|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author hide for his "stakeout" in "True Detective"?
2. What does the narrator say his sister Lisa wouldn't know "if he crawled into her lap with a fistful of daisies"?
3. Who leaves a large inheritance to the author's mother?
4. What does the author refer to his minister as in the first essay?
5. How old is the narrator when his grandfather died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the narrator's sisters kidnapped in "Chipped Beef"? How do his parents react?
2. Describe the family's participation at church as detailed in "Chipped Beef."
3. What does David do in order to clear his name in "True Detective"?
4. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
5. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
6. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
7. What does David encounter when he returns to Dix Hill?
8. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
9. What does David's mother insist he stop doing to the cat? Why?
10. How was David's father brought up? How is his mother's cooking described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "Dinah the Christmas Whore." What events take place in this essay? What lesson does the author learn?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sedaris' use of satire. How does satire apply to a memoir piece? How does the author's structure reflect this style?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of "punch lines" in the text. What are examples of these in the essays? What is a "punch line" defined as?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)