|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some champion total self ____________ for the photographer in order to capture subjects in the way that makes sense for an audience.
2. According to the beginning of this chapter, photographs discover ___________.
3. The reaction to the film in China is illustrative of an essential ____________ difference in the way that photography is understood.
4. Photography is published in books with _______ of white space and precise layouts, making it seem artistic.
5. ___________ often reveal beauty that is not normally seen, according to Sontag in this chapter.
(a) Film slides.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invited Antonioni to make a film about the Chinese life and its culture?
2. _____________ is easy, rapid, and can be performed by just about anyone, according to Sontag.
3. The question becomes whether photography is a ___________ process of documentation via machine, or not.
4. Sontag says that some artists ___________ for the express purpose of having it photographed.
5. Photographs present the real, but it is a ________ real of acquisition via mechanical duplication, according to the chapter.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are photographs presented as art in the modern society, according to this chapter of the book?
2. What is difficult, if not impossible to do when it comes to looking at photographs, as opposed to looking at paintings?
3. What do some philosophers - namely Balzac - have to say about the idea or the act of taking photographs?
4. What does photography have the power to do to truly beautiful things, according to this chapter?
5. Why is a photograph of an object a more reliable way of looking at an object, according to the text in this chapter?
6. What kinds of subjects does it seem that painting and photography seem to favor, according to the argument in this chapter?
7. What do some theories speculate that photography allows the artist to capture when they are taking the photograph?
8. What do the Chinese tastes prefer to see in their films, which made the Italian director a poor choice for the documentary on Chinese life?
9. What does this chapter seem to believe the current definition of modern society is in relation to images and things?
10. Sontag makes a bold assertion in regards to photography and the work of some artists. What does she assert?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)