|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does King believe about writers who are too busy to read?
(a) They are hobbyists, not passionate writers.
(b) They will lose a good source of ideas.
(c) They will be a successful writer.
(d) They are too busy to write.
2. How could the object King's uncle inherits be described?
(a) Small and light.
(b) Big but light.
(c) Large and hard to carry around.
(d) Large and open.
3. According to King, what characteristics should all characters possess?
(a) Endearing qualities.
(b) Characteristics which make them seem perfect.
(c) Characteristics that make the reader sympathetic.
(d) Evil characteristics as well as good ones.
4. What kind of verbs does King recommend be used when writing?
(a) Verbs in the active voice, present tense.
(b) Verbs in the passive voice, past tense.
(c) Verbs in the active voice.
(d) Verbs of vivid action.
5. There is another element in the making of a good writer according to King's statements. What is it?
(a) To write a lot.
(b) To have definite writing goals.
(c) To write when the muse strikes.
(d) To write frequently.
6. What advice does King give on paragraphs?
(a) King believes paragraphs should not vary in length.
(b) King feels paragraphs should have a standard length of 8 to 10 lines.
(c) To pay attention to the length and number of paragraphs.
(d) King wants writers to see their paragraphs as a graphic picture on a page.
7. King has been called a hack over the years. What is a hack?
(a) A literary drudge.
(b) An excellent writer.
(c) A writer of trivial matter.
(d) A writer with no talent.
8. On certain occasions, King believes that grammar rules _________ .
(a) Should be discussed between characters.
(b) Can be ignored.
(c) Can be explained casually to the reader.
(d) May be played with.
9. What does King consider to be the best tool in making a writer?
(a) Going to writers' retreats.
(b) Practice writing.
(c) Taking writing courses in different genres.
10. Why does King feel that plotting out a novel is not wise?
(a) He believes it would be dishonest to the characters.
(b) He wants his characters to be free to act.
(c) He feels that the story creates the plot.
(d) He likes for his story to develop, and then he tries to mold the plot when necessary.
11. In the chapter, Toolbox, what advice does King give the reader?
(a) Writers need to have outlets other than writing.
(b) Writers should always be prepared.
(c) Writers need their own toolbox to be successful.
(d) Writers should carefully prepare their tools before beginning to write.
12. Why does King's uncle carry the whole toolbox with him?
(a) Because he says a person could never be sure what tools he would need.
(b) Because lifting it gives him a workout.
(c) Because he can't go back home between jobs.
(d) Because it is a habit.
13. What does King's uncle use from the toolbox?
(a) A screwdriver and a hammer.
(b) A hammer and some nails.
(c) Only a screwdriver.
(d) Several tools.
14. What is King's most important injunction to writers?
(a) Writers must be original.
(b) Writers must work every day.
(c) Writers should be honest.
(d) Writers need to have their own space.
15. How does King use this advice from his uncle?
(a) He always takes all his tools when he has to fix something.
(b) He applies it to his writing.
(c) He buys new tools every time he receives a check for his work.
(d) He falls in love with tools and creates his own toolbox for chores around the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, what goes in the top of the writer's toolbox?
2. When does King hold himself to the minimum number of words per day?
3. What does King's uncle inherit?
4. Another belief of King is that writers have a special need. What is this need?
5. In addition to comments on paragraphs, King mentions one other feature of the page. What is it?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)