|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls the rent house where the narrator's family lived, "our own little corner of hell"?
2. What do the narrator and his brother come to view their grandmother as?
3. What does the author's father collect in a goldfish bowl for good luck?
4. What does the author say he has to tie over his eyes to sleep at night in the first essay?
5. Where was the narrator/author born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the eventual "cure" for David's tics? How?
2. Why does David discover his mother sobbing in the bathroom in "Chipped Beef"? What is his consolation?
3. Who in David's family is taken to an institution? What effect does this have?
4. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
5. What happens after the golf tournament in "Women's Open"?
6. What does Lisa complain about in "Women's Open"? How does her father react?
7. What does David do in order to clear his name in "True Detective"?
8. Who injures the author in "Cyclops"? What is the result?
9. How does Ya Ya feel about her grandchildren? How do they feel about her?
10. What is the second household mystery in "True Detective"? What is the backlash the author finds himself in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Imagination versus Reality" in the essays of Naked. How does this theme carry across into different stories?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sedaris' use of symbolism, motif, and imagery. Define these terms and give examples of each from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme, "The Good and Bad of Humanity." How is this theme reflected in several essays? Give examples of persons from the text who represent each.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)