|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What picture of Steichen's was composed of portraiture that showed the universal in the individual?
2. With the help of captions, photographs can be made to speak, but the caption is obviously ____________.
3. Like modern art, according to Sontag, photography lowers ___________ in those who view it.
4. According to Sontag, photographs are held to be definitive ___________, though Sontag does not support this idea with facts.
5. Photographs appropriate place and identity by the act of _________ reproduction, according to Sontag.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Farm Service Administration effectively show about the power of photography?
2. What has photography established, according to Sontag in this chapter in relation to how objects are seen?
3. Why did photography come to be seen as a type of copulation with the material world?
4. What does Surrealism strive to do in society, much like the goals of photography in the world?
5. What does Susan Sontag suggest that photography has made society do in relation to reality?
6. What did Whitman think about those things which are often deemed trivial and those things considered to be real?
7. Why is it unusual to include writing about Walt Whitman in a book about photography?
8. What do photographs do to the scale of an object within the photograph and in real life, according to Sontag?
9. Why does Sontag believe that tourists always use cameras during their trips to new and exciting places?
10. Are people with children more or less likely to own a camera, according to Sontag's own findings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sontag points out that some photographers are like scientists, documenting and examining the world.
Part 1: Why do you think photographers could be called scientists?
Part 2: Do you think photography is necessary in science? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to document the world? Or isn't it?
Essay Topic 2
In its beginnings, photography was thought to be unnatural and disgraceful, though it eventually grew accepted and then revered.
Part 1: Why do you think photography was once thought to be unnatural?
Part 2: Why do you think the attitude toward photography changed over the years?
Part 3: In what ways is photography unnatural today? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Sontag makes a bold supposition that some artists create their works only to be photographed.
Part 1: Do you think an artist would only create something in order to get its picture taken?
Part 2: Why do you think artists create their pieces to begin with?
Part 3: Do you agree with Sontag's idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)