|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does King give on paragraphs?
(a) King feels paragraphs should have a standard length of 8 to 10 lines.
(b) To pay attention to the length and number of paragraphs.
(c) King wants writers to see their paragraphs as a graphic picture on a page.
(d) King believes paragraphs should not vary in length.
2. What does King's uncle inherit?
(a) A silver watch.
(b) The house.
(c) A large toolbox.
(d) A car.
3. What is King's most important injunction to writers?
(a) Writers should be honest.
(b) Writers must work every day.
(c) Writers need to have their own space.
(d) Writers must be original.
4. However, King does believe _______ to be essential to a writer's vocabulary.
5. With respect to vocabulary, King states that __________ does not matter:
(a) The cleverness of a writer's vocabulary.
(b) Whether a writer's vocabulary is highly educated or simple.
(c) The extent of a writer's vocabulary.
(d) The beauty of a writer's vocabulary.
6. According to King, what three things are the bases of all stories?
(a) Characterization, dialogue and theme.
(b) Narration, dialogue, and characterization.
(c) Narration, dialogue, and description.
(d) Dialogue, theme, and description.
7. In order to ignore a grammar rule, what does King believe must be observed?
(a) An explanation must be given to the reader.
(c) A new rule must be created.
(d) It must be done properly.
8. Does King feel that a writer should blindly follow all the rules in the book he recommends?
(a) Yes, but the writer should remember and use the exceptions, too.
(b) Yes. They are excellent rules.
(c) No. He feels some of the rules are 'a little over the top'.
(d) Yes, because these rules are the ultimate authority.
9. What book does King recommend for grammar study?
(a) Betty Azar's Understanding and Using English Grammar.
(b) Any good high school grammar text.
(c) Strunk and White's Elements of Style.
(d) Prentice-Hall Handbook of Grammar.
10. How does King define vocabulary?
(a) A knowledge of words used by different people that you are going to write about.
(b) The sum of the words you know.
(c) An essential tool for good writing.
(d) Good words and knowledge of how to use them.
11. In conclusion, what is the chapter, Toolbox, about?
(a) King's feelings about the writing world.
(b) King's beliefs about how to become an excellent writer.
(c) King's effort to present the mechanics of writing to his readers.
(d) King's analogy on the art of writing.
12. In addition to comments on paragraphs, King mentions one other feature of the page. What is it?
(a) The borders of the page.
(b) The amount of white space on a page.
(c) How one physical paragraph relates to the others.
(d) How the type looks on the page.
13. What are King's feelings on grammar study?
(a) Grammar should be learned intuitively.
(b) Grammar should be studied at length.
(c) Lengthy grammar study is unnecessary.
(d) Grammar should be studied only through high school.
14. From King's statements, what element should be used to illustrate a character?
(a) Their typical, everyday dress.
(b) Their thoughts.
(c) Their speech.
(d) Their mannerisms.
15. What does King's uncle take with him when he works?
(a) The specific tools needed for the job.
(b) Usually his screwdriver, a hammer, a few nails and screws.
(c) His entire toolbox.
(d) Only a couple of his favorite tools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson does the experience with his uncle teach King?
2. What does King consider to be a writer's practice?
3. How does King use this advice from his uncle?
4. According to King, grammar rules were _______________ .
5. What kind of material should a writer read in order to learn the most from his reading?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)