|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If used correctly, King believes that dialogue could be what object for a writer?
(a) A clever device used by the writer when necessary.
(b) A strong tool in the writer's toolbox.
(c) The least important tool in the writer's toolbox.
(d) A helpful tool like a monologue.
2. What action does King believe a writer should take with respect to grammar?
(a) To ask teachers about things which confuse the writer.
(b) To ignore grammar and let editors correct any obvious mistakes.
(c) To thoroughly read a well-known grammar text.
(d) To research the writer's specific doubts on the Internet.
3. What kind of verbs does King recommend be used when writing?
(a) Verbs in the passive voice, past tense.
(b) Verbs of vivid action.
(c) Verbs in the active voice, present tense.
(d) Verbs in the active voice.
4. According to King, what goes in the top of the writer's toolbox?
(a) The most important tools for writing.
(b) Practice in writing.
(c) Study and preparation through classwork.
(d) A grounding in literature.
5. Why is it important to King that a writer not be distracted while working?
(a) He believes that distractions make achieving a high number of words impossible.
(b) He feels that distractions cause a writer to lose the desire to work.
(c) He thinks writers achieve their best work in solitude.
(d) He suggests that writers need solitude to clarify their thoughts.
6. What activity might cause King to work on days he normally doesn't work?
(a) Having a writer's block and not producing his usual amount of words previously.
(b) Being in the middle of a new novel.
(c) Being sick on days previous to the holiday.
(d) Having a deadline to meet.
7. There is an old adage in writing: write what you know. How does King feel about this?
(a) He hopes that writers will experiment and not be limited by this statement.
(b) He believes that writers should follow this advice, but not in a literal way.
(c) He urges writers to ignore this advice and write what they think is important and of value.
(d) He suggests writers research questions they are interested in and then write about them.
8. According to King, what three things are the bases of all stories?
(a) Characterization, dialogue and theme.
(b) Narration, dialogue, and description.
(c) Dialogue, theme, and description.
(d) Narration, dialogue, and characterization.
9. How does King feel about figures of speech?
(a) He thinks they should be used extensively.
(b) He thinks that writers should use other ways of transmitting their thoughts.
(c) He says they should be avoided.
(d) He says a writer should avoid similes and metaphors that are cliché and make little sense.
10. How does King define vocabulary?
(a) Good words and knowledge of how to use them.
(b) A knowledge of words used by different people that you are going to write about.
(c) An essential tool for good writing.
(d) The sum of the words you know.
11. What does King consider to be the best tool in making a writer?
(a) Taking writing courses in different genres.
(b) Going to writers' retreats.
(c) Practice writing.
12. What is a common characteristic of adverbs?
(a) Many adverbs end in -ly.
(b) Oftentimes adverbs end with -ier.
(c) Most adverbs end in -ed.
(d) Frequently adverbs end in -ness.
13. According to King, which element of a novel is less important than aspiring writers might believe?
14. What kind of material should a writer read in order to learn the most from his reading?
(a) Action drama.
(c) Bad prose.
(d) In the same genre that he writes.
15. Why does King emphasize the importance of reading?
(a) He thinks that writers need to see what other writers are writing about.
(b) He believes a writer learns his craft from reading.
(c) He wants writers to appreciate different styles of writing.
(d) He feels that writers need to widen their horizons.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, grammar rules were _______________ .
2. How does King use theme in his novels?
3. According to King, what should dialogue represent?
4. What does King's uncle inherit?
5. In addition to his injunction, King wants writers to leave something behind when they write. What should writers leave behind?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)