|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was operation Screaming Fist ripe for?
2. Who has contacted the Zionites?
3. What season is it?
4. Where does the start of the novel take place?
5. What does Riviera cause to appear in Case's drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Corto do after the trials are finished?
2. What does Flatline say is the problem with Wintermute? What can Case and Flatline tell about what Wintermute wants?
3. Why is being unable to enter cyberspace such a harsh penalty for Case?
4. What happened to Colonel Willis Corto?
5. Why does Case need to see Julie? What does Molly think about this?
6. What happens when the characters come upon Riviera?
7. What are Molly's feelings toward Armitage?
8. What does Case want Flatline to help him with? Why?
9. What do the Zionites tell Molly and Case about their significance?
10. How does Gibson describe technology, both new and old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that compares the love affair of Case and Linda Lee to the relationship of two characters in another novel. Be sure to touch upon:
1) Major similarities, such as tragedy.
2) Whether Case would be happier with a girl like Linda or a girl like Molly.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the role of technology in the human search for immortality. Be sure to address:
1) Possible applications of technology to extend human life, i.e., electronic encoding of the brain, medical science, cybernetics, etc.
2) Social, economic, and demographical effects of living forever.
3) Other methods, either scientific or mystical, by which humans have attempted to gain immortality.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay arguing either for, or against, human cloning. Be sure to address:
1) Moral and social implications.
2) Beneficial and nefarious uses of the technology.
3) Whether or not you feel human cloning will become commonplace, and why.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)