Lesson 1 (from In Plato's Cave)
Photography and its usefulness seem to be the main themes of this manuscript. And whether Sontag is a photographer or not, the ideas are compelling. Today's objective is to discuss the role of photography in the lives of the students today.
1. Have students make a list of the ways in which they use photography in their daily lives.
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss whether they think photography is something which will go away over time. Why or why not?
3. As a class, have the students discuss what the role of photography is in today's world. How are photographs used? How do they inform the culture? How to photos change the world?
4. Homework: Have students write about a time when they had their photograph taken.
5. Homework: Have students discuss the last time they took pictures of something. Why did they choose to take pictures?
This section contains 5,227 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)