|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Photographs are presented as sophisticated ____________, though they are made with little more than a click of a button.
2. Chinese tastes favor well-______________ presentations within photography, according to the book.
3. Most continue to claim that photography is entirely _________, according to the research of Sontag.
4. The question becomes whether photography is a ___________ process of documentation via machine, or not.
5. Cartier-Bresson, in the introduction of his book, justified his unwillingness to use _________ by citing technical limitations.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are photographs presented as art in the modern society, according to this chapter of the book?
2. What does this chapter seem to believe the current definition of modern society is in relation to images and things?
3. How are vapid or banal objects made beautiful when they are photographed, according to this chapter?
4. Why is it so simple for people in society to collect photographs, according to the text in this chapter?
5. In order to avoid the over-exposure of beautiful things, what becomes necessary in relation to beauty?
6. Why did photography enjoy a sudden burst in popularity, according to the text in this chapter?
7. What kinds of subjects does it seem that painting and photography seem to favor, according to the argument in this chapter?
8. What discussion does false photography illuminate in regards to the essential division in photography?
9. What do cameras often reveal in the subject of the picture or in the object being photographed?
10. What is one of the methods of falsifying photographs without changing the photograph itself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Photography brings up a lot of emotions and reactions from those who take photos and from those who look at photographs.
Part 1: Why do you think photography creates such intense reactions in those who view it?
Part 2: Why do you think Sontag is so passionate about photography and spreading knowledge about it?
Part 3: How do you think photography hold so much power over those who view it and those who take pictures?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Sontag points out that some people seem to prefer photographic images to reality.
Part 1: How are photographs superior to reality?
Part 2: Why do you think reality might be less appealing to others?
Part 3: Do you prefer photographs or reality? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Sontag makes a bold supposition that some artists create their works only to be photographed.
Part 1: Do you think an artist would only create something in order to get its picture taken?
Part 2: Why do you think artists create their pieces to begin with?
Part 3: Do you agree with Sontag's idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)