|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King's uncle take with him when he works?
2. King gives the example of John Grisham as a writer. What does he say about Grisham?
3. What does King's uncle use from the toolbox?
4. What is a common characteristic of adverbs?
5. What is King's first piece of advice to those reading the chapter, On Writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
2. How would some of King's other beliefs about writing increase a reader's pleasure? Explain in your own words.
3. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
4. In the chapter, On Writing, King explains that description should be the smallest amount possible. How would you evaluate King's beliefs on writing description?
5. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
6. Both with vocabulary and 'above all else' King emphasizes honesty. Explain 'honesty' according to King and in your own words.
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King states every writer should have an agent. Why does he believe this to be important?
8. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
9. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
10. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think a writer can learn to 'see' and write about what he sees from images such as the one King presented of a rabbit in a cage on a table? How can writing exercises like this one lead to better writing? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
Essay Topic 3
What factors in King's childhood and young adulthood influenced his writing? Was King's brother Dave an important influence in King's writing career? Which factors determined the type of writing he does? Give specific examples from the book to support your claims.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)