|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some theorize that the practice of photography allows the disclosure of a ___________ truth.
2. In a sense, according to Sontag, photography actually helps to ____________ beauty as society defines it.
3. What art has had to struggle to become a high art, though others have not had to work as hard to get to that title?
4. The real problem with bringing ________ photographs into mainstream is a procedure which contradicts the nature of most photographs.
5. The collection of photographs is carried to the extreme in ____________, where these images are horded.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do photographs do to reality, according to this final chapter of the book as written by Sontag?
2. What do the Chinese tastes prefer to see in their films, which made the Italian director a poor choice for the documentary on Chinese life?
3. How are vapid or banal objects made beautiful when they are photographed, according to this chapter?
4. What is the struggle that's described in relation to paintings versus taking photographs, according to Sontag?
5. What was the progression of photography in relation to its artistic status, according to this chapter?
6. What is difficult, if not impossible to do when it comes to looking at photographs, as opposed to looking at paintings?
7. What do some people think a photographer needs to 'become' in order to be proficient in his or her work?
8. In order to avoid the over-exposure of beautiful things, what becomes necessary in relation to beauty?
9. What do some primitive tribes think about the idea of taking pictures of other people, according to this chapter?
10. Why are photographs considered to be a superior form of recording information, even more so than writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sontag also points out that some photographers are moralists, trying to identify a world vision.
Part 1: How do you think photographers are moralists? How does this label work?
Part 2: Why is it important to identify a world vision? Or isn't it?
Part 3: Is photography necessary in order to understand morality? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
According to Sontag, painting favors beautiful items while photography favors less than attractive objects.
Part 1: Why do you think painting is used for beautiful items?
Part 2: Do you think painting can only be used for beautiful things? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that photography focuses only on those things which are less attractive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Poetry and photography are two pieces of art which are subject to interpretation. The author might have one intention, but the audience may find another.
Part 1: Why do you think photography is open to interpretation?
Part 2: Why do you think poetry is open to interpretation?
Part 3: Do you think poetry or photography is more open to interpretation? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)