|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the reverend deliver his sermon in the first essay?
2. What is the author's youngest brother's name?
3. The author writes in the first essay, "It seemed that every Christmas my mother was _______."
4. Where was the narrator/author born?
5. Where does the author hide for his "stakeout" in "True Detective"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was David's father brought up? How is his mother's cooking described?
2. What is the eventual "cure" for David's tics? How?
3. Who injures the author in "Cyclops"? What is the result?
4. Why does David discover his mother sobbing in the bathroom in "Chipped Beef"? What is his consolation?
5. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
6. Describe the family's participation at church as detailed in "Chipped Beef."
7. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
8. How does David's father obtain golf tees? Why does he collect them?
9. Why does the author's mother leave behind a video for Lisa? What is on it?
10. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's fascination with hitchhiking in the essays. What is it about this activity that attracts him? What is his final conclusion regarding hitchhiking? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sedaris' use of symbolism, motif, and imagery. Define these terms and give examples of each from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overriding theme of "family." What essays imbue this theme? How?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)