|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator transfer after his first year in college?
2. Who tells about the little black girl who asked to touch her hair?
3. What is the name of the author's first roommate at Kent State?
4. What inspiring visitor comes to the author's school when he is in ninth grade?
5. How long is the summer camp that the author goes to in "I Like Guys"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who finally hires David in "Something for Everyone"? Who is his coworker?
2. What does David's coworker do regarding money in "Something for Everyone"? How does David react?
3. What does David's coworker do to try to get David fired? How does this backfire?
4. What are David and his sister's after-school jobs in high school? How does David like his job?
5. How does David try to right the wrong of his coworker in "Something for Everyone"?
6. What does David begin to think about people at the end of his hitchhiking days?
7. Where does David live in college? Why? Who does he live with?
8. How does the Sedaris family react to Dinah?
9. What does David fantasize college will be like?
10. Why does David befriend the prisoners on staff in "Dinah the Christmas Whore" and what is his conclusion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the essay "Chipped Beef" in terms of theme, setting, stylistic elements, and fantasy.
Essay Topic 2
Make a case for what you feel is the strongest theme throughout the book as a whole. What theme appears in most essays?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of religion in Sedaris' life and his essays. Which essays broach this subject? How is religion presented by the author?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)