|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The capitalist buys what, along with the supplies, to make his product?
2. After the Greek epoch, the so-called Age of Faith occurred during what period?
3. Giambattista Vico produced some _____________________ during this time, although he is not as well-known.
4. In Europe, who was one individual who did advocate for rebellion against the church and its dictatorship?
5. What did Hegel fail to see that still existed in society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marx say about the capitalist?
2. What is the importance of competition? What example does Marx give to support this? How does this factor into capitalism?
3. What are the ideas of empiricism? Who supported these ideas?
4. Why does Marx not believe that simply raising the workers' salaries would change the situation?
5. What are dialectics and the dialectical method?
6. Who was Ludwig Feuerbach?
7. How do the foundations of Marx's economic thought begin to come together?
8. Who are the two types of men philosophy sees? Describe these two types.
9. What does Marx say about alienation?
10. For what ideas was Hegel attacked? Why was he attacked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To examine the roots of Marxism, Rius begins by looking at early man.
Part 1) What does Rius say about early man, according to Marx?
Part 2) Do you believe this is accurate? Why or why not?
Part 3) What does this reveal about Marx's beliefs about religion and its power over people?
Essay Topic 2
Many people would see Rius' attempt to summarize Marx as sacrilege.
Part 1) Why would they see it this way?
Part 2) Do you believe Marxism should be summarized? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why does Rius attempt to summarize Marx's works? What would Marx think of this? use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
French socialism was a major influence on Marx.
Part 1) Who are the French socialists? In what did they believe?
Part 2) Are their ideas about society possible? Why or why not?
Part 3) How did Marx use the ideas of these socialists to expand upon or support his own ideas?
Part 4) How did Marx take these philosophical views and make them more practical? Do you agree with these practical views on how to solve the economic problems for exploited workers? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)