|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the author's mother and older sister share a love for?
2. Where does the author's father vehemently object to the author moving?
3. Who does the author say wants to design a lunar module based on the shape of his skull?
4. What is the title of Sedaris' second essay in Naked?
5. What is the name of the church the author speaks of in the first essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
2. How does Ya Ya feel about her grandchildren? How do they feel about her?
3. What does David encounter when he returns to Dix Hill?
4. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
5. What is the eventual "cure" for David's tics? How?
6. Why does David discover his mother sobbing in the bathroom in "Chipped Beef"? What is his consolation?
7. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
8. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
9. What is the first mystery in "True Detective"? How is it solved?
10. How was David's father brought up? How is his mother's cooking described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Imagination versus Reality" in the essays of Naked. How does this theme carry across into different stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of structure and motif in the essay "True Detective." Describe ways in which the author "sets up" the humor in this piece.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of religion in Sedaris' life and his essays. Which essays broach this subject? How is religion presented by the author?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)