|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author's mother leave a video tape for once she's passed away?
2. Who leaves a large inheritance to the author's mother?
3. How does the author's father say his friend lost a foot?
4. Who is the only one in the household who seemed to enjoy the childrens' golf bags?
5. Who is the protagonist in "The Fugitive," which the author regularly checks in on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was David's father brought up? How is his mother's cooking described?
2. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
3. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
4. Why are the narrator's sisters kidnapped in "Chipped Beef"? How do his parents react?
5. What leads Ya Ya to need to be cared for? How does this lead to arguments between the author's parents?
6. Who injures the author in "Cyclops"? What is the result?
7. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
8. What happens after the golf tournament in "Women's Open"?
9. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
10. What does David fantasize about his "real parents" in "Chipped Beef"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make a case for what you feel is the strongest theme throughout the book as a whole. What theme appears in most essays?
Essay Topic 2
Which essay examines the author's homosexuality? What does he use as the comparison/juxtaposition of his homosexuality? Describe the events and themes of the essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "Dinah the Christmas Whore." What events take place in this essay? What lesson does the author learn?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)