Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King believe about writers who are too busy to read?
2. What action does King believe a writer should take with respect to grammar?
3. In order to ignore a grammar rule, what does King believe must be observed?
4. What advice does King give on paragraphs?
5. Why does King emphasize the importance of reading?
Essay Topic 1
What was the single most important factor in King's early success in his writing career? Back up your statements with illustrations from the book, On Writing.
Essay Topic 2
What conclusions can you draw from King's statements about a writer having his own space in which to work? What alternatives are there for those people who want to write but find it impossible to obtain a space in their living quarters?
Essay Topic 3
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)