|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. However, King does believe _______ to be essential to a writer's vocabulary.
2. What is unusual about the character Annie Wilkes?
(a) She maintains her good qualities while committing her sins.
(b) She is a good person doing evil deeds.
(c) Her prisoner finds her sympathetic.
(d) She is a psychopath with redeeming qualities.
3. In conclusion, what is the chapter, Toolbox, about?
(a) King's analogy on the art of writing.
(b) King's effort to present the mechanics of writing to his readers.
(c) King's beliefs about how to become an excellent writer.
(d) King's feelings about the writing world.
4. There is an old adage in writing: write what you know. How does King feel about this?
(a) He urges writers to ignore this advice and write what they think is important and of value.
(b) He believes that writers should follow this advice, but not in a literal way.
(c) He hopes that writers will experiment and not be limited by this statement.
(d) He suggests writers research questions they are interested in and then write about them.
5. What kind of verbs does King recommend be used when writing?
(a) Verbs in the passive voice, past tense.
(b) Verbs in the active voice.
(c) Verbs of vivid action.
(d) Verbs in the active voice, present tense.
6. According to King, what characteristic should a writer's space have?
(a) A calming venue with only a telephone and a computer.
(b) A simple place with little or no distractions.
(c) A quiet place with a radio and a computer.
(d) An office space with files, computer, printer, and a telephone.
7. What is a common characteristic of adverbs?
(a) Many adverbs end in -ly.
(b) Most adverbs end in -ed.
(c) Frequently adverbs end in -ness.
(d) Oftentimes adverbs end with -ier.
8. What does King's uncle inherit?
(a) A silver watch.
(b) A large toolbox.
(c) A car.
(d) The house.
9. How does King paint the main character from The Dead Zone?
(a) He is evil but loving.
(b) He has his flaws and is thoroughly evil.
(c) As a nice, normal boy who is flawed.
(d) He is too perfect.
10. How does King use this advice from his uncle?
(a) He falls in love with tools and creates his own toolbox for chores around the house.
(b) He applies it to his writing.
(c) He always takes all his tools when he has to fix something.
(d) He buys new tools every time he receives a check for his work.
11. What does King believe is necessary to create strong characters?
(a) They should be clearly defined but interesting.
(b) They should be multidimensional.
(c) They should be clearly defined by their actions.
(d) The reader should have no problem identifying the good characters from the bad ones.
12. At what point does King try to add symbolism to his work?
(a) In the second draft.
(b) In the first draft.
(c) While editing the novel.
(d) When it seems to be important to do so.
13. With respect to vocabulary, King states that __________ does not matter:
(a) Whether a writer's vocabulary is highly educated or simple.
(b) The cleverness of a writer's vocabulary.
(c) The extent of a writer's vocabulary.
(d) The beauty of a writer's vocabulary.
14. In the chapter, Toolbox, what advice does King give the reader?
(a) Writers should always be prepared.
(b) Writers should carefully prepare their tools before beginning to write.
(c) Writers need to have outlets other than writing.
(d) Writers need their own toolbox to be successful.
15. What does King consider to be the best tool in making a writer?
(a) Practice writing.
(c) Taking writing courses in different genres.
(d) Going to writers' retreats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another belief of King is that writers have a special need. What is this need?
2. What does King believe about writers who are too busy to read?
3. What action does King believe a writer should take with respect to grammar?
4. What does King's uncle take with him when he works?
5. When does King hold himself to the minimum number of words per day?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)