|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Molly is not approved of in Turkey?
2. What does Armitage do in his spare time?
3. Where did Corto manage to escape to after almost dying in Siberia?
4. What does Molly need?
5. What is the name of the tug?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is cyberspace?
2. How does Gibson describe technology, both new and old?
3. How does Case feel about the simstim link with Molly?
4. What has Armitage done to Case to ensure his loyalty?
5. What are Molly's feelings toward Armitage?
6. How does Case feel about the sprawl as he and Molly leave for Istanbul? How is the sprawl described by Gibson?
7. How does Case feel about Corto's treatment at the hands of the government? What do you think he will do now?
8. Describe the Rue Jules Verne.
9. What does Case know about Wintermute?
10. When does Case first experience his anger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the genre "cyberpunk.'" Be sure to address:
1) Identifying characteristics of the genre.
2) How cyberpunk may have influenced the evolution of technology and the Internet.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay detailing the difference between human nature and the cold calculations of an AI such as Wintermute. Be sure to address:
1) Strategies humans can use against computer opponents.
2) Safety measures that can be taken to avoid a conflict between man and machine.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the technological predictions that William Gibson has for the future. Be sure to address:
1) Whether or not the technologies described are realistic.
2) The likely impact of these technologies upon society.
3) Whether or not humanity will ultimately be better off with these new technologies.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)