|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money is stolen from the author's father's dresser drawer in "True Detective"?
2. How old is the narrator when his grandfather died?
3. Where does the narrator say his family sits in the church in the first essay?
4. Where does the author's father vehemently object to the author moving?
5. What does the author's grandmother refer to his mother as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
2. Who in David's family is taken to an institution? What effect does this have?
3. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
4. Why does the author's mother leave behind a video for Lisa? What is on it?
5. Describe the family's participation at church as detailed in "Chipped Beef."
6. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
7. What does David do in order to clear his name in "True Detective"?
8. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
9. Who injures the author in "Cyclops"? What is the result?
10. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss where the principle setting is of the earlier essays in Naked. How does the author feel about where he grew up?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sedaris' use of symbolism, motif, and imagery. Define these terms and give examples of each from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overriding theme of "family." What essays imbue this theme? How?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)