Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author's mother insist on doing with Ya Ya?
2. What does the narrator do with his shoe obsessively in the second essay?
3. What denomination is the money in Lou Sedaris' dresser drawer?
4. How old is the narrator when his grandfather died?
5. What is Ya Ya diagnosed with in the third essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David come to believe he must find a job in "Something for Everyone"?
2. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
3. What does David's coworker do regarding money in "Something for Everyone"? How does David react?
4. What does Lisa complain about in "Women's Open"? How does her father react?
5. What spurs the author to send for a brochure from a nudist colony?
6. How is a "pudding toss" described?
7. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
8. How does the author describe his and others' behavior in trying to hide their homosexuality?
9. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
10. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "Dinah the Christmas Whore." What events take place in this essay? What lesson does the author learn?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss where the principle setting is of the earlier essays in Naked. How does the author feel about where he grew up?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Imagination versus Reality" in the essays of Naked. How does this theme carry across into different stories?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)