|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "For the modernist promotion of naive art always contains a _______; that one continue to honor its hidden claim to sophistication."
2. Who is NOT one of the authors presented in the section about photography in the literary world?
3. In general, modern photography claims that the ___________ is irrelevant within the picture's creation.
4. Who was rendered with Antonioni's typical flair and technique, featuring long shots, close-ups, jarring juxtaposition, and a focus on the ordinary?
5. The real problem with bringing ________ photographs into mainstream is a procedure which contradicts the nature of most photographs.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the methods of falsifying photographs without changing the photograph itself?
2. What does modern photography seem to say about this subject of the photograph and its importance?
3. What does Sontag see as the central tension in photography, according to the discussion in this chapter?
4. What do the Chinese tastes prefer to see in their films, which made the Italian director a poor choice for the documentary on Chinese life?
5. What do most claim about the intentions of photography, according to the long essays in this chapter?
6. What kinds of subjects does it seem that painting and photography seem to favor, according to the argument in this chapter?
7. What discussion does false photography illuminate in regards to the essential division in photography?
8. What do some primitive tribes think about the idea of taking pictures of other people, according to this chapter?
9. How are photographs presented as art in the modern society, according to this chapter of the book?
10. What does photography have the power to do to truly beautiful things, according to this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Sontag, painting favors beautiful items while photography favors less than attractive objects.
Part 1: Why do you think painting is used for beautiful items?
Part 2: Do you think painting can only be used for beautiful things? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that photography focuses only on those things which are less attractive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In its beginnings, photography was thought to be unnatural and disgraceful, though it eventually grew accepted and then revered.
Part 1: Why do you think photography was once thought to be unnatural?
Part 2: Why do you think the attitude toward photography changed over the years?
Part 3: In what ways is photography unnatural today? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Photography offers the viewer a chance to look upon others, without being judged for looking.
Part 1: Do you think it's a good thing for people to look upon others through pictures? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the ability to be a voyeur affects the person who is looking at the picture?
Part 3: Why do you think people feel safer looking at pictures than looking at the subject in real life?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)