|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many siblings does the author have?
2. Who does the author's mother leave a video tape for once she's passed away?
3. Who curses at the author's father in "The Women's Open"?
4. Who does the author's mother deduce would use a knife to perpetrate a crime?
5. What does the narrator say is his best asset in the first essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David's mother insist he stop doing to the cat? Why?
2. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
3. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
4. What is David's father's obsession? Where does he take them in "Women's Open"?
5. What is the eventual "cure" for David's tics? How?
6. How does "Next of Kin" become passed through the family? What finally happens to it?
7. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
8. Describe the family's participation at church as detailed in "Chipped Beef."
9. What does David fantasize about his "real parents" in "Chipped Beef"?
10. What is the first mystery in "True Detective"? How is it solved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What takes place in "Next of Kin"? Where does the title derive from? How does this title take on two meanings in the text? What is the outcome of this story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the essay "Chipped Beef" in terms of theme, setting, stylistic elements, and fantasy.
Essay Topic 3
Which essay examines the author's homosexuality? What does he use as the comparison/juxtaposition of his homosexuality? Describe the events and themes of the essay.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)