|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is the last time the author heard from Peg?
2. Where does the author tell the person who picks him up hitchhiking that his father is?
3. Who is the only person who responds to the author's lengthy letters while at the apple orchard?
4. Who is labeled as an "incomplete quad"?
5. What does the author start a campaign to revive in North Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David try to right the wrong of his coworker in "Something for Everyone"?
2. What does David begin to think about people at the end of his hitchhiking days?
3. How does the author describe his and others' behavior in trying to hide their homosexuality?
4. How does the Sedaris family view marriage?
5. In what way does Peg change at the end of "The Incomplete Quad"?
6. Who is Dinah and what does Lisa say upon seeing her?
7. Why does David befriend the prisoners on staff in "Dinah the Christmas Whore" and what is his conclusion?
8. What is David's discovery about the disabled? How does he use it to his advantage?
9. Where does David live in college? Why? Who does he live with?
10. What does David's coworker do regarding money in "Something for Everyone"? How does David react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of language as a comedic technique in "Drama Bug." How does his family react to his behavior in this essay? What is the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of structure and motif in the essay "True Detective." Describe ways in which the author "sets up" the humor in this piece.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "Dinah the Christmas Whore." What events take place in this essay? What lesson does the author learn?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)