|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "For the modernist promotion of naive art always contains a _______; that one continue to honor its hidden claim to sophistication."
2. The photographic __________ need not capture or immortalize transient defects, as it was now seen in society.
3. In later times, photography came to be viewed as an art, then as a high art, and today it is esteemed as a modern __________.
4. Sontag seems stereotype inscrutable Chinese values, smacking of the anti-Chinese ____________ in her time.
5. The film that Antonioni produced about the life of the Chinese was not shown in China until _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Sontag makes a bold assertion in regards to photography and the work of some artists. What does she assert?
2. What do most claim about the intentions of photography, according to the long essays in this chapter?
3. What does Sontag see as the central tension in photography, according to the discussion in this chapter?
4. Why is it so simple for people in society to collect photographs, according to the text in this chapter?
5. What kinds of subjects does it seem that painting and photography seem to favor, according to the argument in this chapter?
6. What does modern photography seem to say about this subject of the photograph and its importance?
7. What does photography have the power to do to truly beautiful things, according to this chapter?
8. What is difficult, if not impossible to do when it comes to looking at photographs, as opposed to looking at paintings?
9. What does a photographic portrait not need to do, instead it can mingle documentation with artistic rendering?
10. What was the progression of photography in relation to its artistic status, according to this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sontag makes a bold supposition that some artists create their works only to be photographed.
Part 1: Do you think an artist would only create something in order to get its picture taken?
Part 2: Why do you think artists create their pieces to begin with?
Part 3: Do you agree with Sontag's idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In its beginnings, photography was thought to be unnatural and disgraceful, though it eventually grew accepted and then revered.
Part 1: Why do you think photography was once thought to be unnatural?
Part 2: Why do you think the attitude toward photography changed over the years?
Part 3: In what ways is photography unnatural today? Why?
Essay Topic 3
According to Sontag, painting favors beautiful items while photography favors less than attractive objects.
Part 1: Why do you think painting is used for beautiful items?
Part 2: Do you think painting can only be used for beautiful things? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that photography focuses only on those things which are less attractive? Why or why not?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)