the chapter, On Writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
2. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
3. What are some of the most important aspects of grammar that an aspiring writer should observe according to King?
4. What is the second most important tool according to King?
5. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
6. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
8. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
9. In the chapter, On Writing, King says characters should be multi-dimensional. What motive is there for trying to give all characters evil, as well as good, characteristics?
10. King believes in writers bringing their 'toolbox' with them when writing. Why is he so impassioned with the concept of a toolbox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What changes was King forced to make in his writing life after his accident? Did this affect the amount or quality of his work? How did it affect his feelings about his work? Explain your answer based on the book, On Writing.
Essay Topic 2
King believes that certain preparations are unnecessary and even harmful to aspiring writers. He mentions creative writing courses and writers' retreats. What does he have to say about these two options for writers? Explain using your own words.
Essay Topic 3
King believes a writer should write a lot to be successful. Throughout his life, King has always written. Cite specific examples from King's life that demonstrate his dedication to his theory of good writing.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)