|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was rendered with Antonioni's typical flair and technique, featuring long shots, close-ups, jarring juxtaposition, and a focus on the ordinary?
2. The __________ are not the same between painting and photography, though the devotion may be.
3. Modern photography seems to admit that __________ is the sum total of all art in photography.
4. The photographic __________ need not capture or immortalize transient defects, as it was now seen in society.
5. Photography is published in books with _______ of white space and precise layouts, making it seem artistic.
Essay Topic 1
In Plato's cave, the prisoners are only able to see the shadows of what is real, not the actual objects.
Part 1: Why do you think Sontag used this image to begin a discussion of photography?
Part 2: How would life be different if you could only see shadows?
Part 3: Do you think you'd like a world in which all you saw were the shadows? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Poetry and photography are two pieces of art which are subject to interpretation. The author might have one intention, but the audience may find another.
Part 1: Why do you think photography is open to interpretation?
Part 2: Why do you think poetry is open to interpretation?
Part 3: Do you think poetry or photography is more open to interpretation? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, Sontag points out that some people seem to prefer photographic images to reality.
Part 1: How are photographs superior to reality?
Part 2: Why do you think reality might be less appealing to others?
Part 3: Do you prefer photographs or reality? Why?
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)