|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author's mother run over while taking him home from play practice?
2. What does the author say he has to tie over his eyes to sleep at night in the first essay?
3. The person in the newspaper article was robbed of $300 and what?
4. What is Ya Ya's recently deceased pet?
5. Who does "Cyclops" refer to in Naked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
2. What is the second household mystery in "True Detective"? What is the backlash the author finds himself in?
3. Why does David discover his mother sobbing in the bathroom in "Chipped Beef"? What is his consolation?
4. What does David fantasize about his "real parents" in "Chipped Beef"?
5. How does "Next of Kin" become passed through the family? What finally happens to it?
6. How does David's father obtain golf tees? Why does he collect them?
7. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
8. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
9. Why are the narrator's sisters kidnapped in "Chipped Beef"? How do his parents react?
10. What does David encounter when he returns to Dix Hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's fascination with hitchhiking in the essays. What is it about this activity that attracts him? What is his final conclusion regarding hitchhiking? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the essay "Chipped Beef" in terms of theme, setting, stylistic elements, and fantasy.
Essay Topic 3
Which essay examines the author's homosexuality? What does he use as the comparison/juxtaposition of his homosexuality? Describe the events and themes of the essay.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)