|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to King, what characteristic should a writer's space have?
(a) A quiet place with a radio and a computer.
(b) An office space with files, computer, printer, and a telephone.
(c) A calming venue with only a telephone and a computer.
(d) A simple place with little or no distractions.
2. What action does King believe a writer should take with respect to grammar?
(a) To ignore grammar and let editors correct any obvious mistakes.
(b) To thoroughly read a well-known grammar text.
(c) To ask teachers about things which confuse the writer.
(d) To research the writer's specific doubts on the Internet.
3. King's comparison of a handyman's toolbox with a writer's tool box is which figure of speech?
4. What does King's uncle take with him when he works?
(a) His entire toolbox.
(b) The specific tools needed for the job.
(c) Only a couple of his favorite tools.
(d) Usually his screwdriver, a hammer, a few nails and screws.
5. What does King believe is necessary to create strong characters?
(a) The reader should have no problem identifying the good characters from the bad ones.
(b) They should be clearly defined by their actions.
(c) They should be clearly defined but interesting.
(d) They should be multidimensional.
6. King has been called a hack over the years. What is a hack?
(a) A writer with no talent.
(b) A writer of trivial matter.
(c) A literary drudge.
(d) An excellent writer.
7. What is King's first piece of advice to those reading the chapter, On Writing?
(a) To believe in their work.
(b) To write every day.
(c) To read.
(d) To practice their writing using his suggestions.
8. What does King say about adverbs?
(a) To limit their use.
(b) To use them to intensify meaning.
(c) To include them when characters are being emotional.
(d) To use colorful adverbs to make the writing more vivid.
9. However, King does believe _______ to be essential to a writer's vocabulary.
10. What book does King recommend for grammar study?
(a) Any good high school grammar text.
(b) Betty Azar's Understanding and Using English Grammar.
(c) Prentice-Hall Handbook of Grammar.
(d) Strunk and White's Elements of Style.
11. What does King help his uncle fix as a child?
(a) A leaky faucet in the bathroom.
(b) A window screen.
(c) The kitchen sink.
(d) The driveway.
12. How could the object King's uncle inherits be described?
(a) Large and hard to carry around.
(b) Big but light.
(c) Small and light.
(d) Large and open.
13. What is unusual about the character Annie Wilkes?
(a) She maintains her good qualities while committing her sins.
(b) She is a psychopath with redeeming qualities.
(c) Her prisoner finds her sympathetic.
(d) She is a good person doing evil deeds.
14. According to King, what three things are the bases of all stories?
(a) Narration, dialogue, and characterization.
(b) Characterization, dialogue and theme.
(c) Narration, dialogue, and description.
(d) Dialogue, theme, and description.
15. King claims he works on all of the following days except one. Which day does King not work?
(a) Thanksgiving Day.
(b) His birthday.
(d) New Year's Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. King claims __________ is the second most important tool in a writer's toolbox.
2. According to King, which element of a novel is less important than aspiring writers might believe?
3. Why does King emphasize the importance of reading?
4. Why is it important to King that a writer not be distracted while working?
5. What is King's most important injunction to writers?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)