|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
2. How did King describe the cloth's appearance in his image?
(a) He describes its texture.
(b) He talks about its smell.
(c) He describes its color.
(d) He didn't.
3. What is one reason for reading the book, On Writing?
(a) It provides a discussion of King's famous works.
(b) It provides King's views on other writer's formulas for success.
(c) It provides a formats for writers.
(d) It provides inspiration.
4. How does King's mother die?
(a) She dies of uterine cancer.
(b) She dies of cirrhosis.
(c) She dies from an overdose.
(d) She dies of injuries received in a traffic accident.
5. What happens to Carrie when King sends it off to the publisher?
(a) The publisher sells it for $2500.
(b) King receives a check for $250.
(c) It sells, and he receives an advance of $2500.
(d) King receives a telegram saying the book needed revisions.
6. When does King begin to write stories?
(a) While he is in kindergarten.
(b) During his first year of school.
(c) After he finishes school.
(d) When he is eight or nine.
7. What does King suggest that readers who do not take writing seriously do?
(a) Study the book more carefully.
(b) Stop reading the book.
(c) Read the book, but ignore the advice that conflicts with the reader's beliefs.
(d) Ignore his advice completely.
8. King's early addiction soon added another one. What is it?
(a) Over the counter pain-killers.
9. When does King get the idea for Carrie?
(a) After taking a job at a high school.
(b) After watching a similar TV show.
(c) When his wife tells him a story she overheard.
(d) After reading about another girl.
10. When King's principal hears about King's episode with the newspaper, what does he suggest?
(a) He tells him to get a job to keep him busy.
(b) He encourages King to quit writing.
(c) He tells him to stay out of trouble in the future.
(d) He tells him to get a job with a local paper as a sports writer.
11. What number appears in King's image?
(a) The number seven.
(b) The number 24/7.
(c) It is not specified.
(d) The number three.
12. What happens with the electromagnet experiment?
(a) It burns up their house.
(b) It shocks Stephen and Dave King, and sends them to the hospital.
(c) It darkens his entire apartment building.
(d) It is too big and blows out a neighborhood transformer.
13. .What is the first specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
(b) Writing exercises.
(c) Theme and plot.
(d) Writing mechanics.
14. What is King's overall opinion on details in writing?
(a) Supply all major details, but let the reader fill in the minor ones.
(b) Supply those the reader would never get on his own.
(c) Supply key details and a couple of minor ones for color.
(d) Only supply the minimum.
15. What does one of King's babysitters do to him?
(a) Mistreats him and complains to his mother about his behavior.
(b) Tortures King with a belt.
(c) Forces him to stay in his room all day.
(d) Feeds him too many eggs and then locks him in a closet.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, what is the second condition that, if readers cannot accept, should be a reason to stop reading his book?
2. What kind of writing book does King say that he will be not be writing?
3. Does King believe the reader see the image in the same way as the author?
4. When does King begin to submit stories to magazines?
5. Of the two reasons King gives for why people write, which one does he support?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)