|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does "Cyclops" refer to in Naked?
2. What is the Cyclops' occupation?
3. Who curses at the author's father in "The Women's Open"?
4. Where does the author's father vehemently object to the author moving?
5. How much money is stolen from the author's father's dresser drawer in "True Detective"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the eventual "cure" for David's tics? How?
2. What is the second household mystery in "True Detective"? What is the backlash the author finds himself in?
3. Why does David discover his mother sobbing in the bathroom in "Chipped Beef"? What is his consolation?
4. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
5. What does Lisa complain about in "Women's Open"? How does her father react?
6. Why are the narrator's sisters kidnapped in "Chipped Beef"? How do his parents react?
7. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
8. What does David fantasize about his "real parents" in "Chipped Beef"?
9. What does David's mother insist he stop doing to the cat? Why?
10. What is David's father's obsession? Where does he take them in "Women's Open"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use and description of setting in Naked. How does Sedaris create a visual effect upon the reader? What settings are described in great detail?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of religion in Sedaris' life and his essays. Which essays broach this subject? How is religion presented by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's fascination with hitchhiking in the essays. What is it about this activity that attracts him? What is his final conclusion regarding hitchhiking? Why?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)