|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King consider to be the best tool in making a writer?
2. What are King's feelings on grammar study?
3. In order to ignore a grammar rule, what does King believe must be observed?
4. What lesson does the experience with his uncle teach King?
5. If used correctly, King believes that dialogue could be what object for a writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, On Writing, King explains that description should be the smallest amount possible. How would you evaluate King's beliefs on writing description?
2. In the chapter, On Writing, King discusses symbolism and theme as elements best ignored in first drafts. What is the relationship between symbolism and theme in King's work?
3. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
4. How would some of King's other beliefs about writing increase a reader's pleasure? Explain in your own words.
5. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
6. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King says characters should be multi-dimensional. What motive is there for trying to give all characters evil, as well as good, characteristics?
8. Why does King believe that adverbs, especially those ending in -ly are unnecessary?
9. Both with vocabulary and 'above all else' King emphasizes honesty. Explain 'honesty' according to King and in your own words.
10. In the chapter, On Writing, King states every writer should have an agent. Why does he believe this to be important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think a writer can learn to 'see' and write about what he sees from images such as the one King presented of a rabbit in a cage on a table? How can writing exercises like this one lead to better writing? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When King says there are some elements of writing that are highly unexplainable, what is he trying to say? King also claims writing is magic. What evidence can you find in the book, On Writing, that writing is magic? Defend your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)