|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author's father store his money in the dresser?
2. Who's tee does the author's father encourage Lisa to go get?
3. The author writes in "True Detective," that to listen to his mother you'd have thought the streets of Raleigh were crawling with what?
4. What is the name of the author's father's friend with the missing eye?
5. What is the author's father's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ya Ya feel about her grandchildren? How do they feel about her?
2. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
3. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
4. What does Lisa complain about in "Women's Open"? How does her father react?
5. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
6. Who in David's family is taken to an institution? What effect does this have?
7. What is the first mystery in "True Detective"? How is it solved?
8. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
9. How does "Next of Kin" become passed through the family? What finally happens to it?
10. What does David encounter when he returns to Dix Hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of "punch lines" in the text. What are examples of these in the essays? What is a "punch line" defined as?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sedaris' use of satire. How does satire apply to a memoir piece? How does the author's structure reflect this style?
Essay Topic 3
What are the events which take place in "Get Your Ya-ya's Out"? What themes does this piece reflect? How does the author describe the settings in this essay?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)