|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A photograph is reliable as it is contrived through a __________, hence putatively reliable, process.
2. Photography is published in books with _______ of white space and precise layouts, making it seem artistic.
3. "Despite the efforts of contemporary photographers to exorcise the _____________, something lingers."
4. The main question becomes whether photography is a high art or if it is merely a __________ reproduction by a machine.
5. As a new art, photography constantly undergoes constant __________ as it must always be innovative.
Short Essay Questions
1. What discussion does false photography illuminate in regards to the essential division in photography?
2. What do the Chinese tastes prefer to see in their films, which made the Italian director a poor choice for the documentary on Chinese life?
3. What kinds of subjects does it seem that painting and photography seem to favor, according to the argument in this chapter?
4. What do some people think a photographer needs to 'become' in order to be proficient in his or her work?
5. What do photographs do to reality, according to this final chapter of the book as written by Sontag?
6. What does modern photography seem to say about this subject of the photograph and its importance?
7. What did the film Chung Kuo include that helped to present an accurate, though not flattering, picture of Chinese life?
8. What does photography have the power to do to truly beautiful things, according to this chapter?
9. Why is it so simple for people in society to collect photographs, according to the text in this chapter?
10. What do some theories speculate that photography allows the artist to capture when they are taking the photograph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whitman strove to see what was similar in all beings as opposed to what was unique about people, it seems.
Part 1: Do you think people are unique or are we all the same? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the perception of the world change when you realize all people are the same?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to see similarities among people? Or isn't it?
Essay Topic 2
Photography brings up a lot of emotions and reactions from those who take photos and from those who look at photographs.
Part 1: Why do you think photography creates such intense reactions in those who view it?
Part 2: Why do you think Sontag is so passionate about photography and spreading knowledge about it?
Part 3: How do you think photography hold so much power over those who view it and those who take pictures?
Essay Topic 3
Sontag points out that some photographers are like scientists, documenting and examining the world.
Part 1: Why do you think photographers could be called scientists?
Part 2: Do you think photography is necessary in science? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to document the world? Or isn't it?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)