|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the reverend deliver his sermon in the first essay?
2. How does the author's father say his friend lost his right hand?
3. What class does the narrator take when he is in junior high?
4. What is the name of the family in the book the author finds in "Next of Kin"?
5. Who does "Cyclops" refer to in Naked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "Next of Kin" become passed through the family? What finally happens to it?
2. Describe the family's participation at church as detailed in "Chipped Beef."
3. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
4. What happens after the golf tournament in "Women's Open"?
5. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
6. What does David's mother insist he stop doing to the cat? Why?
7. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
8. What leads Ya Ya to need to be cared for? How does this lead to arguments between the author's parents?
9. What is the second household mystery in "True Detective"? What is the backlash the author finds himself in?
10. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which essay examines the author's homosexuality? What does he use as the comparison/juxtaposition of his homosexuality? Describe the events and themes of the essay.
Essay Topic 2
What takes place in "Next of Kin"? Where does the title derive from? How does this title take on two meanings in the text? What is the outcome of this story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss where the principle setting is of the earlier essays in Naked. How does the author feel about where he grew up?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)