|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The overall discussion in this chapter is that on some level, in photography, images are or supersede __________.
2. Photography requires dissociative __________ when the person is photographing an item or object.
3. It is __________ to distinguish one photographer's work from another, according to the opinion of Sontag.
4. Even though photographs are generally consistent, _________ tastes in photography exist and change over time.
5. _____________ is easy, rapid, and can be performed by just about anyone, according to Sontag.
Short Answer Questions
1. The film that Antonioni produced about the life of the Chinese was not shown in China until _____________.
2. As a new art, photography constantly undergoes constant __________ as it must always be innovative.
3. And others believe that all proficient photographers must metaphysically ________ the object which they are photographing.
4. The collection of photographs is carried to the extreme in ____________, where these images are horded.
5. Painting allows for __________ vision, while photography does not require this sort of vision.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the progression of photography in relation to its artistic status, according to this chapter?
2. Why are photographs considered to be a superior form of recording information, even more so than writing?
3. What does modern photography seem to say about this subject of the photograph and its importance?
4. Why did photography enjoy a sudden burst in popularity, according to the text in this chapter?
5. What is difficult, if not impossible to do when it comes to looking at photographs, as opposed to looking at paintings?
6. What is the struggle that's described in relation to paintings versus taking photographs, according to Sontag?
7. What does the final chapter have to present about the idea of images in relation to reality, something which may not be fully supported by the text?
8. What kinds of subjects does it seem that painting and photography seem to favor, according to the argument in this chapter?
9. What do the Chinese tastes prefer to see in their films, which made the Italian director a poor choice for the documentary on Chinese life?
10. What is one of the methods of falsifying photographs without changing the photograph itself?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)