|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. However, photography can also make truly beautiful things seem _________, according to Sontag.
2. Photographs can mingle documentation with __________ rendering, according to Sontag in this chapter.
3. The __________ are not the same between painting and photography, though the devotion may be.
4. Modern photography seems to admit that __________ is the sum total of all art in photography.
5. Photography allows painting to focus on the purely __________ of the object being captured.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whitman strove to look beyond beauty and ugliness into the essential value of a person or object, something that photography can do as well.
Part 1: How do you define beauty in this world? Why?
Part 2: How do you define ugliness in this world? Why?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to look beyond ugliness and beauty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Photographs can capture beauty in all things, even things which are not supposed to be conventionally beautiful.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of beauty? Why?
Part 2: Why do you think it's important for some to capture images of beauty?
Part 3: How do beautiful images affect those who look at them? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, Sontag points out that some people seem to prefer photographic images to reality.
Part 1: How are photographs superior to reality?
Part 2: Why do you think reality might be less appealing to others?
Part 3: Do you prefer photographs or reality? Why?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)