|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what point does King try to add symbolism to his work?
2. From whom does King's uncle inherit something?
3. According to King, what should dialogue represent?
4. What equipment does a writer need according to King?
5. If used correctly, King believes that dialogue could be what object for a writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, On Writing, King states every writer should have an agent. Why does he believe this to be important?
2. Explain the significance of King's statement that a good writer can become an excellent writer, but a bad writer will always be a bad writer according to King in On Writing.
3. In the chapter, On Writing, King says characters should be multi-dimensional. What motive is there for trying to give all characters evil, as well as good, characteristics?
4. In the chapter, On Writing, King explains that description should be the smallest amount possible. How would you evaluate King's beliefs on writing description?
5. Why do you think King stresses the importance of writing a lot in On Writing?
6. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
7. What is King trying to tell the aspiring writer about finding his voice?
8. What is the second most important tool according to King?
9. In the chapter, On Writing, King says some critics of his work claim that he is a hack. What is a hack and what evidence can you find to support the statement that King is a hack?
10. Both with vocabulary and 'above all else' King emphasizes honesty. Explain 'honesty' according to King and in your own words.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King is a prolific writer yet he mentions writer's block in several places in the book, On Writing. Do you think this has been a hindrance in King's writing? What judgment would you make about King's frustration with writer's block? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
King believes that certain preparations are unnecessary and even harmful to aspiring writers. He mentions creative writing courses and writers' retreats. What does he have to say about these two options for writers? Explain using your own words.
Essay Topic 3
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)