|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King believe about writers who are too busy to read?
2. What action does King believe a writer should take with respect to grammar?
3. In order to ignore a grammar rule, what does King believe must be observed?
4. What advice does King give on paragraphs?
5. Why does King emphasize the importance of reading?
Essay Topic 1
King is a prolific writer yet he mentions writer's block in several places in the book, On Writing. Do you think this has been a hindrance in King's writing? What judgment would you make about King's frustration with writer's block? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
King believes a writer should write a lot to be successful. Throughout his life, King has always written. Cite specific examples from King's life that demonstrate his dedication to his theory of good writing.
Essay Topic 3
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)