|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the author's father's second hiding place?
2. What does the author's mother claim happened to their first cat in the first essay?
3. What does Lisa complain is hurting her in "The Women's Open"?
4. How does Ya Ya start a fire while at the community living apartment?
5. What does the narrator do with his shoe obsessively in the second essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author's mother leave behind a video for Lisa? What is on it?
2. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
3. How does the Sedaris family react to Dinah?
4. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
5. In what way does Peg change at the end of "The Incomplete Quad"?
6. Who in David's family is taken to an institution? What effect does this have?
7. What are David and his sister's after-school jobs in high school? How does David like his job?
8. Describe the family's participation at church as detailed in "Chipped Beef."
9. What does David realize at the end of "Drama Bug" regarding his mother?
10. What does David begin to think about people at the end of his hitchhiking days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sedaris' use of symbolism, motif, and imagery. Define these terms and give examples of each from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of religion in Sedaris' life and his essays. Which essays broach this subject? How is religion presented by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Which essay examines the author's homosexuality? What does he use as the comparison/juxtaposition of his homosexuality? Describe the events and themes of the essay.
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)