|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's teacher's name in the second essay?
2. Who does "Ya Ya" refer to?
3. Who is the only one in the household who seemed to enjoy the childrens' golf bags?
4. Where was the narrator/author born?
5. Where does the author's mother's family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Ya Ya to need to be cared for? How does this lead to arguments between the author's parents?
2. What happens after the golf tournament in "Women's Open"?
3. What does David encounter when he returns to Dix Hill?
4. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
5. How does David's father obtain golf tees? Why does he collect them?
6. Why does David discover his mother sobbing in the bathroom in "Chipped Beef"? What is his consolation?
7. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
8. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
9. What is the eventual "cure" for David's tics? How?
10. Where is Ya Ya from, and how do she and David's mother feel about each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of religion in Sedaris' life and his essays. Which essays broach this subject? How is religion presented by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use and description of setting in Naked. How does Sedaris create a visual effect upon the reader? What settings are described in great detail?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overriding theme of "family." What essays imbue this theme? How?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)