|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Balzac was one of many philosophers who believed that photographs are somehow permanently invasive of the process of ________.
2. This chapter says that society seems to prefer ________ to things, and continues to repeat this idea throughout the text.
3. Most - nearly all - __________ images are photographs, according to Sontag's findings.
4. The film director also focused on the most often ____________ features of Chinese life which were also humanizing.
5. The very act of ____________ something new casts it as something new and beautiful.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
False photography becomes another important concern in the art of photography, with false caption being included on some photographs.
Part 1: Why do you think some photographers use false captions with their photographs?
Part 2: Do you think it's 'right' to use captions which falsely describe a photograph? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the photograph changes when a false caption is used?
Essay Topic 2
Photography offers the viewer a chance to look upon others, without being judged for looking.
Part 1: Do you think it's a good thing for people to look upon others through pictures? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the ability to be a voyeur affects the person who is looking at the picture?
Part 3: Why do you think people feel safer looking at pictures than looking at the subject in real life?
Essay Topic 3
Whitman strove to see what was similar in all beings as opposed to what was unique about people, it seems.
Part 1: Do you think people are unique or are we all the same? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the perception of the world change when you realize all people are the same?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to see similarities among people? Or isn't it?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)