|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ya Ya start a fire while at the community living apartment?
2. How many steps does it take the narrator to walk home from school in the second essay?
3. What is the author's eldest sister's name?
4. What does the author's mother claim happened to their first cat in the first essay?
5. What is the narrator obsessed with licking in the second essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Ya Ya from, and how do she and David's mother feel about each other?
2. What is the first mystery in "True Detective"? How is it solved?
3. Who in David's family is taken to an institution? What effect does this have?
4. Why does David discover his mother sobbing in the bathroom in "Chipped Beef"? What is his consolation?
5. What is the second household mystery in "True Detective"? What is the backlash the author finds himself in?
6. Why are the narrator's sisters kidnapped in "Chipped Beef"? How do his parents react?
7. How does Ya Ya feel about her grandchildren? How do they feel about her?
8. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
9. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
10. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's fascination with hitchhiking in the essays. What is it about this activity that attracts him? What is his final conclusion regarding hitchhiking? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overriding theme of "family." What essays imbue this theme? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sedaris' use of satire. How does satire apply to a memoir piece? How does the author's structure reflect this style?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)