|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, what is the best technique to use with description?
2. In conclusion, what is the chapter, Toolbox, about?
3. How does King use theme in his novels?
4. What kind of verbs does King recommend be used when writing?
5. According to King, what characteristic should a writer's space have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of King's statement that a good writer can become an excellent writer, but a bad writer will always be a bad writer according to King in On Writing.
2. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
3. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
4. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that a writer should 'write what he knows'. What ideas justify this statement?
5. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
6. What are some of the most important aspects of grammar that an aspiring writer should observe according to King?
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King says some critics of his work claim that he is a hack. What is a hack and what evidence can you find to support the statement that King is a hack?
8. Both with vocabulary and 'above all else' King emphasizes honesty. Explain 'honesty' according to King and in your own words.
9. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
10. What is King trying to tell the aspiring writer about finding his voice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What factors led to the publication of Carrie? Why do you think the novel was a success? Use ideas from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
Essay Topic 3
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)