|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author start a campaign to revive in North Carolina?
2. What would the author travel with in his fantasy television show?
3. Who's eighteenth birthday does the narrator's family celebrate four days before Christmas?
4. What job does the narrator do at his place of after-school employment?
5. What job does the author take in San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his and others' behavior in trying to hide their homosexuality?
2. What does David begin to think about people at the end of his hitchhiking days?
3. What is David's discovery about the disabled? How does he use it to his advantage?
4. What does David realize at the end of "Drama Bug" regarding his mother?
5. Describe David's initial reaction to Curly's home.
6. How does David come to believe he must find a job in "Something for Everyone"?
7. What are David and his sister's after-school jobs in high school? How does David like his job?
8. How does the Sedaris family react to Dinah?
9. What does David fantasize college will be like?
10. What is David's reaction to San Francisco? How long is he there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make a case for what you feel is the strongest theme throughout the book as a whole. What theme appears in most essays?
Essay Topic 2
What takes place in "Next of Kin"? Where does the title derive from? How does this title take on two meanings in the text? What is the outcome of this story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the essay "Chipped Beef" in terms of theme, setting, stylistic elements, and fantasy.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)