|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King's uncle take with him when he works?
2. What is King's most important injunction to writers?
3. What kind of material should a writer read in order to learn the most from his reading?
4. Which genre does King feel Misery will belong to when he begins to write the story?
5. Which speaker attributes does King find acceptable for the majority of dialogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is King trying to tell the aspiring writer about finding his voice?
2. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
3. How would some of King's other beliefs about writing increase a reader's pleasure? Explain in your own words.
4. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
5. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
6. What are some of the most important aspects of grammar that an aspiring writer should observe according to King?
7. Why does King believe that adverbs, especially those ending in -ly are unnecessary?
8. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
9. In the chapter, On Writing, King says characters should be multi-dimensional. What motive is there for trying to give all characters evil, as well as good, characteristics?
10. Both with vocabulary and 'above all else' King emphasizes honesty. Explain 'honesty' according to King and in your own words.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the single most important factor in King's early success in his writing career? Back up your statements with illustrations from the book, On Writing.
Essay Topic 2
What factors in King's childhood and young adulthood influenced his writing? Was King's brother Dave an important influence in King's writing career? Which factors determined the type of writing he does? Give specific examples from the book to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
When King says there are some elements of writing that are highly unexplainable, what is he trying to say? King also claims writing is magic. What evidence can you find in the book, On Writing, that writing is magic? Defend your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)