|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author's mother deduce would use a knife to perpetrate a crime?
2. What does the narrator say is his best asset in the first essay?
3. How does the author's father say his friend lost a foot?
4. Who calls the rent house where the narrator's family lived, "our own little corner of hell"?
5. Who does "Cyclops" refer to in Naked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who in David's family is taken to an institution? What effect does this have?
2. How does "Next of Kin" become passed through the family? What finally happens to it?
3. What happens after the golf tournament in "Women's Open"?
4. What is the eventual "cure" for David's tics? How?
5. Why does David discover his mother sobbing in the bathroom in "Chipped Beef"? What is his consolation?
6. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
7. What is the second household mystery in "True Detective"? What is the backlash the author finds himself in?
8. What does David fantasize about his "real parents" in "Chipped Beef"?
9. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
10. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of language as a comedic technique in "Drama Bug." How does his family react to his behavior in this essay? What is the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's fascination with hitchhiking in the essays. What is it about this activity that attracts him? What is his final conclusion regarding hitchhiking? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What takes place in "Next of Kin"? Where does the title derive from? How does this title take on two meanings in the text? What is the outcome of this story?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)