|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes in the first essay, "It seemed that every Christmas my mother was _______."
2. What does the author say he has to tie over his eyes to sleep at night in the first essay?
3. Who does Ya Ya's roommate at the home say she is the step-sister to?
4. What kind of car has the author's father bought in the sixth essay?
5. What is the title of Sedaris' second essay in Naked?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
2. What does David's mother do after several days of his new way of talking in "Drama Bug"? How does he react?
3. What are the items required to bring to the nudist retreat? Which of these does the receptionist repeatedly mention, and why?
4. Who is Dinah and what does Lisa say upon seeing her?
5. What is the first mystery in "True Detective"? How is it solved?
6. Where is David in the beginning of C.O.G.? How pleasant is this trip?
7. What does David encounter when he returns to Dix Hill?
8. How does the Sedaris family view marriage?
9. How does David feel upon leaving the nudist retreat?
10. Describe David's initial reaction to Curly's home.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of "punch lines" in the text. What are examples of these in the essays? What is a "punch line" defined as?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sedaris' use of satire. How does satire apply to a memoir piece? How does the author's structure reflect this style?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sedaris' use of symbolism, motif, and imagery. Define these terms and give examples of each from the text.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)