|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David's coworker tell the woman whose apartment they're painting about David?
2. Where does the author end up riding much of the way on his bus trip to Oregon?
3. Where does the author return after his time in Oregon?
4. What is the name of the boy who sleeps in the bunk below David at camp?
5. How much money does David's coworker take from their boss's purse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David realize at the end of "Drama Bug" regarding his mother?
2. What does David's coworker do regarding money in "Something for Everyone"? How does David react?
3. What does David's coworker do to try to get David fired? How does this backfire?
4. Where do David and his sister go in "I Like Guys"? Who do they befriend?
5. In what way does Peg change at the end of "The Incomplete Quad"?
6. What is David's reaction to San Francisco? How long is he there?
7. Why does David befriend the prisoners on staff in "Dinah the Christmas Whore" and what is his conclusion?
8. How does David try to right the wrong of his coworker in "Something for Everyone"?
9. What does David fantasize college will be like?
10. What is David's discovery about the disabled? How does he use it to his advantage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the essay "Chipped Beef" in terms of theme, setting, stylistic elements, and fantasy.
Essay Topic 2
What takes place in "Next of Kin"? Where does the title derive from? How does this title take on two meanings in the text? What is the outcome of this story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of structure and motif in the essay "True Detective." Describe ways in which the author "sets up" the humor in this piece.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)