|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does his writing help King financially?
(a) King's stories never made much, but every little bit helped.
(b) King's writing didn't really help financially.
(c) King's writing was a steady, but small source of income.
(d) Often his stories would sell when they were in serious financial trouble.
2. What happens to the person(s) on whom King bases Carrie while they were in high school?
(a) They were isolated by their classmates.
(b) They were bullied and mistreated by their classmates.
(c) They were abused physically.
(d) They were hounded by their parents to get good grades.
3. What is the first object described in the image in the second chapter?
(a) A snake.
(b) A head.
(c) A cage.
(d) A bird.
4. Where does King discover horror stories?
(a) At the newsstand.
(b) At his aunt and uncle's house.
(c) At the local theater.
(d) In the school library.
5. What does the King brothers' newspaper contain?
(a) Stories about family members.
(b) Stories told to King about his family.
(c) Local gossip and family news.
(d) Family and neighborhood news.
6. What is one reason for reading the book, On Writing?
(a) It provides King's views on other writer's formulas for success.
(b) It provides a formats for writers.
(c) It provides inspiration.
(d) It provides a discussion of King's famous works.
7. Does King believe the reader see the image in the same way as the author?
(a) If the writer describes it well, he will.
(b) No, not always.
(c) Yes, he does.
(d) Yes, if the reader reads carefully.
8. Where does King get a job to help pay for college?
(a) At Massachusetts Mills and Dye Co.
(b) At West Point Peppermill Mfg Co.
(c) At Worumbo Mills and Weaving.
(d) At Canon Mills and Mfg. Co.
9. Where is the cloth mentioned in King's image located within the image?
(a) Lying on the floor.
(b) Under the cage.
(c) Beside the first object.
(d) Draped over a chair.
10. In the chapter, C.V., King makes a discovery about writing. What is this discovery?
(a) He discovers that writing is an obsession.
(b) He discovers that writing was something he likes to do.
(c) He discovers that his writing is not very good.
(d) He discovers that writing controls his life.
11. What is the location of the first item mentioned in the image?
(a) In a chair.
(b) On the floor.
(c) Over a counter.
(d) On a table.
12. What does King remember about his childhood with his brother Dave?
(a) Their pets.
(b) Always being in trouble.
(c) Many adventures.
(d) How his brother hit him.
13. If a reader does not see an image the same way as the writer, how has the image changed?
(a) The image doesn't change. It is the same image.
(b) The image becomes more elaborated.
(c) The creative process changes the image to fit the story.
(d) As the reader reads about it, the details change.
14. Where on the animal is something unusual attached?
(a) On its foot.
(b) On its back.
(c) On its side.
(d) On a collar around its neck.
15. When does King begin to write stories?
(a) While he is in kindergarten.
(b) During his first year of school.
(c) After he finishes school.
(d) When he is eight or nine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does King meet while in college?
2. Why does King describe the image in the second chapter the way he does?
3. Who is the character Carrie based on?
4. Why does King throw the story Carrie in the trash can?
5. Of the two reasons King gives for why people write, which one does he support?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)