|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King use theme in his novels?
2. In the chapter, Toolbox, what advice does King give the reader?
3. With respect to vocabulary, King states that __________ does not matter:
4. Which genre does King feel Misery will belong to when he begins to write the story?
5. According to King, what three things are the bases of all stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, On Writing, King discusses symbolism and theme as elements best ignored in first drafts. What is the relationship between symbolism and theme in King's work?
2. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
3. In the chapter, On Writing, King says some critics of his work claim that he is a hack. What is a hack and what evidence can you find to support the statement that King is a hack?
4. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
5. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that a writer should 'write what he knows'. What ideas justify this statement?
6. What evidence can you find to support King's claim that plot is less necessary than many would have the writer believe?
7. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
8. What are some of the most important aspects of grammar that an aspiring writer should observe according to King?
9. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
10. Both with vocabulary and 'above all else' King emphasizes honesty. Explain 'honesty' according to King and in your own words.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think a writer can learn to 'see' and write about what he sees from images such as the one King presented of a rabbit in a cage on a table? How can writing exercises like this one lead to better writing? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
King mentions many elements as being important to good writing: limiting the use of adverbs, writing in the active voice instead of the passive voice, the use of speaker attributes other than said, and paragraph length. How would you prioritize these elements and why?
Essay Topic 3
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)