|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. King claims he works on all of the following days except one. Which day does King not work?
(a) His birthday.
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) Thanksgiving Day.
2. What does King's uncle inherit?
(a) A silver watch.
(b) The house.
(c) A large toolbox.
(d) A car.
3. According to King, which element of a novel is less important than aspiring writers might believe?
4. Why does King take this position on adverbs?
(a) He wants to limit the words in his books.
(b) He feels adverbs do the thinking for the reader.
(c) He believes that by using adverbs, a writer won't stretch his imagination.
(d) He feels adverbs are a crutch for the writer.
5. According to King, what three things are the bases of all stories?
(a) Dialogue, theme, and description.
(b) Narration, dialogue, and description.
(c) Characterization, dialogue and theme.
(d) Narration, dialogue, and characterization.
6. According to King, what characteristics should all characters possess?
(a) Characteristics which make them seem perfect.
(b) Characteristics that make the reader sympathetic.
(c) Evil characteristics as well as good ones.
(d) Endearing qualities.
7. How does King use this advice from his uncle?
(a) He applies it to his writing.
(b) He buys new tools every time he receives a check for his work.
(c) He always takes all his tools when he has to fix something.
(d) He falls in love with tools and creates his own toolbox for chores around the house.
8. If used correctly, King believes that dialogue could be what object for a writer?
(a) The least important tool in the writer's toolbox.
(b) A helpful tool like a monologue.
(c) A strong tool in the writer's toolbox.
(d) A clever device used by the writer when necessary.
9. In order to ignore a grammar rule, what does King believe must be observed?
(a) An explanation must be given to the reader.
(c) It must be done properly.
(d) A new rule must be created.
10. What does King's uncle take with him when he works?
(a) The specific tools needed for the job.
(b) Only a couple of his favorite tools.
(c) His entire toolbox.
(d) Usually his screwdriver, a hammer, a few nails and screws.
11. From King's statements, what element should be used to illustrate a character?
(a) Their mannerisms.
(b) Their thoughts.
(c) Their speech.
(d) Their typical, everyday dress.
12. According to King, what is the most important tool for a writer?
(a) An excellent computer.
(b) Lots of notes.
(c) Good typing skills.
13. What does King help his uncle fix as a child?
(a) A window screen.
(b) A leaky faucet in the bathroom.
(c) The kitchen sink.
(d) The driveway.
14. Which genre does King feel Misery will belong to when he begins to write the story?
(a) A novella.
(b) A screenplay.
(c) A short story.
(d) A novel.
15. How could the object King's uncle inherits be described?
(a) Small and light.
(b) Large and hard to carry around.
(c) Big but light.
(d) Large and open.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King say about adverbs?
2. What does King consider to be a writer's practice?
3. Why does King's uncle carry the whole toolbox with him?
4. How does King suggest writers improve their vocabulary?
5. What kind of verbs does King recommend be used when writing?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)