|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How might Rius' approach to Marxism be described?
2. What is this philosophy of Hegel's that interested Marx?
3. With what was Marx charged and then acquitted?
4. What did Marx do even when he was misunderstood?
5. What does Rius think about some of Marx's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the creation of Capital.
2. What is the purpose of this book?
3. Describe Marx's existence.
4. Who is Frederick Engels?
5. What do many people think of Rius' attempt to summarize Marxism?
6. What else did Marx write?
7. How did Marx use his poverty to his advantage?
8. How did journalism change because of Marx?
9. How does the author describe Marx's works?
10. What gives Rius an amount of credibility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marx's work birthed political journalism.
Part 1) Describe Marx's work and its connection to journalism.
Part 2) How had journalism been changed and/or improved by Marx?
Part 3) How does journalism today reflect Marx's career as a writer and editor? Would you agree that he "birthed political journalism?" Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Marx and Engel wrote the Communist Manifesto.
Part 1) What is the Communist Manifesto? Why did they write it?
Part 2) How does this Manifesto reflect other philosophers works? How might it have influenced philosophers after Marx and Engels?
Part 3) How important is this Manifesto in Marx's career and title as the founder of Communism?
Essay Topic 3
Through Lenin, Marx's ideas reach a world audience.
Part 1) Who was Lenin? How did he use Marx's work? Why did he use Marx's work?
Part 2) Why was Marx relatively unknown during his lifetime? How then did his ideas become popular and well-known through Lenin?
Part 3) How did Lenin both help and hurt Marx's philosophies?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)