|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does "Cyclops" refer to in Naked?
2. What does the narrator do with his shoe obsessively in the second essay?
3. What is the name of the church the author speaks of in the first essay?
4. Who comes to the house to speak to the author's mother in the second essay?
5. Who does the author's mother deduce would use a knife to perpetrate a crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David encounter when he returns to Dix Hill?
2. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
3. How does "Next of Kin" become passed through the family? What finally happens to it?
4. Why are the narrator's sisters kidnapped in "Chipped Beef"? How do his parents react?
5. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
6. Who injures the author in "Cyclops"? What is the result?
7. What is the eventual "cure" for David's tics? How?
8. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
9. Why does David discover his mother sobbing in the bathroom in "Chipped Beef"? What is his consolation?
10. How does Ya Ya feel about her grandchildren? How do they feel about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which essay examines the author's homosexuality? What does he use as the comparison/juxtaposition of his homosexuality? Describe the events and themes of the essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of structure and motif in the essay "True Detective." Describe ways in which the author "sets up" the humor in this piece.
Essay Topic 3
What are the events which take place in "Get Your Ya-ya's Out"? What themes does this piece reflect? How does the author describe the settings in this essay?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)