|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author's mother leave a video tape for once she's passed away?
2. What is the author's father's name?
3. Who does the author say wants to design a lunar module based on the shape of his skull?
4. How does Ya Ya start a fire while at the community living apartment?
5. How much does the napkin holder made by the author weigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
2. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
3. Why are the narrator's sisters kidnapped in "Chipped Beef"? How do his parents react?
4. What is the first mystery in "True Detective"? How is it solved?
5. What is David's father's obsession? Where does he take them in "Women's Open"?
6. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
7. What does David do in order to clear his name in "True Detective"?
8. How was David's father brought up? How is his mother's cooking described?
9. What happens after the golf tournament in "Women's Open"?
10. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What takes place in "Next of Kin"? Where does the title derive from? How does this title take on two meanings in the text? What is the outcome of this story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's fascination with hitchhiking in the essays. What is it about this activity that attracts him? What is his final conclusion regarding hitchhiking? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the essay "Chipped Beef" in terms of theme, setting, stylistic elements, and fantasy.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)