|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Case?
2. What does the matrix have its roots in?
3. What does Molly always think about first?
4. What company owns the construct?
5. What is Sammi's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is cyberspace?
2. Describe the show that Riviera performs at the restaurant.
3. What happened to Colonel Willis Corto?
4. Write a short character profile of Molly, and why she takes such an interest in Case.
5. How does Gibson describe technology, both new and old?
6. What happens to Case when he tries to hack into the AI?
7. What is the significance of Screaming Fist?
8. How does Case feel after the job is finished?
9. Who are the Tessier-Ashpools?
10. Describe the Rue Jules Verne.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay detailing the difference between human nature and the cold calculations of an AI such as Wintermute. Be sure to address:
1) Strategies humans can use against computer opponents.
2) Safety measures that can be taken to avoid a conflict between man and machine.
Essay Topic 2
Research the character of Molly and write an essay about her. Be sure to address:
1) The role Molly plays in other Gibson novels.
2) How her character develops over the course of these novels, and her relationships with other characters.
3) Whether Molly is a hero, an anti-hero, or a villain, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the role of cyberspace and the Internet in human development. Be sure to address:
1) The positive effects of the Internet.
2) The negative effects.
3) What you feel will be the long-term effect upon humanity, whether positive, negative, or both.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)