|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to King, which element of a novel is less important than aspiring writers might believe?
2. On certain occasions, King believes that grammar rules _________ .
(a) May be played with.
(b) Can be explained casually to the reader.
(c) Should be discussed between characters.
(d) Can be ignored.
3. What are King's feelings on grammar study?
(a) Lengthy grammar study is unnecessary.
(b) Grammar should be studied at length.
(c) Grammar should be learned intuitively.
(d) Grammar should be studied only through high school.
4. Why is it important to King that a writer not be distracted while working?
(a) He thinks writers achieve their best work in solitude.
(b) He feels that distractions cause a writer to lose the desire to work.
(c) He suggests that writers need solitude to clarify their thoughts.
(d) He believes that distractions make achieving a high number of words impossible.
5. What does King say about adverbs?
(a) To limit their use.
(b) To include them when characters are being emotional.
(c) To use colorful adverbs to make the writing more vivid.
(d) To use them to intensify meaning.
6. How does King feel about figures of speech?
(a) He says a writer should avoid similes and metaphors that are cliché and make little sense.
(b) He thinks that writers should use other ways of transmitting their thoughts.
(c) He thinks they should be used extensively.
(d) He says they should be avoided.
7. Which genre does King feel Misery will belong to when he begins to write the story?
(a) A screenplay.
(b) A short story.
(c) A novella.
(d) A novel.
8. How could the object King's uncle inherits be described?
(a) Large and hard to carry around.
(b) Large and open.
(c) Big but light.
(d) Small and light.
9. In addition to his injunction, King wants writers to leave something behind when they write. What should writers leave behind?
(d) Their desires.
10. According to King, what is the most important tool for a writer?
(a) Lots of notes.
(b) Good typing skills.
(d) An excellent computer.
11. What action does King believe a writer should take with respect to grammar?
(a) To ask teachers about things which confuse the writer.
(b) To thoroughly read a well-known grammar text.
(c) To ignore grammar and let editors correct any obvious mistakes.
(d) To research the writer's specific doubts on the Internet.
12. How does King paint the main character from The Dead Zone?
(a) He has his flaws and is thoroughly evil.
(b) He is evil but loving.
(c) As a nice, normal boy who is flawed.
(d) He is too perfect.
13. Why does King emphasize the importance of reading?
(a) He believes a writer learns his craft from reading.
(b) He wants writers to appreciate different styles of writing.
(c) He feels that writers need to widen their horizons.
(d) He thinks that writers need to see what other writers are writing about.
14. According to King, what should dialogue represent?
(a) Conversation between characters.
(b) Speech written as we hear it, i.e. Whatcha ya doin'?
(c) Normal speech.
(d) Dialogue should stress the best conversational ability of the characters.
15. If used correctly, King believes that dialogue could be what object for a writer?
(a) A helpful tool like a monologue.
(b) A strong tool in the writer's toolbox.
(c) A clever device used by the writer when necessary.
(d) The least important tool in the writer's toolbox.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, what is the best technique to use with description?
2. What does King consider to be a writer's practice?
3. What lesson does the experience with his uncle teach King?
4. King's comparison of a handyman's toolbox with a writer's tool box is which figure of speech?
5. King gives the example of John Grisham as a writer. What does he say about Grisham?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)