|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author hitchhike cross-country with, who was creating his own college major in Beat literature?
2. How many times has the author seen Planet of the Apes?
3. What year is the last time the author heard from Peg?
4. What does the narrator's mother wish to have done with her remains?
5. What is the name of the boy David sits next to on the plane to camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe David's initial reaction to Curly's home.
2. What is David's discovery about the disabled? How does he use it to his advantage?
3. Where does David live in college? Why? Who does he live with?
4. How does David's friendship develop in "I Like Guys"?
5. Why does David befriend the prisoners on staff in "Dinah the Christmas Whore" and what is his conclusion?
6. What is David's reaction to San Francisco? How long is he there?
7. What does David realize at the end of "Drama Bug" regarding his mother?
8. What does David fantasize college will be like?
9. Who finally hires David in "Something for Everyone"? Who is his coworker?
10. How does David try to right the wrong of his coworker in "Something for Everyone"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sedaris' use of satire. How does satire apply to a memoir piece? How does the author's structure reflect this style?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of religion in Sedaris' life and his essays. Which essays broach this subject? How is religion presented by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of "punch lines" in the text. What are examples of these in the essays? What is a "punch line" defined as?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)