|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author's father say his friend lost his right hand?
2. Who does the author's father say that Ya Ya found dead in the middle of the road?
3. At what golf hole does Lisa begin her period in "The Women's Open"?
4. What does the narrator's father find in his room when he searches it?
5. What is the name of the development that Ya Ya is moved to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was David's father brought up? How is his mother's cooking described?
2. What is the second household mystery in "True Detective"? What is the backlash the author finds himself in?
3. What does David fantasize about his "real parents" in "Chipped Beef"?
4. Why does the author's mother leave behind a video for Lisa? What is on it?
5. What is David's father's obsession? Where does he take them in "Women's Open"?
6. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
7. What does David do in order to clear his name in "True Detective"?
8. What is the first mystery in "True Detective"? How is it solved?
9. What is the eventual "cure" for David's tics? How?
10. Describe the family's participation at church as detailed in "Chipped Beef."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of structure and motif in the essay "True Detective." Describe ways in which the author "sets up" the humor in this piece.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Imagination versus Reality" in the essays of Naked. How does this theme carry across into different stories?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of language as a comedic technique in "Drama Bug." How does his family react to his behavior in this essay? What is the outcome?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)