|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator say his family sits in the church in the first essay?
2. Who does "Ya Ya" refer to?
3. What do the narrator and his brother come to view their grandmother as?
4. Where does the author's family move when he's a child?
5. What is Ya Ya diagnosed with in the third essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Sedaris family view marriage?
2. What does David encounter when he returns to Dix Hill?
3. Who injures the author in "Cyclops"? What is the result?
4. What are the items required to bring to the nudist retreat? Which of these does the receptionist repeatedly mention, and why?
5. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
6. How does David's friendship develop in "I Like Guys"?
7. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
8. Describe David's initial reaction to Curly's home.
9. How do the people at the nudist colony feel about New York? What do they say to express this?
10. Why are the narrator's sisters kidnapped in "Chipped Beef"? How do his parents react?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sedaris' use of satire. How does satire apply to a memoir piece? How does the author's structure reflect this style?
Essay Topic 2
What are the events which take place in "Get Your Ya-ya's Out"? What themes does this piece reflect? How does the author describe the settings in this essay?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of structure and motif in the essay "True Detective." Describe ways in which the author "sets up" the humor in this piece.
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)