|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Molly do to pay for her augmentations?
2. What is Armitage's real name?
3. Case has to jack, Molly has to...
4. What does Molly need?
5. What does Armitage do in his spare time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Case need to see Julie? What does Molly think about this?
2. What is the significance of Screaming Fist?
3. What makes the Panther Moderns unique? Why do you think Molly would want to involve them?
4. Why is being unable to enter cyberspace such a harsh penalty for Case?
5. What does Molly want Case do to about Armitage?
6. How does Case feel about the simstim link with Molly?
7. What do the Zionites tell Molly and Case about their significance?
8. What has Armitage done to Case to ensure his loyalty?
9. Write a short character profile of Molly, and why she takes such an interest in Case.
10. What happens to Case when he tries to hack into the AI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains Riviera's relationships with women, and how this personality trait can be seen through his actions in the novel. Be sure to address:
1) Any similarities Riviera has with real-life criminals.
2) How Riviera's actions caused Molly to plot to kill him.
3) The role the Riviera character plays in the novel, i.e., villain, comic relief, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the technological predictions that William Gibson has for the future. Be sure to address:
1) Whether or not the technologies described are realistic.
2) The likely impact of these technologies upon society.
3) Whether or not humanity will ultimately be better off with these new technologies.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay detailing the difference between human nature and the cold calculations of an AI such as Wintermute. Be sure to address:
1) Strategies humans can use against computer opponents.
2) Safety measures that can be taken to avoid a conflict between man and machine.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)