|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does King define writing as?
(a) The creation of images in a reader's head.
(c) A juxtaposition of words and images.
(d) Visualization of scenes.
2. To which substance is King first addicted as a young man?
(c) Prescription pain-killers.
3. What kind of stories does King particularly enjoy?
(a) Stories by O. Henry.
(b) Mystery stories by Arthur Conan Doyle.
(c) Horror stories by Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) Humorous stories by Mark Twain.
4. What is the location of the first item mentioned in the image?
(a) On the floor.
(b) On a table.
(c) In a chair.
(d) Over a counter.
5. If a reader does not see an image the same way as the writer, how has the image changed?
(a) The creative process changes the image to fit the story.
(b) The image doesn't change. It is the same image.
(c) The image becomes more elaborated.
(d) As the reader reads about it, the details change.
6. Who is the character Carrie based on?
(a) His imagination.
(b) Two girls he knew in high school.
(c) A friend of his wife's.
(d) One of his students.
7. In what manner does King say writers must always consider writing?
8. When does King get the idea for Carrie?
(a) After reading about another girl.
(b) When his wife tells him a story she overheard.
(c) After watching a similar TV show.
(d) After taking a job at a high school.
9. Why does King describe the image in the second chapter the way he does?
(a) To allow the reader to see the image in their own way.
(b) King wants to trick the reader into seeing a different image.
(c) King believes the reader will see the image as he does anyway.
(d) So that the reader creates an image different from the one King describes.
10. How does King's mother die?
(a) She dies of injuries received in a traffic accident.
(b) She dies of uterine cancer.
(c) She dies from an overdose.
(d) She dies of cirrhosis.
11. What is one reason for reading the book, On Writing?
(a) It provides a formats for writers.
(b) It provides King's views on other writer's formulas for success.
(c) It provides inspiration.
(d) It provides a discussion of King's famous works.
12. King states that writing is a job that includes aspects that are ____.
(d) Void of meaning.
13. What is the second specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
14. What happens to Carrie several months later after its initial sale?
(a) The publisher sells the paperback rights.
(b) The book is published in Spanish.
(c) The book is made into a movie.
(d) The book sells its paperback rights to TNT for a television series.
15. What is the name of the second chapter of this book?
(a) Writing My Way.
(b) What Writing Is.
(c) On Living.
(d) On Writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King obtain money from his classmates?
2. What is a major theme in the second chapter of King's book?
3. How many specific facts are provided by King about the entire image in the second chapter?
4. What happens with the electromagnet experiment?
5. Of the details King has supplied the reader regarding his image in the second chapter, what does King hope the reader will primarily focus on?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)