Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author's mother insist on doing with Ya Ya?
2. What does the narrator do with his shoe obsessively in the second essay?
3. What denomination is the money in Lou Sedaris' dresser drawer?
4. How old is the narrator when his grandfather died?
5. What is Ya Ya diagnosed with in the third essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David come to believe he must find a job in "Something for Everyone"?
2. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
3. What does David's coworker do regarding money in "Something for Everyone"? How does David react?
4. What does Lisa complain about in "Women's Open"? How does her father react?
5. What spurs the author to send for a brochure from a nudist colony?
6. How is a "pudding toss" described?
7. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
8. How does the author describe his and others' behavior in trying to hide their homosexuality?
9. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
10. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
Discuss the author's fascination with hitchhiking in the essays. What is it about this activity that attracts him? What is his final conclusion regarding hitchhiking? Why?
Discuss the author's use of language as a comedic technique in "Drama Bug." How does his family react to his behavior in this essay? What is the outcome?
What takes place in "Next of Kin"? Where does the title derive from? How does this title take on two meanings in the text? What is the outcome of this story?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)