|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Molly spend some time in the spindle a while back?
2. What do the Panthers call Armitage?
3. Who invented nerve-splicing?
4. What is wrong with Case?
5. What does Molly need to get for Riviera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Molly want Case do to about Armitage?
2. How does Case feel about the sprawl as he and Molly leave for Istanbul? How is the sprawl described by Gibson?
3. Describe the show that Riviera performs at the restaurant.
4. Why do the police react so harshly to the emergency call?
5. When does Case first experience his anger?
6. How does Case feel after the job is finished?
7. What is Freeside? How is life and business there different? Why is Case not interested in it?
8. What was Case's profession? How did he lose his ability?
9. How does Case feel about the simstim link with Molly?
10. What is so special about the bartender's appearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the role of technology in the human search for immortality. Be sure to address:
1) Possible applications of technology to extend human life, i.e., electronic encoding of the brain, medical science, cybernetics, etc.
2) Social, economic, and demographical effects of living forever.
3) Other methods, either scientific or mystical, by which humans have attempted to gain immortality.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on compulsion and how it influences humanity. Be sure to touch upon:
1) Negative and positive aspects of compulsion.
2) The role compulsion plays in human culture and society.
3) How compulsion factors into Neuromancer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the name "Neuromancer," explaining its origin as described in the book. Additional points to address:
1) What is a necromancer, and what is the mythology surrounding the term?
2) Why are nerves and the nervous system so important in the context of the name "Neuromancer"?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)