|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The change that King made in his writing life after his wife's intervention is seen by King as a symbol. What does this symbol represent?
(a) A change in the priorities of his life.
(b) A change in the meaning of his writing.
(c) A change to a deeper kind of symbolism in his writing.
(d) A change in his writing style.
2. What happens to Carrie when King sends it off to the publisher?
(a) King receives a check for $250.
(b) It sells, and he receives an advance of $2500.
(c) King receives a telegram saying the book needed revisions.
(d) The publisher sells it for $2500.
3. What does the King brothers' newspaper contain?
(a) Local gossip and family news.
(b) Stories told to King about his family.
(c) Stories about family members.
(d) Family and neighborhood news.
4. Why does King describe the image in the second chapter the way he does?
(a) King believes the reader will see the image as he does anyway.
(b) To allow the reader to see the image in their own way.
(c) King wants to trick the reader into seeing a different image.
(d) So that the reader creates an image different from the one King describes.
5. What happens to the person(s) on whom King bases Carrie while they were in high school?
(a) They were isolated by their classmates.
(b) They were abused physically.
(c) They were bullied and mistreated by their classmates.
(d) They were hounded by their parents to get good grades.
6. King states that writing is a job that includes aspects that are ____.
(c) Void of meaning.
7. After Tabitha King's intervention in King's addictions, he makes some changes in his life. What change does he make in his writing life?
(a) He exchanges his massive desk for a smaller one.
(b) He centers his desk in his office.
(c) He moves his massive desk to a corner of his office.
(d) He rearranges his office to accommodate a larger desk and chair.
8. How can the book, On Writing, be described?
(a) Clever, formulistic, but inspiring.
(b) A masterpiece.
(c) A poorly conceived hack job.
(d) Poignant, educated and inspiring.
9. Why does it prove valuable to King to work for a local newspaper?
(a) Because the editor keeps him so busy he didn't have time to get into trouble.
(b) Because the editor teaches King how to edit his work.
(c) Because the job with the paper earns King a lot of money.
(d) Because he wins a national sports writing contest while there.
10. Where does King discover horror stories?
(a) At the newsstand.
(b) At his aunt and uncle's house.
(c) At the local theater.
(d) In the school library.
11. How does King's mother die?
(a) She dies of uterine cancer.
(b) She dies from an overdose.
(c) She dies of cirrhosis.
(d) She dies of injuries received in a traffic accident.
12. What is the location of the first item mentioned in the image?
(a) In a chair.
(b) Over a counter.
(c) On the floor.
(d) On a table.
13. What is the unusual item attached to the animal?
(a) An eye.
(b) A Chinese symbol.
(c) A number.
(d) A letter.
14. What animal appears in the image King describes in the second chapter?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A parakeet.
(c) A turtle.
(d) A cat.
15. What is a major theme in the second chapter of King's book?
(a) Reasons or motivations for writing.
(b) The necessity of studying other authors.
(c) The importance of studying grammar and vocabulary.
(d) The writer's life.
Short Answer Questions
1. The image in the second chapter is King's way of demonstrating to the readers his idea of _____.
2. What happens with the electromagnet experiment?
3. How does his writing help King financially?
4. Where does King get a job to help pay for college?
5. In the chapter, C.V., King makes a discovery about writing. What is this discovery?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)