|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inspiring visitor comes to the author's school when he is in ninth grade?
2. What job does the author take in San Francisco?
3. Who's eighteenth birthday does the narrator's family celebrate four days before Christmas?
4. Who has drawn the author's name in the Christmas lottery for gifts?
5. What is the name of the man whom the author and Veronica worked for picking apples?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Sedaris family react to Dinah?
2. How does David try to right the wrong of his coworker in "Something for Everyone"?
3. Where does David live in college? Why? Who does he live with?
4. What does David's coworker do regarding money in "Something for Everyone"? How does David react?
5. What does David's mother do after several days of his new way of talking in "Drama Bug"? How does he react?
6. How does the Sedaris family view marriage?
7. Who is Dinah and what does Lisa say upon seeing her?
8. What does David's coworker do to try to get David fired? How does this backfire?
9. Where do David and his sister go in "I Like Guys"? Who do they befriend?
10. How does David come to believe he must find a job in "Something for Everyone"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What takes place in "Next of Kin"? Where does the title derive from? How does this title take on two meanings in the text? What is the outcome of this story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use and description of setting in Naked. How does Sedaris create a visual effect upon the reader? What settings are described in great detail?
Essay Topic 3
Make a case for what you feel is the strongest theme throughout the book as a whole. What theme appears in most essays?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)