|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money is stolen from the author's father's dresser drawer in "True Detective"?
2. How much does the napkin holder made by the author weigh?
3. Where does the author's father vehemently object to the author moving?
4. What is the title of Sedaris' second essay in Naked?
5. What is Ya Ya diagnosed with in the third essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Ya Ya from, and how do she and David's mother feel about each other?
2. What leads Ya Ya to need to be cared for? How does this lead to arguments between the author's parents?
3. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
4. How does David's father obtain golf tees? Why does he collect them?
5. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
6. What does David's mother insist he stop doing to the cat? Why?
7. Who in David's family is taken to an institution? What effect does this have?
8. What does David do in order to clear his name in "True Detective"?
9. How does "Next of Kin" become passed through the family? What finally happens to it?
10. How was David's father brought up? How is his mother's cooking described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overriding theme of "family." What essays imbue this theme? How?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the following terms as they apply to Naked: Autobiography, Memoir, and Essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the essay "Chipped Beef" in terms of theme, setting, stylistic elements, and fantasy.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)