|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does alienation do to men?
2. Seeing the world as mechanical is also known as what?
3. Hegel was attacked for these thoughts. Why?
4. Why would Hegel believe that a worker should not worry about the material?
5. A group of the intellectuals thought the means of production needed to be destroyed and that individuals should do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Kant's ideas?
2. What was the Communist Manifesto?
3. How do the foundations of Marx's economic thought begin to come together?
4. Describe an example given by Marx about a capitalist employer.
5. How does Rius begin to examine the roots of Marxism?
6. What is the importance of competition? What example does Marx give to support this? How does this factor into capitalism?
7. What does Marx say about the capitalist?
8. What does Marx say about alienation?
9. What are the ideas of Giambattista Vico?
10. What is meant by materialism becoming mechanistic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marx's major work was Capital.
Part 1) What is Capital? How is this a major work?
Part 2) Can this truly be considered a work entirely by Marx? Why or why not?
Part 3) What other works were completed by Marx? How might they have influenced the writing of Capital?
Essay Topic 2
Frederick Engels has a huge impact on Marx.
Part 1) Who was Frederick Engels? How did he impact Marx?
Part 2) Why did the two become friends? What do they have in common?
Part 3) Why might Marx be more well-known to the general population than Engels? Does this popularity make Marx more knowledgeable or a more profound philosopher than Engels? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Marx's work birthed political journalism.
Part 1) Describe Marx's work and its connection to journalism.
Part 2) How had journalism been changed and/or improved by Marx?
Part 3) How does journalism today reflect Marx's career as a writer and editor? Would you agree that he "birthed political journalism?" Why or why not?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)