|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the house to speak to the author's mother in the second essay?
2. At what golf hole does Lisa begin her period in "The Women's Open"?
3. What does the author say he has to tie over his eyes to sleep at night in the first essay?
4. What is the name of the family in the book the author finds in "Next of Kin"?
5. What does the narrator say is his best asset in the first essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David do in order to clear his name in "True Detective"?
2. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
3. Describe the family's participation at church as detailed in "Chipped Beef."
4. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
5. What does David's mother insist he stop doing to the cat? Why?
6. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
7. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
8. How was David's father brought up? How is his mother's cooking described?
9. How does "Next of Kin" become passed through the family? What finally happens to it?
10. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme, "The Good and Bad of Humanity." How is this theme reflected in several essays? Give examples of persons from the text who represent each.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "Dinah the Christmas Whore." What events take place in this essay? What lesson does the author learn?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss the following terms as they apply to Naked: Autobiography, Memoir, and Essay.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)