|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many tribes view the act of taking pictures of something or of someone as ______________.
2. ___________ often reveal beauty that is not normally seen, according to Sontag in this chapter.
3. The Chinese government denounced Antonioni's film as anti-Chinese and anti-___________.
4. __________ is difficult, tedious, and performed by skilled experts, according to Sontag in this book.
5. Yet, photographs ________ what we often see more, according to the chapter.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it so simple for people in society to collect photographs, according to the text in this chapter?
2. What discussion does false photography illuminate in regards to the essential division in photography?
3. What does this chapter seem to believe the current definition of modern society is in relation to images and things?
4. What do the Chinese tastes prefer to see in their films, which made the Italian director a poor choice for the documentary on Chinese life?
5. What is one of the methods of falsifying photographs without changing the photograph itself?
6. How are vapid or banal objects made beautiful when they are photographed, according to this chapter?
7. What do some people think a photographer needs to 'become' in order to be proficient in his or her work?
8. In order to avoid the over-exposure of beautiful things, what becomes necessary in relation to beauty?
9. What does Sontag see as the central tension in photography, according to the discussion in this chapter?
10. What does a photographic portrait not need to do, instead it can mingle documentation with artistic rendering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Plato's cave, the prisoners are only able to see the shadows of what is real, not the actual objects.
Part 1: Why do you think Sontag used this image to begin a discussion of photography?
Part 2: How would life be different if you could only see shadows?
Part 3: Do you think you'd like a world in which all you saw were the shadows? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
False photography becomes another important concern in the art of photography, with false caption being included on some photographs.
Part 1: Why do you think some photographers use false captions with their photographs?
Part 2: Do you think it's 'right' to use captions which falsely describe a photograph? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the photograph changes when a false caption is used?
Essay Topic 3
Whitman strove to see what was similar in all beings as opposed to what was unique about people, it seems.
Part 1: Do you think people are unique or are we all the same? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the perception of the world change when you realize all people are the same?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to see similarities among people? Or isn't it?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)