|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chinese tastes favor well-______________ presentations within photography, according to the book.
2. Early in their history, photographs entered __________ where they were displayed in shows as were paintings.
3. Photographs in China are seen as another extension of _____________, which is why the film was misunderstood.
4. Who is NOT one of the authors presented in the section about photography in the literary world?
5. Most continue to claim that photography is entirely _________, according to the research of Sontag.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did photography enjoy a sudden burst in popularity, according to the text in this chapter?
2. What do the Chinese tastes prefer to see in their films, which made the Italian director a poor choice for the documentary on Chinese life?
3. What discussion does false photography illuminate in regards to the essential division in photography?
4. What does the final chapter have to present about the idea of images in relation to reality, something which may not be fully supported by the text?
5. Sontag makes a bold assertion in regards to photography and the work of some artists. What does she assert?
6. What does modern photography seem to say about this subject of the photograph and its importance?
7. What does photography have the power to do to truly beautiful things, according to this chapter?
8. Why are photographs considered to be a superior form of recording information, even more so than writing?
9. What was the progression of photography in relation to its artistic status, according to this chapter?
10. What kinds of subjects does it seem that painting and photography seem to favor, according to the argument in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sontag points out that some photographers are like scientists, documenting and examining the world.
Part 1: Why do you think photographers could be called scientists?
Part 2: Do you think photography is necessary in science? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to document the world? Or isn't it?
Essay Topic 2
Diane Arbus took pictures of people in society who might be considered freaks, something Sontag seems to judge.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of 'freaks'?
Part 2: Do you think there is value in the Arbus pictures? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you agree that those who are not 'normal' as defined by society are freaks? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
False photography becomes another important concern in the art of photography, with false caption being included on some photographs.
Part 1: Why do you think some photographers use false captions with their photographs?
Part 2: Do you think it's 'right' to use captions which falsely describe a photograph? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the photograph changes when a false caption is used?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)