|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to King, what characteristic should a writer's space have?
(a) A quiet place with a radio and a computer.
(b) A calming venue with only a telephone and a computer.
(c) An office space with files, computer, printer, and a telephone.
(d) A simple place with little or no distractions.
2. How does King define vocabulary?
(a) Good words and knowledge of how to use them.
(b) The sum of the words you know.
(c) A knowledge of words used by different people that you are going to write about.
(d) An essential tool for good writing.
3. How does King suggest writers improve their vocabulary?
(a) By learning two or three new words per day.
(b) He doesn't believe they should strive to do so.
(c) By carrying vocabulary/definition cards with them at all times and practicing.
(d) By reading extensively.
4. Which genre does King feel Misery will belong to when he begins to write the story?
(a) A novella.
(b) A short story.
(c) A novel.
(d) A screenplay.
5. There is an old adage in writing: write what you know. How does King feel about this?
(a) He believes that writers should follow this advice, but not in a literal way.
(b) He suggests writers research questions they are interested in and then write about them.
(c) He urges writers to ignore this advice and write what they think is important and of value.
(d) He hopes that writers will experiment and not be limited by this statement.
6. Where does King get the idea for the novel Misery?
(a) From a dream.
(b) From a book he was reading.
(c) From his wife.
(d) From a TV show.
7. Another belief of King is that writers have a special need. What is this need?
(a) An office equipped with a computer and internet access.
(b) A telephone.
(c) A specific space in which to write.
(d) A modern computer with Skype and YouTube accounts.
8. King's comparison of a handyman's toolbox with a writer's tool box is which figure of speech?
9. According to King, what should dialogue represent?
(a) Speech written as we hear it, i.e. Whatcha ya doin'?
(b) Normal speech.
(c) Dialogue should stress the best conversational ability of the characters.
(d) Conversation between characters.
10. According to King, what is the most important tool for a writer?
(a) Good typing skills.
(c) An excellent computer.
(d) Lots of notes.
11. King has been called a hack over the years. What is a hack?
(a) A literary drudge.
(b) An excellent writer.
(c) A writer of trivial matter.
(d) A writer with no talent.
12. How does King paint the main character from The Dead Zone?
(a) He is evil but loving.
(b) As a nice, normal boy who is flawed.
(c) He has his flaws and is thoroughly evil.
(d) He is too perfect.
13. How could the object King's uncle inherits be described?
(a) Large and hard to carry around.
(b) Big but light.
(c) Small and light.
(d) Large and open.
14. There is another element in the making of a good writer according to King's statements. What is it?
(a) To write when the muse strikes.
(b) To have definite writing goals.
(c) To write frequently.
(d) To write a lot.
15. What activity might cause King to work on days he normally doesn't work?
(a) Being sick on days previous to the holiday.
(b) Being in the middle of a new novel.
(c) Having a writer's block and not producing his usual amount of words previously.
(d) Having a deadline to meet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of verbs does King recommend be used when writing?
2. What lesson does the experience with his uncle teach King?
3. How does King feel about figures of speech?
4. King also suggests limiting speaker attributes. What are speaker attributes?
5. According to King, what three things are the bases of all stories?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)