|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does "Cyclops" refer to in Naked?
2. Which sibling of the author's holds an imaginary after school class in "Next of Kin"?
3. Who's tee does the author's father encourage Lisa to go get?
4. What is the author's teacher's name in the second essay?
5. What do the author's mother and older sister share a love for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David fantasize about his "real parents" in "Chipped Beef"?
2. What is the first mystery in "True Detective"? How is it solved?
3. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
4. What happens after the golf tournament in "Women's Open"?
5. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
6. What is the second household mystery in "True Detective"? What is the backlash the author finds himself in?
7. What does David do in order to clear his name in "True Detective"?
8. Who injures the author in "Cyclops"? What is the result?
9. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
10. What does David encounter when he returns to Dix Hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the essay "Chipped Beef" in terms of theme, setting, stylistic elements, and fantasy.
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss where the principle setting is of the earlier essays in Naked. How does the author feel about where he grew up?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sedaris' use of symbolism, motif, and imagery. Define these terms and give examples of each from the text.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)