|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. King has been called a hack over the years. What is a hack?
(a) A writer of trivial matter.
(b) An excellent writer.
(c) A literary drudge.
(d) A writer with no talent.
2. How could the object King's uncle inherits be described?
(a) Large and hard to carry around.
(b) Big but light.
(c) Large and open.
(d) Small and light.
3. What does King consider to be a writer's practice?
(a) Writing exercises.
(b) Daily journal entries.
(d) Any kind of writing.
4. From whom does King's uncle inherit something?
(a) From his grandfather.
(b) From his brother.
(c) From his mother.
(d) From his father, King's grandfather.
5. In conclusion, what is the chapter, Toolbox, about?
(a) King's beliefs about how to become an excellent writer.
(b) King's feelings about the writing world.
(c) King's analogy on the art of writing.
(d) King's effort to present the mechanics of writing to his readers.
6. What does King's uncle inherit?
(a) A large toolbox.
(b) The house.
(c) A silver watch.
(d) A car.
7. What kind of material should a writer read in order to learn the most from his reading?
(b) In the same genre that he writes.
(c) Action drama.
(d) Bad prose.
8. How does King define vocabulary?
(a) The sum of the words you know.
(b) A knowledge of words used by different people that you are going to write about.
(c) Good words and knowledge of how to use them.
(d) An essential tool for good writing.
9. Which speaker attributes does King find acceptable for the majority of dialogue?
(a) Clever ones that break up the monotony of the 'he said', 'she said' routine.
(b) Those which use active verbs.
(c) The basic 'he said', 'she said'.
(d) Whichever ones are necessary to convey the meaning of the scene.
10. According to King, what three things are the bases of all stories?
(a) Narration, dialogue, and description.
(b) Dialogue, theme, and description.
(c) Narration, dialogue, and characterization.
(d) Characterization, dialogue and theme.
11. What is a common characteristic of adverbs?
(a) Frequently adverbs end in -ness.
(b) Most adverbs end in -ed.
(c) Many adverbs end in -ly.
(d) Oftentimes adverbs end with -ier.
12. Why does King's uncle carry the whole toolbox with him?
(a) Because it is a habit.
(b) Because he says a person could never be sure what tools he would need.
(c) Because lifting it gives him a workout.
(d) Because he can't go back home between jobs.
13. What does King's uncle use from the toolbox?
(a) Several tools.
(b) A hammer and some nails.
(c) A screwdriver and a hammer.
(d) Only a screwdriver.
14. There is another element in the making of a good writer according to King's statements. What is it?
(a) To have definite writing goals.
(b) To write when the muse strikes.
(c) To write a lot.
(d) To write frequently.
15. How does King suggest writers improve their vocabulary?
(a) He doesn't believe they should strive to do so.
(b) By reading extensively.
(c) By learning two or three new words per day.
(d) By carrying vocabulary/definition cards with them at all times and practicing.
Short Answer Questions
1. If used correctly, King believes that dialogue could be what object for a writer?
2. In addition to his injunction, King wants writers to leave something behind when they write. What should writers leave behind?
3. How does King use theme in his novels?
4. Another belief of King is that writers have a special need. What is this need?
5. According to King, what characteristics should all characters possess?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)