|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ya Ya live above?
2. What does the author say he has to tie over his eyes to sleep at night in the first essay?
3. Who is the only one in the household who seemed to enjoy the childrens' golf bags?
4. How does the author's father say his friend lost his right hand?
5. What does the author's mother run over while taking him home from play practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the golf tournament in "Women's Open"?
2. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
3. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
4. Who injures the author in "Cyclops"? What is the result?
5. How does David's father obtain golf tees? Why does he collect them?
6. Where is Ya Ya from, and how do she and David's mother feel about each other?
7. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
8. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
9. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
10. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme, "The Good and Bad of Humanity." How is this theme reflected in several essays? Give examples of persons from the text who represent each.
Essay Topic 2
What are the events which take place in "Get Your Ya-ya's Out"? What themes does this piece reflect? How does the author describe the settings in this essay?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sedaris' use of satire. How does satire apply to a memoir piece? How does the author's structure reflect this style?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)