|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wintermute now?
2. What does Case awake to?
3. What does Molly do before heading down to 3Jane's apartment?
4. What is 3Jane's apartment referred to as?
5. Which character's portrayal by Riviera is not a caricature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Case's "dream sequence."
2. What does Michele tell Case about the severity of his crimes?
3. What is the place where Neuromancer trapped Case? What is strange about it?
4. How is Case revived from the dream?
5. How does the story end? What happens to Case?
6. How does Molly get her revenge on Riviera?
7. Why does Case try to save Corto/Armitage?
8. How is Straylight described to Case?
9. How does Wintermute get Case and Maelcum into the Straylight?
10. How is the issue with the toxin resolved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the character of Molly and write an essay about her. Be sure to address:
1) The role Molly plays in other Gibson novels.
2) How her character develops over the course of these novels, and her relationships with other characters.
3) Whether Molly is a hero, an anti-hero, or a villain, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay detailing the many ways in which modern humans escape from reality, and the effect this has upon the species as a whole. Be sure to address:
1) Benefits of and dangers from escapism, fantasy, and alternative realities.
2) Recommendations for resolving any problems identified in the essay.
3) Personal examples of escaping from reality, along with explanations for the examples.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the unresolved issues and guilt that Case experiences in relation to his former girlfriend, Linda Lee. Be sure to touch upon:
1) What Linda represented to Case.
2) What Case would change if he had the opportunity to do things over again.
3) What Case's treatment of Linda tells us about his true character.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)