|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wintermute?
2. What type of pill does Case take in the teashop?
3. What is wrong with Case?
4. What does Flatline want Case to do with his construct when the job is finished?
5. What color is the sky at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is cyberspace?
2. What happened to Colonel Willis Corto?
3. Describe the Rue Jules Verne.
4. What does Corto do after the trials are finished?
5. What is so special about the bartender's appearance?
6. How does Case feel about the sprawl as he and Molly leave for Istanbul? How is the sprawl described by Gibson?
7. What does Flatline say is the problem with Wintermute? What can Case and Flatline tell about what Wintermute wants?
8. What does Case want Flatline to help him with? Why?
9. How does Case feel about the simstim link with Molly?
10. What happens to Case when he tries to hack into the AI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the unresolved issues and guilt that Case experiences in relation to his former girlfriend, Linda Lee. Be sure to touch upon:
1) What Linda represented to Case.
2) What Case would change if he had the opportunity to do things over again.
3) What Case's treatment of Linda tells us about his true character.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the name "Neuromancer," explaining its origin as described in the book. Additional points to address:
1) What is a necromancer, and what is the mythology surrounding the term?
2) Why are nerves and the nervous system so important in the context of the name "Neuromancer"?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that describes a literary technique and gives an example of where this occurs in the book Neuromancer. Be sure to address:
1) Whether the use of this technique adds to or detracts from the story or narrative.
2) Whether or not you feel this literary technique is effective.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)