|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another belief of King is that writers have a special need. What is this need?
2. What does King say about adverbs?
3. How many words a day does King try to produce?
4. Why is it important to King that a writer not be distracted while working?
5. What does King believe is necessary to create strong characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. King believes in writers bringing their 'toolbox' with them when writing. Why is he so impassioned with the concept of a toolbox?
2. What evidence can you find to support King's claim that plot is less necessary than many would have the writer believe?
3. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
4. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
5. In the chapter, On Writing, King explains that description should be the smallest amount possible. How would you evaluate King's beliefs on writing description?
6. Why do you think King stresses the importance of writing a lot in On Writing?
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
8. Explain the significance of King's statement that a good writer can become an excellent writer, but a bad writer will always be a bad writer according to King in On Writing.
9. What are some of the most important aspects of grammar that an aspiring writer should observe according to King?
10. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What conclusions can you draw from King's statements about a writer having his own space in which to work? What alternatives are there for those people who want to write but find it impossible to obtain a space in their living quarters?
Essay Topic 2
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
King believes a writer should write a lot to be successful. Throughout his life, King has always written. Cite specific examples from King's life that demonstrate his dedication to his theory of good writing.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)